FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Argh! it's a shame you can't edit the player faces :( because I created some pretty nice looking Ajax players as New players.. Why EA!?

Woooop it's Friday! I am gonna have some Nutella on toast, orange juice and a strong coffee then get showered and dressed and hit the town. Home - GAME - FIFA 08 & SKATE - Home. :)

I dont think it will help. I have the same issue with my swedish edition of the game. It does not include english commentary, only swedish, spanish and dutch. I contacted the store I bought the game from and they had spoken to EA about this. EA explained that english commentary will only be included in the games sold in english speaking countries. Or in countries that don't have their own commentary language included in the game. So I'm sending my game back and will get my money back aswell. Just ordered the english version from game.co.uk.

That sucks. In norway I got a version with norwegian manual and english commentary. But after 5 minutes I found out the commentary sucked big time, so I muted it. It was just horrible to listen to, and full of mistakes all the time. I scored a goal where the ball touched the keeper on its way in. Commentary: "Its a shot, but the keeper blocked it." A few seconds of celebration, and suddenly "its a goal!" Pure horror! Boo!

Has anyone managed to get an online game by selection 'custum ranked or unranked match'? I am playing on psn and when i go to custum match (while setting everyting on 'any') i directly get the message: 'there are no current games to meet your criteria'.

I can only get 'quick matches' or lobby matches.

Does anyone know what time Gamestation opens in UK? I need this game!

Well I got my copy yesterday and played it pretty much al day yesterday.

I got the PS3 version.

First up in my opinion the retail version even better than the demo. Game plays very smoothly and it looks tremendous.

Graphics:
As ever FIFA 08 looks excellent, the stadiums and player models look very realistic. Samba is a giant while Tevez is small. Player faces though are shocking, some look good but the vast majority look horrendous. I guess that is something for next year.

Sound:
Guys, the sound in this game is amazing. Each team has three chants, for Rovers it is (Mark Hughes Blue and White Army, Barmy Army and for some bizarre reason Bentley for England!!), the crowd noises are very realistic and the whole atmosphere is superb. Also the commentry from Tyler and Gray is much much better than last year, it has much more variety and also individual comments on players (ie "Savage is very competitive but not popular with opposition fans")

Gameplay:
The most important aspect of any football game. Unlike previous versions the gameplay on FIFA 08 rocks (in my opinion). No longer is it easy to score, you've got to build up play, be patient and craft out chances, the games pace is excellent and the mechnics such as shooting, passing and heading work very well. Also great players like Messi, Kaka, Henry and Ronaldo are now noticeably better than other players (just like in real life). I also noticed the when you play as lower league teams (Leeds v Notts Forest) the game is a bit more open.

I also love the "Be A Pro" mode. Basically you take control of one player. I though it would just be "fad" mode but I played it last night and loved it. The camera angle works very well and it really ask you lots of question like, when to make runs, positioning and also saving stamina, the best thing is that the AI players are also excellent so it really feels like you are part of a team. I played as Ronaldo, Torres and Savage and each time the experience was different. This is going to be huge, just a pity that you can only play this mode as a friendly but I can see the huge potential of this mode for future versions.

Overall:
I am very impressed with FIFA 08. Have hated pretty much every FIFA up until this one. I liked the demo and love the final version of the game. It looks good, sounds superb and plays very well. Like every game it is slight niggles but nothing alarming. Online works very well, I exprienced no lag and had some superb games with a couple of friends who have the game, the ability to set up online leagues is going to be very popular. The "Be a Pro" mode is also superb, although disappointing it is only available in friendlies.

Final Mark: 8/10

Does anyone know what time Gamestation opens in UK? I need this game!

I'm going now to one next to my house - its inside a blockbuster store. I will let you know when I come back.

edit: The one near me opens at 10am - The BASTARDS!!! I just want to play the game!!

Last edited:

I got my copy in the post yesterday :)

As a long term PES and Playstation player (i got it for 360), i have to say i'm reasonably impressed. Of course, i'm a) trying to get used to the 360 controller and b) trying to familiarise myself with FIFA controls.

What i like is the ability to pass the ball where you want (with the assist off). It's very tricky at first, but boy is it great when you pull it off. It only highlights the assisted passing in PES.

The commentary is absolutely brilliant. Very natural delivery and good balance between the two guys.

I scored a lovely goal last night, a finesse shot from Arnaud of Kansas City Wizards (Go Wizards). Edge of the box, left of centre - finesse shot, curled into the top right corner. So sweet looking and satisfying.

My only problem at this point is the slight feel of a delay, but in time i'll get used to it and incorporate it into my play i guess.

Last edited:

Ok chaps

received my copy last night at 12:15, whent home and played two games before bed time.

I put the game onto World Class and played as Notts Forest (they have a 1.5 star rating:roll:) against Derby County.

The first thing I noticed was how much the graphics and general smoothness of the game had improved from the demo.The colours seemed more vibrant and the animation was far less "jerky" than I was used to.

I played at night and the lighting was spot on it gave a superb sort of damp atmosphere and the stadium was about 2/3rds full to reflect a friendly match.

The players seemed a bit slimmer and looked better than the demo (ebven in close ups).

Ok so I kicked off and immediately noticed how it was far more responsive, players were doing as they were asked (manual setting)in good time, it felt superb and the ball physics look real the way it spins alkong the floor and in the air.

The difference between the two sides was also realistically apparent with Derby having a better first touch and far more movement.I played well for 20 minutes without creating too much until I was hit on the break and bang 1-0 to the rams. 4 minutes later it was two, with some lovely passing around the box and a tidy 15 yard bottom corner strike to make it 2-0.

Derby scored again right on half time and thats how it ended 3-0 defeat, but I was overjoyed at how brilliantly this played, the realism was amazing and the atmosphere was fantastic.

The Nets.........wow the Nets this is a massive improvement, they look like they are from a different game, they move realistically, lots of movement and no more spasmodic flickering, the ball wizzess around the net and springs ouyt as it would at any pro ground.

I then played as Arsenal away at Acrington Stanley and the difference between the Forest players and the Arsenal players was night and day.I had more control, more movement and more confidence in putting 20 passes together.

Scored an absolute beauty from 25 yards (van Persie) and won 1-0, Acrington had a couple of chances but just could not score, its sooo realistic this game.

So I cant wait for the weekend to start manager mode, but its everything I wished for and more.

9/10 for me fella's and I have only scratched the surface:applause:

Im having trouble scoring on mine - but i appreciate that it makes the game more challenging, it will take me some time to adjust, the world class setting is 100% times harder than last year!!

I had a go on the online section last night as well, the game feels a lot better and a lot smoother.

Looking forward to giving Dr Force's Forest lads the run around ;)

What a game, finally got to play it around midnight last night, and was up til 2.30am! So addictive. Did a World Cup with England:

England 0-1 South Africa
England 1-2 Czech Republic
Austria 0-0 England

Gutted! First match was on World Class, then I dropped it down to Professional. Can't believe the Austria match, I was seriously all fucking over them. I had 15 shots, they had just 1!!! That's football :)

I love how you have to work for your goals, as has been mentioned. And also in normal play, you really have to think about what you're doing. Gone are the days where you can just launch a long ball forward and expect one of your players to be there for a header or knock down. Feels great keeping possession too and building up a good move.

I am playing the 360 version by the way, and thank the Lord, they HAVE indeed sorted the nets out! So realistic!

Time to play some more!

I'm going now to one next to my house - its inside a blockbuster store. I will let you know when I come back.

edit: The one near me opens at 10am - The BASTARDS!!! I just want to play the game!!

No worries mate, just came back from town. It opens at 9am here. Bought FIFA 08 and Skate!

It's certainly a passing game. If you're looking for a passing game with build up play, this is it.

Re: the nets/goals. I still think the posts are a bit too thick/big. But that's a minor thing.

Guys pleas help me on my questions

1: I have fifa08 since 2 days but because of the errors i had in the managermode i changed my original game for a new one yesterday,

and since then i always get the message before i challenge someone online that i have to download a updated roster what i already have done a tons of time.. it's getting verry anoying anyone similar with this problem?

2: How the hell is it possible to play more games with the same player without having to relog to the same room again and again and again..

that's sucks you can't even play more games against the same person (the should fix that) or you have to relog again on the lobby and find the player where you played with..

Pleas help me :p

3: The most annoying thing.. not even the possibility to play with you're friends from the buddylist? Why is that every game haves that option,

Last edited:

Argh! it's a shame you can't edit the player faces :( because I created some pretty nice looking Ajax players as New players.. Why EA!?

The edit mode is where FIFA needs to improve. Big time. You can customize how players' faces look, yet they all look remarkably similar once created (regardless of the size of the ears etc). This is where PES is miles ahead. If FIFA gave you control over all corners of the game: players, balls, pitches, teams (I still can't believe you cannot create a club), then it'd put another nail in the Pro Evolution coffin.

Got my copy yesterday and played till 3 this morning, got to admit I'm a Llllong time Pes player, putting in around 20-25 hours a week min on 4-5 hour stretches and I'm sure I play in my sleep too...

The first thing I found, apart from the crap manual, was as has been said the delay, and having to work around it. The game play is better than before but I've yet to see the kind of play worthy of the praise being lauded here, but again being a PES convert I can put this down to the difference in game styles and I'm in this for the long haul.
I have started a management game and played 6 games so far altering the assist settings and playing level to try and find some middle ground, I'm making button errors all the time as I'm going into Pes mode without thinking, and I'm really struggling to head the ball, the comp is winning every header in the box.... I hope this just requires practice on my part as I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Struggling to score, which is not a bad thing and I think I'll need to master the new pad layout before I can really grade this, though I have found the Auto save and the fact that if you switch it off, it still asks you time and time and time and time and time again if you want to save... Aaaarrrggghhh.. just a tad annoying. I'll have to see if I can turn it back on.. The menu system again is not the most user friendly and in some cases is over worked and badly laid out but, I'm sure again I'll learn to work with it... Overall, I'm not already reaching for the PS2 and Pro Evo, If my mate does not convince me otherwise.. (massive Pes fan) I'll stick with it.

I've tried to be objective in my post and as I say I'm a Pes convert, so don't flame me guys. I'm trying my damnedest to get into Fifa this year..

score ?/10 to be advised.

Are both PS3 and Xbox 360 version the same? (graphics, sounds, gameplay,)

Anyone got any tips for doing the skills? I'm holding down L2 and moving/rolling the right stick as per the manual, but nothing happens - if I'm lucky, I might be able to roll the ball left or right, but thats it.

Played a mate online last night and he was going trick crazy (with Tevez), looked really good at the right times.

Any tips? In the arena I can do most of the tricks, but in the match the response is much different...

I think we're in the same boat, Nick Cave. I have the same general sentiments (lapsing into PES mode etc - the shoot and cross buttons are reversed). I managed a header in the box though, so it's possible ;) The keepers are quite good mind.
One thing. Tele view is a tad too small for my liking, i wish i could zoom in a bit, but not to dynamic. Perhaps i should just sit closer...

OK just played a few matches. I have to say . . .

IT'S AMAZING. Played Man United v Liverpool and EVERYTHING looks and feels right. The passing makes me cream, the ball feels so realistic. The presentation and soundtracks are awesome, the commentary blows my mind. I don't get the delayed crowd reaction when a player scores like I have read in here - the ROAR as soon as the ball crashes against the back of the net. Players faces' close-up are still quite poor and the player's bodies are still too big close-up but whilst playing they look SPOT-ON. Ronaldo looks more realistic than the demo, he is tall, skinny and runs JUST LIKE THE REAL RONNY! I am playing on world class and it is very tough and hard to score (and I am playing as Man United) but maybe it's just me being crap.

It is blowing my mind, I love it.

I think we're in the same boat, Nick Cave. I have the same general sentiments (lapsing into PES mode etc - the shoot and cross buttons are reversed)

Guys, switch the control options to NEW ALTERNATIVE. Exactly same controls as PES then. :)

Anyone got any tips for doing the skills? I'm holding down L2 and moving/rolling the right stick as per the manual, but nothing happens - if I'm lucky, I might be able to roll the ball left or right, but thats it.

Played a mate online last night and he was going trick crazy (with Tevez), looked really good at the right times.

Any tips? In the arena I can do most of the tricks, but in the match the response is much different...
Dude do you also get plenty times request for downloading the updated roster before a online match? Since we have both the PS3 version of the game.

Back
Top Bottom