FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I have two of the biggest tips that probably noone has mentioned - if they have I"m too lazy to say otherwise ;)

The following are based on the New Alternate Control Settings. I have autoswitching at 2 clicks from the left.

Pass - Semi
Through Pass - Assisted
Shot - Semi
Cross - Semi
Lob Pass - Manual

Level - World Class, 10 minutes

Tactics - Attack, Defense Line - Normal, Pressure - Own Half.

1. Tap L1 (Jockey) button all the time when you want to keep close control. DO NOT HOLD IT DOWN - that does nothing. By tapping it repeatedly and moving your player in a circle, you'll avoid those annoying perfect tackles by the AI. Remember it also depends on your players ability so don't get mad if it doesn't work all the time.

2. When defending. Instead of just using L1 (Jockey), hold down both buttons L1 and R1, so that your player strafes from side to side. Do not press the tackle button unless you are absolutely sure you can make the tackle. I use this method of strafing when the cpu is going right up the gut as they tend to do consistently - this frustrates them and they end up passing to the wings, thus becoming very one dimensional.

Speaking of the wings - I have no idea how to defend it, it's pretty difficult.

quoting myself because I know it this post will get lost on the previous page. I may have gone through all the pages - but I'm sure noone else will :)

How is it that I'm playing some players online and they can hold the sprint button constantly and their players never tire? They always seem to get to every goalkicked header first (even though I am jockeying for the ball) and they can turn so quickly while running with the ball, kinda like PES?

That last guy I played was only Celtic and I was PSV, so pretty evenly matched. Yet he was running EVERYWHERE, I had no space with the ball as his midfield and defence covered everything and when he had the ball, he skated around me with absoloute ease WHILE sprinting? And yes I was standing off, using jockey and not pressing him constantly. But it was like he was Madrid and I was Basingstoke or something. Really don't understand why his players seemed so much better and could run for as long as they wanted.

I'm seriously getting annoyed with people who keep picking manchester united, inter, chelsea and barcelona. I quit 15 matches today at the selection screen.

Yeah, same here. I've been playing online for a while and I have skipped lots of matches. I'm done with Barcelona, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Anyway, I've managed to play against some cool guys and we've had some great matches - Sevilla (me) vs Valencia, Braga (me) vs Benfica, Benfica (me) vs Sporting. Awesome stuff. :D

By the way, fancy a game in about 45 minutes, mjsmith2k? :p

Question about playing online.....

I know that we can of course only use default squads online and we can't use custom formations, but is there anyway I can set up my lineup and tactics out of that default squad and have it saved so that I don't have to spend 10 minutes before every online match choosing my starting lineup/kick takers/tactics?

Anyone got an answer to this please? :)

After using SMASA for my controls for some time now i went to my mates who has the default setup and it makes the game very very easy

I think using the default settings online against Semi or Manual players would give players a huge advantage

Now that I am playing the game on my new HDTV it seems the pace of the game has gone up a notch or am I going crazy

How is it that I'm playing some players online and they can hold the sprint button constantly and their players never tire? They always seem to get to every goalkicked header first (even though I am jockeying for the ball) and they can turn so quickly while running with the ball, kinda like PES?

That last guy I played was only Celtic and I was PSV, so pretty evenly matched. Yet he was running EVERYWHERE, I had no space with the ball as his midfield and defence covered everything and when he had the ball, he skated around me with absoloute ease WHILE sprinting? And yes I was standing off, using jockey and not pressing him constantly. But it was like he was Madrid and I was Basingstoke or something. Really don't understand why his players seemed so much better and could run for as long as they wanted.

Are you sure he was playing on his own??

I have had the same problem when playing against 2 people as they have more control over more area's of the pitch.

just a thought??

Has anyone managed to upload a successful replay on the PS3 version?..Everytime ive tried it, it just says that it couldnt upload properly and tbh its starting to piss me off.. So any suggestions?

Was having the same problem. PS3 was showing NAT2 and uPnP available in network settings but still couldn't upload vids - changed the PS3 to a static ip address and put it in DMZ on my router config page and now video upload works every time.

Hope that helps you too.

Sorry miguel I had to pop out. I'll give you a game. Let me know when you are next available. Cheers

Is it in an enclosed space? Try bringing it out where it can get some circulation. As a last resort, put a fan right next to it on full blast. =P

It's weird, becauae at the time that happened, it was on a desk in my sisters room and when I touched it to check, it was cold to the touch, so it certainly didn't seem like it was overheating.

Similarly last night it was in a wide open space in my living room, and again, it wasn't hot, so I'm confused.

Question about playing online.....

I know that we can of course only use default squads online and we can't use custom formations, but is there anyway I can set up my lineup and tactics out of that default squad and have it saved so that I don't have to spend 10 minutes before every online match choosing my starting lineup/kick takers/tactics?

Yeah I would like to know this too. :)

Anyone?

Well I downloaded the roster update, saved it, went into squads, changed Sheffield Wednesday's starting line up, saved the squads again, started an online game with someone, and lo and behold the starting lineup is reset to default, so thanks a fucking bunch EA for your ineptitude, we all have to spend 10 fucking minutes every fucking game sorting out our lineups, kick takers, tactics, formation, how hard would it have been to let it save that information? FFS.

I am sick to death of the fucking reactions on FIFA, I really am. It's been like this for years, "FIFA reactions" as affectionatly known by me and my friend. It REALLY pisses me off when you press to do something but the game refuses to acknowledge the button until it wants to, by which time the situation has changed completely anyway!

Fucking useless trying to hit a long ball with someone within 10 foot because it takes an AGE for him to power it up and hit it, whereas normally you'd just hit it. If I kick a long pass in real life, it doesn't take me two or three seconds to swing my leg. Useless.

And no point trying to control a ball either, because that also takes a fucking age again. By the time he controls it, a defender runs 10 foot, takes the ball off you and leaves your play in mid-animation.

Really pissing me off these response times and it not doing what I want it to do when I want it done. Far too many times I've pressed a button to pass but the game reacts to it when I'm right next to the opposition player. Or when I'm running onto a free ball and I press to tackle as it looks like the opposition will get it, but instead of tackling he waits for the ball and has a shot from my half!

Forget trying to shield the ball and hold it up too. Wayne Rooney ran with the ball yesterday against Estonia and was pushing into the defender as well, shrugging HIM off and got a free kick in the end. Why can't these FIFA players have some strength and hold players off? Why can't they hold their back to a player and shield the ball? Why do we always have to pass it when someone gets within 5 yards because you KNOW you'll be tackled?

Have a shot which the defender deflects and falls to your player with just the keeper to beat? Doesn't matter, your player will trot around the ball happily while the opposition steams at full speed towards it and takes it.

I'm getting really sick of the flaws in this game now. I've tried so hard to like it, I want to enjoy the leagues like everyone else. But when the points I mentioned above come into it, it because more like watching an interactive Powerpoint presentation where I have to wait for the slide to appear on screen before I can click to the next slide.

It has nothing to do with "but if the players foot isn't by the ball then he can't kick it" because if I was running/jogging at a player in real life, and knew I was going straight into him, then I'd stretch my foot out and at LEAST have an ATTEMPT at passing the ball out, NOT just keep running aimlessly into the player and trying to kick the ball when the opposition has already tackled me.

Reaction times have plagued FIFA for years, it's always been the same where they never react when you press a button. How it's not been fixed after all these years I'll never know. The worst thing is, PES has got much better reaction times ... but the gameplay in general is shit. So no football game this year which I'll really enjoy. Again.

I'm with you snoop, totally agree. Reaction times and clunky, thudding players are spoiling an otherwise excellent game for me.

It's weird, becauae at the time that happened, it was on a desk in my sisters room and when I touched it to check, it was cold to the touch, so it certainly didn't seem like it was overheating.

Similarly last night it was in a wide open space in my living room, and again, it wasn't hot, so I'm confused.

Could be that it's just the CPU/GPU heating up and nothing else.

Single player I have no issue with the reaction times, they're fine for me and I'm attuned enough to the game to assess which way to turn when receiving the ball or to first time pass or whatever to not give it away or be tackled (or at least a good percentage as there's no 100%), I don't like the reaction times in PES, it's not realistic at all IMO, the football I watch week in, week out doesn't have players perfectly controlling the ball first touch, perfectly, instantly turning and reacting first touch.

That said, once there's a little lag online it then really becomes a chore, I was playing JayD earlier and it was a nightmare, lag meant that half the button presses just didn't trigger at all, other half just responded to far too slow to plan any decent passing moves or attacks and such......

Guys, I keep playing ranked matches but if i look to my xbox live career i see as Solo-Connected matches.

What is wrong? am i missing something? Obviously i have no rank on the FIFA 08 360 ranking system

Snoop you summed it up perfectly... it's ruining my experience too. I hope to god that PES 2008 comes through for me.

I've started a league one tournament and my players don't have the best ratings as it is but you really notice that the reaction times are shocking. I feel as if the whole thing is lagging. The super cancel also lags sometimes.. say for example I pressed X by mistake when my goalkeeper has the ball and then hit super cancel to stop him he goes right ahead and passes it anyway it doesn't register. The amount of times my keeper has passed straight to the opposition isn't funny anymore. Also, the direction of my pass sometimes doesn't register.

I'm still holding out and hoping the games gets better for me.

Do any of you that dont have a mic here other people through your tv?

I never use the mic but every now and again I can here people saying stuff through the tv - I'm not going mad!!

I played against mexico and got humped - everytime he scored I heard the little mexican shout and him say little words and laughing!! it doesn't happen all the time - but I wonder how it happens?

Irs quite muffled - but I have heard it a few times now and with english speaking players swearing and stuff.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced it?

bbbybx I heard it in the Call of Duty 4 Beta on the 360 a few times. I thought I was going mad at first too.

Just played my 3rd game online, i got LOADs of lag, my first 2 were fine.

Does the home team host the 1st half and the away team host the second half?

Back
Top Bottom