FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

The game froze on me third time i played it on the ea hd logo. (ps3 version)

should i be worried?

Last edited:

I'd be REALLY grateful if somebody could post anything related to Manchester City from Fifa 08. Stats, faces...anything really.

Please?

;)

Have to say im really enjoying the MM. Just realised, after reading a few comments, that i havent even played challenge, beapro or done a tournament yet. So much more to do! Sadly i havent got much time to really spend a lot of time in the game as im too busy atm. So im just focussing on my accrington stanley adventure on pro level (semi is just a bit too easy). I really have to play and think about what im doing on pro, if i go ahead i keep possesion more and things like that. Having played 24 matches in the league (and got through in 2 of the 3 cups to the 3rd round) the balance seems really good. Its tough to score, although sometimes teams just fall apart after going ahead, managed a 4-1 the other day. And beat MK Dons with ease today, 2-0 and they didnt offer any threat. I did manage to sign a few "cheap" 60/70 point players, 3 of them actually. Ive got 2 strikers and an attacking midfielder by doing this and they really make the difference. I also changed my formation and its now more solid at the back. My original striker, none of whom are above 50 points just dont have the strength to make a difference 1-on-1 and the finishing isnt to good either. Having the slightly better players (signed on free's) helps a lot. Thats my main area that needs a bit of help as midfield and defense are pretty solid with the crappo's.

I first had a 3-5-2 formation with 2 defensive midfielders which made the centre pretty impregable but without decent wingbacks they could cross far too often and it usually ended up with a goal being conceded. Ive reverted back to a 4-4-2 diamond with one CB playing a bit behind the other to offer cover when needed. Helps a lot as when a attacker goes down the centre i always have cover now. Didnt have that with the 3.

Ive also got my fitness staff up to 7 so most of my players can last atleast 3,4 matches before they really get knackerd. Meaning i can rotate a decent amount without losing my teamgeist and keeping quite a few regulars in the team. I also sub my fabulous 3 (the attackers) at 60min when im ahead. Even if its just 1-0, i try to hang on. Keeps them fresher for longer and gives the secondrate attackers an oppertunity to hopefully score a goal on the counter and seal the win.

I cant say ive got many problems with the response, the only element atm that i havent got right is the longball, i need quite a bit of space to do that. Other then that im fine, and thats with all the crappy players :D
So im really pleased about that, as it was one of my main concerns after 07 and UCL.

Still a 8 or 9/10 for me. Seen one goalie mistake so far (oppo goalie ran out to clear a longpass while at the same time his defender was also going for it and the goalie ended up booting it out for a corner (over his own goal). And have had about 3, 4 times were ive been "locked" to a player for a moment. Cant say ive noticed much else really, atleast not something that has stood out for its oddness.

Still loving it, but then its only been a week (got it tuesday :P). But ive still got so much to do it should keep me busy for a while.

That happened to me the first time this afternoon. Oh well, I think this game crashes way too much... :|

We've been in touch with EA, apparently a patch is already in the works (a 360 one to fix the never-ending downloading of transfer updates bug, and a PS3 one to fix these crashes). We've sent them a big list of problems we have with the game, I hope they aren't the only two things that are looked at (even if they are the most important fixes)...

Jack, can you tell them about the 360 notifications appearing over the radar!

On 360, quick ranked match I press and why the fuck do people select quick ranked match, then not pick a fucking team!? they just sit there on the screen for fucks sake :mad:

Jack, can you tell them about the 360 notifications appearing over the radar!
LOL, mate, they appear over everything of significance on every game I've ever played. That's why I haven't switched them on for years. :)

On 360, quick ranked match I press and why the fuck do people select quick ranked match, then not pick a fucking team!? they just sit there on the screen for fucks sake :mad:
To piss you off... They've done it on every football game I've ever played online. At half-time on PES6 I remember nearly every opponent waiting for the 30 seconds wait to finish rather than pressing "proceed to second half", just to piss you off.

World Class is still a joke. Funny how the CPU wingers can control the ball and turn on a six-pence without the ball moving an inch from their feet yet when I try and turn with ANY player, the CPU is right on my backside and 70% of the time comes out with the ball unless I pass it.

The AI of my players is awful when it comes to making space up front, the front players do sod all and just stand there waiting, I shouldn't HAVE to trigger them to make a run, they should use one of their 1000 decisions a second to actually try and get space. Getting the ball in centre midfield just means I have to pass to my wingers due to my strikers being so tightly marked that the defenders are wearing the same shirt as the man they're marking!

So my winger gets it, tries to run with the ball but is caught up like it's a snail vs a hare, just like the old PES days when you tried to run with Henry and Hyppia could chase back and catch him.

I've tried passing the ball around, getting the ball to my striker and passing it to the midfield. And then what? EVERYBODY is marked apart from wingers. So I have no choice but to pass to the wingers, my play has become one-dimensional and boring. I could play some great football on the demo but now there's no chance. The CPU marking is totally unrealistic and I've never seen a game of football where every outfield player is so tightly marked, even players who are great at finding space can't get more than a few feet away from their marker.

Slide tackles are crazy too, so many times I'd have gotten the ball but the CPU somehow gets a free kick, yet the CPU hacks me down countless times and I don't even get a foul let alone a yellow card against the CPU.

Single player is verging on unplayable so far, it seems the higher the skill level, the more the CPU reacts to balls which means you can't compete. On Professional it was hard to get the second ball anyway, World Class means you wont.

Not impressed.

World Class is still a joke. Funny how the CPU wingers can control the ball and turn on a six-pence without the ball moving an inch from their feet yet when I try and turn with ANY player, the CPU is right on my backside and 70% of the time comes out with the ball unless I pass it.

The AI of my players is awful when it comes to making space up front, the front players do sod all and just stand there waiting, I shouldn't HAVE to trigger them to make a run, they should use one of their 1000 decisions a second to actually try and get space. Getting the ball in centre midfield just means I have to pass to my wingers due to my strikers being so tightly marked that the defenders are wearing the same shirt as the man they're marking!

So my winger gets it, tries to run with the ball but is caught up like it's a snail vs a hare, just like the old PES days when you tried to run with Henry and Hyppia could chase back and catch him.

I've tried passing the ball around, getting the ball to my striker and passing it to the midfield. And then what? EVERYBODY is marked apart from wingers. So I have no choice but to pass to the wingers, my play has become one-dimensional and boring. I could play some great football on the demo but now there's no chance. The CPU marking is totally unrealistic and I've never seen a game of football where every outfield player is so tightly marked, even players who are great at finding space can't get more than a few feet away from their marker.

Slide tackles are crazy too, so many times I'd have gotten the ball but the CPU somehow gets a free kick, yet the CPU hacks me down countless times and I don't even get a foul let alone a yellow card against the CPU.

Single player is verging on unplayable so far, it seems the higher the skill level, the more the CPU reacts to balls which means you can't compete. On Professional it was hard to get the second ball anyway, World Class means you wont.

Not impressed.

I would have to disagree totally, Snoop. Maybe you just need to let it go, and play the game for what it is?

I'm getting the hang of it. Yesterday I was frustrated!!! I couldn't do anything on semi-pro, moved to amatauer. Beat Spurs 4-0, then play Aston Villa and draw 1-1 lol!

And got so angry, and left it to play Gears of War!!!

So started again today on semi-pro, and finally getting the hang of it. I can finally win some games, and score a lot of goals :)
Hope it stays like that.

I would have to disagree totally, Snoop. Maybe you just need to let it go, and play the game for what it is?

But what it is is frustrating, mate, I try to pass the ball to feet and play decent football but I can't. And watching the CPU pass it around like nobody is there is really annoying. Why does the CPU get so much space to play it around my area, yet I can't get pass the centre circle?

Against other people I'm fine, I can make space and play some good football. But the CPU is another ball game literally, it's like trying to kick a brick ball down with bare feet.

That's my point really. I'm not the only one to say playing online is a MUCH better game. Playing the CPU is clearly robotic and it DEFINATELY feels like the CPU has certain "advantages" when it comes to response, movement and AI.

I´m really pissed ... just lost an online game ( 1-2, 85th minute) because of this stupid bug that freezes the player selection after a corner. The guy i was playing with made the counter attack and scored while i kept pressing the selection trigger like John Wayne with nothing happening at all. This is an unforgivable and really dumb flaw, i will surely lose interest in this game if they dont fix it....

I do share some of Snoops Concerns. I really can't see much evidence of the 800 odd decision process.

The computer doesn't suffer from the responsiveness issue and they can flawlessly dance round your defenders with precision. And the PES disease of constant pressing is still there on the higher difficulty levels.

[size=+1]Major skill problems getting on my tits:[/size]

Why, oh why, oh why do the left footed players perform the skills (the main one I'm thinking of is the flip-flap) with their right foot!? EA have had a massive problem with left footed players. I remember a couple of versions ago, Iker Casillas would take goal kicks with his right foot.

Also, why the fuck can Van Persie perform a flip-flap (with his right foot, of course) yet Ronaldo (the fat Brazilian one) cannot!? His dribbling is higher than Van Persie's, so does agility come into the equation?

Hmm, I don't see it myself guys, I find that when I play against the CPU it's a great match most of the time, some of the time it's a scrappy game. But I don't see any of the issues you guys are really talking about?

why are you playing on world class anyway? surely your not that good?

It seems most people in here are playing on World Class as WC appears to give a more realistic game. I noticed that I do have more space on the ball on WC than Pro, but still not enough to play a slow-passing game like in Italy etc

I feel like its difficult to improve your game, so it encourages you to play one way................wing, cross, header, pick up the bits and repeat, because this is the only area of the pitch that alows you to run and hve a bit of space.I have tried quick one,twos by pulling in the trigger and double tap pass, but by the time he has steadyed himself to play the return he is tackled.

it seems to me that the CPU has more time, can pass better,run quicker,turn quicker even though it has lesser players than my side.Surely thats a sign of CPU cheating.

I want to learn various ways of breaking down teams using clever through balls, intricate passing and great skill.IMHO there is no way to be able to do this on a game that the cpu is playing football like Karpov does chess at the middle difficulty.

I hate the thought of playing matches over and over again that is a case of getting wide to score..............it becomes predictable which this game is certainly not professing to be.The actual goals are diverse and beautiful to watch, but its the cpu scoring them and I dont really want to keep playing a game that I am struggling to just touch the surface because its just too hard.

Semi pro is too easy for me,but go up another level and its a pretty predictable outcome.

There is no space and I spend alot of time playing for ages at the back and then the cpu presses in this area so you quickly lose possession.I dunno one day i like it, the next day I dont.

I have swithed off the PES mentality, I am trying to play it like football but theres just no time and your own player AI is average against the CPU "Brazil 1970"(yeovil,southend,peterborough).Onlines different because your opponent allows you more space by closing down the ball and they cannot predict what you will do next,yet the CPU in this game knows what your next move is and so you have nowhere to go accept outwide.

I am becoming bored with the single player, and I thought I would never say that:(

surely thats what makes it world class though? otherwise it just be amateur or semi pro.

[size=+1]Major skill problems getting on my tits:[/size]

Why, oh why, oh why do the left footed players perform the skills (the main one I'm thinking of is the flip-flap) with their right foot!? EA have had a massive problem with left footed players. I remember a couple of versions ago, Iker Casillas would take goal kicks with his right foot.

Also, why the fuck can Van Persie perform a flip-flap (with his right foot, of course) yet Ronaldo (the fat Brazilian one) cannot!? His dribbling is higher than Van Persie's, so does agility come into the equation?

you need to get out more mate ;)

I'm getting the hang of it. Yesterday I was frustrated!!! I couldn't do anything on semi-pro, moved to amatauer. Beat Spurs 4-0, then play Aston Villa and draw 1-1 lol!

And got so angry, and left it to play Gears of War!!!

So started again today on semi-pro, and finally getting the hang of it. I can finally win some games, and score a lot of goals :)
Hope it stays like that.

you need to get out more mate ;)

you're probably right, but it's a fair question.

I've not really played FIFA08 extensively yet (I'm just not that gripped by it), but amongst the various annoyances, I've noticed that the cpu teams never, ever send their full backs forward to join any attack. In every match I've played (probably around 20), every single team, from Premier League to League 2, stick rigidly to a perfect back 4 for the entire duration of every match, no matter what. It's getting really tiresome as it kills any illusion of reality.

Has anyone ever seem a cpu team break ranks and send any of their full-backs for a little run forward? Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe there's something I can do to encourage them to cross the half-way line? Even when I was winning one match 9-0, they stuck loyally to their out-and-out defensive duties.

I've not really played FIFA08 extensively yet (I'm just not that gripped by it), but amongst the various annoyances, I've noticed that the cpu teams never, ever send their full backs forward to join any attack. In every match I've played (probably around 20), every single team, from Premier League to League 2, stick rigidly to a perfect back 4 for the entire duration of every match, no matter what. It's getting really tiresome as it kills any illusion of reality.

Has anyone ever seem a cpu team break ranks and send any of their full-backs for a little run forward? Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe there's something I can do to encourage them to cross the half-way line? Even when I was winning one match 9-0, they stuck loyally to their out-and-out defensive duties.
to be honest mate, that is a trait of english football... :) fullbacks attack alot more in france and spain. try those teams

FIFA 08 has been out for less than a week for most here - do you really want a game that you're able to completely master in that amount of time?? (Or even be really good at?!).

If you truly don't enjoy playing it then simply yank it out of your console and sell it on Ebay or toss it on the coffee table as a coaster.
However if you're coming on here every half hour to post how frustrated you are cuz you can't dribble thru defenses or put the ball in the back of the net and are drawing/losing matches you feel you should be winning then stop and think about what you're really saying...

NO game is perfect (or probably ever will be) so what we're left with is that FIFA 08 is challenging to play for many different reasons - don't bother replying with a rant about responsiveness because that's part of the game like it or not (if you don't then as stated just get on with your life - shite happens, even in footy games!).
Isn't it infinitely better to have a game that you CAN'T dominate after less than a week?...that you CAN'T simply do what you want to do after less than a week?...that you CAN'T win the majority of your games at after less than a week?...rather than a title where you're playing accomplished football and banging in goals after less than a week?!

Anything worthwhile in life takes time and any acitivity requiring repetitive action (such as sport and yes, videogames!) demands practice, lots of it!...and again don't reply saying that the responsiveness or some other issue prevents you from being successful...IT'S PART OF THE GAME!! Find some way to overcome it or just don't play and spare us your whinging!! :|

Seriously tho, think about the first time and the first week you played PES or Winning Eleven...were you dominating that game after less than a week?? I think that many here are used to the familiarity and success enjoyed with past footy videogames and being thrown back to 'primary school' with FIFA 08 is a distressing endeavor.
No one is forcing you to play it so if you don't enjoy it then what's the point but if you do then give it a bit of time and practice and a different approach/strategy rather than just banging your head against the wall and then rushing to post how pissed you are here in the forum.
If the game was truly abysmal that would be one thing but many, many experienced gamers here like it immensely and I daresay that one of the reasons is that it is so very challenging and demands hard work and effort to reap success.

But in the end it's just a game after all and it will always be an imperfect one at that so why not just take it for what it is and have some fun with it or simply leave it be.

Anyway that's just my humble thoughts and that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:

We've been in touch with EA, apparently a patch is already in the works (a 360 one to fix the never-ending downloading of transfer updates bug, and a PS3 one to fix these crashes). We've sent them a big list of problems we have with the game, I hope they aren't the only two things that are looked at (even if they are the most important fixes)...

Please tell them to get rid of "Game Over" when sacked in Manager mode :(

I remember when I first got my PS2 with PES3, and finding 2* hard lol! I used to play ML with those fake players, Ximinez and co. lol!

And the steep learning curve, when I finally mastered 5*. It took me a very long time, spending most time on 2* to get to grips with the gameplay and pace.

Back
Top Bottom