FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

We might disagree but at the end of the day we pay our money, we make our choice. I won't be touching PES2008, he won't be touching FIFA, but we'll both be happy.

i would imagine that most people on here will download both of them, for free...

that way, it won't matter if one of them is gash...

guys, just played the 360 PES2008 demo and hugely disappointed. Big part of me was hoping that we would have 2 excellent footy games this year. UNless Konami significantly changes PES for retail then I suspect that Fifa08 will be my staple game for the next 12 months at least.
I like the Fifa08 demo and even with minor improvements I can see that the game engine is sound and has longevity.

The PEs2008 demo is like PES6 reloaded in super HD. Sooo Arcadey. Have to admit PES cut scenes and faces so much better than Fifa, but it falls so short on eveyr other aspect. I held so much hope for PES, but from the demo this is rapidly being eroded.
Sign me up for the fifa08 league now pls...........

You must appreciate that these posts ate quite alien to me as I have ALWAYS been an avid Winning Eleven PES advocate and have loved it. BUt I think I am potentially falling out of love with the old girl........

Last edited:

PES has lost it's way. It seems confused with itself.
It plays just like it did on ps2/xbox just with better textures. NOTHING in the game engine looks reworked.same movements/same player models same everything. same horrible "konami" adboards same cardboard crowds etc. great the nets move great there's refs on the pitch great there's better substitution cutscenes. It needs to said Fifa 07/08 looks next gen and feels like it. PES does not.

I hate it when something or someone that TRIES to do something different and succeeds in some ways gets discredited for not being a total success.

Stupid logic to think that PES looks anything better than Fifa 08 this year...

PES has lost it's way. It seems confused with itself.
It plays just like it did on ps2/xbox just with better textures. NOTHING in the game engine looks reworked.same movements/same player models same everything. same horrible "konami" adboards same cardboard crowds etc. great the nets move great there's refs on the pitch great there's better substitution cutscenes. It needs to said Fifa 07/08 looks next gen and feels like it. PES does not.

I hate it when something or someone that TRIES to do something different and succeeds in some ways gets discredited for not being a total success.

Stupid logic to think that PES looks anything better than Fifa 08 this year...

I'd still put money on PES outscoring Fifa in the OPM reviews but each to their own.

I would as well but that's because Joe Public loves PES. If a magazine said PES was shite, nobody would buy it and Konami would never give them any inside information again, meaning nothing to say to the PES loving public and less magazine sales. In my opinion of course...

I know I won't like Halo as much as I'll like 90% of the other FPS games on the 360 but can you see a magazine saying "Halo is poo, don't bother with it"? It would be suicide.

Last edited:

I would as well but that's because Joe Public loves PES. If a magazine said PES was shite, nobody would buy it and Konami would never give them any inside information again, meaning nothing to say to the PES loving public and less magazine sales. In my opinion of course...

I know I won't like Halo as much as I'll like 90% of the other FPS games on the 360 but can you see a magazine saying "Halo is poo, don't bother with it"? It would be suicide.

Totally agree, because fifa has the licenses if a magazine give pes low score nobody will buy the game :shock:

I thought that Fifa and Pro Evo had similar sales.

Although I'd definitely say that Pro is the game that you most commonly here people playing, if you get me.

I know loads of people who play PES whilst I know very few that play Fifa.

I've even been sad enough to go to a few Pro Evo nights at friends places and eat pizza and drink irn bru

im hardcore, you see?

Last edited:

I thought that Fifa and Pro Evo had similar sales.

Although I'd definitely say that Pro is the game that you most commonly here people playing, if you get me.

I know loads of people who play PES whilst I know very few that play Fifa.

I've even been sad enough to go to a few Pro Evo nights at friends places and eat pizza and irn bru

im hardcore, you see?

Most of people don't even care about demos, feedbacks or reviews , they buy each game because they are fans of the series. I know a lot of my friends that they will blind bye PES again this year...

*the same happens to fifa fans*

Last edited:

Just played both demos for about an hour or so and i must say im no fifa fanboy (anyone whose seen any of my posts over the years on fifa will testify to this :)) but Fifa is a genuine next gen title, its better in nearly every respect. The players move better, the animations are better. Switch assisted shooting off and try it for yourself, theres so much freedom. the ball can be struck with all parts of the boot its absoloutely amazing. the keepers are mint and dive realistically, compared to PES who still have the same animations as last year shockingly.

