FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Is White Hart Lane on the 360/PS3 versions? Someone tells me its on the PSP version and I'd not heard it mentioned anywhere

Ok some if not most of you wont care about this question be here goes.

How many Asian national teams are in the game and who are they.

Last edited:

The problem with most folks here who 'crossover' to FIFA is that we have all been so used to playing WE/PES for years that the control/response/reaction of that game has become almost instinctively ingrained in us both mentally and physically. We are all so used to the familiar, comfortable movements of our fingers and split second decisions in our heads that go along with playing PES that of course any differing control scheme/player reaction time transition is going to be frustrating and quite possibly almost painful.
EA's approach to the game for '08 obviously is quite different than Konami in that they have tried to recreate the actual pace and rhythm of real life football and adjusting from the frenetic, barely catch your breath action of PES is going to be a shock (and quite a negative one at that) for many players. In real life it can take players a second or two to react and move (unlike Konami robots) and EA has made that part of the game.
In my view it's like this - if you want to kickback with your feet up and enjoy the easy, familiar controls and non-stop end to end action in a footy GAME that you've been used to for years with PES then stick with that - however if you're looking for a footy SIMULATION where the pace is much slower and can get bogged down at times (as in real life) and as you say takes hard work and battling thru frustration (as in real life) just to stay on the ball and try to carve out scoring chances then FIFA is for you.
Footy is not an easy game and neither is FIFA 08, simple as that. ;)

amem!
;)

Eh?? In current-gen you could change jobs when you were sacked!!
I know. I was just getting into things and starting to turn the results around and the chairman sacked me. I was hoping I could pick another League 1 team to take over but apparently not. :(

I'll start again as Celtic or something. :)

Honestly I see things in a different way: i think he is an old member that just created a new account to talk rubbish about fifa because he is a fanboy. But i might just be mistaken and paranoyd. My fault sorry.

If you think he's a fanboy, I'd hate to see what you think of people who actually dislike the game.

Anyone 'get' the Interactive Leagues?

Its not that complicated, but it isn't explained well:

In the Interactive Leagues you can pick any team to 'support', as a supporter you can:

1. Play matches against your team's fixture
2. Play matches against your rivals, as their week's fixture (ie, if Chelsea were playing Aston Villa, and I was 'supporting' Arsenal, I could play as Aston Villa against Chelsea

All the matches between the teams are collated, and the team with the most wins for that fixture between everyone: Gets the three points.

Similar amounts of wins will render a draw (Not sure what the exact numbers are, but draws can happen so I'm fairly sure you need say, at least 20% more wins to get 3 points)

when I have a free-kick. how do I choose another player? and how do I free-kicks with two players?

So if I choose Arsenal, and their fixture is against West Ham, how do I set up that fixture against an opponent?

Or is it just complete luck that someone will pick West Ham when I'm Arsenal?

Anyone play the PS2 version yet?
According to IGN and PSM3 it's superior to the next-gen versions!?
Just as I was set to get it on PS3 as well...

Bear in mind IGN said all the cup dates are wrong in FIFA 08 next-gen and they're not, so I doubt they've actually played any FIFA game this year.

The current gen versions are (still) crap looking at the PC demo. Haven't played the full versions but I sincerely doubt they'll be any different. I can't understand how people can say the current-gen version is anywhere NEAR as good as next-gen... But a few people do. I think it's just the fact that shooting is easier, but the physics are disgraceful. The ball is coated in honey, it will be going really fast and then stop dead on the sideline.

Play the PC version - which is the same as the PS2 version - and come back and tell me that IGN And PSM3 aren't retards.

Ok, cool.
I 'll have to play both versions to decide.

The problem with most folks here who 'crossover' to FIFA is that we have all been so used to playing WE/PES for years that the control/response/reaction of that game has become almost instinctively ingrained in us both mentally and physically. We are all so used to the familiar, comfortable movements of our fingers and split second decisions in our heads that go along with playing PES that of course any differing control scheme/player reaction time transition is going to be frustrating and quite possibly almost painful.
EA's approach to the game for '08 obviously is quite different than Konami in that they have tried to recreate the actual pace and rhythm of real life football and adjusting from the frenetic, barely catch your breath action of PES is going to be a shock (and quite a negative one at that) for many players. In real life it can take players a second or two to react and move (unlike Konami robots) and EA has made that part of the game.
In my view it's like this - if you want to kickback with your feet up and enjoy the easy, familiar controls and non-stop end to end action in a footy game that you've been used to for years with PES then stick with that - however if you're looking for a footy SIMULATION where the pace is much slower and can get bogged down at times (as in real life) and as you say takes hard work and battling thru frustration (as in real life) just to stay on the ball and try to carve out scoring chances then FIFA is for you.
Footy is not an easy game and neither is FIFA 08, simple as that. ;)

well bro - i bought ps3 fifa08 - i like fifa, but gamers are normally not looking for simulation but nice action games.... pes is better

^^Yeah, but keep in mind a lot of us who buy football games either play football ourselves or are big fans of the sport.

For casual gamers who are just interested in a footy game (sort of like me with basketball or american football games), PES would probably suit them better as it's easier to just get in to and start scoring goals. For those of us who play and love the game in real life, Fifa is the clear choice really.

Holy shit this game is feckin hard.

I have played around 5 games on world class and its so difficult to create anything.Lost 4-0 playing as chelsea at home to grimsby:shock:

I have taken a step back to Professional and I will stay here for a season as I start in DIV2 but its still amazingly realstic as far as simulation goes and to see some of the physics and animation is still a sight to behold.

Patience is the big one on this game and the more I play and try to get rid of the response and precision of passing from PES then the better I will be.

I think someone summed it up when they said PES is about passing to the player, FIFA is about passing into space trying to predict your players runs and its this sort of undoing of my mentality that I am finding hard.

Press the button and it goes straight to your player in PES but you have to get the timing, balance and precision spot on in FIFA and this is proving difficult considering I have played PES for the last 7 years.

But I love it, the best feeling I have had for a footy game since PES3 and I know with lots of practice and dedication I know I can master it in the long term.

Brilliant but feckin hard, what a great mix.

well bro - i bought ps3 fifa08 - i like fifa, but gamers are normally not looking for simulation but nice action games.... pes is better

As I said - and let me repeat loud and clear - if you just want a nice action game then absolutely without a doubt PES is the better choice. If you are looking for a football simulation then FIFA is definitely the superior game.
And as far as your assumption that gamers are normally not looking for simulation, well I think you're preaching in the wrong forum because based on what I've read here for the past few years, I believe it's fairly safe to say that the majority of the gamers here are looking for exactly that (simulation!) in a footy game.

Last edited:

Oh my god, the free kicks annoy me. I can't make a single foul within 30 meters from my own goal, without Alex or Renato or someone curling the ball into the net. Does anyone know if it's possible for EA to create a patch to fix this?

It's possible but I don't think they will. They've already said they won't release patches for it, they'd rather have everyone work on 09. I suppose if it's a big enough issue and enough people complain they might fix it.

Really hope so, because this is enough to ruin the game for me. Can't believe they couldn't fix a simple thing like this.

I can sympathise with the people who don't like it because of the response times. I feel like PES2008 would only be playable if they slowed it down by 20%, and until then I couldn't play it, regardless of what else is added to the game. If I couldn't get over the response times in FIFA then there's nothing anyone could tell me about how much of a simulation it is that would make me enjoy it.

PES2008 is an arcade fest. it's laughable
i watched a video of it recently from what was to be a final build and the movement/animations are so stiff and uneventful. these things worked for the ps2 but the transition is so stale it's not funny

Back
Top Bottom