FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

FIFA walks over PES in both single and multiplayer games, no comparison between FIFA and PES.

Off-topic, where's Jack? What's a good pub to have a drink before the match? I'm off to watch Tranmere v Crewe tonight with my brother :)

Even 2vs2 games are good and fun?
Why lot of players are telling that playing Ronaldo and Gattuso is near the same?

Hi yacine,

check my review 2 posts above. I'll get PES for sure, too.
But FIFA is a good game. You'll need a lot of time to learn it. For an hardcore PES player it can be very frustrating, but it's worth it. It's a completely different game to PES, though.

I cannot say which game I'll play in 1 year, as FIFA is just out for a week and PES 2008 isn't even out yet.

hi everybody

i am posting on this board in this thread because i am also one of those converted
i have been playing pes since ISS on the Playstation, and always laughed about the physics and gameplay of FIFA, but what EA has done on the nex gen is simply amazing

i have never played a game that feels that much like real football

@ Jack Bauer: since you are in contact with EA about a patch, there would be some things i like to know (besides the freezes and the squad update bug):

- are the planning to release updated player ratings, appearances, squads,... on a regular basis?
- any official statement about the missing sponsors
- are they going to fix incorrect things when telling them (for example Innsbruck of Austria has wrong shorts)

in the past EA Sports hasn't been known as releasing that much patches, because a new version is coming once a year anyways, but hopefully that won't be the case this time

conerning the sponsors: i respect that there are some national laws, that might be a problem BUT binding the appearence of some sponsors to the language setting isn't an appropriate solution in my opinon
for example: on german setting the sponsors of betting companies are disabled (BWIN,...), when set to english they are there
Austria doesn't have the same legal situation as Germany, but will also have to live without those sponsors
furthermore: if there should be a problem with companies relating to betting, alcohol,... why not use the security settings of the Playstation to make sure that adults can see those sponsors and childs don't?

about the player selection problem: i always played PES on manual setting, and therefore also tried to play FIFA on manual but experienced major problems when trying to select the nearest players for headers, counters,... i also noticed the bug where you are not able to select another player for a few seconds
then i read that it is much better to play on automatic
and it is true
i now play on the lowest automatic system and have to say that after a while i am used to that and it playes perfect now

miguel, have you been going in the first, second or third Europe lobbies? Or not at all?

Yesterday I started playing with people from the second lobby, but got tired of inviting people so decided to have quick ranked matches - there was no lag at all and it was a lot quicker.

Anyway, we can create an Evo-Web room and password-protect it, right? That would make things easier. :)

Good idea Miguel, we should create a EW lobby, although when the league starts we might not need one :)

FIFA walks over PES in both single and multiplayer games, no comparison between FIFA and PES.

it's not that easy !

PES has given me loads of great and excting moments, on- and offline. I'm sure this will be the same with PES2008.

Playing FIFA is hard work. I have to put (too) much energy into controlling the game. PES just flows.
Maybe this will change once I've internalized the controls.
Time will tell.

Alot of people complain about defending headers after a corner.

The problem is that you want to defend with passing button like in PES. Just use the trick button/jockey to get into position and press the Long pass or shootbutton to clear. You have to think the realitic way of football. If you are a defender and a sharp corner is on they way in your box, what do you do? Jump in the air to head a pass or jump and that ball to get it out of the box whatever it costs.

Last edited:

Good idea Miguel, we should create a EW lobby, although when the league starts we might not need one :)

Nah, I think it will still be useful. We won't play the same guy more than one or three times in the league, so the EW lobby will be a good way to easily play guys from here.

Now we just have to find a password to lock the room, something simple people won't forget. Any suggestions?

It would be cool if we could use the same room name and password for the PS3 and Xbox360 rooms, so there won't be many problems.

By the way, I've added some of you guys as friends on the EA SPORTS World page. :)

Hi everyone !!
Just want some advices. I want to buy FIFA08 and PES2008....PES2008 I know it.
Is FIFA08 a good game? I mean, know that some players have played it for a week, is it a hard game for a hardcore gamer like me?
I want to play it specially alone vs the CPU ! Is it good or boring after one or two leagues?

PES2008 is for multiplayer (I always hated the ML)...Hope you'll help me.

Take a look at the fifa blog for review and other stuff.http://www.fifasoccerblog.com/

If you are a hardcore gamer this is the game to have! Take some tips from other players cause it will change your game and give it some time and you will love it I`m sure ;)

Edit: anybody know how to curv the ball on free kicks?

Last edited:

There is no doubt that its a fantastic game, its difficult to master and it does play like real football.

I just want to see lower league players make mistakes or not have excellent ball control so I can capitalise on them.It seems as though my opposition can pounce on my mistakes but I cant see the CPU making any (Coca Cola League 1)

I dropped it to semi pro and started a new manager mode with swansea. Played 3 and won 3, but up it to Pro and beyond and I am struggling to get near the goal.I think its this huge differentation between semi-pro and pro thats causing some head scratching.

I see bad control and passing errors from the CPU in Semi but I dont see any errors in pro.They should have narrowed the gap slightly between difficulty levels but then again this game should last a year so its got to be hard just not impossible.

EDIT** does anybody know why there are no subs or coaches in the dug out again?? It looks silly when you run past empty seats aith a few bags an bottles scattered about the place.
I scored a goal yesterday where my player shot from about 20 yards, it deflected off a defenders back, the keeper flew to his right and the ball looped into the left corner.It looked almost real and thats what i love about it, I love the realism, I love the battle, but I need to feel that I am improving.The thing is when you lose a couple of games by 4 and 5 on the bounce you feel there is no yard stick to measure this improvement.

I am going to keep plugging away, swapping between the two dificulties and see how i do.

Online is outstanding though.

Last edited:

Has anyone else come across the bug that if your the host online, and you make a substution, and your opponent does too, it only does his when the ball goes out of play, but not yours?

I'm going off it a little bit :(

Mainley due to the awful keepers and all the players feeling the same, apart from there speed. :(

Nah, I think it will still be useful. We won't play the same guy more than one or three times in the league, so the EW lobby will be a good way to easily play guys from here.

Now we just have to find a password to lock the room, something simple people won't forget. Any suggestions?

It would be cool if we could use the same room name and password for the PS3 and Xbox360 rooms, so there won't be many problems.

By the way, I've added some of you guys as friends on the EA SPORTS World page. :)

:) "play4fun"

btw thanks for the pic airjoca :mrgreen:

Most stupid thing I've heard. FIFA 08 isn't that different from PES 6. You pass the ball, you receive the ball trying to get a good 1st touch, you create space for yourself, you pass the ball, you shoot. It feels like a slightly slowed down and more buggy version of PES6.

Hi yacine,

check my review 2 posts above. I'll get PES for sure, too.
But FIFA is a good game. You'll need a lot of time to learn it. For an hardcore PES player it can be very frustrating, but it's worth it. It's a completely different game to PES, though.

Whats so different about it? I played lots of mathes online this weekend, I won most of them, and I played like I always did when playing PES 6 (I dont play cutback goals on PES 6). I don't think the game is that different.

Most stupid thing I've heard. FIFA 08 isn't that different from PES 6. You pass the ball, you receive the ball trying to get a good 1st touch, you create space for yourself, you pass the ball, you shoot. It feels like a slightly slowed down and more buggy version of PES6.

:lmao:

Most stupid think I've heard :lol:

Hi everyone !!
Just want some advices. I want to buy FIFA08 and PES2008....PES2008 I know it.
Is FIFA08 a good game? I mean, know that some players have played it for a week, is it a hard game for a hardcore gamer like me?
I want to play it specially alone vs the CPU ! Is it good or boring after one or two leagues?

PES2008 is for multiplayer (I always hated the ML)...Hope you'll help me.

It is surely worth the try. Just one advice and you should carve it in your brain, Do NOT play it like its PES or you'll be frustrated. Adapt to it and forget PES exists (only while playing Fifa heheh).

Whats so different about it? I played lots of mathes online this weekend, I won most of them, and I played like I always did when playing PES 6 (I dont play cutback goals on PES 6). I don't think the game is that different.

Well, don't know if you've played with all settings set to assisted or manual.
I play with manual and it's a lot harder to create my play then. Also pulling off tricks is quite hard (for me at least)

Playing PES I don't have to think about which button to press, it just happens. (-> that's why I love PES)

The way you play football/built up your attacks should be the same in PES and FIFA, but both games feel different (FIFA is a little bit slower than PES360, PES360 feels more responsive/dynamic)

In other words:
I think I'm a good PES player (don't use cutbacks, too. I like to play a "modern" style of football. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, it's about fun), but I think I'm still a crappy FIFA player. It will take time to play FIFA the same way I'm used to play PES

Was getting so frustrated playing as Arsenal - But Been using lots of different teams and I love playing as Ajax now!!

I always play Quick ranked matches online and I love them. I dominated a game against Real Madrid with me as Ajax. The poor guy didn't even get a shot on goal!

I feel I am ready to take on some Evo Web people - but maybe not tonight, as I am out watching the footy.

I stayed up until 3:30am this morning playing online (Only time I don't get grief from the wife for playing it) with Ajax and I had great fun just couldn't put it down - I haven't done that for ages with a game when working the next day - I actually feel quite good aswell at work, I think Fifa is good for me!

I might be on in the Wee small hours again - so If you see me on and fancy a game - just let me know.

It is surely worth the try. Just one advice and you should carve it in your brain, Do NOT play it like its PES or you'll be frustrated. Adapt to it and forget PES exists (only while playing Fifa heheh).

