FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

"PES has had this for years" I thought to myself What? PES has had independant Ball physics? no it hasnt! it has had CPU Programmed physics (mostly bullshit physics at that!)

lol... my exact thought also

The ball "physics" in PES seems to have become more scripted than ever before.

It's certainly never been "free" physics, what with scripted passing since it's inception, and now the ludicrous ball deflections going straight to the cpu 99% of the time...that's pure script, no physics there at all.

I'm not exepcting FIFA08 to be a world beater but I'm hoping it will give the deteriorating PES a run for it's money.

On the subject of the special moves, I'm hoping these are not things that you can pull off with any player.

Yes, you should be able to at least attempt them with anyone, but those players who are unlikley to be able to perform the tricks in real-life should have a 99% chance of mucking it up every time, otherwise the gameplay will become a joke.

I still have the infamous endless 360 degree spins of a FIFA of yesteryear indelibly imprinted in my mind.

On the subject of the special moves, I'm hoping these are not things that you can pull off with any player.
Unless I'm going (even more) mental, I'm sure that's been confirmed already in OPSM (or PSM3), in an article that reads "so wonder-goals with Ronaldinho will be hard to pull off, but with players like Gary Neville they will be next-to-impossible. Not completely impossible - even a Neville can get lucky on occasion - but it's extremely unlikely."

I'd laugh if you found the quote and that's what it says word for word. :D That's how I remember it, anyway.

EA Canada mix up their tactics for the new season difficult to get overwhelmed at the prospect of another FIFA title, regardless of the continued (sometimes troubled) improvement shown in FIFA 07. (Aptly demonstrated with a 73% in XBW46... we'll discount the nasty Champions League cash-in.)

As you'd expect, it'll be bigger, brighter, prettier and more stuffed full of licenses than any other game, including several thousand more players than in Madden. But after years where they may have out-sold PES, they've never conquered their Konami rivals where it matters: on the pitch. This year though, there are several improvements which they reckon will set up a much more level playing field.

First up, the ball is truly animation-free. Last year's version went almost all the way (although there were still some artificial limits); now the ball is totally physics-driven. It's not tied to a string, it's not pre-determined in animations, it's just, to all intents and purposes, a ball. Which is great news, but lest we forget, it's exactly what we've enjoyed in PES for an age. With this in mind, EA are determined that FIFA 08 will become far more freeform. You'll have a wider range of spontaneous moves and you'll have to get player-positioning right for shots. Which, er, is all in PES. Already. Still, if they sort it, then it's undeniably great news.

Kick It
The other big focus is an area in which EA have far more expertise: a massively expanded skills section. On the one hand, combined with the physics engine, you'll have more opportunity to pull off sexy football tricks from all your favourite players, doing so by holding down the left trigger and using the right analogue stick. It's designed to be more organic and fluid than 'trick sticks' of the past and easier to pull off on the fly. Cruyff turns, Ronaldo stepovers and already over a dozen other moves are all promised, after they borrowed some technology from NBA Homecourt.

And let's face it, everyone wants to pull off the good stuff to truly humiliate their mates. However, we've got to be honest and say we're unsure of how much focus we want on these sort of individual skills; after all, it's a team game and to be fair, trick stick-style gimmicks have had dubious success down the years.

That said, the sounds coming out of EA Canada are encouraging, and if they can pull it off, this could rock considerably. Well wait to go hands-on with it before we give it a full endorsement.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168239

EA Canada mix up their tactics for the new season difficult to get overwhelmed at the prospect of another FIFA title, regardless of the continued (sometimes troubled) improvement shown in FIFA 07. (Aptly demonstrated with a 73% in XBW46... we'll discount the nasty Champions League cash-in.)

As you'd expect, it'll be bigger, brighter, prettier and more stuffed full of licenses than any other game, including several thousand more players than in Madden. But after years where they may have out-sold PES, they've never conquered their Konami rivals where it matters: on the pitch. This year though, there are several improvements which they reckon will set up a much more level playing field.

First up, the ball is truly animation-free. Last year's version went almost all the way (although there were still some artificial limits); now the ball is totally physics-driven. It's not tied to a string, it's not pre-determined in animations, it's just, to all intents and purposes, a ball. Which is great news, but lest we forget, it's exactly what we've enjoyed in PES for an age. With this in mind, EA are determined that FIFA 08 will become far more freeform. You'll have a wider range of spontaneous moves and you'll have to get player-positioning right for shots. Which, er, is all in PES. Already. Still, if they sort it, then it's undeniably great news.

Kick It
The other big focus is an area in which EA have far more expertise: a massively expanded skills section. On the one hand, combined with the physics engine, you'll have more opportunity to pull off sexy football tricks from all your favourite players, doing so by holding down the left trigger and using the right analogue stick. It's designed to be more organic and fluid than 'trick sticks' of the past and easier to pull off on the fly. Cruyff turns, Ronaldo stepovers and already over a dozen other moves are all promised, after they borrowed some technology from NBA Homecourt.

And let's face it, everyone wants to pull off the good stuff to truly humiliate their mates. However, we've got to be honest and say we're unsure of how much focus we want on these sort of individual skills; after all, it's a team game and to be fair, trick stick-style gimmicks have had dubious success down the years.

That said, the sounds coming out of EA Canada are encouraging, and if they can pull it off, this could rock considerably. Well wait to go hands-on with it before we give it a full endorsement.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168239

they said last year that the ball wasnt on a string, so now there doing that again, how can you make that happen twice? or did it not happen in the first place...

The ball last year on Next Gen was more free and felt less scripted.... honestly gomito anything positive said about FIFA and you rubbish it! Wait till the Demo comes out and then the full game before dismissing it.... Have you played UEFA CL on 360 before?

Yes he has, don't get him started for the love of God. He's the anti-me.

Yet he is Pro PES and thinks PES is perfect? Fanboys are great arent they JB. I just appreciate good games and I reckon 08 will be the best yet.

You know I love FIFA mate and this is a FIFA thread, admittedly, but fanboys (both the FIFA kind and the PES kind - and the 360/PS3 kinds as well come to think of it) aren't great. I'm sick of the wars to be honest. I like FIFA, someone else doesn't, let's have sex.

im glad i am unbiased so both games will be good for me anyway

but after playing PES i hate Fifa and after playing Fifa i hate PES so i have to have long breaks before playing the other

I played PES6 on the PC this morning and besides how smooth the GFX was and the great work of the patchers to make it look authentic the game is just too damn stiff! You cant move your players where you want to and often they miscontrol the ball! Slow Defenders catch fast strikers and rob them of the ball quickly! Fair Do's I was playing on Top Player level but it took the piss.

I played PES6 on the PC this morning and besides how smooth the GFX was and the great work of the patchers to make it look authentic the game is just too damn stiff! You cant move your players where you want to and often they miscontrol the ball! Slow Defenders catch fast strikers and rob them of the ball quickly! Fair Do's I was playing on Top Player level but it took the piss.

play your friends, tottally different game in multiplayer

Yet he is Pro PES and thinks PES is perfect? Fanboys are great arent they JB. I just appreciate good games and I reckon 08 will be the best yet.

i dont think PES is perfect at all. I think its like comparing apples to oragnes in terms of gameplay. Fifa is not fun. Never has been. I have both fifa 07 and UEFA, and i never had fun with them. The players move clunky, the delay on the players moving is lame, the game does not run smooth, tackles and defense are terrible, crossing is terrible, and the players attributes dont mean a damn thing. If fifa was actually better the PES, i would play it. But to me, its not. sorry guys, i hope fifa 08 is the best game ever

that's obvious.. but FIFA for the first time last year was actually not a piece of chit totally.. it's headed in the right direction for sure.. just still have to focus on gameplay

and yeah.. they said the same things last year about the ball being so real.

The dates are released in EA Forum...

Fifa08 is coming this 28th September 2007...

The demos are coming in...

PC & Xbox360 27th August 2007
PS3 10th September 2007

Why does it always take longer for PS3 demos?

Well, at least this way I'll get to play both versions before they come out and see which I'll buy (currently have the 360 version pre-ordered).

Which somehow I doubt I'll get to do with PES 2008. :(

20 Reasons to Believe in FIFA 08

T4386S.jpg

People are waiting for scans of this in the PES/WE thread, I hope whoever has it can scan the FIFA stuff too.:)

Have to say PES 2008 is graphically looking better than FIFA 08, it's the PES animation that kills FIFA for me.

PES 2008
kakanb9.jpg

FIFA 08
ribzwj0.jpg

Comparing both these pics, yes PES 2008 does it for me. Much more realistic.

It's certainly a lot closer now. Even I have to admit the body stances in PES now look better.

Back
Top Bottom