FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

the fact that some of the people sayin player all feel is same in fifa is totaly garbage and ignorant since in pes every player feel different cause of the unrealistic stats range, a player iwth a 66 pass power make a pass so slow its just so unrealistic and a palayer hat got 90 is a perfect fireball wich is so stupid and unrealistic have you try to play pes with low-division team or start an ml with a generic team is so unoplayable and unrealistic since their still proffessional.

thats why people say those kind of crap wich is totaly stupid.
FIFA players dont feel the same its just they dont have a excessive stats range between players since fifa understand that even a player in the league 2 can make a god damn pass with enough power than someone who is lampard or whatever ,unlike pes low rated player have a 9year old passing power. yall need to think sometime I mean geez

PSM3 review sums up exactly what I think of FIFA 08

"The game is slow. Remarkably slow. EA might claim it's 'realistic', but the sluggish pace is jarring - after playing the new, 'more deliberate' Pro Evo 2008, FIFA 08 still feels like playing in treacle. Short, unnopposed, passes in midfield are reasonably fluid, but balls inexplicably go awry as you try to break into the last third, or as the opposition applies moderate pressure. The pace of the ball is really sluggish, so even top-class players like Fabregas struggle to direct simple one-touch passes to team-mates - you'd be quicker running towards the ball sometimes than waiting for it to arrive. Cross-field balls are more of a hoof than a Beckham-esque guided pass, seeing the sphere balloon skywards - giving the opposition plenty of time to wait for it to land and regain control of the match. The same can be said about crosses into the box - they simply float like bubbles towards the area."

(6.3/10)

That's a bit harsh. the same magazine gave PES 2008 9/10, so maybe they prefer a fast paced game. I think Fifa is a really good game, with a few flaws I do admit.

That's right, anyone who can't see that PES2008 is an arcade game is a fanboy, especially if they somehow think there's something wrong in accepting it's an arcade game, ya know like Halo3 is an arcade game, COD4 is a simulation, it's not blasphemous ya know.......

That's a typical fanboy sentence my friend.. and you know that too.

Well I guess this game is a lot more fun when playing against friends.
Playing against the CPU is not tempting anymore. It's very frustrating and the CPU does cheat a lot. Why would Fabregas have faster reactions when he is controlled by the CPU and slower when I control him? And if there is a colition the CPU allways get up faster than you and gets the ball. Small things like that makes the game very frustrating at times.
This is still the best football game I have playe but it has some major flaws.

Well I guess this game is a lot more fun when playing against friends.
Playing against the CPU is not tempting anymore. It's very frustrating and the CPU does cheat a lot. Why would Fabregas have faster reactions when he is controlled by the CPU and slower when I control him? And if there is a colition the CPU allways get up faster than you and gets the ball. Small things like that makes the game very frustrating at times.
This is still the best football game I have playe but it has some major flaws.

i never play against CPU, only online or against friends, thats the best way to play in my opinion because u are playing against humans and not the computer

That's a typical fanboy sentence my friend.. and you know that too.

You'll find most guys in this thread (Jack Bauer, Coopz, Placebo, Hargreaves4, myself to name just a few) have been Pro Evo/WE lovers for many, MANY years my friend. They really are not EA/FIFA/Konami/PES/WE fanboys. They just want the ultimate football gaming experience.

Last edited:

just lost 2-0 to Plan M

I made some subs as well and they didnt even come on

just lost 2-0 to Plan M

Yeah I wondered why you didn't make subs but you obviously did! :shock:

Good game though mate, your tackle on me that led to the penalty was CYNICAL! That was the first time I played an international match online, I enjoyed it! :)

EDIT: Placebo, what is that voice message you sent me mate? I can't find my headset. :(

Lads, I have tried to love this game,I have played patient slow football and I have put alot of effort into it but I ma afraid its not the game for me.

You can see what its trying to do and I take my hat off to EA for giving it a good go but i feel in doing so they have an underlying problem that makes for a total lack of enjoyment.

I have played around 40 games online, halfway through a career mode, played countless friendlies and played against friends but its just a frustrating slug fest.

These are my biggest gripes:

RESPONSE: Its probably the most unresponsive video game I have ever played (and I have played alot in 15 years) It just does not do what you want it to do at the right moment and then that moment is gone so you end up spending alot of time getting frustrated.

DIFFICULTY I like a game to be hard, but i dont like a game to not give you an inch unless you play it on the lower difficulties. There are far too many occasions when the CPU play like the harlem globetrotters even when they are one star teams, passing like Brazil in 1970 is not in the least bit realistic.

CPU CHEATING I have seen lots of this, especially when you up the difficulty, free kicks awarded to the opposition for small collisions against you and every freekick within 25 yards may as well be a penalty.They do not seem to tire whereas your players are like snails in the last 15 minutes.The classic second ball cheat is very prevelant in this game also and it never ceases to amaze me how a small midfeilder playing for Crewe can hold off two of my 6ft (70 rating) players whilst doing a 360 degree turn.I have conceeded a few goals from the bobble always going to the CPU.

LACK OF DIFFERENTATION There seems very little difference between players and teams except pace so they are not instantly recogniseable as individuals or teams except for the shirts they wear.When you play as 4 star side against a 1 star CPU team its as though they have equal stats, I really cannot tell the difference when i am playing barcelona or Derby County except for that extra yard of pace.

ONE DIMENTIONAL Due to all the above you end up playing a very predictable game in that the only space is out on the wings, so its a pretty much done deal when you kick off that there is going to be lots of wing play, crossing and heading, picking up the loose ball if you can and it just becomes boring.
I would also say around 60% of my online games have been the same, every player is desperate to get it wide, cross and score.This means i have seen alot of goals that are the same and once again the gameplay gets mundane.

REPLAYS You cant save them to your HDD and uploading them is ridiculous in the middle of a game, when I have uploaded some, the quality is poor and its missed half the action.

OTHER

corner kicks,free kicks and Throw-ins are awful,Goalkeepers behaviour is sometimes very odd sometimes diving after the ball is well gone and turning thier backs on long shots.

I have tried desperately to give it a real crack and I have played for hours, but its beauty and promise is let down by the above issues which turn it into a very,very frustrating affair.One mans mud is another mans Gold, you will either love this or hate it , for me i am starting to hate it and thats when you have to realise that its not what you thought it was and therefore I feel let down that once again we still have two average football games on my next gen console.

just lost 2-0 to Plan M

Yep, it's a bug where your subs wont come on if your opponent makes subs at the same time.

@Dr Force

I respect that, you've actually gone into detail about your problems with the game and quite honestly I find it hard to disagree with most of those points. I won't argue with you on the points I do disagree on (and I hope nobody else does either) because you raise good points, with a good attitude, that I hope EA works on for next year.

I agree with a few of Dr.Force's points too and he is right, FIFA 08 seems to be like Marmite. You either love it or you hate it.

@Dr Force

I respect that, you've actually gone into detail about your problems with the game and quite honestly I find it hard to disagree with most of those points. I won't argue with you on the points I do disagree on (and I hope nobody else does either) because you raise good points, with a good attitude, that I hope EA works on for next year.

Thanks jack

Its just such a shame after all the excitement that i feel this way,You know when your not enjoying it and you know that convincing yourself that it is great only ends up in dissapointment.

I would be surprised if any member shoots me down in flames as I know 95% are honest mature people that can see both sides (like yourself)

Its a magnificent attempt at simulating football, the best i have seen on a TV screen, but its problems ruin it for me.

100% agree with Dr Force. On everything.

I'm trying to like it, I really am. But the glaring faults annoy me so much and I don't want to play games that make me feel like that. Games are supposed to be fun, that's the key word. And the fun quickly goes when you take Dr Force's post into account.

Which leaves me in a bad situation. FIFA is better than PES, no doubt. But PES is too fast and scripted (although FIFA feels scripted at times with rails passing) and I don't want to be left with no football game to play :(

To be quite honest I do feel boredom settling in a bit now, I do actually feel differences between my own players but not neccesarily the opposition's. And as a Tranmere fan, playing every single manager mode game in the same stadium is frustrating (although I don't blame EA for not having time to add more). But whenever I see a football match, I stick FIFA 08 on straight afterwards and I do have fun with it, especially online in a league with people who you know play fairly - and from the PES2008 demo I won't even be renting that this year so, it'll do. I am already looking forward to PGR4 and the other games in my sig-list though - I just hope FM2008 is good enough to keep me busy... I really don't like the new match engine...

100% agree with Dr Force. On everything.

I'm trying to like it, I really am. But the glaring faults annoy me so much and I don't want to play games that make me feel like that. Games are supposed to be fun, that's the key word. And the fun quickly goes when you take Dr Force's post into account.

Which leaves me in a bad situation. FIFA is better than PES, no doubt. But PES is too fast and scripted (although FIFA feels scripted at times with rails passing) and I don't want to be left with no football game to play :(

Thats the key point snoop. The fun has gone for me, that feeling of "I cant wait to find time to get stuck into that" is not there after day 4. I have no inclanation to play at the moment because after about an hour I am at risk of trashing the house. No other game has done that to me since getting stuck on the last two levels of cannon Fodder:)

I hope those people that love it, keep enjoying it and I am happy that PES has found some much neede competition.

after reading some good points on here I worried I am gonna get frustrated like other people and stop playing after a week. I still got it on pre-order but now dunno what to do.

It's great EA have taken this huge step but I don't want to play a boring game.

Last edited:

Kobashi, it depends on what you like. Honestly, it's one of those games you don't know about unless you rent it (the demo is nowhere near the full version). I still love it, and I can see myself playing it once a day forever. But it depends on whether the glitches get too much for you.

If you lot stop playing before I've even got the game I'm going to be well bloody pissed ;)

And people who just received voice messages from me know how scary I sound ;)

I agree with Dr Force, these are the exact same problems I have with the game. I really wanted to like this game, because EA have put a lot of effort into this one.

The biggest problem for me is that I can't really play online (there would be horrible lag with the speeds we get here :(). So, my only option is to play against friends, or, mostly, play against the CPU, which I am finding very difficult to enjoy now. However, despite all this, I am sure it's going to end up being a better game than PES this year. Konami, as always, have just tweaked the gameplay like every year. That Seabass interview was hilarious, and I don't think PES is going to improve at all with Seabass heading the development.

My hats off to EA for at least trying something new, and bring in more innovation in football games :applause:

I am sure many people are going to enjoy this, as even I was 'wowed' by the game initially, but I just can't get any fun out of this game now. Looks like another year for me with WE10JL....

after reading some good points on here I worried I am gonna get frustrated like other people and stop playing after a week. I still got it on pre-order but now dunno what to do.

It's great EA have taken this huge step but I don't want to play a boring game.

please dont think that because some folk cant get on with it that its not a good game.It is lovely to watch and the animations are the best I have seen, its just if you can get on with the response issues, then youll love it.

there is an easy way to earn points play the leagues you dont want to play swap the teams with week ones and keep 1 good on to play with then simulate all your games and you should win the league no prob and will get the points at the end its cheating but i now have loads of 3rd kits and a few balls and boots, you also do it with cups

Thanx, are you talking about manager mode? Or tournament league? Gonna give it a try ass i need points. I did simulate a full PL season wich I won but didn`t get any points..

Lads, I have tried to love this game,I have played patient slow football and I have put alot of effort into it but I ma afraid its not the game for me.

You can see what its trying to do and I take my hat off to EA for giving it a good go but i feel in doing so they have an underlying problem that makes for a total lack of enjoyment.

I have played around 40 games online, halfway through a career mode, played countless friendlies and played against friends but its just a frustrating slug fest.

These are my biggest gripes:

RESPONSE: Its probably the most unresponsive video game I have ever played (and I have played alot in 15 years) It just does not do what you want it to do at the right moment and then that moment is gone so you end up spending alot of time getting frustrated.

DIFFICULTY I like a game to be hard, but i dont like a game to not give you an inch unless you play it on the lower difficulties. There are far too many occasions when the CPU play like the harlem globetrotters even when they are one star teams, passing like Brazil in 1970 is not in the least bit realistic.

CPU CHEATING I have seen lots of this, especially when you up the difficulty, free kicks awarded to the opposition for small collisions against you and every freekick within 25 yards may as well be a penalty.They do not seem to tire whereas your players are like snails in the last 15 minutes.The classic second ball cheat is very prevelant in this game also and it never ceases to amaze me how a small midfeilder playing for Crewe can hold off two of my 6ft (70 rating) players whilst doing a 360 degree turn.I have conceeded a few goals from the bobble always going to the CPU.

LACK OF DIFFERENTATION There seems very little difference between players and teams except pace so they are not instantly recogniseable as individuals or teams except for the shirts they wear.When you play as 4 star side against a 1 star CPU team its as though they have equal stats, I really cannot tell the difference when i am playing barcelona or Derby County except for that extra yard of pace.

ONE DIMENTIONAL Due to all the above you end up playing a very predictable game in that the only space is out on the wings, so its a pretty much done deal when you kick off that there is going to be lots of wing play, crossing and heading, picking up the loose ball if you can and it just becomes boring.
I would also say around 60% of my online games have been the same, every player is desperate to get it wide, cross and score.This means i have seen alot of goals that are the same and once again the gameplay gets mundane.

REPLAYS You cant save them to your HDD and uploading them is ridiculous in the middle of a game, when I have uploaded some, the quality is poor and its missed half the action.

OTHER

corner kicks,free kicks and Throw-ins are awful,Goalkeepers behaviour is sometimes very odd sometimes diving after the ball is well gone and turning thier backs on long shots.

I have tried desperately to give it a real crack and I have played for hours, but its beauty and promise is let down by the above issues which turn it into a very,very frustrating affair.One mans mud is another mans Gold, you will either love this or hate it , for me i am starting to hate it and thats when you have to realise that its not what you thought it was and therefore I feel let down that once again we still have two average football games on my next gen console.

Totally, 100% agree.

There are several other grievances that I have with the game. Minor ones, such as the EXP points to create players.
I purchased every 'Mystery' pack, every standard EXP increase for the arena player and had already bought all of the packs to raise the default amount for created players, and yet the best player I can get is rated 74.

If I change the arena player, is it impossible to purchase the EXP increase packs again, i.e. they can only ever be used on one player? If so - absolutely outrageous. Why limit the points in the first place?

Online leagues with mature and fair people (like the mini league we're doing) seems to be the best this game has to offer.

I think thats a fair assumption, i am still going to give the online league a go because i love the site and there will be some fun in there for sure.

Online leagues with mature and fair people (like the mini league we're doing) seems to be the best this game has to offer.
100% agree, completely. I love playing the guys on here in a league, it's insanely fun.

That's right, anyone who can't see that PES2008 is an arcade game is a fanboy, especially if they somehow think there's something wrong in accepting it's an arcade game, ya know like Halo3 is an arcade game, COD4 is a simulation, it's not blasphemous ya know.......

Jesus f**** christ, you still havent played the final game. Stop that fanboy rubbish!

Back
Top Bottom