The players look better, in fact it plays as you would have expected PES to, with knowledge that the game can be deeper and harder later on - its what pes should have been. And it has the polish of the licenses and theyve fixed teh annoying ten miles between the goal and the crowd for the likes of anfield and ot.

Im not saying Adonis is wrong, he may have been lucky enough to play this finished and experienced a different game to me, but this demo does zero for konami - it should be stunning people with excitement, it doesnt. As for Badgerman - i see your point mate about next year - but isnt that what we said about fifa year on year? I think Pes has seriously lost its way and im a bit upset about that because its been a great game for so many many years.

As for Badgerman - i see your point mate about next year - but isnt that what we said about fifa year on year?

I'm a bit fatigues but if you're referring to my "wait until next year" attitude then well yeah. But I've put a deadline on it, next year, and I'm sticking to it. I can't speak for Fifa fans if they found themselves saying that year in year out but this is the only time I'd say it for Pro Evo.

Also I'm not saying this because I'm worried, I'm saying it because I'd expect them to have a bedding in period before I expect them to truly deliver.

I am completely shocked at how arcadish and scripted PES2008 is. Bugs everywhere, but ofcourse this is only a demo. After hrs of playing the PES2008 demo, I went back to Fifa08 demo, and it was a like breath of fresh air in how much freedom and slow paced fifa is compared to PES2008. The graphics alone blow PES2008 out of the water. The faces are a lot better in PES2008, and some player proportions, but the gameplay, shooting, passing, atmosphere, and on field sound affects are much better in Fifa demo.

I am just glad that we have an excellent alternative this year. And that I don't have to wait until early spring to play the best futbol sim game this year.

You want to play fast paced arcadish style futbol online, go with PES2008. You want to play slow paced sim style of futbol, go with FIFA08.

Roll on Oct 9th.

;-)

Last edited:

I doubt konami will change their beloved core engine. I dont expect many changes towards PES2009

They may try to rebuild the engine and rewrite the code from scratch as EA did...
If they do it will be the best thing Konami have done since ISSPE2 on the PSone. I pray for that day - it's the best thing EA have ever done, that's for sure.

they definetely need too.

most I fear that EA will rewrite their engine like every year and we will have next year a total different game instead of tweaking it further and further

'cos they're american - ea know more about the heel of a loaf than they do about football...
well as i pointed out to another chap on this forum. Being american and knowing nothing about football has "fuck all" to do with making a video game. Being a excellent programmer and graphic artist has everything to do with it. And sorry that this hurts you guys so much, but america produces both and in spades. So stop hating on america and realize that yes even americans can make great footie titles. If you had to know alot about football to make a great game then all footie game development would come out of RIO not tokyo and vancouver..Why arent these games developed in London? and p.s. baseball is still the king in japan...

Cracking posts mate. I have to agree 100%. The way you've described the flaws are exact. I know you have as many reservations about PES 2008, but these views share mine.

wow, i mean is as if you guys played two games..... the responsiveness is cured IMO by the left trigger in new alternative mode, it traps the ball and you can move your player into space away from the defender... just like the old pro evo 's could do... i think both games are going to be great... but i like jack cant understand why you guys think fifa is shit, when it is clear as day to me, they have really stepped up this year....

most I fear that EA will rewrite their engine like every year and we will have next year a total different game instead of tweaking it further and further

If Joe Booth remain leader of FIFA development team, the game will be even better next year for sure

I think that for FIFA and for PES the game should be rebuilt with each new generation of console. The rebuilt FIFA is the best FIFA has ever been. But for as long as PES is still a PSone game underneath it won't be taking advantage of anything. Even if the game is great you can rewrite it from scratch and learn from what made the game great to make it great again when it's rewritten - but if you're rewriting everything for a new machine then you'll save extra CPU power you never knew you had, and you'll be able to add tons more to the game that you couldn't before.

If Joe Booth remain leader of FIFA development team, the game will be even better next year for sure
Now this is where I worry, personally. EA change the producer every year to keep the game "fresh". So any dickhead could be in charge for FIFA 09.

Last edited:

who is joe booth?

@jack: weren`t you supposed to get a retail copy of fifa today?

Joe Booth is the producer of next-gen FIFA 08. He is an English football fan, supports Leeds, and he's very passionate about the game. What he's done with FIFA 08 is amazing considering how it's totally different from the previous game.

We were supposed to get a retail copy of the game today, yes (in about six hours if it arrives), but we've had no email to say it's been sent so I'm assuming it will be Monday or Tuesday now. Really gutted, but still, better than Friday. :p

Back
Top Bottom