FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Well done Jack, superb review, well written and most importantly very balanced, you put the so called journalists to shame. Well done once again.

Anyone who wants to add me to thier friends list on the 360(I am a mature gamer)I play to enjoy with no cheating, so no laughing or piss taking over the mic

EDIT bollocks just seen the gamertags thread.

Derby vs Forest are you up for it?

I havnt seen Derby in a football game for years

Right, I've uploaded the two full matches, but Google Video has made the quality really poor compared to the original. Where can I upload two 640x480 videos, for free, that won't alter the resolution (and accepts files upto 300mb)?

In the meantime, here are the videos (I'll post the URLs on FIFA Soccer Blog once they're uploaded somewhere in 640x480).

WATCH THEM IN ORIGINAL SIZE! Otherwise they look utterly crap.

Liverpool v Everton
Tranmere v Leeds

Both games played on Legendary.

If you're ok with uploading to a site where we can download the actual file rather than stream the video

USAUpload.net

(up to 300MB)

Just watched the videos hoping to see the nets in action, but as the matches unfolded, it gradually dawned on me that this is Jack playing, so there wasn't much chance of seeing any goals being scored :lol:.

Yea I thought the exact same thing!!! :lol::lmao: Ah well, we'll just have to wait til Thursday/Friday to smash a few in the nets :)

Great stuff Jack, going to read the review now!

Christ, just watching the Liverpool v Everton game and like Jack earlier, I nearly shat myself when Martin Tyler shouts Fernando Torres at the end! :shock:

i love the laughing in the 2nd video

And i wasn't keen on the shout of Fernando Torres - seemed overly loud and didnt fit with what was happening on screen.

That's one area i think EA need to look at for next year - getting the vocal tones/volumes matching more so its not (Screaming) 'GERRARD' (Gerrard is tackled and the Df boots the ball away) 'a long pass out' ... 'short pass forward' 'gerrard' (gerrard takes a shot and its crap and goes miles wide) (screaming)GERRARD!!!!! (then suddenly the volume drops) '.. and it's a goal kick'

Last edited:

Very good review Jack, but what is the tik4 yes comment for? Did i ask a question? Anyway great news on the job offers in managermode, my accrington stanley career is going a bit pear shaped with the board already warning me. We've just barely reached september. It really is hard work in the lower leagues, although enjoyable. Ive got it on semi-pro but i can barely score and havent even won yet. 3 draws and 3 loses and already out of the cup!

Yea I thought the exact same thing!!! :lol::lmao: Ah well, we'll just have to wait til Thursday/Friday to smash a few in the nets :)

Great stuff Jack, going to read the review now!

LOL! very true indeed..

Jack, has the problem concerning the player selection locking by itself been resolved?

JACK FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

LOL, what a feisty Merseyside derby. Great atmopshere and no space at all. Constant pressing!

Jack what difficulty was that played on, you got dominated! :D

Last edited:

@ Winston,

You can play a longball game, but you would need to use a decent targetman. My players are shite so i cant really test it out, but even with a few longballs sent upfield i can win a couple and knock them on.

Woah after watching them 2 videos you can see how good the AI really is and the difference in style and play between the 2 looks massive

In the Prem game there pinging the balls about and running at players and in the lower league games there is slow passing and players making hardly any runs into space so your forced backwards

check at 8:44 in the prem video and check the run by AJ and the pass too him, nows thats good AI :)

Last edited:

And while we're talking about the negatives of the game, offline multiplayer modes, while great, lack something. I used to work in an office of fifty people, and most of us played with mates the exact same way. Rather than start a three or four team league, we would start a Premiership, each picking one team each (so for example, I pick Arsenal, they pick Liverpool and Tottenham). The rest of the teams would be allocated as CPU teams, but then, when it was time for one team to play (in this example, Arsenal v Bolton - a CPU team), I would control my team and the other players would control the CPU team. One against two - and the best thing about it was, instead of playing the same teams over and over, you would get to play a variety of teams. Unfortunately, for Xbox Live Achievement reasons, you can't do this in FIFA 08 on next-gen consoles (even though you can on current-gen consoles). I would love to see this fixed at some point (with an option to disregard achievements for the duration of the match), because it adds so much to the multiplayer experience.

Do we know if the PS3 version is like this?

severe lack of players, desperate times. Does anyone think someone will break release date? pes is usually a day earlier

not sure if this was posted but a list of all of the stadiums in kick off mode

San Siro
Signal Iduna Park
St James Park
Stade Gerlord
Stade Velodrome
Stadio Olympico
Stamford Bridge
Veltins Arena
Wembley Stadium
Allianz Arena
Anfield
Bay Arena
Camp Nou
Delle Alpi
Div One - Euro
Div One - UK
Div Two - Euro
Div Two - Uk
Emirates
Estado Azteca
Estadio Le Las Artes
Estadio Mestalla
Estadio Vicente Calderon
FIWC Stadium
HSH Nardbank Arena
Millenium Stadium
Old Trafford
Olympia Stadion
Pare Des Princes

check at 8:44 in the prem video and check the run by AJ and the pass too him, nows thats good AI :)

Ooh great spot! And yes, what a run that was, quality AI :) And the way that AJ didn't just have a shit shot and waste possession, he kept it and waited for support!

Bloody Brilliant Jack.

This game looks bloody brilliant.

I was loving the way AJ was moving out to the wing looking for the ball just like in real life.

And the way Pennant has all that sock tape around his socks.

@ Winston,

You can play a longball game, but you would need to use a decent targetman. My players are shite so i cant really test it out, but even with a few longballs sent upfield i can win a couple and knock them on.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to trying a style other than the pixel-perfect ground-passing of PES.

What are your observations on the effect of fatigue, both on your own players (as a team and as individuals) and the cpu teams? Do the cpu players show signs of tiring, becoming slower and more mistake-prone as fatigue sets in?

Do the cpu teams make plausible substitutions and tactical changes? Do they ever change formation during a match?

Do the cpu teams show any signs of urgency towards the end of a match if they're losing?

Can you definitely edit the player stats (eg. passing speed, running speed, shooting accuracy, etc)?

Have you found any definitive evidence that the European competitions are in the career mode?

Thanks!

I'm only 1 min into the Liverpool derby Jack posted, but how can people say the game is slow? This game is buzzing along quite realistically!

Loving the chants! RAFA! RAFAEL! Wow, very nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Right, I've uploaded the two full matches, but Google Video has made the quality really poor compared to the original. Where can I upload two 640x480 videos, for free, that won't alter the resolution (and accepts files upto 300mb)?

In the meantime, here are the videos (I'll post the URLs on FIFA Soccer Blog once they're uploaded somewhere in 640x480).

WATCH THEM IN ORIGINAL SIZE! Otherwise they look utterly crap.

Liverpool v Everton
Tranmere v Leeds

Both games played on Legendary.

I liked the 2nd game more. Funny rumble that at the end hahah

After watching Jack play in the derby, I think its only right for me to say....

Bagsie playing jack first game of the league :D

The Tranmere match I'm nowhere near as impressed with. The Leeds strikers were crap with the ball, they got the ball and just seemed to run anywhere with the ball, even running out of play. Near the start, one of the strikers gets the ball in the box, has a great chance to shoot but decides to walk to the left touchline instead, and then plays a two yard pass? Odd.

Funny watching Jack play, already seeing people having a different playing style :) I seem to play a lot more balls into space, a lot of chipped balls into the corners etc, whereas Jack likes to play to feet with through-balls down the wings :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Two problems:

1. Leeds kits are last seasons with RedKite pasted on them.

2. Space behind the goal and adboards at Anfield is far too far away.

I really cant criticize the game anymore....its perfect for me :) Cant wait now.

The Tranmere match I'm nowhere near as impressed with. The Leeds strikers were crap with the ball, they got the ball and just seemed to run anywhere with the ball, even running out of play. Near the start, one of the strikers gets the ball in the box, has a great chance to shoot but decides to walk to the left touchline instead, and then plays a two yard pass? Odd.

Funny watching Jack play, already seeing people having a different playing style :) I seem to play a lot more balls into space, a lot of chipped balls into the corners etc, whereas Jack likes to play to feet with through-balls down the wings :)

You've obviously never watched league one football! :D

Back
Top Bottom