FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

On the first day you see all the positives, on the second all the negatives. Hope it all evens out in the end.

I feel like I still have a long way to go before I feel like I master this game.

I have found with the last few fifa games that the first few days are all good then it sinks in.... it just doesnt feel right... :( looks like I might give 08 a miss... Dunno.... I want to get it... just feels like I'll be disappointed yet again...

I have read a few professional reviews now and no-one gushes about the game as much as some of the folk on here do.

On the first day you see all the positives, on the second all the negatives. Hope it all evens out in the end.

I feel like I still have a long way to go before I feel like I master this game.

The biggest problem for me is that playing online adds to button delay so its in some cases even less responsive than the demo i played.

There is alot of depth to the gameplay and a very steep learning curve, so i will pursue the learn, however if i play the next 30 games like i have the last 30 (6 minute halfs) i am going to end up feeling underwhelmed.

sorry but i was so excited by the demo and the vids and all the reports but its showing some fundamental flaws that are bringing down the enjoyment.

I have no response problems plaing online. its the same like offline with some lags from time to time. but I am not going to continue playing online because I am more a single experience player

Hmm, well, I just played a few online games:

Inter 2-1 BAYERN
Liverpool 0-3 VALENCIA

Got fucking robbed in that first game, but the second I was a different class, (and he was shite :lol:). What's more interesting is that I didn't get frustrated by the response times at all. I think I was playing a slightly different style, not about pace, but a calm collected built up playing style.

I think at the end of the day, we've got to remember that this is not PES and you won't be doing 4 passes and then having a shot on goal. And that's maybe why we are sometimes getting annoyed that the players are taking a bit longer to respond?

Just my thoughts :)

Hmm, well, I just played a few online games:

Inter 2-1 BAYERN
Liverpool 0-3 VALENCIA

Got fucking robbed in that first game, but the second I was a different class, (and he was shite :lol:). What's more interesting is that I didn't get frustrated by the response times at all. I think I was playing a slightly different style, not about pace, but a calm collected built up playing style.

I think at the end of the day, we've got to remember that this is not PES and you won't be doing 4 passes and then having a shot on goal. And that's maybe why we are sometimes getting annoyed that the players are taking a bit longer to respond?

Just my thoughts :)

Yeah I think you summed it up Tim.

Its just that the players do still seem to have that momentary stunned action when in tight area's meaning there is a split second when they do not respond to anything, and when you are in the middle of a goalmouth scramble, this can be a real head banger.

Its a great game for sure but its response times are way to unpredictable.

This isn't the issue for me. I love to play a slow build up passing game. It's not the speed of the game, it's the speed of the players' response to what you're asking them to do with the control pad.

If fifa can get this right we'll have the perfect football game. As it is, I'm still wrestling with the control pad every game.

A few people on here have said that the slower gameplay is more realistic, which I agree with - I played a match on PES 2005 earlier just to compare the 2 and I thought it was awful compared to fifa. Not just crap graphics but unrealistic aswell.

Fifa being slow gameplay is realistic, but fifa having slow response times is a different issue completely.

I think it's basically a choice between:

Fifa - more realistic gameplay, but frustrating response times
PES - unrealistic gameplay, but quicker response so less frustrating

I'm eagerly awaiting next year's fifa to see if they can improve the response times. If they can, I'll never play another game again!

PS I would have probably bought the full game anyway, but I'm still pissed off with the reviewers who said that the response times were twice as quick as the demo - that's completely misleading.

Last edited:

Can someone confirm something for me? I've had one or two emails today saying that response time in the PS3 version is better than on the 360 version. Now I've been told by Carl (who's played both) that it isn't, but the only reason I'm asking is because I've had a few people tell me this now, one of them a member of this forum who I greatly respect, and so I'm very curious.

The 360 is packing up again, I'm getting a fuzzy picture every tenth time I switch the 360 on, so perhaps I'll have to swap it for a PS3. ;)

Watching Man United right now. Response times of real life players are indeed a bit faster, but not far from FIFA08.

The good thing is EA can keep building on and improving this game engine. Its still a baby. Maybe the gameplay needs to be less "chained" to the animations...

Can someone confirm something for me? I've had one or two emails today saying that response time in the PS3 version is better than on the 360 version. Now I've been told by Carl (who's played both) that it isn't, but the only reason I'm asking is because I've had a few people tell me this now, one of them a member of this forum who I greatly respect, and so I'm very curious.

The 360 is packing up again, I'm getting a fuzzy picture every tenth time I switch the 360 on, so perhaps I'll have to swap it for a PS3. ;)

get a 120gb hdd elite JB...just got mine.. im in love with it...they say its alot more realible in terms of the 3rl problem(thats the new versions after may, as it has a new heatbridge in it).

P.s> i had a ps3, sold it, no live no fun.

I remember i had problems in pes5 with reaction times, being used to the superfast pes4. Once I understood the gme dynamics things changed a bit.

But lag, tireness and sometimes overused or cheap joypad all create a fair amount of troubles when it comes to reaction times. Not to mention i also reccomend to check your tv reaction times (under 10 ms would be good i guess but i ain't an expert on this issue.

But give the game a break for a couple of days. Even the best meal start being annoying if u eat it every day.

I had the same problem with a lower-league team. You have to invest in the "fitness" staff upgrade until it's at least 4/5. Which is ridiculous, I know, but at least you can fix it.

ah sorted thanks

pretty pointless that bit than really, why not just have good fitness coaches in the first place

The IGN guy was actually correct about the dates and final stadium. I just simmed a FA cup on tournament mode and the final was played on the 11th of September. If he was right about that then I presume he's right about the final not being at Wembley.

Played it 2 days solid now fellas and I have gotta say its a frustrating game to play.

the responce times is deffo an issue, no question. you need to be able to turn quicker than you can in this game.

its almost like you are in a far off control tower instructing the players what to do with little ear pieces. whereas with PES you ARE the player in possesion so it gives the game a more dynamic feel.

I like to think of my self as the type of player who passes it about, improvises and is creative. FIFA 08 will not let you do this atall.

you cannot stretch the defence or pull the defenders out of posotion no matter what you do. every defence is regimented meaning that you cannot create anything atall when in or around the box, this ruins the game completely for me. I have had a lot of joy with high passes but they are the worst thing in the game! so I refuse to use them because they look crap and you can never drop a ball infront of a player, it always goes straight to them.

I feel its like playing football in a straight jacket whereas PES (even 6 ) in an untamed beast. yes in the wrong hands it can turn into a run down the wings and cut back fest, yes its too fast and yes the shooting is crap......but in the right hands, with a more cultured player, some beautiful passing games can happen and an infinate differant types of chances can be created.

FIFA08 is gonna get boring fast. this is a sad fact. and I am not just winding people up because I was like you, exited at the prospect that fifa had raised the bar. but it has not! and I cant see me playing it after PES2008 comes out, which is a shame, because I paid nearly 50 fooking quid for it!

Oh and the skills are so friggin laboured it makes me wanna smash the pad. id rather just have less skills that can be pulled off instantly (with the right players) and when you try and do a certain skill you are sure that thats the skill you get, and not some useless semi-circle-reverse-heel-flick when all I wanted to do was a single stepover...

other than that the animations, graphics and commentary are class

The IGN guy was actually correct about the dates and final stadium. I just simmed a FA cup on tournament mode and the final was played on the 11th of September. If he was right about that then I presume he's right about the final not being at Wembley.

I think all is fine in manager mode though.

Played it 2 days solid now fellas and I have gotta say its a frustrating game to play.

the responce times is deffo an issue, no question. you need to be able to turn quicker than you can in this game.

its almost like you are in a far off control tower instructing the players what to do with little ear pieces. whereas with PES you ARE the player in possesion so it gives the game a more dynamic feel.

I like to think of my self as the type of player who passes it about, improvises and is creative. FIFA 08 will not let you do this atall.

you cannot stretch the defence or pull the defenders out of posotion no matter what you do. every defence is regimented meaning that you cannot create anything atall when in or around the box, this ruins the game completely for me. I have had a lot of joy with high passes but they are the worst thing in the game! so I refuse to use them because they look crap and you can never drop a ball infront of a player, it always goes straight to them.

I feel its like playing football in a straight jacket whereas PES (even 6 ) in an untamed beast. yes in the wrong hands it can turn into a run down the wings and cut back fest, yes its too fast and yes the shooting is crap......but in the right hands, with a more cultured player, some beautiful passing games can happen and an infinate differant types of chances can be created.

FIFA08 is gonna get boring fast. this is a sad fact. and I am not just winding people up because I was like you, exited at the prospect that fifa had raised the bar. but it has not! and I cant see me playing it after PES2008 comes out, which is a shame, because I paid nearly 50 fooking quid for it!

Oh and the skills are so friggin laboured it makes me wanna smash the pad. id rather just have less skills that can be pulled off instantly (with the right players) and when you try and do a certain skill you are sure that thats the skill you get, and not some useless semi-circle-reverse-heel-flick when all I wanted to do was a single stepover...

Conclusion: "if you don't like fifa don't play fifa"

Last edited:

When in tight positions, use the close control button. Use the run button very very sparingly. Use the right stick a lot. When receiving a ball, it is used to control where your first touch goes. Use it to create space for yourself. Also use it if you do get in behind...it's the only way to break free from the defence. But most of all.....keep the ball, even if you have to go back. The defenders will break position and make mistakes. Keeping the ball builds momentum and forces erros. You can create scoring opportunities, you just need to be patient. Remember and signal your teammates to make runs as well.

When in tight positions, use the close control button. Use the run button very very sparingly. Use the right stick a lot. When receiving a ball, it is used to control where your first touch goes. Use it to create space for yourself. Also use it if you do get in behind...it's the only way to break free from the defence. But most of all.....keep the ball, even if you have to go back. The defenders will break position and make mistakes. Keeping the ball builds momentum and forces erros. You can create scoring opportunities, you just need to be patient. Remember and signal your teammates to make runs as well.

Thanks for the advice mate. Gonna have another good go tonight. to be honest though I always keep the use of the run button to a minimum. and I find sometimes with the right stick the opposition player beates me to the ball like he has read my mind and knows where I am gonna knock it.

I'd have to strongly disagree on a number of points. I can play FAR more fluid, passing football on FIFA 08 than any other football game.

I can hit balls into space using ground passes, as well as lob passes. Are you sure you're not using assisted passing because it sounds like you are.

Also it's not too hard to stretch the defence, you need to pass it about. And seeing as you're saying you don't think the game lets you pass it about (which it clearly does), this explains why you can't move their defence :)

Well I thought I was gonna like it after all the hype it got, so I bought it.

And now I am posting my view on why I dont like it. thats what these boards are for mate.

You've got to give it time tho mate - more than a couple days especially if you're used to playing PES.
To play for a few hours and race to the keyboard to knock out a post on why you don't like it really doesn't help solve anything - just breeds panic and in-fighting. Post the same opinion after a week or so of steady play and then people might give it more merit.
Anyway just my opinion - it took me almost two weeks to fully learn to play the first PES title I got properly and I believe it's gonna take at least that long with FIFA 08.

Last edited:

I'd have to strongly disagree on a number of points. I can play FAR more fluid, passing football on FIFA 08 than any other football game.

I can hit balls into space using ground passes, as well as lob passes. Are you sure you're not using assisted passing because it sounds like you are.

Also it's not too hard to stretch the defence, you need to pass it about. And seeing as you're saying you don't think the game lets you pass it about (which it clearly does), this explains why you can't move their defence :)

I DID NOT say the game wont let you pass it. you can pass the ball all day from one side to another, fowards backwards BUT when you get in and around the box the opposition defence is always the like an Iron curtain or a great wall!

I use semi- assisted for passing/ long passing and shooting. use assisted for throughballs because you have to press it longer to hit it harder sometimes the chance has gone by that time.

And can you really hit the ball into space,such as over the fullbacks head onto the path of a winger, using the long pass? or are you telling a little fib? its irrevlevant anyway because even the most die-hard FIFA fan must admit that the long passes are awful

You've got to give it time tho mate - more than a couple days especially if you're used to playing PES.
To play for a few hours and race to the keyboard to knock out a post on why you don't like it really doesn't help solve anything - just breeds panic and in-fighting. Post the same opinion after a week or so of steady play and then people might give it more merit.
Anyway just my opinion - it took me almost two weeks to fully learn to play the first PES title I got properly and I believe it's gonna take at least that long with FIFA 08.

Thats a fantastic point Bobo21. and one i will accept. Every year when a new PES comes out everyone slags it off, every year! but when the next version comesout everyone misses the last one!

its just that I am finding the gameplay so restrictive so far and I cant seehow it will 'open up' for me.

Ill give it more time, coralate my findings, but it through the super computer and get back to you with a more measured report in a few weeks time.

( the file will be on your desk before PES2008 is out)

I DID NOT say the game wont let you pass it. you can pass the ball all day from one side to another, fowards backwards BUT when you get in and around the box the opposition defence is always the like an Iron curtain or a great wall!

I use semi- assisted for passing/ long passing and shooting. use assisted for throughballs because you have to press it longer to hit it harder sometimes the chance has gone by that time.

And can you really hit the ball into space,such as over the fullbacks head onto the path of a winger, using the long pass? or are you telling a little fib? its irrevlevant anyway because even the most die-hard FIFA fan must admit that the long passes are awful

You can hit long balls into space with lob passes set to manual. However I am still playing the demo.

Must say I'm noticing the reaction times more and more as I play it. Sometimes it can be quite ridiculous trying to cross a ball from the wing only for your player to take loads more steps before crossing.

Also, playing on anything apart from SAASA controls definately seems to lack response. As soon as I changed to SAASA controls, the control of the players improved a lot more. Not liking how the ball can sometimes go through defenders though. The faults are starting to show :(

Back
Top Bottom