FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

The AI of my players is awful when it comes to making space up front, the front players do sod all and just stand there waiting, I shouldn't HAVE to trigger them to make a run, they should use one of their 1000 decisions a second to actually try and get space.

That made me laugh - Its true about players running into space up front. Many Times I'm running down the wing and reaching the box ready to cross and my forward players actually run backwards away from the goal!! So I have to slam the button to make them run forward.

There are little things that are annoying me alot - but there is somethig about the game that just wants me to play more and more - I wanna get really good at it.

I love online play more than playing the computer. I have also gone to semi shooting as Manual was too hard - when I start scoring I will change back and try again.

Anyway - Earlier I asked if you can dummy the ball - By letting it pass through your legs? it must be in there surely?

Please tell them to get rid of "Game Over" when sacked in Manager mode :(
Not something they will fix with a patch, I can guarantee you. That will require more programming than a bugfix.

Right, I've played online for an hour and a half now, my only problems with the game are...

* Super goalkeepers (not sure if this is because I'm on semi-shooting or not)
* Stupid goalkeepers (low cross comes in with someone running onto it and the GK runs out of position to kick it away - SMOTHER IT!!)
* Heading sometimes impossible (ball comes in at height, you press to head the ball, he'll chest it and then kick it)
* Player selection locking (so annoying when there's five seconds where you can't select a player, especially online)
* Response times (I love the game but there's no denying the instant "wow" factor you get when trying the PES2008 demo and seeing the players respond so quickly)

I can't think of anything else, but trust me, that is great. I could list a lot more faults with PES than I could with this game... I absolutely love it.

FIFA 08 has been out for less than a week for most here - do you really want a game that you're able to completely master in that amount of time?? (Or even be really good at?!).

If you truly don't enjoy playing it then simply yank it out of your console and sell it on Ebay or toss it on the coffee table as a coaster.
However if you're coming on here every half hour to post how frustrated you are cuz you can't dribble thru defenses or put the ball in the back of the net and are drawing/losing matches you feel you should be winning then stop and think about what you're really saying...

NO game is perfect (or probably ever will be) so what we're left with is that FIFA 08 is challenging to play for many different reasons - don't bother replying with a rant about responsiveness because that's part of the game like it or not (if you don't then as stated just get on with your life - shite happens, even in footy games!).
Isn't it infinitely better to have a game that you CAN'T dominate after less than a week?...that you CAN'T simply do what you want to do after less than a week?...that you CAN'T win the majority of your games at after less than a week?...rather than a title where you're playing accomplished football and banging in goals after less than a week?!

Anything worthwhile in life takes time and any acitivity requiring repetitive action (such as sport and yes, videogames!) demands practice, lots of it!...and again don't reply saying that the responsiveness or some other issue prevents you from being successful...IT'S PART OF THE GAME!! Find some way to overcome it or just don't play and spare us your whinging!! :|

Seriously tho, think about the first time and the first week you played PES or Winning Eleven...were you dominating that game after less than a week?? I think that many here are used to the familiarity and success enjoyed with past footy videogames and being thrown back to 'primary school' with FIFA 08 is a distressing endeavor.
No one is forcing you to play it so if you don't enjoy it then what's the point but if you do then give it a bit of time and practice and a different approach/strategy rather than just banging your head against the wall and then rushing to post how pissed you are here in the forum.
If the game was truly abysmal that would be one thing but many, many experienced gamers here like it immensely and I daresay that one of the reasons is that it is so very challenging and demands hard work and effort to reap success.

But in the end it's just a game after all and it will always be an imperfect one at that so why not just take it for what it is and have some fun with it or simply leave it be.

Anyway that's just my humble thoughts and that's all I have to say about that.

Cant argue with that, top post. And who in real life plays sublime attacking football everyweek and wins every match? no one!

Im gald when im struggling, its frustrating but realistic.

Wtf is going on?! Ok look, I just got my english version of the game.
Now, I've seen videos posted here of games between Liverpool and Everton where the commentators make comments about how an important match it is and that its a derby and so on. I have now played 3 games between Liverpool and Everton and they have not said anything like that!
I want that atmosphere! Has anyone else noticed this?

I'd like to know if results between cpu matches are realistic in manager mode. And in ur team are the strikers still scoring 90% of ur team goals or are there more varied goalscorers like real life, fifa 07 had these problem. Finally would like to know if gameplay is good to keep u playing and enjoying all games in career or do you feel like simulating all matches.????

tnx in advance

ps:sorry for bad english

Portugal (airjoca) x England (PDoggUK) 0-0 after 90m. Just when the England fans were fearing another penalty shootout against Portugal they scream goal. But no, it was off the post! :) On the other end of the pitch, Ronaldo makes them pay, scores, Portugal wins... again :D

Love it. ;)

Hehe, great game :) It was actually me and a mate playing you, wasn't sure if you knew.

I've definitely got used to the response times, seen very few bugs and am enjoying it immensely. The goalies are a bit pony and Y doesn't really bring them out all that well but those are my only real gripes. I've managed some goals on legendary and not noticed too many FK's getting scored against me.

Online is great if a little frustrating. Poor design but overall a very good package.

One of my few major problems with the game is the retarded fatigue system in Manager Mode. I hope that is not intentional and can/will be fixed otherwise I just wont bother with Manager Mode at all.

Just got back from the PS3. I've played the game online for a couple of hours, it was really fun. Played 8 games, won 6. Still can't score with anything but the head though. :|

Anyway, unlikely PES6, it's impressive I haven't had almost any laggy game (apart from an England vs Portugal in which I had to press the buttons 3 seconds before to make my players move). Nice. :p

I'm really loving the game, if only the flaws JB mentioned could be fixed... :p

Good night.

commentators say all that for me.

persist with the game snoop and co...it really gets great i can put together great little intricate passing moves at the top of the box...and also vary my play out wide.

Sounds to me like you are trying to play it like PES mate.

guys, reading some comments here i have to say that im surprised a lot of u are having trouble scoring headers, i cant say that im scoring a lot but im scoring enough headers to keep it realistic, this game is amazing, i love the struggle and the effort i have put in to score a goal, its bloody brilliant

Regarding the fatigue issue, are you noticing it as worse during the first few matches of the season? 07 had a simulated "match fitness" so that it takes about 5 or 6 games from the start of the season to be match fit, before that amount of games the players get tired quicker and recover slower between matches.......

Would be interesting if someone could start manager mode and deliberately not improve their fitness coach, stick with the exact same starting 11 no matter how bad their fitness is for 5 or 6 games and see if the fitness problems start to ease after that?

i love the game but why can't you choose stadiums in manager mode??
i don't understand...

I've been playing the game a lot recently and I absolutely love it!
But a few things bothers me. In all of my games against the CPU I have not seen them give one ball away, they never make a wrong pass. And I feel there is a very small diffrence in difficulty when playing against Chelsea compared to playing against Colchester for example.

Amen brother. Simulation my arse!!

errr i can easily tell the difference and several PES players around me also notice it.
I agree i would absolutely love to change the default stadiums for most of the teams from the estadio de los artes or whatever its called.
Also, id love to be able to edit the free kick animation each player has assigned..the default one is retarded their foot doesnt kick the ball right.

Seems like there's two different versions of the game around because half the things people are posting are contradictory to what other people are posting, Ozkar says the Merseyside derby is never discussed in the commentary, hell we've all heard it discussed in the video Jack released, he says he has never seen the AI give the ball away, doesn't Jack talk about that in his "review" that the AI are realistic in the face that even the best teams do misplaced passes from time to time?

commentators say all that for me.

persist with the game snoop and co...it really gets great i can put together great little intricate passing moves at the top of the box...and also vary my play out wide.

Sounds to me like you are trying to play it like PES mate.

I will stick with it, I have no choice with it being the only good football game this year :)

I'm definately not trying to play it like PES though, haven't played PES since PES6 first came out (Been on FIFA and UCL since then). All I am trying to do is play a slow-passing game (definately can't be done on arcade PES hehe) but the AI won't let me and is rushing me into quick passing just so I don't get tackled. Very frustrating really.

Talking of commentators, I was well impressed last night. Played Man U v Spurs and quite a few times Tyler and Gray spoke about past Man U and Spurs games - saying games at WHL are normally good, but Spurs find it hard at Old Trafford etc. I was well impressed - I can understand the extra bits of commentary for derby matches, but a seemingly random match had a nice piece.

