FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I love how they bragged about the AI making 1000 decisions per second yet 999 of them involve running over to the sidelines and waiting for my ai defender to knock it out of bounds, or run to the corner and cross.

Well I watched the first 30 mins of Fulham v Portsmouth last night and it seemed fine, ball zipped about no problem, so far it's only Fifa08 that's had issues, I'll try UCL and the PES demo later to see if they have the same issue when the ball moves about quickly.

I tried UCL and the PES2008 demo, both show a little sutter/lag whatever you want to call it when the ball is in the air and the camera is panning but not as much as when playing Fifa08.

I tried UCL and the PES2008 demo, both show a little sutter/lag whatever you want to call it when the ball is in the air and the camera is panning but not as much as when playing Fifa08.

What tv do you have and what is the response time on it?

The game is quite boring now, my league has finished I won the championship with saints, went unbeaten, and won both cups, I can say all the teams play the same. I had the FA cup final vs tottenham last game of the season and I had plymouth before that, I got a 1-1 draw vs plymouth, who was annoyingly good for a 1 and a half star team, I should of won still but probably 2-1 at most, I conceeded a crap stupid goal, I let the striker have a millimetre of space away from the defender, for him to have a perfect shot, top corner :( realism. Anyway then I went on to thrash tottenham, they played exactly the same, just I played better, thats the only difference, I thrashed them, they didnt play better, their better players didnt seem 'better' same goes for when I played Manchester United and beat them in the FA Cup semi 2-1 and the league cup final 1-0 they arent any different...

The game is annoying, the response kills it online, not only do you have poor response, you have lag, then when you have lag, the response is even worse, its like super unresponsive.

Its true how the computer can out muscle you, as you go up levels it gets worse, I swear thats the only difference in difficulty at Pro, World Class and Legendary, dunno bout the other two as only played each once just for the achievements.

What tv do you have and what is the response time on it?

Sirius 32" (LG Panel) response time is 6ms, max resolution 1366 x 768 (WXGA).

I tried changing down to 640x480 and it's much smoother, I'd say about 80% of the "camera panning" lag is gone, so doesn't that imply it's an issue with the game running at 1366 x 768 rather than my TV?

I tried changing down to 640x480 and it's much smoother, I'd say about 80% of the "camera panning" lag is gone, so doesn't that imply it's an issue with the game running at 1366 x 768 rather than my TV?
It would, if I didn't play it at the high resolution and suffered from no lagging whatsoever!

Yes I use the official MS VGA cable (the unofficial ones produced horrible ghosting), and yes I have the premium rather than the core but I'm sure that wouldn't make a difference, the graphics hardware is exactly the same minus the HDMI (and I've played on the old and new console revisions, the no-HDMI and the HDMI, no difference - and I've even played on 640x480 when I played FIFA 08 at a friend's house, no performance difference that I noticed).

Very strange.

Indeed, trust it to be the game that I will play the most, if it was PGR4 or something like that I wouldn't mind, but PGR4 as mentioned runs perfectly at high res as does everything else I tried :(

I'm afraid I'll be jumping ship too by the looks and going back to PES, I may even just get the PS2 version, as the PS3 version would just have me foaming at the mouth because of the fact they have left/removed/could not be arsed with most of the stuff... I just don't feel in control of the players, I have been trying for some time now to come to grips with the same problems that a lot of people have already posted. There are a lot of faults as there are with PES/WE, the scripts or AI cheats are there in both games too just in different guises. But the main moan I have has to be the lack of control and the delay.
I love the full leagues (even though they can't be arsed to do them right) and I know I'm going to hate going back to just two, but I'm certain as soon as PES 2008 is out I'll be back to that...

I really don't get where people are coming from when they say lack of control and lack of first touch and all that, just press LB when receiving the ball and your guys stops it the ball dead when he receives it, press LB and pull a direction and your guy receives the ball, instantly controls it and faces the new direction you chose (that's LB on new alternative), I'm using Sheffield Wednesday, their players aren't exactly bless with high stats....

Yes I use the official MS VGA cable (the unofficial ones produced horrible ghosting), and yes I have the premium rather than the core but I'm sure that wouldn't make a difference, the graphics hardware is exactly the same minus the HDMI (and I've played on the old and new console revisions, the no-HDMI and the HDMI, no difference - and I've even played on 640x480 when I played FIFA 08 at a friend's house, no performance difference that I noticed).

When you choose 1366 x 768 i the Xbox menu does your TV show that it has changed to that resolution? When I choose for example 640x480 the TV displays "640x480 RGB" in the bottom right corner, and that changes as I choose different resolutions, but when I choose 1366 x 768 it displays "1024x768 RGB" instead, which makes no sense? :(

When you choose 1366 x 768 i the Xbox menu does your TV show that it has changed to that resolution? When I choose for example 640x480 the TV displays "640x480 RGB" in the bottom right corner, and that changes as I choose different resolutions, but when I choose 1366 x 768 it displays "1024x768 RGB" instead, which makes no sense? :(
That shows that it's the TV then that doesn't support the mode then. :(

It should state the same resolution as the resolution you're selecting from the 360, all TVs should (and mine certainly does), unless A) something isn't configured in the TV setup (you may be able to change the resolution setting on the TV yourself if you look deep enough), or B) the TV doesn't support it (which is much more likely unfortunately).

Anyone else notice how inconsistent the free kick decisions are? The amount of times a free kick is awarded (and in some cases a booking) for only the slightest tap is annoying me. This also happens when I have clearly won the ball and haven't gone through the opposition player or even touched him in any way.

However sometimes I do the most disgusting dirty tackle ever and I have completely taken the man out and in this case a free kick isn't awarded. It completely shocks me.

