FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Well thats what I did all the time. And therefor I lost the ball and all the challenges and it made frustrated.

Plan M//

How is your commentry in the game? Do they talk a lot during the games?
The only time the commentators introduce themselves and talk about the game is when I play as AC Milan. Then they say stuff like "we're at the san siro" and "a substitution for Milan". When I play with any other team they just say "a substitution now".
Sooo frustrating. I'm actually starting to think I bought myself a "Fifa 08 Milan edition".

Does you version have more languages for the commentary?

Maybe the English version has more commentary because all of the disk space available for commentary is full of English commentary, and your version is split between different languages?

ok after nearly smashing my controller and just about to throw the dvd out of the window I start to understand the game and I am starting to dominate the cpu. I have won 3 matches in a row now (4:0;4:0;4:1).

I changed the way I played from PES arcade play to sim play. I dont use the dash button anymore. I use it only when its needed (to start a run or to give a min advantage before taking a cross etc). now its really cool. if you dont use the dash button while receiving a pass the cpu will not attack you but stand in front of you for a moment and just block the path what gives you time to pass, start a dribble or just keep the ball until the rest of your team has moved forward into good positions. the game is starting to be fun again

Does you version have more languages for the commentary?

Maybe the English version has more commentary because all of the disk space available for commentary is full of English commentary, and your version is split between different languages?

No I have only english language. It's so strange. And like I wrote above, no commentry AT ALL when Im playing with spanish teams.

not using the sprint button just slows down the whole pace of the game too much. you need to compromise too much and do what the game wants you to do in order to get a "football-like" looking match.

i can't say i am impressed after having about 30 matches now. :( it's a good game yes, probably better than pes...but then again i just feel the more polished and completed game is gonna be the one by konami.

Last edited:

Well, I've given FIFA08 a fair chance. Must have played about 40 matches now and the more I play it, the more I see a poor, one-dimensional game. Every team seems to be exactly the same, no matter if you play in English League 2 or La Liga, every cpu defence is identical, and so every match becomes identical.

Every cpu team has an immaculate, never out of shape back 4 with unbelievably fast response times. And every clearance is a pixel perfect 60-yard pass, even though he's facing his own goal-line. Laughably poor.

And if you finally breach the immaculate back-line, you press shoot yet there is some mysterious delay...and so you press shoot again and again nothing happens...finally, your guy swings his leg, but oh look, a cpu defender has stolen the ball and turned 180 degrees and played a perfect 70 yard pass without looking, all in 0.0001 of a second.

The one big attraction for me was the supposed "manual" passing/shooting control....too bad it's not really manual at all. Certainly not 360 degree and the "manual" power seems to vary depending upon the area of pitch....scripted, in other words.

The big irony is that, the more I play it, the more I see all the things that I hate about PES. At least PES has some good things. All FIFA has over PES is lots of teams/leagues/competitions.

The most amazing thing about FIFA08 is that it makes PES6 look like a reasonable game.

Last edited:

Just played and beat sonman172 2-1, he then went on to racially abuse me over the mic I had to laugh my head of at him though and and gave as good as I got. He went onto to brag how he's UK champion blah de blah. What a total knob if he's capable of being UK champ then I have a chance to World Champ. What a chump he is. I wish I could have recorded his reaction to defeat, not because I would report him but just to laugh and show the rest of you what a cu@@ he is. I hope you read this sonman172 you absolute knob jockey. Robin van Persie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh God, some of them make me laugh. Almost every time I played the CoD4 beta I heard racist banter at some point - one guy said "errrm, I'm not racist, I just hate black people." :|

One born every minute unfortunately.

I have now played as Liverpool v Everton at the San Siro, and guess what...they did make comments about the derby.
This ONLY happens when I play at San Siro, AAAAAAAHHHH, I'm going crazy over this sh*t! I have emailed EA about it and hopefully they can replace my game. Why the hell does it only happen at San Siro?!

Am I the only one in the world with this issue?!

like Bumperman-one more week for us over here.I like the demo & i will like the full game when i get it-for sure.I like reading ur posts keep it up.antred is positive about the game(fifa08)i like that as well as the other guys in here who are the same.keep it up.i want this game now!

Just played and beat sonman172 2-1, he then went on to racially abuse me over the mic I had to laugh my head of at him though and and gave as good as I got. He went onto to brag how he's UK champion blah de blah. What a total knob if he's capable of being UK champ then I have a chance to World Champ. What a chump he is. I wish I could have recorded his reaction to defeat, not because I would report him but just to laugh and show the rest of you what a cu@@ he is. I hope you read this sonman172 you absolute knob jockey. Robin van Persie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayD, I know him lol, I beat him in the xleague semi final on fifa 07, What game did he say he was chapion of?

Well I agree with Dr Force, but I have a interesting video, Dr Force you might want to check it out, as you mentioned this 360 turn thing, I recorded this stupid thing the computer always does, and you cant tackle them. Garhhh!

I also have more to add, seems like the computer can tackle and you cant basically, they can slide amazingly win the ball etc easily, or if they dont, they take your player out and rarely a free kick, you A tackle them and they stumble, free kick and even PENALTY!

Every team does the same attack its boring! They focus don the wing and try to cross, or if they dont have the option they run around for ages passing it around, then try it, or luckily the ball bounces to some space where they run at goal and score, the computers fitness can be non existent yet run faster and be stronger than my full fatigue team, that isnt right! Most of the goals in the game come from a header, computers have the advantage from poor human clearances (as you cant clear as well as the AI for some reason) and they tap it in etc.

My goals are from crosses or chip through balls pretty much it, or just running and getting through some how, the keeper still parrys to players, and because they take so long to get back up, its an easy goal, the keeper saved my shot, and went well out wide, not off, Hammil ran in from far, and shot and keeper was just getting up.

Another thign that REALLY does annoy me, is players fixing in runs, they just dont go to the ball fast enough, if you press the sprint button and towards the ball, the slow response makes him run after the comp has got to it, and then same for aerial balls, its random if you win the header I swear.

Lastly is Im finding the cursor fixes ALOT, you cant change player for some time, so you cant get the ball in space, as your locked as a player and then even him decides he wont listen to your commands.

The physics are still awkward, saw a ball go through the roof of the net, I thought it was a goal, luckily it only went through the top of the net.

Meh well thats all I got to say for now, and Ill get that video up in a sec, got a good goal aswell to go with it, and a lucky miss, that nearly made my first loss for career mode :)

*edit* Also is it jam omething or other, stole my si and turned it into pure crap :( Dissapointing...

Well I agree with Dr Force, but I have a interesting video, Dr Force you might want to check it out, as you mentioned this 360 turn thing, I recorded this stupid thing the computer always does, and you cant tackle them. Garhhh!

I also have more to add, seems like the computer can tackle and you cant basically, they can slide amazingly win the ball etc easily, or if they dont, they take your player out and rarely a free kick, you A tackle them and they stumble, free kick and even PENALTY!

Every team does the same attack its boring! They focus don the wing and try to cross, or if they dont have the option they run around for ages passing it around, then try it, or luckily the ball bounces to some space where they run at goal and score, the computers fitness can be non existent yet run faster and be stronger than my full fatigue team, that isnt right! Most of the goals in the game come from a header, computers have the advantage from poor human clearances (as you cant clear as well as the AI for some reason) and they tap it in etc.

My goals are from crosses or chip through balls pretty much it, or just running and getting through some how, the keeper still parrys to players, and because they take so long to get back up, its an easy goal, the keeper saved my shot, and went well out wide, not off, Hammil ran in from far, and shot and keeper was just getting up.

Another thign that REALLY does annoy me, is players fixing in runs, they just dont go to the ball fast enough, if you press the sprint button and towards the ball, the slow response makes him run after the comp has got to it, and then same for aerial balls, its random if you win the header I swear.

Lastly is Im finding the cursor fixes ALOT, you cant change player for some time, so you cant get the ball in space, as your locked as a player and then even him decides he wont listen to your commands.

The physics are still awkward, saw a ball go through the roof of the net, I thought it was a goal, luckily it only went through the top of the net.

Meh well thats all I got to say for now, and Ill get that video up in a sec, got a good goal aswell to go with it, and a lucky miss, that nearly made my first loss for career mode :)

*edit* Also is it jam omething or other, stole my si and turned it into pure crap :( Dissapointing...

Agree with everything you say, its become very stale and one dimensional for me after only 4 days and maybe 100 matches.

FINALLY! Now I know what was wrong. I had a european version of the game before and had forgot to delete the saves from that game on my HD. Somehow that messed the audio up, but now it's working. =)

I really urge you guys that are frustrated with the game to try it a little more. I have played all evening and I have never had this much fun wit the game. I have really learned how to play good football. I'm playing at Profesional level right now and I'm winning most of the headers and the challenges. I dont even get the feeling that the CPU cheats anymore. Im in much more control now and somehow the reaction of my players seem a lot faster. I'm loving it!!!
I guess you just have to learn how to play the Fifa way.
Can you Fifa 08? =)

RESPONSE: Its probably the most unresponsive video game I have ever played (and I have played alot in 15 years) It just does not do what you want it to do at the right moment and then that moment is gone so you end up spending alot of time getting frustrated.

DIFFICULTY I like a game to be hard, but i dont like a game to not give you an inch unless you play it on the lower difficulties. There are far too many occasions when the CPU play like the harlem globetrotters even when they are one star teams, passing like Brazil in 1970 is not in the least bit realistic.

CPU CHEATING I have seen lots of this, especially when you up the difficulty, free kicks awarded to the opposition for small collisions against you and every freekick within 25 yards may as well be a penalty.They do not seem to tire whereas your players are like snails in the last 15 minutes.The classic second ball cheat is very prevelant in this game also and it never ceases to amaze me how a small midfeilder playing for Crewe can hold off two of my 6ft (70 rating) players whilst doing a 360 degree turn.I have conceeded a few goals from the bobble always going to the CPU.

LACK OF DIFFERENTATION There seems very little difference between players and teams except pace so they are not instantly recogniseable as individuals or teams except for the shirts they wear.When you play as 4 star side against a 1 star CPU team its as though they have equal stats, I really cannot tell the difference when i am playing barcelona or Derby County except for that extra yard of pace.

ONE DIMENTIONAL Due to all the above you end up playing a very predictable game in that the only space is out on the wings, so its a pretty much done deal when you kick off that there is going to be lots of wing play, crossing and heading, picking up the loose ball if you can and it just becomes boring.
I would also say around 60% of my online games have been the same, every player is desperate to get it wide, cross and score.This means i have seen alot of goals that are the same and once again the gameplay gets mundane.

REPLAYS You cant save them to your HDD and uploading them is ridiculous in the middle of a game, when I have uploaded some, the quality is poor and its missed half the action.

OTHER

corner kicks,free kicks and Throw-ins are awful,Goalkeepers behaviour is sometimes very odd sometimes diving after the ball is well gone and turning thier backs on long shots.

I have tried desperately to give it a real crack and I have played for hours, but its beauty and promise is let down by the above issues which turn it into a very,very frustrating affair.One mans mud is another mans Gold, you will either love this or hate it , for me i am starting to hate it and thats when you have to realise that its not what you thought it was and therefore I feel let down that once again we still have two average football games on my next gen console.

Points 1,2,3,4,5 are things I DO NOT have a problem with. The game is very responsive for me, the difficulty is just right (really have to work hard to win on Legendary), CPU does not cheat (i reckon you are looking to hard for faults mate), players feel VERY different everywhere, its only one-dimensional if you play it one-dimensional.

Dr Force check this video out (This similar to what you was on about) If its not what you was on about, its awful, I just couldnt do anything, and happens a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1-Grri5G8

Then heres a lucky miss, also poor keeper, how long does it take them to get up, why did he dive, what is the defence doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vOgMlUEw8

To end it with a great goal, guess what from! A Cross woooo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr12s9MDhiw

:D

*edit*

Here is one of the bad refs in the game. The second slide the computer got a play on... great! What about mine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPVcY1uw6NM

Last edited:

:lol: at that 360 move. Hasnt happend to me since I started my manager mode with sunderland. Ive taken my finger off the sprint button the game is 10x more responsive :). Loving it again, but for how long?

Dr Force check this video out (This similar to what you was on about) If its not what you was on about, its awful, I just couldnt do anything, and happens a lot.

That first video of your, I can do that myself now. And I can also prevent the CPU from doing that. You just have to be patient and not run around like crazy to get the ball.

:lol: at that 360 move. Hasnt happend to me since I started my manager mode with sunderland. Ive taken my finger off the sprint button the game is 10x more responsive :). Loving it again, but for how long?

Thats absolutely right! Its really strange but the game feels a lot more responsive. Im having so much fun atm, will be very tired tomorrow morning. =)

I have now played a long manager mode with Bayern. Simulated several seasons and made lots of fan shop points :D

Then heres a lucky miss, also poor keeper, how long does it take them to get up, why did he dive, what is the defence doing?

It's hard to tell with a small poor quality video, but isn't the header deflected right after the first player heads it? The keeper is probably reacting to the direction the first header would have taken the ball? Yes if that's the case he's reacting with super human predicting ability but don't we want keepers to be more responsive? I watch most prem matches each week and you often see the keeper diving somewhere he's predicting the ball going, only for it to be blocked/deflected and he's on the ground looking a little silly, I wouldn't worry too much personally unless that happened in the game 3 times per match or something ;)

Here is one of the bad refs in the game. The second slide the computer got a play on... great! What about mine!

Definitely looks like a foul by the Wolves? player, was you home or away? Did you zoom in real close and see if the tackler got the faintest of toe pokes onto the ball? With the physics engine in game I've noticed that there can be the subtlest of ball deflections you don't notice until replayed in close detail. Or it could just be a case of a tackle the referee missed, also happens all the time in the prem ;) I guess I need to play the full game myself to see if I also have this "cheating ref" problem you mention, 4 days, 21 hours and 51 minutes left!

JayD, I know him lol, I beat him in the xleague semi final on fifa 07, What game did he say he was chapion of?

He said and I quote " I'm sponsored man, do you know me? I'm FIFA 07 UK Champion, sponsored man, your shit you bla@@ cu@@. " That was just a section, he went for about 5 mins but I kept winding the tosser up.

At the end of the day no one forces anyone too like the game. But I'm suprised you even bought it Seraphs after your numerous videos with problems with the demo, you were never likely to enjoy the game. And I'm sure we can look forward to your continued collection with the full version.

Wow I am learning new things all the time. This game is incredible.

* I ONLY use the "dash" button in situations where it's needed. I can't emphasise this enough - pass around the pitch without using it.

* I keep the ball very long periods now - I pass in triangles and score most my goals through the middle, never with crosses (ala Arsenal)

DON'T PLAY THIS LIKE PES - it WILL frustrate you. I was explaining this to my brother earlier and he took the above factors into his game. He ended up beating me 2-1.

:)

I play this game like PES, and I win most matches online. I play PES like football, and I play FIFA like football. There's little difference in this.

Only use dash when you have room for it. It's the same in PES and FIFA.

Sounds like you play a little boring and "old" type of football with only slow build up play. A very important part of football is the ability to counter attack and play the ball fast when your opponent has a bad defence structure. Only scoring through the middle sounds boring. I score from slow buildups, both with crosses and combinations through the middle, and I score from fast counterattacks. Both in PES and FIFA...

Why don't you people stop complaining about cpu behavior and go play online????
I really liked the demo, and I'm crazy bcuz the game is taking to long to be released as NTSC.

And before complaining about that CPU 360, try to release the marking button, so your marking won't be that predictable, and perhaps you get the ball.

It seems to me that this game is about the little details, you can't play it in "autopilot", you gotta think, so the play will flow.

Damn it, I want this game!!!

ps: How can the people complain about the pace of the game?????? It's perfect for a simulation game...fast games are arcadey...

That's a great post, Plan M. Those are some great tips I've just started to realize.

Well, I've stopped using the sprint button as much as I used to. That has prevented me from losing balls when receiving passes or running close to other players, which means the response times have improved a lot.

This is one of the major differences between FIFA and PES. You can't keep sprinting in FIFA like you do in PES, it won't work. Having an high pace during the whole match won't do anything good to your team. You need to pass the ball, plan your moves, just like the real teams do. That's why I love this game. Right now. :mryellow:

Same here fella, absolutely LOVING this game. Manager Mode is the best single-player football experience I have ever had. It BLOWS PES' shitty Master League away. Valencia's formation and players really suit the way I want to play. I am gonna try and win more matches today - I am getting rather good at this game now. Woooop! :)

Well thats what I did all the time. And therefor I lost the ball and all the challenges and it made frustrated.

Plan M//

How is your commentry in the game? Do they talk a lot during the games?
The only time the commentators introduce themselves and talk about the game is when I play as AC Milan. Then they say stuff like "we're at the san siro" and "a substitution for Milan". When I play with any other team they just say "a substitution now".
Sooo frustrating. I'm actually starting to think I bought myself a "Fifa 08 Milan edition".

EDIT: OMFG!! I dont have any commentary AT ALL when Im playing with spanish teams! There something seriously wrong with my game!

Mate, take your game back and exchange it. This game is FULL of commentary. Even when I play with PSG or Schalke 04 there is specific commentary. You need a new disk! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1-Grri5G8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vOgMlUEw8

To end it with a great goal, guess what from! A Cross woooo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr12s9MDhiw

:D

*edit*

That first video is EXACTLY what I'm on about when I say the CPU can turn at ridiculous speeds while our players turn like 200 stone people trying to shift their weight around, but the CPU is a 1 stone flea. Just not realistic really. Good video and proof it does happen in the game.

Back
Top Bottom