FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I just realized I lost the exp points I bought in the shop. I had used them on a Benfica player, saved the squads as squads 2 or something but somewhere between online squad updates or something it disappeared and now I don't have the upgraded player and I can't buy that stuff again.

:(

I just realized I lost the exp points I bought in the shop. I had used them on a Benfica player, saved the squads as squads 2 or something but somewhere between online squad updates or something it disappeared and now I don't have the upgraded player and I can't buy that stuff again.

:(

Thats another frustrating aspect, that you have to slog your guts out to earn thousands of points just so you can customise your players and teams???

Surely it should just be an edit option.

Lads, I have tried to love this game,I have played patient slow football and I have put alot of effort into it but I ma afraid its not the game for me.

You can see what its trying to do and I take my hat off to EA for giving it a good go but i feel in doing so they have an underlying problem that makes for a total lack of enjoyment.

I have played around 40 games online, halfway through a career mode, played countless friendlies and played against friends but its just a frustrating slug fest.

These are my biggest gripes:

RESPONSE: Its probably the most unresponsive video game I have ever played (and I have played alot in 15 years) It just does not do what you want it to do at the right moment and then that moment is gone so you end up spending alot of time getting frustrated.

DIFFICULTY I like a game to be hard, but i dont like a game to not give you an inch unless you play it on the lower difficulties. There are far too many occasions when the CPU play like the harlem globetrotters even when they are one star teams, passing like Brazil in 1970 is not in the least bit realistic.

CPU CHEATING I have seen lots of this, especially when you up the difficulty, free kicks awarded to the opposition for small collisions against you and every freekick within 25 yards may as well be a penalty.They do not seem to tire whereas your players are like snails in the last 15 minutes.The classic second ball cheat is very prevelant in this game also and it never ceases to amaze me how a small midfeilder playing for Crewe can hold off two of my 6ft (70 rating) players whilst doing a 360 degree turn.I have conceeded a few goals from the bobble always going to the CPU.

LACK OF DIFFERENTATION There seems very little difference between players and teams except pace so they are not instantly recogniseable as individuals or teams except for the shirts they wear.When you play as 4 star side against a 1 star CPU team its as though they have equal stats, I really cannot tell the difference when i am playing barcelona or Derby County except for that extra yard of pace.

ONE DIMENTIONAL Due to all the above you end up playing a very predictable game in that the only space is out on the wings, so its a pretty much done deal when you kick off that there is going to be lots of wing play, crossing and heading, picking up the loose ball if you can and it just becomes boring.
I would also say around 60% of my online games have been the same, every player is desperate to get it wide, cross and score.This means i have seen alot of goals that are the same and once again the gameplay gets mundane.

REPLAYS You cant save them to your HDD and uploading them is ridiculous in the middle of a game, when I have uploaded some, the quality is poor and its missed half the action.

OTHER

corner kicks,free kicks and Throw-ins are awful,Goalkeepers behaviour is sometimes very odd sometimes diving after the ball is well gone and turning thier backs on long shots.

I have tried desperately to give it a real crack and I have played for hours, but its beauty and promise is let down by the above issues which turn it into a very,very frustrating affair.One mans mud is another mans Gold, you will either love this or hate it , for me i am starting to hate it and thats when you have to realise that its not what you thought it was and therefore I feel let down that once again we still have two average football games on my next gen console.

Thanks for being honest but seriously there is NO alternative for another soccer gamne this year either so hopefully theres another game you'll enjoy.

I can't belive that after say only week this game gets boring to some? i have to yet wait another week thankfully I am no longer picky with my gam,es because they are just games

Jesus f**** christ, you still havent played the final game. Stop that fanboy rubbish!

To be fair PES from the videos looks arcadelike and fifa looks somewhat realistic. playing ti might feel different but i wouldn't lnow because PES doesn't come out in the states until feb 09 and thats what i can't stand so i have no choice but to wait

Jesus f**** christ, you still havent played the final game. Stop that fanboy rubbish!

If you really think that the gameplay is going to be massively different from the demo then you live on cloud cuckoo land, despite the lack of polish of the demo it clearly shows what Seabass' vision of football is.

If you really think that the gameplay is going to be massively different from the demo then you live on cloud cuckoo land, despite the lack of polish of the demo it clearly shows what Seabass' vision of football is.

WOW what a line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao:

I must have a diffrent version of this game than others! I have now played 20 odd games and the commentators have not even introduced them selves once! And they sure as hell hasn't commented around the history of certain games such as the Merseyside derby and so on.
This may sound like nothing to complain about but it's really annoying. Commentary is very important for the atmosphere. If I play Arsenal v Tottenham I want to hear something about previous games and players etc.!

Oh, and I just played the FA cup. Not one comment about the tournament. I reached the final against Arsenal and the final was played at the Emirates. Whats that all about?

I played three mancheter united - liverpool matches and all game the commentators banged on about the rivalry.

manual shooting is realistic. Any striker can fluff a chance, it happens. Ive otten use to it now, i still fluff now and again but i always manage to work the goalkeeper. you can also score goals you probably cant on assisted as teh balls freer. Ive scored downward headers, tap in, overhead kikcs, little side footer, blasts, half volleys, looping headers.

Bloody amazinggame this. i just wish i could record the goals and show you guys.

i dont get the boredom angle either? how is this game boring? It can only be boring if your going solidly at it for several hours each and everyday. take a break, come back fresh, get in the mood. i find when im knackered and my concentration is low i dont enjoy certains games. i love this new fifa but monday night i was a bit tired and i was a little fed up of it, but its just concentration, you have to concentrate to win matches and any game that does that, like pes used to do is well worth it.

I also cant agree with those who say wing play is the only option, it isnt. theres lots of ways to score. You can use wing play, one twos around the area, through balls for strikers around the area, you can work the defence out of position, whip in crosses. you can do the lot. it plays like pes but without the players being able to do everything perfectly. the fact that your player has momentum and needs to take a touch, or adjust to turn is a challenging way to play, because it teaches you to think ahead to your next move. When i have Kuyt up front i have to usually hold the ball until i have support because he isnt fast enough to go it alone, nor has he the dribbling ability just like in real life. The opposite can be said of Torres who has speed agility and good dribbling technique.

You have to learn how to play the game. People are moaning about players not having any individuality yet are moaning about unresponsiveness, which is it? Play with Ronaldo and then play with Kerslake of Leeds United - tell me they are the same.

People want cheap easy goals - this is teh first fifa to get me off my seat when i score, because ive earnt it usually. The cpu isnt perfect, they miss shots, they misplace passes, they get caught in possession, it all happens.

My advice is experiment, dont play it to death play it inbetween breaks, dont study it to death. And if you are having problems with people scoring from crosses all the time online for example, do something about it, like defend the flanks better. You can do it its not impossible.

well I have decided I am getting it. can't wait to play this online league.

Lads, I have tried to love this game,I have played patient slow football and I have put alot of effort into it but I ma afraid its not the game for me.

You can see what its trying to do and I take my hat off to EA for giving it a good go but i feel in doing so they have an underlying problem that makes for a total lack of enjoyment.

I have played around 40 games online, halfway through a career mode, played countless friendlies and played against friends but its just a frustrating slug fest.

These are my biggest gripes:

RESPONSE: Its probably the most unresponsive video game I have ever played (and I have played alot in 15 years) It just does not do what you want it to do at the right moment and then that moment is gone so you end up spending alot of time getting frustrated.

DIFFICULTY I like a game to be hard, but i dont like a game to not give you an inch unless you play it on the lower difficulties. There are far too many occasions when the CPU play like the harlem globetrotters even when they are one star teams, passing like Brazil in 1970 is not in the least bit realistic.

CPU CHEATING I have seen lots of this, especially when you up the difficulty, free kicks awarded to the opposition for small collisions against you and every freekick within 25 yards may as well be a penalty.They do not seem to tire whereas your players are like snails in the last 15 minutes.The classic second ball cheat is very prevelant in this game also and it never ceases to amaze me how a small midfeilder playing for Crewe can hold off two of my 6ft (70 rating) players whilst doing a 360 degree turn.I have conceeded a few goals from the bobble always going to the CPU.

LACK OF DIFFERENTATION There seems very little difference between players and teams except pace so they are not instantly recogniseable as individuals or teams except for the shirts they wear.When you play as 4 star side against a 1 star CPU team its as though they have equal stats, I really cannot tell the difference when i am playing barcelona or Derby County except for that extra yard of pace.

ONE DIMENTIONAL Due to all the above you end up playing a very predictable game in that the only space is out on the wings, so its a pretty much done deal when you kick off that there is going to be lots of wing play, crossing and heading, picking up the loose ball if you can and it just becomes boring.
I would also say around 60% of my online games have been the same, every player is desperate to get it wide, cross and score.This means i have seen alot of goals that are the same and once again the gameplay gets mundane.

REPLAYS You cant save them to your HDD and uploading them is ridiculous in the middle of a game, when I have uploaded some, the quality is poor and its missed half the action.

OTHER

corner kicks,free kicks and Throw-ins are awful,Goalkeepers behaviour is sometimes very odd sometimes diving after the ball is well gone and turning thier backs on long shots.

I have tried desperately to give it a real crack and I have played for hours, but its beauty and promise is let down by the above issues which turn it into a very,very frustrating affair.One mans mud is another mans Gold, you will either love this or hate it , for me i am starting to hate it and thats when you have to realise that its not what you thought it was and therefore I feel let down that once again we still have two average football games on my next gen console.

agree 100% !!! now my question; is this something that we can except in a patch? or must we wait a other year to resolve te problems?

raffau

Oh God.

Was probably playing a guy from Austria. He picked Austria Wien and then I picked Rapid Wien.

It was about the minute 70th and I scored my 4th goal, the result was 4-1.

Then the prick saves the game and disconnects. What the hell? I just can't get it.

I'm going to report the guy, just don't know how. :|

Oh God.

I am still frustrated by this game. I have tried the advice you lads gave me but still my players mis-control the ball and take ages to get it under their control and I then get instantly tackled by a CPU Player... another thing is they do that to me and often foul me (go through the back of me) and nothing happens! Also when I do manage to successfully tackle them (once in a blue moon) they recover so quickly its untrue! my players stumble and stumble and fall over and just generally arse about!

To start with I loved this game but seriously it is just too damn harsh! The back 4 of almost any team ive played against have been solid and not really strayed out of position no matter how much ive tried. What can I do? Or am I just seriously rubbish at this game and should I give it up?

First you agree with Dr Force, then you agree with someone saying the complete opposite? ;)

I don't know what to think. I don't even have the game yet and everyone starts complaining. Beh.
I agree with both though. I agree that there are faults but I agree that the game is great. Things do get annoying but if you take a break and go back to it, or at least if I do that, I'm always amazed by the game. There are faults, which knowing EA they won't fix, but I'm confident that PES2008 will be no better. You can either learn to live with the response times, or you can't. I can.

It takes a long time to master as well. First time I got the game I was struggling like hell to defend and to string passes together, but you get better without even realising it. Offline I beat a mate 4-0, and I had to convince him that the game wasn't too easy (when we all know how hard it is). It's one of those games you have to stick at, and also one that is at it's best when you play in an online league. The Evo-Web games I've had have ALL been immense fun.

Last edited:

I agree with both though. I agree that there are faults but I agree that the game is great. Things do get annoying but if you take a break and go back to it, or at least if I do that, I'm always amazed by the game. There are faults, which knowing EA they won't fix, but I'm confident that PES2008 will be no better.

It takes a long time to master as well. First time I got the game I was struggling like hell to defend and to string passes together, but you get better without even realising it. Offline I beat a mate 4-0, and I had to convince him that the game wasn't too easy (when we all know how hard it is). It's one of those games you have to stick at, and also one that is at it's best when you play in an online league. The Evo-Web games I've had have ALL been immense fun.

Alright. I am still looking forward to it then:)

I have played this game non stop since it hit the shops but I am having so much trouble scoring from outside the box. Goalies like Valdez and Van der Sar act like spiderman when it comes down to long shots. Also when i am one on one with the keeper i don’t always want to slide it past the goalie like Henry using the Finesse shot (R1 on new analogue) if i want to score. Sometimes i just want to blast it past him and in the top corner while i am holding the jocky button (L1 on new analogue). But it seems like the goalie just save all these hard shots, unless it’s an unexptected one time shot or a shot where there is a defender in the way that is blocking the goalies view.

Is there anyone that succeeds in actually scoring a lot of smashing goals past these top goalies? It seems like if the goalie sees that you are lining up for a hard shot and he has the opportunity to prepare himself for the shot, he will almost always save it (unless you use the finesse shot). This is even more striking if you take into consideration that the goalies act like morons when it comes down to other types of goal defending.

I dont score many high smashed goals. The keepers are so good at times they save the vast majority of them. I tend to find most of my goals are from Finesse Shots.. When I do actually get time and space to shoot that is!

i dont get the boredom angle either? how is this game boring? It can only be boring if your going solidly at it for several hours each and everyday. take a break, come back fresh, get in the mood. i find when im knackered and my concentration is low i dont enjoy certains games. i love this new fifa but monday night i was a bit tired and i was a little fed up of it, but its just concentration, you have to concentrate to win matches and any game that does that, like pes used to do is well worth it.

I also cant agree with those who say wing play is the only option, it isnt. theres lots of ways to score. You can use wing play, one twos around the area, through balls for strikers around the area, you can work the defence out of position, whip in crosses. you can do the lot. it plays like pes but without the players being able to do everything perfectly. the fact that your player has momentum and needs to take a touch, or adjust to turn is a challenging way to play, because it teaches you to think ahead to your next move. When i have Kuyt up front i have to usually hold the ball until i have support because he isnt fast enough to go it alone, nor has he the dribbling ability just like in real life. The opposite can be said of Torres who has speed agility and good dribbling technique.

You have to learn how to play the game. People are moaning about players not having any individuality yet are moaning about unresponsiveness, which is it? Play with Ronaldo and then play with Kerslake of Leeds United - tell me they are the same.

People want cheap easy goals - this is teh first fifa to get me off my seat when i score, because ive earnt it usually. The cpu isnt perfect, they miss shots, they misplace passes, they get caught in possession, it all happens.

My advice is experiment, dont play it to death play it inbetween breaks, dont study it to death. And if you are having problems with people scoring from crosses all the time online for example, do something about it, like defend the flanks better. You can do it its not impossible.

You hold the ball up with Kuyt? How? How can you hold a ball up without being tackled?

I have played this game non stop since it hit the shops but I am having so much trouble scoring from outside the box. Goalies like Valdez and Van der Sar act like spiderman when it comes down to long shots. Also when i am one on one with the keeper i don’t always want to slide it past the goalie like Henry using the Finesse shot (R1 on new analogue) if i want to score. Sometimes i just want to blast it past him and in the top corner while i am holding the jocky button (L1 on new analogue). But it seems like the goalie just save all these hard shots, unless it’s an unexptected one time shot or a shot where there is a defender in the way that is blocking the goalies view.

Is there anyone that succeeds in actually scoring a lot of smashing goals past these top goalies? It seems like if the goalie sees that you are lining up for a hard shot and he has the opportunity to prepare himself for the shot, he will almost always save it (unless you use the finesse shot). This is even more striking if you take into consideration that the goalies act like morons when it comes down to other types of goal defending.

Never scored a 1-on-1 using a power shot, everytime it's saved. But if I use finesse, chances are it will go in.

Totally agree. :applause:

Manager Mode is STONKING (in World Class). It is very realistic. I love the feedback you get from your supporters/board. Apparantly, my players got drunk after one of my 3-0 hammerings and I had to deal with it accordingly! I LOVE IT!

A few tips for people finding it difficult:

* Assisted passing/shooting REALLY does help you get used to the game.

* Use the right-stick at much as possible. For example: If you receive the ball and the CPU is about to take it straight back, push the stick in the opposite direction to the player you are facing.

* Be patient. If you rush ANY of your play you will not get anywhere.

* Use the attack arrows when setting up your team. This way you can decide what runs you want attackers to make.

* Offside traps MUST be used! They are awesome. Earlier I played Cisse offside and it looked amazing!

A few very basic tips I know but they should help some people! :)

You hold the ball up with Kuyt? How? How can you hold a ball up without being tackled?

Have you not seen them shield the ball if you are facing away from the defender.

I usually can hold the ball up by shielding (which a player with strength can do) or i dont run, i use LB to control and turn away from defenders and look for space and call players with the forward run button.

Oh yes, I've seen the CPU shield, definately. But if I hold LB to close-control, the CPU comes in from behind, bowls me over and takes the ball. Regardless of my player too, be it Kuyt, Torres, Gerrard, whoever.

Antred, I use NEW ALTERNATIVE so what button would shield be?

Oh yes, I've seen the CPU shield, definately. But if I hold LB to close-control, the CPU comes in from behind, bowls me over and takes the ball. Regardless of my player too, be it Kuyt, Torres, Gerrard, whoever.

Hmm ive never had that problem...Torres tends to get bundled over a lot, but Kuyt doesnt, nor Gerrrard, babel does though. Just practice using the movement stick, no dash and the left trigger and LB button (i use New control).

Honestly it takes work. The ball was like a hot potato when i first played this always panicking when in possesion.

New Video Test on http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/article-fifa-08-8591-0-0.html

++
* Top Quality Realisation
* Main Contain(Championships, Teams, Players, etc.)
* Lot of modes (off and online)
* Replays Export

--
* No training mode, No referees
* Hard to perform some skills
* Faces and styles of players
* Xbox Live with EASportsfootball.com

Antred, I use NEW ALTERNATIVE so what button would shield be?

I dont think its something you can do with buttons. i think its dependent on your player and the type of player he is. Kuyt has strength but less speed and agility. i should imagine Berbatov and Vidic would be others with strength, and Rooney.

I find a great balance with these controls

New configuration

passing: semi
through ball: manual
shooting: manual
Lobs: Assisted
Crossing: Semi

The only real bugbear of mine on this game is that Anfield and the lower league grounds crowds are too far away from the pitch, they should be more like Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge.

Back
Top Bottom