My 2nd league game of the season was the Merseyside derby and there was not one mention of it being a derby!.:roll:

I'm a DIE HARD PES player (never liked FIFA07/UCL, even though I'm tried) and yes, FIFA08 is a good football game.

I'm playing the PS3 version, as I'm for some reason more used to the six axxis (played PES 360 all day long, so it can't be the controller)
The 360 version clearly looks better, though( -> AA, 1080p,..)

If you switch over from PES like I did (at least for 4 weeks), you have to keep in mind, it's a totally different game.
You have to learn how to control it (manual passing, shooting, pulling off the tricks), you have to get used to the game mechanics.
That's why it feels so unresponsive and frustrating for most PES players. But once you've mastered the free passing, you'll now what JB(Chris) is talking about all the time.

PES is easier to control (not easier to master!!!), I don't want to call it "more arcadey". There is actually some truth in CVG's harch words
FIFA 08's biggest problem is that it makes it just too difficult to actually play football

I'd like to see the following points improved in future versions:

- control scheme(see above): the tricks button should be merged with the slow run button and tricks should be fired up with the left stick
- player liknesses: it's a shame a licensed game has thus bad player faces/models(small players look like dwarves)
- ball physics still needs some tweaking (it's far better than 07, though)
- I couldn't really notice differences between good/bad teams and players. Stats should have even more impact
- Set plays have to be improved! Both, CPU taken (freekicks!) and player controlled
- CPU controlled players need to be improved: they are not running into open spaces, keep on walking in their positions. Best seen in Be-A-Pro: my team (5 stars) should have won easily against the CPU team (1 star), even with my controlled player doing nothing.
- saving replays to HD is a must have, don't want to share everything ;)
- I haven't played online yet (need to master the game first), so I can't comment here
- CPU calculated games need realitic scores (with a spice of random, as in real life)

So if you are a PES maniac like me, try to give this game a chance (at least for 4 weeks) it's worth it.
Hopefully Joe Booth keeps on developing the series, it's done 2 steps to the right direction

it doesnt always say it (the derby commentary)...and rightly so.

Im just wondering why the frame rate is so poor on my be a pro mode.

I have an early (prob 2nd or 3rd version) PAL Xbox 360. The be a pro videos in the gametrailers review look soooo smooth...is this how you guys are experiencing it? Real shame that i cant. Any tips to get my 360 running better would be much appreciated. It plays all other games with no frame rate problems except fifa 08 (on both sdtv and hdtv) where the replays are a little droppy and the be a pro mode is quite laggy (frame-rate wise) because of the massive crowd. I havent tried it in small stadiums yet...but the whole point is to play at old trafford and feel dwarfed by the stands etc.

Last edited:

how can you defend those stupid headers with a corner arghhh

wrexham - barcelona 0-1 header i was all over him 1 corner and i lost arghhh
stockport - inter 0-1 header
darlington - barcelona 2-3 headers 3

One of my few major problems with the game is the retarded fatigue system in Manager Mode. I hope that is not intentional and can/will be fixed otherwise I just wont bother with Manager Mode at all.

Just up your fitness staff by a few levels mate :)

Hi everyone !!
Just want some advices. I want to buy FIFA08 and PES2008....PES2008 I know it.
Is FIFA08 a good game? I mean, know that some players have played it for a week, is it a hard game for a hardcore gamer like me?
I want to play it specially alone vs the CPU ! Is it good or boring after one or two leagues?

PES2008 is for multiplayer (I always hated the ML)...Hope you'll help me.

Hi everyone !!
Just want some advices. I want to buy FIFA08 and PES2008....PES2008 I know it.
Is FIFA08 a good game? I mean, know that some players have played it for a week, is it a hard game for a hardcore gamer like me?
I want to play it specially alone vs the CPU ! Is it good or boring after one or two leagues?

PES2008 is for multiplayer (I always hated the ML)...Hope you'll help me.

FIFA walks over PES in both single and multiplayer games, no comparison between FIFA and PES.

Off-topic, where's Jack? What's a good pub to have a drink before the match? I'm off to watch Tranmere v Crewe tonight with my brother :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom