FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Put some more hours into it. After 2 weeks of playing, I'm beggining to master it and it's totally amazing. It requires a lot of work, it's HARd, and the learning curve is high. But at the end, when you feel yourself controlling both sticks and all buttons in a flowing way, then you can play football closer to reality. Much closer than in pes for a fact.

The thing is that people like toaboa simply expect to shoot in every attack, thay don't enjoy simply working the ball in the midfield. I played in barcelona youngsters as a midcenter (guardiola was the leader in the A team and I was a sub in the B team for that age) and enjoy a lot this Fifa, so I guess it might go down to this: if you enjoy watching a real football match (not always Barcelona - Chelsea, but ANY football match, like Auxerre - Lens or Almería - Getafe) you'll feel Fifa is getting closer to it and it's great. In the other hand, if you are one of those that think football is only the champions league highlights reel of the week, then maybe you prefer pes.

I'm enjoying a LOT playing with Peterborough in my manager mode. With some free agents signed in and a little work, my boys are ranking 1st in january, 2 points ahead Luton. Beware, in 4 years we are winning the Champions!

Some good points mentioned, especially saying FIFA is like a full match and PES is like a highlights reel. PES fans are used to constant shots and not having to work to get to goal. Sort of what I've been trying to say in my previous posts when I refer to the one-touch passing.

Plan M :) dude im not bigging up PES and slagging FIFA. I know PES has its faults too mate.

I know that mate, I wasn't getting defensive! Play what you want to play at the end of the day!

Like a post mentions above, you HAVE to put work into the game and really get into it. If you play it with a negative mindset and hold "sprint" with "pressure" all the time to win the ball back you are going to get frustrated. :)

The demo is an early build which plays too quick. You can't judge the game by that.

I have seen countless amounts of videos and screenshots too mate - it still looks WAY too fast for me. Now I am used to FIFA 08 I just know that I will find PES 08 too arcadey. Each to their own though mate. :)

The thing is that people like toaboa simply expect to shoot in every attack, thay don't enjoy simply working the ball in the midfield. I played in barcelona youngsters as a midcenter (guardiola was the leader in the A team and I was a sub in the B team for that age) and enjoy a lot this Fifa, so I guess it might go down to this: if you enjoy watching a real football match (not always Barcelona - Chelsea, but ANY football match, like Auxerre - Lens or Almería - Getafe) you'll feel Fifa is getting closer to it and it's great. In the other hand, if you are one of those that think football is only the champions league highlights reel of the week, then maybe you prefer pes.

Yes, maby FIFA looks more like football (because of the pace of the game), but as I've said before: PES feels much more like playing football myself. Actually playing PES has made be a better football player in real life.

And I watch more norwegian football than I watch teams like Barcelona and Chelsea. I love watching football, and I love playing it myself.

I'm enjoying a LOT playing with Peterborough in my manager mode. With some free agents signed in and a little work, my boys are ranking 1st in january, 2 points ahead Luton. Beware, in 4 years we are winning the Champions!

I've said it before, and I say it again. Playing vs other humans is the ONLY thing that counts for me. Playing vs CPU makes you only good in controlling your players, it doesn't make you very good in thinking football....

So because you only play via humans it's fine for you to put down and belittle people who enjoy playing against AI in manager mode? That's what it sounds like to me. You love PES, that's great, enjoy it when the game comes out, for now there's a PES v Fifa fanboy thread, enjoy it.......

Some good points mentioned, especially saying FIFA is like a full match and PES is like a highlights reel. PES fans are used to constant shots and not having to work to get to goal. Sort of what I've been trying to say in my previous posts when I refer to the one-touch passing.

I played in an online league in PES 6. The matches were 15 minutes long. There was mostly 1-3 goals in one match. There were lots of 0-0, 1-0, 2-0 matches. Some matches had very few chances. It were mostly battling in the midfield.

Does this make sense to what you're saying? Shouldn't the results be like 6-5 if what you are saying is true?

The demo is an early build which plays too quick. You can't judge the game by that.

I don't care about nets, dogs, music, menus, untucked shirts, boots and stuff like that. I care about playing incredible football vs my mates or vs people online, while getting drunk and stoned and having a f***** great time!

I play PES for the same reasons. FIFA is still too much "work", whereas PES is more intuitive and "fun".
I don't want to call it arcade, because PES still has more tactical deepness (impact of stats, tactics, formations...).

FIFA is on a very good way, PES stagnates on its high level. I'd like to see Konami move the series onto a more realistic level (remove dogs, crazy haircuts, heart-shaped kits, but include realistic league structures, more teams). But as we know Seabass/Konami this will never happen...

My hopes are that EA catches up Konami's gameplay in 3/4 years to have an out-of-the-box footie game. On the the other hand Konami is clever enough to push the gameplay even further (diving, physics, controls)

At least we'll have 2 good football games, who play different. Unfortunally not THE PERFECT one.

I sincerely hope to hell that EA doesn't "catches up Konami's gameplay", I don't want to play an arcade, unrealistic football game of pass, pass, pass, shoot rinse repeat thank you very much, you like it, good, enjoy it, but please don't try to force what you like onto what we like.

I played my first 3 games yesterday and WOW !!!

The game speed is very realistic and also the responsiveness !
It was very difficult because of my PES years and I was trying to play by reflex the same way.
Lost the 2 first games 2-0 then 1-0 in the last minutes but that was intense !! (I tried semi assisted pass and shot and manual crosses).
Then the third I tried assisted passes then I was like in PES (what some players call "scripted") and I was a better player...Lot of pressure...Then came the Extra times and a superb angle shot under the bar with Toni against Real Madrid !!!
So I think I'll continue to play with assisted passes and semi assisted shots while learning the moves then go to the next step ;)

The real negative thing as a PES player is the fact that when I played with Joe Cole or Wright Philips on the wing I didn't see a "real" difference...maybe I got to learn some specific new moves...

But the overall game was like a real match !!

FIFA has made this year a big step forward...

Well, your right, maby I explained bad. You always have to think ahead, and you are already thinking about your next pass before receiving the ball, making you move in a way that creates space to do the next pass. The problem with having to press the button so early is that you don't have the time to stop your player in the last millisecond if you change your mind. If I press the button when it seems like the perfect time to press it (when you want your player to start moving the foot to do the pass), he will make one extra touch on the ball before passing it.

Is PES limiting? In what way?
Yeah, I guess it comes down to personal preference. I press the button when I feel it's right and 9/10 times I get the result I want. I think you'd really enjoy the game if you got used to the timing, but I can see how it's annoying when it just doesn't feel right.

Everything in PES feels like it's on rails to me. It can feel pretty good when it works out, but I find myself feeling cheated way too often with passes going in the wrong direction and shots flying miles over the bar for no real reason, I guess I don't feel like the game understands what I want to do. It wasn't too bad before, but after playing FIFA with everything on manual it gets very annoying to not be able to decide the exact direction you want to play the ball to stick it in between defenders and into space, or miss a shot completely and feel it was my own fault. Maybe FIFA just fits my style of play better, but I feel it does what I expect it to much more often than PES.

I know that mate, I wasn't getting defensive! Play what you want to play at the end of the day!

Like a post mentions above, you HAVE to put work into the game and really get into it. If you play it with a negative mindset and hold "sprint" with "pressure" all the time to win the ball back you are going to get frustrated. :)
I played it for hours and hours and hours on end. I gave it so much attention the missus was getting annoyed. But the fact the CPU made the most perfect tackle and my players couldnt control the ball for SHIIIITTTTT! in the final third did it for me. Not every player gets a nose bleed when they reach the final third of the field. Most of my goals came by luck (a deflected through pass to a striker) or once in a liftime a cross in the box (I scored about 1 in every 20 crosses!) What did it for me was when I played League 1 teams against Man United in my FA Cup run and I could only beat them 1-0 and some games it even went to Penalties! I was playing it on Pro difficulty and had a go at World Class but it got 10 times worse.

I sincerely hope to hell that EA doesn't "catches up Konami's gameplay", I don't want to play an arcade, unrealistic football game of pass, pass, pass, shoot rinse repeat thank you very much, you like it, good, enjoy it, but please don't try to force what you like onto what we like.

I didn't say copy ! This is what they've tried with the last gen version.
When I say CATCH UP I want to say iron out the gameplay flaws, FIFA still has.

Even if the gameplay is totally different between PES/FIFA and even if you say PES is arcadish, PES still has a more mature/balanced gameplay. This doesn't mean PES gameplay is "better" nor does it say you have to "like" PES' gameplay.
I want to say FIFA is just on the beginning of its way, whereas PES stagnates.

And I think this is the problem many have with the last two PES games in the series: PES has to take a new road, as the actual engine is exhausted.

Hopefully EA continues its way with its new producer. I'd be happy then

You can't say that PES is this or that..FIFA is better blablabla...

PES still have its legendary gameplay and even if there's no BIG evolution this year, I enjoyed the demo because of its new usefull animations and AI.

FIFA has its style and is getting better and better...

FIFA "looks" more like a real football and is less buggy. It's an overall great game.
PES is more specific, when I play with Terry in defense and Thuram, I see the difference. In FIFA you cannot really see the difference...
You can see in FIFA Liverpool pressurize Marseille all the game...OK
in PES I can make the difference with Marseille because of the specific stats of players...

We have 2 good games this year...not the greatest Evolution ever (because of the new gen platforms) but still two games which I'll enjoy this year...

I mean, the dog - what's that about!?

ML031.jpg

A Mourinho reference ;)

Lads there's a fanboy thread for this talk, this thread is just to discuss other aspects not which is better. So please stop clogging this thread with crap.

I play PES for the same reasons. FIFA is still too much "work", whereas PES is more intuitive and "fun".
I don't want to call it arcade, because PES still has more tactical deepness (impact of stats, tactics, formations...).

FIFA is on a very good way, PES stagnates on its high level. I'd like to see Konami move the series onto a more realistic level (remove dogs, crazy haircuts, heart-shaped kits, but include realistic league structures, more teams). But as we know Seabass/Konami this will never happen...

My hopes are that EA catches up Konami's gameplay in 3/4 years to have an out-of-the-box footie game. On the the other hand Konami is clever enough to push the gameplay even further (diving, physics, controls)

At least we'll have 2 good football games, who play different. Unfortunally not THE PERFECT one.

hahaha!! what a looser....

FIFA is Football , PES is something like football...

I want to say FIFA is just on the beginning of its way, whereas PES stagnates.

I agree with you on this.
Two different point of their respective lifecycle.

Personally I would have preferred one very good game than 2 good games. After all at the end of the day you have to choose one game to stick to.

Last edited:

Recreatable freeze bug (Xbox 360).

Well this just happened to me in manager mode, game froze, and I had to restart the 360, I figured I'd try the same thing again if the opportunity arose to see if the freeze was a one off, it wasn't.

Here's the steps to recreate the console freezing bug:

1. Man mark one or more AI players (for me it was my 2 CB's marking 2 Charlton forwards).

2. Wait for the AI to substitute one of the players being man marked.

3. Go into team settings, man marking, select the defender who was man marking the player now susbtituted.

4. Game will now freeze and only option is to turn off the Xbox 360.

Well this just happened to me in manager mode, game froze, and I had to restart the 360, I figured I'd try the same thing again if the opportunity arose to see if the freeze was a one off, it wasn't.

1. Man mark one or more AI players (for me it was my 2 CB's marking 2 Charlton forwards).

3. Go into team settings, man marking, select the defender who was man marking the player now susbtituted.

Man that sucks. :(

Cool :shock:

It's the same on PS3?

I played in an online league in PES 6. The matches were 15 minutes long. There was mostly 1-3 goals in one match. There were lots of 0-0, 1-0, 2-0 matches. Some matches had very few chances. It were mostly battling in the midfield.

Does this make sense to what you're saying? Shouldn't the results be like 6-5 if what you are saying is true?

I didn't say every shot was a goal ;)

I have a question: what on line games are better, PS3 or Xbox 360 for FIFA in terms of lag/number of people playing/options.

360 for number of people ... by a HUGE margin. Only ever played Warhawk and Calling All Cars online with my PS3 and didn't notice any lag at all.

Has anyone got a suggestion for an easy-to-pull-off skill move, to beat a last defender? eg step-over then push the ball one way. I tend to mess up any skill moves i try. I wiggle the stick and i end up doing something very unappropriate :mryellow:

Just hold Up or Down and he will roll the ball either way

you have to hold it thought not just tap it, if your in the arena its left and right

I have to say. I don't know how much more they can improve Fifa 08.
It's in away perfect and in a way NOT. I highly doubt that 09 will see a significant upgrade because I just don't feel the hardware itself can hadle it. they've said that they are using 30percent more of the game engines power than last years. However, how much does that mean that can be STILL be utilized surely not 70percent. i don not believe they could come up with even 40 percent more for next year. On top of this. and this should be considerd. in games that have a yearly following they can NEVER offer the most of what the game can do. it'd be suicide from a sales standpoint. it's like coming out with a movie that is a trilogy. the first one gets you amped, the 2nd one gets you wanting to see the 3rd. so in away, looking for the next year to be the ultimate never really happens. Konami (to their credit) just added things that us editors would do with thier current gen stuff. They probably saw a big push with that so that it would bring in the editing crowd more which is HUGE. EA just started make a new game engine and said heck with this were gonna try to scrap everything that wasn't next gen and start over with this and that in itself will be a marketing tool.

Either way. enjoy Fifa 08 it's about as good as its gonna get:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom