FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Holy shite :shock: I didn't think it could look any better :mryellow:

And great news that it's confirmed the nets are fixed! Does anyone have or can FSB release a new video for us to watch and pass the time? :)

If the 360's native resolution is 720p how can upscaling to 1080i make it look better?

i am confused

Forgot to post these the other day, evoweb was down...

Few videos of me guys: -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6Six6ocbK68 - Figo goal, takes a wicked deflection into the bottom corner

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzdibkjybA - Ronaldinho severeal kickups. Hard to keep them going over your head. I was trying to pull the little flicks off but theyre hard to do

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yiY9KVD8eBk - Nice knock on and strike off the post from Ronaldinho. Imagine knocking it round your man in a match. I did this with the pass button then shooting.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U_A5x-p4HCU - Ronaldinho round the world an flip flap

Here you go guys, the vid that to me represents what pes now is:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ9LKMoc3_c

I saw the "goal" and it just looked off to me so i gave it a close look in the replay. Guess i was right. Also scored a beauty with Alonso earlier, and it had the same problem. The player didnt even connect with the ball. I wont bother post my complete impression as its nearly identical to Jack. Which surprised me as I always thought he goes a bit overboard, both positive and negative. This time he's spot on!

It's really weird because PES4 and PES5 used to be alot better than this in terms of physics ,99% of the time you'd see the foot making contact with the ball .

I was playing a mate yesterday and had a shot which was going wide but took a deflection and looped up in the air and the goalie had to scramble back to tip it over

it looked awesome, the deflections in this game are brilliant because they go absolutely anywhere as they should

Great update on the blog but what about the PS3 version?

Everyone keeps talking about 360 version.

How different are they?

nice one jack, good job all round.
you haven't forgotton about my overhead kick question have you? ;)
Oh crap. Sorry, I did, but I've just asked on the phone and Carl hasn't seen one yet.

Although there seems to be one discrepancy, or maybe not;
Sorry, I put "Wednesday nights" when I should have put "Wednesdays". We've seen two Wednesday games so far and they've both been in the daytime.

Jack Bauer, would it be ok if you posted the top four Serie A teams (Roma, Milan, Inter and Juve) stats. I would be very grateful :) Can't wait until Fifa comes out

I was playing a mate yesterday and had a shot which was going wide but took a deflection and looped up in the air and the goalie had to scramble back to tip it over

it looked awesome, the deflections in this game are brilliant because they go absolutely anywhere as they should

yer that is quality.

and also how awesome is it multiplayer, changes the game so much

love it!

fifa convert FTW

I have done an over head kick in the demo so its gonna be in the full game....

It's really weird because PES4 and PES5 used to be alot better than this in terms of physics ,99% of the time you'd see the foot making contact with the ball .

I dont know if its the extra detail in the 360 graphics/HD tv but the game just looks off to me. Games always have these types of oddities but normally you dont "notice" them from normal play. Usually if you start nitpicking in replays youll always find elements that are "off". But this i just noticed while playing. But evenso, its not an important issue, especially not when the game has so many other issues it needs to fix. I wont even bother get pes on sale/reduced this year.

@ Jack, that is a bit odd that the wed games arent automattically night. One of the things that annoyed me about 07 was the fact that the time of day for matches in managermode was connected to the last day/night setting you had used in the friendlies. So if i played a nighttime friendly match and then continued the mm all the games would be nighttime. And visa versa. Maybe you could test it out that way. Would be a shame to only have daytime matches, especially euro matches.

Last edited:

Surely 1080 is better than 720?

1080i is a higher resolution than 720p. But because 1080i is interlaced and 720p is progressive, the 1080i refreshes the pixel lines as even numbers, then refreshes the odd numbers a split second later. So 720p and 1080i look EXACTLY the same.

I choose 720p over 1080i because it runs smoother.

1080p pisses on both of these anyway.

Great update on the blog but what about the PS3 version?

Everyone keeps talking about 360 version.

How different are they?
Something interesting... On the PS3 box it says "upto 720p" and on the Xbox 360 box it says "upto 1080p". I'm not up on this resolutions stuff so I don't know if that's a big difference or whether it's upscaled anyway.

Apart from that they are identical, replays have been fixed and are smooth in both versions, and everything is the same. Carl finds it easier to do tricks with a 360 pad but that is personal preference, I'm sure.

Jack Bauer, would it be ok if you posted the top four Serie A teams (Roma, Milan, Inter and Juve) stats. I would be very grateful :) Can't wait until Fifa comes out
All I can say is, stay tuned. ;)

So Jack confirms that as far as the guy who has the promo can see there is no appearance editor at all in next gen Fifa, that's majorly fucking shit news, so the EA rep at GCA lied to me, I specifically asked him if we could edit appearances in the 360 version (just to confirm the information we'd already received on the EA forums from EA reps) such as......

All versions

Will we be able to edit player’s faces and stats? Will there be a limit?
Yes, we have to set a limit for memory reasons.

http://www.fifa2008news.com/fifa-08-faq.htm#more-115

That's a clear yes you can edit player appearances, that's been in the EA FAQ for weeks, if it was wrong information why wasn't it fixed? EA Reps also confirmed in forum posts that appearances could be edited.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that two EA reps read my hands on where I say that appearances can be edited, if that was wrong information why didn't they correct me rather than thank me for my "excellent" post?

I'm pissed that the forums are down so I can't personally address this until I'm back from holiday next weekend, I hope that as soon as the forums are back up someone fronts EA about this because it's seriously fucked up.

Last edited:

When I spoke to Carl he mentioned the 360 box has 720p and 1080p on the back of the box but the PS3 only had 720p on the back. He was contacting them to see if this was an oversight with early packaging.

Edit Jack beat me to it.

Last edited:

Something interesting... On the PS3 box it says "upto 720p" and on the Xbox 360 box it says "upto 1080p". I'm not up on this resolutions stuff so I don't know if that's a big difference or whether it's upscaled anyway.

Apart from that they are identical, replays have been fixed and are smooth in both versions, and everything is the same. Carl finds it easier to do tricks with a 360 pad but that is personal preference, I'm sure.

All I can say is, stay tuned. ;)

Thank you so much mate. Truly appreciated. My tv is not 1080p anyway.

I will get both versions & take the one i prefer back. Glad to hear the are both identical.

Thanks again

@ Placebo,

Jack hasnt anwsered your comment yet though has he?

Come on Jack, can you edit the faces/bodies of generic players?

@ Placebo,

Jack hasnt anwsered your comment yet though has he?

Come on Jack, can you edit the faces/bodies of generic players?
I have answered it mate, see the FAQ on FSB.

I think EA have made an error in their FAQs, because they go onto say:

Is it possible to modify a players appearance, physique and boots?
We cannot modify a real player's face. You can modify his attributes, boots, and some apparel however.

When they say "real player" I think they're referring to every player in the game when you buy it, whereas if you create a player (e.g. yourself, not a "real player") then you can alter his appearance. Everything else in the statement appears true so I would assume they've just worded it badly.

You can edit the players, stats kit-style the lot, just not the appearance. So if any black Tranmere players are white in the game, like a few years ago on current-gen, I will be really upset...

Last edited:

That's not what they implied or said on their forums, not what I was told at GCA, and if the information I posted in my hands on was wrong the EA reps who PM'd me to congratulate and thank me for my post should have corrected me rather than making a fucking liar out of me :(

1080i is a higher resolution than 720p. But because 1080i is interlaced and 720p is progressive, the 1080i refreshes the pixel lines as even numbers, then refreshes the odd numbers a split second later. So 720p and 1080i look EXACTLY the same.

But the 360's resolution is 720p so surely its pixel perfect if you choose 720p on your TV

i am more confused now :)

Updated the blog with the EVO-WEB INSPIRED FAQ. :mryellow: Sorry about the delay, we had a few extra questions at the end.

If your question isn't there I apologise but we answered everything we could. Back to our lives now, for a few hours at least. :p

Thank you jack. i have one question I wasn't able to ask you or your men at the blog.

You and I had probably the worst time trying to score in the semi pro difficulty. is the novice anymore lienant?

But the 360's resolution is 720p so surely its pixel perfect if you choose 720p on your TV

i am more confused now :)

The 360 is capable of 1080p also. It depends on which resolution the game has been made native for.

Jack,

When you mentioned "physique"

Can you edit any player's appearance (face, skin tone, etc.)?
No, unfortunately not. You can alter date of birth, height, weight, , and a few other things (see below), but not the face or the skin-tone.

Does this mean we can actaully make an exsisting player skinnier? Such as in the case of viera at Milan?

Oh crap. Sorry, I did, but I've just asked on the phone and Carl hasn't seen one yet.

cheers pal, if you get a line of contact to ea via the blog could ask if it's in the game please? it's just that in pes6 i didn't see one til a month into the game so just because Carl hasn't see one yet doesn't mean it's not in the game i hope :)

Back
Top Bottom