FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

There are Achievements in FIFA too, not just the 360 Achievements either, which can earn you points to buy third kits and balls :)

A lot of people are still learning the game, I can notice that online, I already feel the difference between me and noobs. :)

For instance, usually everybody takes goal kicks just like pes, they just press pass to the nearest player. That is easy to intercept. Most guys I play online haven't figured out that you can pass to who you're pointing to, they just do it the PES way, pressing pass.

Had another great online game, I really piss people off with Ronaldo, they start slide tackling me all over the place... :D

After watching Match Of The Day and playing FIFA 08 I love it even more. The response time is annoying, and honest to God I'm sick of saying every single fucking time (with BOTH games) "maybe next year". But I've adapted to it now and I love it, I really do. I watched each game and thought, "wow they do actually make mistakes in real life like in FIFA" (for some reason I get the feeling when playing FIFA that real footballers don't make mistakes), "wow the goalkeepers do make serious fuck-ups in real life", "wow there are really bad tackles in real life"... I'm made up with how realistic the game is.

My biggest problems are with off-the-pitch things, such as not being able to select the option to play each team twice in the online leagues mode. What is the fucking point in that...

After watching Match Of The Day and playing FIFA 08 I love it even more. The response time is annoying, and honest to God I'm sick of saying every single fucking time (with BOTH games) "maybe next year". But I've adapted to it now and I love it, I really do. I watched each game and thought, "wow they do actually make mistakes in real life like in FIFA" (for some reason I get the feeling when playing FIFA that real footballers don't make mistakes), "wow the goalkeepers do make serious fuck-ups in real life", "wow there are really bad tackles in real life"... I'm made up with how realistic the game is.

My biggest problems are with off-the-pitch things, such as not being able to select the option to play each team twice in the online leagues mode. What is the fucking point in that...

What's troubling me is that the defences dont seem to split like in real life and the attackers only seem to run in straight lines forwards rather than in between the lines - does this honestly change with time?

Jack, I'm gonna try and get my hands on the PS3 version tomorrow. A store in a mall near me has the game on a PS3 demo pod, so I'll try to figure out if there are differences in response times or not.

Given that I tend to play a dribbling style of football, you can bet I'll notice any existent difference between the two versions.

It does seem quite frustrating at times that you're strikers don't seem to make proper runs. I keep feeling like all my attacks are the same. Pass to the wings, cross, header. Or pass forward, turn away from defender, shoot from distance.

Know what Jack, that is exactly what I thought today watching Man City v Newcastle live.

I purposely watched the game with FIFA in mind (though after putting in so many hours already, its ingrained in my eyes!).

FIFA 08 is the CLOSEST game to football we have ever had. Watching the City game, the players react just as they do in the game. Like most people now, I was getting a little peeved at the response times, but real life is like that - most players get the ball, take a second to adjust and then move on.

Also skill moves - I was getting f**ked off not being able to do them - then I read in the manual that skills can only be done standing or jogging (I always try when sprinting!) - anyway, again watching the match live, players 99% of the time only try skills when they are holding the ball up waiting for support - I do that now and it feels much better.

Only really Ronaldo can do all the fancy tricks at full speed - or at least, only he tries!

And for the people moaning about the response times when receiving the ball - hold down L1 when getting the ball - this controls it and spins your player the right way - I can get instant control. Other times I use the right stick to push it away from me.

Honestly guys, the level of control in this game is what makes it. I echo a point a few pages back - FIFA is definately aimed at the mature market I think. Us people who want an ultra-realistic sim (along with all the faults of real life matches) - and in depth controls. My big fear is new/younger users picking this game up and reporting it is 'shit' because they cannot control it properly.

If this happens alot, I fear EA regressing back to an arcade slam-fest :(

watch the gametrailers review. you can see a penalty without that stupid delay ;)

-------------------------

Offtopic

Pes 2008 has some amazing faces but I tought this one was so cool that I had to post it :lol:

1191058355014.jpg

The Moustache Twins in the background? :lmao: SHOCKING Konami, SHOCKING!!!! :lol:
Anyway, back to FIFA, we got together yesterday and played the game non stop for hours. We had two 360s but we couldn't find a system-link option. Strange :-k
Anyway, I just wanted to say the I don't mind the response times. I think it's more realistic than ProEvo in that aspect. It's just getting used to the new timing.
This is the best game I've ever played. Not just the best "soccer" game.

Hey guys, we're still missing one player in our 360 trial mini league. Anybody want in?

Does anyone fancy doing a mini-league before the proper (which will be when the American lads get theirs)?

I've set up a mini-league (only 16 places so hurry if you're interested), just so we can get the hang of things. No pissing about, select whatever team you want. I've chosen Man City (was going to choose Liverpool but I know a few Liverpool fans who will want their team).

Name: EvoWebMiniLeague
Abbr: EWML
Password: tranmere

Wheyyyyyyy! Finally got the game, and finally got to play it :D

Went to GAME at about half 2 ish or something, had to leave for a meal at about 4 haha, got back quater to made it in time, didnt have a chance to play it, got back 11 ish, and have had 4 games.

Put it on LEGENDARY straight away, and opted for Barcelona (Me) vs Real Madrid (Comp), I was so pissed off after the 3rd game but the 4th was good.

Barca 2 - 2 Real (Real win on penalties, cant dive properly)
Barca 1 - 1 Real (Draw)
Barca 1 - 1 Real (Draw)
Barca 1 - 0 Real (The Legend)

I personally believe I should of won them all, especially the first, I scored then the computer HAD to score, and scored a stupid goal, magically controlled the ball, shot all out of proportion and scored, and then I scored again and then they scored in similar fashion, my defence just jogged for the ball including the player I was 'controlling' and the the 2nd 1 - 1 was similar the 3rd was the worst, I scored in the 87th minute, Henry header, then they scored on 90 my defence stood still :S

Meh arewell I got the achievement after my fourth game so far so good, although the refs are crap, you can get absolutely crunched and nothing, milked the computer by a nice turn with Henry, he slid missed the ball, henry goes down, nothing :S

Right now thats done, time to play career, be a pro, and online :D

Ok just got fifa2008 on ps3.

For some reason I dont feel the diffrence between players.
For example Carrick and C. Ronaldo seem the same to me. Except speed of course.

I think ea worked hard on that game and they did improve.

However,

How can I pass through opponents? It seems impossible to dribble through defenders in this game. Do I have to do a trick move thingy to pass through the defence? Even with Ronaldo I it seems impossible. Help me please.

This is my only complaint about the game and the shooting is still not as good as pes but good enough to enjoy.

Tried it online hoping it would be a bit easier.. it's not.
Can't even get in the box nevermind get a chance to shoot, one person I played only took long shots then he disconnected.

Last edited:

Holy shit, just had the biggest lag ever on an online match with some guy from sweden, wtf, aren't they supposed to have great internet acess there? :)

Anyway, I tried something different: playing with the Dynamic camera. It felt great, it was easier for me to go on one x one duels against my opponent, at least for the first few minutes before the lag kicked in.

It ended 0-0. Shots: 17(me)-6. Couldn't believe it. Won it on penalties.

Does everyone know that you move the GK with the right stick? ;)

What is with this online squad update bollocks. It's asking me download it before every bloody online game.

And is there any way to use custom formations online?!? Thanks!!

There has been some great debates here. i want to knowlegably particpate but can't cuz the release date hasn't hit the states...:(

but i do want to say one thing.

if you keep looking for perfection or you keep trying to make something work that doesn't you do not enjoy whatver it is you have or are doing...

PES= Arcade
fifa 08 = sim.

the same way
NBA live 08 = arcade
NBA 2k8 = sim

like or hate them both thats what THEY ARE

Ok just got fifa2008 on ps3.

For some reason I dont feel the diffrence between players.
For example Carrick and C. Ronaldo seem the same to me. Except speed of course.

I think ea worked hard on that game and they did improve.

However,

How can I pass through opponents? It seems impossible to dribble through defenders in this game. Do I have to do a trick move thingy to pass through the defence? Even with Ronaldo I it seems impossible. Help me please.

This is my only complaint about the game and the shooting is still not as good as pes but good enough to enjoy.

Cant anyone help me on the dribbeling issue plz?

Cant anyone help me on the dribbeling issue plz?

If you want to use tricks, you have to learn to use them, its that simple, you can't just do things so easily in this game, you have to earn your chances. Play the ball around a bit, use the L1/LB buttons to tell your player to make a run then lob it over the top or play a throughball.

And as for the shooting, as you fail to play the rest of the game well, maybe when you actually know how to shoot, you'll enjoy it more,.

on the gametrailers review the be a pro mode looks so smooth! Why is it so laggy (frames wise) on my 360! Help!

ddue wait for the 360 version, so we cna play :)

Nah mate, I am thinking on ordering PES62008 for my PS3. I need to play the final version myself to make a determination if it bullocks or not. Everyone is saying that it's improved, well I want to see for myself.

No footie games before christmas is nice to have.
;-)

Back
Top Bottom