FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Mate, take your game back and exchange it. This game is FULL of commentary. Even when I play with PSG or Schalke 04 there is specific commentary. You need a new disk! :)

Well, fortunately the problem is solved now. The thing is I had a european versionn of the game before I bought the english one. I still had some things from that european version saved to my HD and that somehow messed up the audio. But now its working like a charm. :)

There's nothing wrong with that first video? :-s

Apart from the human player running around like a mental case and being very easy to turn around. You can turn like that if you use the Close Control button.

Ok does any one know how to hit free kicks it says in the manual and i quote

" Free Kick Advanced Controls "
" Ball Spin: Use the left stick to add sidespin, topspin or backspin when releasing the shot button (this applies to Lob passes and Corners too). "

now i have tryed everthing and the ball still goes straight what the hell do i do do i hold a button R bumper? or the skill button (not the skill button as this does a rocket shot) i just cant curve the ball.

any help would be great thanks.

This is horrible. I REALLY want to love this game with the passion Plan M is showing, I want to take part in the leagues and enjoy manager mode. But I'm REALLY struggling and it frustrates me more than any other game I've played.

PES isn't going to be much better either, even with the tuned pace. The animations on PES are crap, the sounds are crap, the ML is crap. I need a football game this year.

Jack, any news on this EA patch and what's being fixed/included?

Been making interesting reading watching everyone go from such highs to hating on the game.

Personally, I still love it and sure, the initial wow factor fades into frustration as the days go on, but I still feel no other game has (or at least tried to), capture the pace and feel of a real match.

After the sack at Wednesday, I've started a manager game at Doncaster and the players definately feel different. Bruce Dyer is a pacey powerhouse compared to my other strikers - its blindingly obvious.

Isnt that the same as real life? Watch a game - especially one where you dont know the players so well and its rare that every player acts different and you can normally tell the stand out player(s) that is a bit different.

Same with FIFA. Not being funny, but I think some of you are wanting something that isnt here. Think its a case of wanting a 'Realistic Action Videogame' - thats the problem.

FIFA IS realistic, but by being so, it detracts a little from being 'a game'. Where PES2008 is more of an 'Action Videogame', but doesnt have as much realism.

I am happy to carry on with FIFA as a mature gamer and lover of football, it suits what I am now looking for in a few hours entertainment each day.

Maybe some of you are looking for too much and not enjoying the game for what it is.

(oh, BTW, in over 20 years, I've never played a game free of bugs and things that could be improved - I doubt I ever will, so I try not to focus on the negatives too much).

Good post pboreham.

I am loving the game MORE than when I bought it. It still reminds me of when I first purchased PES 1 on the original PlayStation. That game took WEEKS to learn - this is the same. There is so much to get your head round - you can't just "pick up and play" this game. That's what PES is for.

Where in Lincolnshire are you from? We may have discussed that in the past but my memory fails me at my age ;) I'm from Grimsby myself :) Grimsby - Czech Republic - Singapore, with a Brazilian wife thrown in half way through, I'm a lucky boy :)

Aha perhaps, with not having Fifa myself yet (4 days, 15 hours and 40 minutes) I haven't paid much attention to the people I've added :)

Placebo, what is your job in Singapore if you don't mind me asking?

Been making interesting reading watching everyone go from such highs to hating on the game.

Personally, I still love it and sure, the initial wow factor fades into frustration as the days go on, but I still feel no other game has (or at least tried to), capture the pace and feel of a real match.

After the sack at Wednesday, I've started a manager game at Doncaster and the players definately feel different. Bruce Dyer is a pacey powerhouse compared to my other strikers - its blindingly obvious.

Isnt that the same as real life? Watch a game - especially one where you dont know the players so well and its rare that every player acts different and you can normally tell the stand out player(s) that is a bit different.

Same with FIFA. Not being funny, but I think some of you are wanting something that isnt here. Think its a case of wanting a 'Realistic Action Videogame' - thats the problem.

FIFA IS realistic, but by being so, it detracts a little from being 'a game'. Where PES2008 is more of an 'Action Videogame', but doesnt have as much realism.

I am happy to carry on with FIFA as a mature gamer and lover of football, it suits what I am now looking for in a few hours entertainment each day.

Maybe some of you are looking for too much and not enjoying the game for what it is.
(oh, BTW, in over 20 years, I've never played a game free of bugs and things that could be improved - I doubt I ever will, so I try not to focus on the negatives too much).

That is a very good post and one that has alot of very valid points.

The bit I highlighted is something that is created from hype, anticipation, excitement and overall expectation.One of my failings with this sort of thing is that I spend months reading previews, watching videos etc and then when I come to play the game, maybe I expect too much.

Its something I have not thought about much before but its certainly relevant in this game.

For all its brilliance of animation, graphics, ball physics, sound etc etc, its the response which is the biggest killer for me.CW,JB,KennyM et al all said if you can live with the less responsive behaviour then you will love it.well i can't so I am not enjoying it.

I am not trying to continually pick faults, but the issues I raised are in the game but less obvious to others (maybe because of my reasons posted above).

I certainly DO NOT want to ruin anybodys fun because its not about that, its about personal preferance.More people love it than hate it, that says alot for the game.

I will continue to be a part of this thread and contribute to a great site

Who knows, one day I may go back to it with a more forgiving mind.

Where in Lincolnshire are you from? We may have discussed that in the past but my memory fails me at my age ;) I'm from Grimsby myself :) Grimsby - Czech Republic - Singapore, with a Brazilian wife thrown in half way through, I'm a lucky boy :)

Lovely Grantham :(

I'm originally from Essex but strange twists of fate have left me stuck up here!

Another great post pboreham!

I agree with that. I look forward to playing fifa each year as I prefer to play with lower league teams (i.e Southend alot!) while I can play pes for the big teams. I'm enjoying fifa a lot this year, much more than last year and in many ways it leads the way in footy realism, but it is disappointing that the more you play it, the more the tough cpu tacking becomes a constant rather than just in the odd close game.

With 5 star teams I'm not too fussed by it as I feel the players move quickly enough, but with my lower league sides, the lack of speed and response can make the game less enjoyable. I'm starting to find that the game seems best in multiplayer (as it removes the cpu's immense defending etc), and then for 5 star teams I play on professional/world class (if I dare!) but with weaker teams I have to drop it down to semi-professional, not because I'm really bad, but it's the only way my slower players can get the odd yard of space.

As much as I moan about pes feeling to arcadey, this game seems a little too far the other way, and I prefer not having loads of 1 on 1's like pes does, but in playing 20 matches or so, I wonder if I've had any real chances like that on fifa? I guess we still need a game that has the best of both, as so far both can be equally enjoyable and frustrating for different reasons.

Anyway, I keep playing it, and frustrations aside, it's still a breath of fresh air that I'm enjoying trying to beat! I should be getting a bluetooth headset Saturday if anyone wants a game on psn?

Who knows, one day I may go back to it with a more forgiving mind.
I hope you can mate :)

I'm originally from Essex but strange twists of fate have left me stuck up here!
I was gonna ask why you supported Southend before I read the 2nd line! Great post mate, I pretty much agree with everything you're saying.

No game is going to be flawless is it? Just try to enjoy it for what it is, which is a brilliant attempt at a football simulation.

I also agree with BeardyMagic, in the fact that PES and FIFA this year are at completely different ends of the scale, and something in between both would maybe be an ideal. The reason for me at the moment that FIFA is better, is all the off the pitch stuff; Better presentation, commentary, More teams, leagues, better Manager Mode to name but a few.

I used to play for Grantham Town.

I played under warren Ward and Mark wallington in the mid 90's, good times.Our most notable result was a 2-1 victory over Forest who put out a good side (kingsley black,Steve blatherwick,Neil webb,Gary bull, jason lee)

happy days.

That first video is EXACTLY what I'm on about when I say the CPU can turn at ridiculous speeds while our players turn like 200 stone people trying to shift their weight around, but the CPU is a 1 stone flea. Just not realistic really. Good video and proof it does happen in the game.

If you are playing on New xbox config (like pes) you need to use the RB button to jostle him off the ball! You can do it with stronger players usually defenders.

I've played my first online matches (PS3)/unranked friendlies:
- 2 of 6 games have been more or less laggy
- 1 loss 5 wins/match time 2*7 mins
- it made fun actually, but I still have problems controlling the game (too mush failed shots, passes, dribblings)
- no chance to do a rematch (or is there ?)
- I have to go back to the arena->Online mode->create game for every new match, which is annoying. The last used settings (stadium, time, etc) aren't saved either

Snoop and seraphs

if you let go of run and stop holding A and hold the jockey button people wont run rings around you like that. Just tap A and your player will make a standing tackle

its clear from that video that A is being held down, again ala PES

And whoever said people using run in PES is an easy victory i would love to play you online. I have a 80% win ratio online and i hold run and press A all the time to close down. Most PES players do, the more i think about it when are you actually doin yourself in PES? With passing you point and it goes to the players feet everytime, shooting goes either left or right no in between and tackling is purely the computer doin it for you by holding A

Fifa has opened up how scripted PES really is, why cant we have a mix of the 2

Snoop and seraphs

if you let go of run and stop holding A and hold the jockey button people wont run rings around you like that. Just tap A and your player will make a standing tackle

its clear from that video that A is being held down, again ala PES

And whoever said people using run in PES is an easy victory i would love to play you online. I have a 80% win ratio online and i hold run and press A all the time to close down. Most PES players do, the more i think about it when are you actually doin yourself in PES? With passing you point and it goes to the players feet everytime, shooting goes either left or right no in between and tackling is purely the computer doin it for you by holding A

Fifa has opened up how scripted PES really is, why cant we have a mix of the 2

^ THIS.

If you are playing on New xbox config (like pes) you need to use the RB button to jostle him off the ball! You can do it with stronger players usually defenders.

RB is jostle? I thought it was LB? :-s

ffs need to stop holding run and A

PES has turned me into a one trick pony

ffs need to stop holding run and A

PES has turned me into a one trick pony

Up until the last few days, I was holding A and X down all of the time and it opened loads of gaps for the opposition. Since I've stopped pressing as much, I've found my defence is MUCH better.

Now if only my forwards would make intelligent runs so my attacking skills can be half decent too :lol:

Snoop, honestly, I was having the same problems until I sorted the way I play the game out. The game is flowing like THE BEAUTIFUL GAME for me now. Just scored a CRACKER with Rooney. :)

Back
Top Bottom