Thanks for the advice. I know about that. I'll play it (as in PES) like a real football game.
I know by looking to everybody's reviews that this game is great.
But every year FIFA has his bugs and I want to know if they are minimized this year.

I was playing an FA Cup tie against Wolves last night and FUCK ME were they amazing! my players all had good energy levels (upgraded Fitness coach) and I put a decent side out (unlike Fergie in the Carling Cup this year) and yet they were all over me! (World Class Difficulty). I tried the advice given to me using the right stick for 1st touches and using the Left Bumper (Classic Alternate controls) for slower movement but the CPU still did some super duper slide tackles and won the ball off of me easily. Plus their back 4 was completely unstoppable and never made a single mistake..... I am concerned.

Well, don't know if you've played with all settings set to assisted or manual.
I play with manual and it's a lot harder to create my play then. Also pulling off tricks is quite hard (for me at least)

Playing PES I don't have to think about which button to press, it just happens. (-> that's why I love PES)

The way you play football/built up your attacks should be the same in PES and FIFA, but both games feel different (FIFA is a little bit slower than PES360, PES360 feels more responsive/dynamic)

In other words:
I think I'm a good PES player (don't use cutbacks, too. I like to play a "modern" style of football. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, it's about fun), but I think I'm still a crappy FIFA player. It will take time to play FIFA the same way I'm used to play PES

I agree mate !
That's my way of playing a football game. I always try to do different things. I hope FIFA08 will give me this possibilty because in PES that's what I love. 90% time players do what I ask them to do...

I played online for a few hours last night (after hating it when I played on Sunday) and had some superb matches. I won a few with TOTAL possession. I played this guy, he was Chelsea, all he did was get the ball and try and charge at my defenders as if it was the NFL! I didn't notice ANY lag in ANY of my matches either (unlike on Sunday where I played a guy and the game was stuttering all over the place!).

Great game.

Was getting so frustrated playing as Arsenal - But Been using lots of different teams and I love playing as Ajax now!!

I always play Quick ranked matches online and I love them. I dominated a game against Real Madrid with me as Ajax. The poor guy didn't even get a shot on goal!

I feel I am ready to take on some Evo Web people - but maybe not tonight, as I am out watching the footy.

I stayed up until 3:30am this morning playing online (Only time I don't get grief from the wife for playing it) with Ajax and I had great fun just couldn't put it down - I haven't done that for ages with a game when working the next day - I actually feel quite good aswell at work, I think Fifa is good for me!

I might be on in the Wee small hours again - so If you see me on and fancy a game - just let me know.

I've played as Ajax too, and also had a really good game :)

I agree mate !
That's my way of playing a football game. I always try to do different things. I hope FIFA08 will give me this possibilty because in PES that's what I love. 90% time players do what I ask them to do...

If you have a spare 60€ buy it !
I still have only 1 week of experience, but it was fun (and hard work/frustrating moments, too) to discover this game. I didn't like FIFA07/UCL, so it must have improved a lot ;)

When I remember back to PES1 (I've switched from FIFA 2000/1 to PES1) it was hard and painful to learn PES, but I've never wanted to go back then.

Off-topic, where's Jack? What's a good pub to have a drink before the match? I'm off to watch Tranmere v Crewe tonight with my brother :)
There's two pubs virtually attached to the ground. You can't miss them; the first one is the Prenton Park, traditional pub with a good mix of fans. After leaving the away end, turn right, and after a few yards you'll see it on the opposite side of the road. That's where I'd go.

If you want a more away-fan-filled pub (although I've never seen a problem in the Prenton), there's The Mersey Clipper. Much more modern pub, behind the main stand. Again, it's so close that it's only a few yards to walk. After leaving the away stand, turn left and follow the road and the railings until you see it on your left, you can't miss it.

Have fun - I'm tempted to go to this one myself, especially as it's only a fiver for under-23s tonight.

Seriously failing to see what everyone is bangin on about with this game. All the players feel the same, bar a few obvious candidates (Ronnie, Rooney, Henry, Ronaldinho etc etc). Where's this unbelievable realism?

I appreciate what they've done by slowing the pace down, working on the player motions, improving the ball physics and actually trying something different rather than desperately copy PES.

However, it's same old same old FIFA underneath:

- STILL has rubbish cameras. What's all this zooming business?
- Tactics are still rubbish. There's no real, tangible stats system. FIFA needs to have proper stats ala FM and PES, lest...
- The majority of players feel the same.
- Defence is still mono stylistic, whether you're playing Barnet or Barcelona.

None of this has been fixed, yet people have all the breath in the world to shoot down PES?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172787

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172753

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/908/908851.html

Seems I'm not alone. Year of FIFA? Please...

Back
Top Bottom