Also, how come a guy from Notts County can take free kicks as accurate as Ronaldinho/Ronaldo from 30 yards out?? The free-kick issue is a joke.

Oh and how do you draw a player to you? sometimes I'm stuck with the ball for about 10 secs fending of the opposition as I try to find an option to pass. I even try and find space and players just wont move into space.

I really don't get where people are coming from when they say lack of control and lack of first touch and all that, just press LB when receiving the ball and your guys stops it the ball dead when he receives it, press LB and pull a direction and your guy receives the ball, instantly controls it and faces the new direction you chose (that's LB on new alternative), I'm using Sheffield Wednesday, their players aren't exactly bless with high stats....

I'm talking about overall control of what your player is doing, not first touch. I'm asking the gut to do things and then waiting for him to think about it a bit, then just as he's about to do it, whizz the defenders there to whip it away!

I really don't get where people are coming from when they say lack of control and lack of first touch and all that

Totally agree with you. I play some stunning football with Paris Saint-Germain.

Anyway, has anyone tried PES after playing this? I played it at my brother's last night - we laughed our heads off at how arcadey it felt!

Sounds like its your tv placebo. Ive got a samsung 37inch and havent noticed any stuttering. Very smooth. Also core, ms vga cable. Otherwise try a lower resolution like the 1024x768. Although its strange as that a 4:3 aspect ratio. Have you given the 1280x720 a go, and p or i options?

I had the 360 connected to a sony 40inch downstairs when i was playing forza and that didnt except the 1368x768 resultion. It did do the 1280x720 one. The samsung on the otherhand excepted the full resolution straight away. Maybe you just need to find an optimum setting between the 360 and the tv.

Sounds like its your tv placebo. Ive got a samsung 37inch and havent noticed any stuttering. Very smooth. Also core, ms vga cable. Otherwise try a lower resolution like the 1024x768. Although its strange as that a 4:3 aspect ratio. Have you given the 1280x720 a go, and p or i options?

I had the 360 connected to a sony 40inch downstairs when i was playing forza and that didnt except the 1368x768 resultion. It did do the 1280x720 one. The samsung on the otherhand excepted the full resolution straight away. Maybe you just need to find an optimum setting between the 360 and the tv.

Well the TV is supposed to do 1368x768, that's what it says in all adverts and literature for the brand, funnily enough it did 1280x1024 just fine and surely that's a higher resolution than 1368x768? I ended upl playing on 1280x728 or something, that registered on the TV and was pretty smooth, I guess at the end of the day it is a budget TV, but it's annoying that TV shows, movies (720p or 1080i) play fine and look great quality, games like PGR4, Forza2, Bioshock etc play fine and look great quality, Fifa08 looks really good but camera panning stutters and of course Fifa is the one game I want to play :(

Totally agree with you. I play some stunning football with Paris Saint-Germain.

Anyway, has anyone tried PES after playing this? I played it at my brother's last night - we laughed our heads off at how arcadey it felt!

I JUST played the demo of PES2008 and it's ATROCIOUS compared to Fifa 08.

YES it IS smoother than Winning Eleven 2007 on the 360. Yes the player models are better BUT the gamplay the stdiums and grass and everything but the nets look and feel as they did on PS2. NEXT GEN IT IS NOT

I JUST played the demo of PES2008 and it's ATROCIOUS compared to Fifa 08.

YES it IS smoother than Winning Eleven 2007 on the 360. Yes the player models are better BUT the gamplay the stdiums and grass and everything but the nets look and feel as they did on PS2. NEXT GEN IT IS NOT

Except that from everything I've seen, the stadiums are definitely next-gen, and everything else couldn't be done the same on a PS2/Xbox/GameCube, so it IS next gen. Shit? Yes, Next-Gen? Yes.

It seems i just can't fall in love with this Game :-/

I don't know why but it is just no joy for me. i find it boring right now, every game feels just the same. everytime i play against the cpu, i build up my game the same way. my cpu players always makes the same runs, there is no surprising situation at all.

cpu teams always play the same style too. always running down the wing and trying to cross. and men, i really hate this cpu "running in circles". you can't defend this shit some times. defending against the cpu is really crap (defending on crosses (corners)is all about luck).

it is really sad - this game looks fantastic and it has some of the best animations i have ever seen in a footy game. sometimes it looks scary real but it is just no fun at all for me. and i really want to love this game.

i am not sure - maybe i am still playing this game the wrong way. i would love to see some videos of some games against CPU Teams. Maybe some of you are willing to make 1-2 videos of a Full Game against CPU Teams. That would be great -lets show how you are playing against this damn CPU.

Last edited:

You're right about the CPU playing the same way no matter which team they are, also right about the CPU always resorting to crossing from the wings, and right about the CPU running in circles (even out of play if they're by the sideline).

Anyone else notice how inconsistent the free kick decisions are? The amount of times a free kick is awarded (and in some cases a booking) for only the slightest tap is annoying me. This also happens when I have clearly won the ball and haven't gone through the opposition player or even touched him in any way.

However sometimes I do the most disgusting dirty tackle ever and I have completely taken the man out and in this case a free kick isn't awarded. It completely shocks me.

same here...

had another go this morning before work and to my utter suprise I played some decent football on this for once. I thrashed Arsenal 3-0 with my United side. Rooney smashed in 2 top corner efforts from outside the box and Scholes scored a simple tap in after great work by Ronaldo.... Perhaps I was trying to run faster too much and thats why the control of the ball goes out of the window?

Perhaps I was trying to run faster too much and thats why the control of the ball goes out of the window?

Yes mate, we all discovered that about 50 or so pages back ;) It definately causes you problems trying to sprint all the time, as it would in real life. Take your finger off the sprint button, take your time on the ball, look around, use the radar, pick every pass. Score goals. Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom