FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I have tried. It doesn't work. Most of my friends think the same too. It just isn't responsive enough. The whole game is laggy. Playing 1-touch football is almost impossible, because your players usually take one extra touch even if you pressed the button before the ball reached your player.

You are probably crap at it then - I always play beautiful one-touch football.

No, I'm not crap. The problem is I usually play on a higher level of football than this games allow me to do. Oh yes.

A higher level of football? Let me guess, on Pro Scripted Soccer? That game is pass-pass-through ball-cut back-goal! Every time. That isn't a "high level" of football to me.

fifa this year has really caught the imagination, i only played pro evo before EA's release this year

at first it's hard to adapt because pro evo has been the no 1 game, but unless their game is totally different to that awful demo then i will stick with fifa (will play it regardless if evo is great)

I have tried. It doesn't work. Most of my friends think the same too. It just isn't responsive enough. The whole game is laggy. Playing 1-touch football is almost impossible, because your players usually take one extra touch even if you pressed the button before the ball reached your player.

EA emphasized over and over that there were many different variables that went into the physics of kicking the ball including ball spin, defensive pressure, player skills, position, balance, etc.
I've been able to play quite a bit of one touch football but you really have to think a couple passes ahead to do so and have your players in the right position and hitting the ball just so in order to compensate for the afore-mentioned variables.
You can't just keep pressing the pass button continuously from player to player and knocking it all around the pitch like in PES! As stated you have to be a bit more tactical in approach and think about what you're doing. I know it's difficult to get used to but it definitely can be done, just takes some time.
Not saying this is definitely so in your case but I tend to believe that a lot of players who are complaining about having a difficult time with FIFA are doing so with thoughts of the comfortable, familiar safety net of PES coming down the pike in the back of their minds and maybe aren't truly committing themselves 100% to learning and practicing a whole new approach and style of play that FIFA demands knowing they can just eventually go back to PES instead (kind of like daydreaming about your mistress while your wife is trying to get you to talk about working on improving your marriage) ;)

Last edited:

fifa this year has really caught the imagination, i only played pro evo before EA's release this year

at first it's hard to adapt because pro evo has been the no 1 game, but unless their game is totally different to that awful demo then i will stick with fifa (will play it regardless if evo is great)

100% agree with you. :)

A higher level of football? Let me guess, on Pro Scripted Soccer? That game is pass-pass-through ball-cut back-goal! Every time. That isn't a "high level" of football to me.

FIFA is ok when playing slow buildup with safe passes all the way. FIFA turns crap when you try to speed up the game with fast one and two-touch football. Having to press the button a half second before it actually makes the pass is just stupid. And too often when I'm trying to cross the ball into the box, the player takes that extra touch of the ball before kicking it in. Why?!? And I'm tired of being stuck in some animation not being able to do anything at all. Thats very annoying when two players fight for the ball.

Even if the passing in PES is scripted, I feel in 100% control of my passing game. If I time my passes ok, it goes where I want it to go with good speed. With bad timing, or just being in too much of a hurry, your passes will be weak and often misplaced. Feels very good and intuitive. Just like playing football myself, which I do pretty often...

That's fair enough mate - each to their own innit? I personally prefer the pace and flow of FIFA 08 to any other football game out there.

How many teams play one-touch football that often? Only a few plays a match if that? PES teaches you to play one touch football constantly, enabling you to get from one goal to another using one touch football, cutting back and scoring, all within 20 seconds.

You're trying to play it like PES is you're complaining about one touch football. One touch does work, I've played it myself a lot. But it's not realistic to expect it to work all the time like PES.

Great passing teams like Liverpool in the 80's and Ajax even have to take two touches, one touch constantly, down a whole field isn't realistic.

EA emphasized over and over that there were many different variables that went into the physics of kicking the ball including ball spin, defensive pressure, player skills, position, balance, etc.
I've been able to play quite a bit of one touch football but you really have to think a couple passes ahead to do so and have your players in the right position and hitting the ball just so in order to compensate for the afore-mentioned variables.

Yes, thats the way PES has worked for a long time. It's about timing your passes. Before receiving the ball, you move your player in a way that makes the next pass as easy as possible. You create space for yourself, you create space for your teammates, you open up rooms for people to run into, and so on. I press the pass button when I want my player to pass the ball, NOT a half second before.

Everyone who has played football knows that it's not smart deciding too early where you are going to pass the ball. It's a last millisecond decision. FIFA wont let me play that way. Responsiveness is the MOST important part in a football game for me. I want to be able to have control of every little touch of the ball. When going warm with PES, I actually feel I'm playing football. FIFA won't give me that feeling. It looks like football. It doesn't FEEL like football.

You can't just keep pressing the pass button continuously from player to player and knocking it all around the pitch like in PES! As stated you have to be a bit more tactical in approach and think about what you're doing. I know it's difficult to get used to but it definitely can be done, just takes some time.
Not saying this is definitely so in your case but I tend to believe that a lot of players who are complaining about having a difficult time with FIFA are doing so with thoughts of the comfortable, familiar safety net of PES coming down the pike in the back of their minds and maybe aren't truly committing themselves 100% to learning and practicing a whole new approach and style of play that FIFA demands knowing they can just eventually go back to PES instead (kind of like daydreaming about your mistress while your wife is trying to get you to talk about working on improving your marriage) ;)

I know I can get used to FIFA 08 (I AM used to FIFA 08), I can play lots of nice football with it, but I can't go into enough detail in my game.

It just lacks the feeling of playing football. Why would I settle for that? I guess I wouldn't mind if I just didn't know how very good PES is, and how many times I've said to myself when learning PES: "Wow, this is f**** incredible! I'm so in control of this!"

How can you feel in control with PES when there's so much scripting and on-rails movement?

maybe it's very good scripting ? ;)

I'm with Boa here. I like the new FIFA and I don't think I'm the worst player. But PES gives you at least the feeling to have control...

...FIFA for me feels more scripted at all: the CPU controlled players just keep their positions (in offensive play especially...)

How many teams play one-touch football that often? Only a few plays a match if that? PES teaches you to play one touch football constantly, enabling you to get from one goal to another using one touch football, cutting back and scoring, all within 20 seconds.

You're trying to play it like PES is you're complaining about one touch football. One touch does work, I've played it myself a lot. But it's not realistic to expect it to work all the time like PES.

Great passing teams like Liverpool in the 80's and Ajax even have to take two touches, one touch constantly, down a whole field isn't realistic.

Well. Are you playing CPU or vs good human opponents? I never play the CPU as I think it sucks, and it also doesn't make you very good in playing good football. It only makes you good in finding out how the CPU is playing the game, and makes you work around that. It just is a completely different game...

You can't just play one-touch football against good human opponents in PES. Maby the flaws in FIFA isn't as noticeable vs CPU as it is against human opponents. CPU is predictable. You always find a way around a problem so that you stop getting into situations where FIFA is lacking in control and responsiveness.

I guess it's great vs CPU, but it's definatly lacking in human vs human.

Watch a real game and see how many first touch passes u see. Not too many and only top class players use that kind of pass frequently.

Very few teams play one-touch football, it's too hard to pull off. Going back to my previous post, even Liverpool and Ajax take two touches. One touch football requires SUPERB positioning sense, passing ability, awareness of where to pass to, and the defense not being good enough to mark to prevent the one touch pass.

Hence a crappy local 3rd division team being able to play (because the defense isn't exactly amazing) :)

I play some gorgeous one-touch football with PSG in Manager Mode. I am amazing. ;)

Everyone who has played football knows that it's not smart deciding too early where you are going to pass the ball. It's a last millisecond decision. FIFA wont let me play that way. Responsiveness is the MOST important part in a football game for me. I want to be able to have control of every little touch of the ball. When going warm with PES, I actually feel I'm playing football. FIFA won't give me that feeling. It looks like football. It doesn't FEEL like football.
I beg to differ, if you play on a decent level you have to know what to do before you get the ball. If you wait until the last second your movement will take too long and you will lose the ball. Those last millisecond passes do work sometimes (and they do in FIFA too), but you can't expect to play without margins all the time and pull it off.

I feel the response time in FIFA08 is just about perfect, I'm playing some absolutely beautiful football at times, something I haven't been able to do in PES for a long time because it is so limiting.

I can't beleive how much this game has got into people's hearts and heads this year - I REALLY hope EA don't fuck FIFA 09 up.

Personally Plan M I believe they have let things down already. Am I the only one who doesnt notice how AMAZING the CPU's back four is? almost regardless of any team you play against. Plus the lack of control? Are people ignoring this or did I Play a dodgy version lol?

I beg to differ, if you play on a decent level you have to know what to do before you get the ball. If you wait until the last second your movement will take too long and you will lose the ball. Those last millisecond passes do work sometimes (and they do in FIFA too), but you can't expect to play without margins all the time and pull it off.

Well, your right, maby I explained bad. You always have to think ahead, and you are already thinking about your next pass before receiving the ball, making you move in a way that creates space to do the next pass. The problem with having to press the button so early is that you don't have the time to stop your player in the last millisecond if you change your mind. If I press the button when it seems like the perfect time to press it (when you want your player to start moving the foot to do the pass), he will make one extra touch on the ball before passing it.

I feel the response time in FIFA08 is just about perfect, I'm playing some absolutely beautiful football at times, something I haven't been able to do in PES for a long time because it is so limiting.

Is PES limiting? In what way?

The back four, well more-so the CB's, are pretty amazing regardless of the team yep. Very annoying. And there is a lack of control. But they're definately heading in the right direction and as long as they continue Joe Booth's work, it will keep getting better and our feedback will be taken into account to be fixed.

FAO: Hargreaves4

It can be frustrating at times mate, I agree. But as a whole package, it has really, really impressed me. I can't help but compare it to PES. I loaded up the PES 2008 demo on Tuesday and hated EVERYTHING about it. The gameplay, the animations, the menus, the music, the SOUND EFFECTS (arcade galore), the annoying "cough" noise in the background when you are playing (what the hell is that, it was in PES 6?), the horrible nets, the cartoon pitch, the ice-skating physics. I could go on and on. People keep saying "Yeah, it's not the final build though." Lets be honest, will the final version be REALLY that different? I would bet £10 with ANYONE on Evo-Web that it won't be. It might be a little slower and we'll see more options/stadia/kits etc but the general feel of the game will be the same. I don't want to sound patronising to other members who enjoy PES but I feel too mature to play it at the moment. It's like a fucking Disney football title. There are too many annoying things about Seabass/Konami/PES as a whole. I mean, the dog - what's that about!?

ML031.jpg

The back four, well more-so the CB's, are pretty amazing regardless of the team yep. Very annoying. And there is a lack of control. But they're definately heading in the right direction and as long as they continue Joe Booth's work, it will keep getting better and our feedback will be taken into account to be fixed.

I wouldn't have bought FIFA 08 if I didn't see a potential in the game. It's much better that previous FIFA's, and it's heading in the right direction, but the gameplay, control and responsiveness of PES is still not there. For me thats THE most important part in a football game.

Has anyone got a suggestion for an easy-to-pull-off skill move, to beat a last defender? eg step-over then push the ball one way. I tend to mess up any skill moves i try. I wiggle the stick and i end up doing something very unappropriate :mryellow:

Has anyone got a suggestion for an easy-to-pull-off skill move, to beat a last defender? eg step-over then push the ball one way. I tend to mess up any skill moves i try. I wiggle the stick and i end up doing something very unappropriate :mryellow:

would be very interested into this, too

Put some more hours into it. After 2 weeks of playing, I'm beggining to master it and it's totally amazing. It requires a lot of work, it's HARd, and the learning curve is high. But at the end, when you feel yourself controlling both sticks and all buttons in a flowing way, then you can play football closer to reality. Much closer than in pes for a fact.

The thing is that people like toaboa simply expect to shoot in every attack, thay don't enjoy simply working the ball in the midfield. I played in barcelona youngsters as a midcenter (guardiola was the leader in the A team and I was a sub in the B team for that age) and enjoy a lot this Fifa, so I guess it might go down to this: if you enjoy watching a real football match (not always Barcelona - Chelsea, but ANY football match, like Auxerre - Lens or Almería - Getafe) you'll feel Fifa is getting closer to it and it's great. In the other hand, if you are one of those that think football is only the champions league highlights reel of the week, then maybe you prefer pes.

I'm enjoying a LOT playing with Peterborough in my manager mode. With some free agents signed in and a little work, my boys are ranking 1st in january, 2 points ahead of Accrington (spelling?). Beware, in 4 years we are winning the Champions!

Some of you show what you expect by simply asking for a "definitive skill" to go past the defender. There must NOT be a definite skill or way to go through defenders. Every attack can develop into different patterns, and that's the great thing about it. Sometimes I simply run because my forward is faster and has retained more energy at tha point (and it works like a charm), sometimes I cut defenses with fast passing (and it works like a charm), sometimes I do high through balls and it's totally AWESOME), sometimes simply crossing from the wings if the center of the defense is crowded, sometimes I do dribble one or two players and shoot, and other times I end up doing a pass to the center of the pitch for a coming midfielder to blast it towards the goal.

So don't stick to one movement on 1 vs 1, that's just killing the game and denying yourself a very big pleasure. Simply note that most of the times you WILL fail. But football is like that. Even barcelona players fail 90 of their attacks. I prefer to have only 6 or 7 shots in a match, knowing that some chances were missed because of MY mistake. In pes, the only thing that decides if I score or not is the balancing scripts. I can shoot in every attack, and simply CPU decides if it goes in or just inches wide. Please...

Last edited:

FAO: Hargreaves4

It can be frustrating at times mate, I agree. But as a whole package, it has really, really impressed me. I can't help but compare it to PES. I loaded up the PES 2008 demo on Tuesday and hated EVERYTHING about it. The gameplay, the animations, the menus, the music, the SOUND EFFECTS (arcade galore), the annoying "cough" noise in the background when you are playing (what the hell is that, it was in PES 6?), the horrible nets, the cartoon pitch, the ice-skating physics. I could go on and on. People keep saying "Yeah, it's not the final build though." Lets be honest, will the final version be REALLY that different? I would bet £10 with ANYONE on Evo-Web that it won't be. It might be a little slower and we'll see more options/stadia/kits etc but the general feel of the game will be the same. I don't want to sound patronising to other members who enjoy PES but I feel too mature to play it at the moment. It's like a fucking Disney football title. There are too many annoying things about Seabass/Konami/PES as a whole. I mean, the dog - what's that about!?

The demo is an early build which plays too quick. You can't judge the game by that.

I don't care about nets, dogs, music, menus, untucked shirts, boots and stuff like that. I care about playing incredible football vs my mates or vs people online, while getting drunk and stoned and having a f***** great time!

Back
Top Bottom