FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

EA had done it with NHL why not FIFA?

Because from 94-2005 fifa was a arcade game with bad physics, gameplay and bugs. Only 2 years later we have the realistic football game ever? come on....:roll:

Last edited:

Man I can't wait for the full game! I absolutely love this edition of Fifa! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a football game this much. Just tried the PES2008 demo and it was such a huge dissapointment. Fifa 08 is something brand new, PES2008 is not. And that makes me really sad...Konami has destroyed a game that was enjoyed by so many people. i don't understand what they are doing...

Bring on Fifa!

Last edited:

Fifa blows the socks off this Pes after playing both demos. As Jack said its very sad in a way, i used to be so ENTHRALLED with this game and when i put it n before i felt nothing, no excitement, no nothing.

This is next generation. Its supposed to grab you by the balls and not let go. its supposed to blow you away with atmosphere and visuals and PES just doesnt do it. like someone else said its like an old game on a new console, like ISS or something.

Well, I've just played my 4th session of FIFA08 demo since downloading it and I have to say that, if the demo represents the final product, it's another turkey. I'm now creating a few chances every game but it's just not like real football at all.

The AI absolutely wrecks the single-player game. Their immaculate passing at super-speed, their super-response times, it's laughable and it kills the game. And this is the equivalent of PES on only 2 stars?

I've heard people talk about how the difficulty in scoring is a good thing. Not in my opinion, not when it's all down to the cpu players having far superior response times and acceleration. And game can be made cahllenging by doing that. It's not subtle, it's not "intelligent" AI, it's cpu cheating. And that's not to mention their flawless, high speed passing.

I've heard some say that the final version will have more vulnerable AI teams. Seriously, it better have. I'm not interested in playing against Chester City and watching them play exactly the same as Barcelona.

It's dangerous to put out demos that don't represent the final game.If I hadn;t heard that the final game will be addressing some issues, I'd certainly have cancelled my pre-order. For now, I'm hoping to hears others opinions when they receive the game early.

It is just a game and you're right, I'm sorry. I do apologise, you're literate yourself, between the poo references. And I'm sorry for making it personal. It just makes me so angry to see where the game is heading.

I honestly don't care what people enjoy, I swear to you. Noted, who is someone I speak to on MSN a lot, is enjoying the demo, and I'm not saying to him "you mong". It's just the fact that PES is not, to me, a simulation any more. I was genuinely and rather sadly emotional this morning when I got the demo, because it's not the PES I used to love. It was just a game but it was something I did with my time every day, or every few days at least, and now I can't bear to look at it. I find that genuinely sad, when something you've devoted thousands of hours to turns into something you can't bear to see.

But I apologise for being over the top.

Here's the standpoint of a rational badgerman

Pro Evo right now is in a state of.... don't say it...tempting.... unnngghhh

evolution

So much for being rational.

Well let's call it a state of transition. It's too much to expect Pro Evo to be exploiting every inch of power that next gen can offer right off the bat, same goes for Fifa.

What We can all agree with is that Pro Evo got better with each new version on the PS2. I think we can all agree that the progression tailed off towards the end, which is to be expected. To expect them to jump above the progression that was there before is a little unrealistic.

You have to give it until the second generation of next-gen games (mouthful) until we can see what direction the series is going in.

Hell PES2009 could be an amazing game thanks to the foundations laid by PES2008

I personally don't count the first 360 Pro Evo as a game. I ignore it and it's an irksome point for me when people insinuate that it was their first genuine next gen outing.

I'm so laid back as I accepted 2 years back that we'd have to through a 4 year grey patch before we get to the point where progression is met on the next level.

Good news, we're on year 3 of 4.

When I get angry (i wanted to capitalise that I but it's hard to emphasise from all the other I's) then I will telegram you personally that the series has hit a stumbling block.

Right now everything is going as expected in my book.

Your mindset seems to be very black/white, hopefully I've shed some light on to what the sensible pes fans are thinking.

I'd also encourage you to listen to some cool music and carry on the happy feeling times.

AND WHATS WITH THE BLOODY MUSIC ON IT??? AWFUL!AWFUL! AWFUL SUPERMARKET TUNES!

GO FOR THE GOAL INDEED!

Here's the standpoint of a rational badgerman

evolution

So much for being rational.

Well let's call it a state of transition. It's too much to expect Pro Evo to be exploiting every inch of power that next gen can offer right off the bat, same goes for Fifa.

What We can all agree with is that Pro Evo got better with each new version on the PS2. I think we can all agree that the progression tailed off towards the end, which is to be expected. To expect them to jump above the progression that was there before is a little unrealistic.

You have to give it until the second generation of next-gen games (mouthful) until we can see what direction the series is going in.

Hell PES2009 could be an amazing game thanks to the foundations laid by PES2008

I personally don't count the first 360 Pro Evo as a game. I ignore it and it's an irksome point for me when people insinuate that it was their first genuine next gen outing.

I'm so laid back as I accepted 2 years back that we'd have to through a 4 year grey patch before we get to the point where progression is met on the next level.

Good news, we're on year 3 of 4.

When I get angry (i wanted to capitalise that I but it's hard to emphasise from all the other I's) then I will telegram you personally that the series has hit a stumbling block.

Right now everything is going as expected in my book.

Your mindset seems to be very black/white, hopefully I've shed some light on to what the sensible pes fans are thinking.

I'd also encourage you to listen to some cool music and carry on the happy feeling times.

To be fair they've had two years. the first they wasted on tarting up the old gen and this year they look like they've sprinkled some polish on it.

Not good. Think they need to stop wasting there time on PS2 personally and concentrate man power on getting a truly worthy next generation version out.

I've heard some say that the final version will have more vulnerable AI teams. Seriously, it better have. I'm not interested in playing against Chester City and watching them play exactly the same as Barcelona.
I love the game but I have to say, I agree with you completely on that. If the final game really is no different (even though I've heard from two independent sources it's not - but they haven't actually played against a lower-league team themselves), then the game will be a big let-down. I feel they've got a lot of stuff absolutely perfect, but if every game is like playing Barcelona then... Every game will be a waste of time.

I'm positive though, apparently there's a lot that's fixed in the final version.

evolution

Well let's call it a state of transition....

It's certainly not evolving any more. Transition...yes, in the sense that they're ported the game to a newer console. It's not progressing though. The transition to next-gen was the opportunity to develop, instead they chose to port.

I think many people have concluded that PES stopped getting better on PS2 around PES3/4. Since them, it's been rehashing, tweaking for the sake of tweaking without actually progressing.

I also didn't anticpate the first release on PS3 to be a major step forward, but having seen what they've actually done with PES2008, I now have serious doubts that PES2009 will be a significant improvement.

It's a game which has so many areas which could be built upon. PES now reeks of lack of inspiration and imagination. Seabass needs to hire some new ideas people.

It's certainly not evolving any more. Transition...yes, in the sense that they're ported the game to a newer console. It's not progressing though. The transition to next-gen was the opportunity to develop, instead they chose to port.

I think many people have concluded that PES stopped getting better on PS2 around PES3/4. Since them, it's been rehashing, tweaking for the sake of tweaking without actually progressing.

I also didn't anticpate the first release on PS3 to be a major step forward, but having seen what they've actually done with PES2008, I now have serious doubts that PES2009 will be a significant improvement.

It's a game which has so many areas which could be built upon. PES now reeks of lack of inspiration and imagination. Seabass needs to hire some new ideas people.

Its a simple case of Konami resting on their laurals due to Fifa being so pants over the years to the point where they have just stopped being innovative.

I love the game but I have to say, I agree with you completely on that. If the final game really is no different (even though I've heard from two independent sources it's not - but they haven't actually played against a lower-league team themselves), then the game will be a big let-down. I feel they've got a lot of stuff absolutely perfect, but if every game is like playing Barcelona then... Every game will be a waste of time.

I'm positive though, apparently there's a lot that's fixed in the final version.

gotta dissagre with you both on that..i do feel a lot of diference on the demo when facing bayern or Red bull...
and thats from a solo 4 mim half.

i cant score or evan creat clear chances agains bayern or man utd... while against red bull and america they came in loads.

gotta dissagre with you both on that..i do feel a lot of diference on the demo when facing bayern or Red bull...

i cant score or evan creat clear chances agains bayern or man utd... while against red bull and america they came in loads.

Totally agree, even though I'm now scoring and creating against all teams, you can see a great difference between the good and bad teams.

Anyway just played the PES demo and while it's not a bad game it's definatly FIFA for me this year. PES hasn't changed a thing, I was able to set it to world class straight away and I was already an expert, there is just nothing left for me as a single player game anymore. My mates love it still and it can be a blast multi player and I may just get it for that. But FIFA offers a whole new challange and way of playing an old genre and that will be my number 1 choice for sure.

To sum up, PES is still good but the realistic tag it's had for years has been well and truley exposed now and it's a good fun arcade kick about and after being number 1 for years is no longer the daddy. Well done EA and FIFA let's hope Seabass finally gets his finger out now and produces a game worthy of reclaiming the title next year.

But do you think that's a good thing, considering this is the second easiest level? What the hell is level 5 or 6 going to be like?

And when you look at why you aren't creating proper chances against some teams, why is it? It's clear to me that the cpu team have ridiculous responses. They don't accelerate, they just go from standing to full speed in and instant, whilst your guys respond like an ocean-going oil tanker. You may like that, enjoy the challenge, I'm sick of it already.

And I don't think I've seen a single misplaced cpu pass yet, by any team. I mean literally none.

Here's hoping the final game delivers.

I too also feel that all teams feel the same. I actually prefer playing against the big teams, at least their toughness is realistic.

I got tired of Angel scoring every freekick, and any Red Bull defender taking the ball away from Etoo, Messi and Ronaldinho like it was nothing.

I made this graph that I feel applies here.

avgtl0.jpg

hopefully this is the natural check that brings you lots expectations in to line.

Last edited:

But do you think that's a good thing, considering this is the second easiest level? What the hell is level 5 or 6 going to be like?

And when you look at why you aren't creating proper chances against some teams, why is it? It's clear to me that the cpu team have ridiculous responses. They don't accelerate, they just go from standing to full speed in and instant, whilst your guys respond like an ocean-going oil tanker. You may like that, enjoy the challenge, I'm sick of it already.

And I don't think I've seen a single misplaced cpu pass yet, by any team. I mean literally none.

I cant agree to that. Playing against Red Bull and Barca is a big difference. While I dominate Red Bull I still dont win every game. Sometimes I win 3:0 sometimes I just play 0:0. Playing against an equal team is really nice. Its very hard to build up some chances but from time to time there are some. And I even won a couple of times against Barca and co. This is just a 4min half. I am planing to play 10 or 15min halfs. And this beeing only 2* difficulty makes it even better. Because my skills will improve with every hour I play the final game. And I want it to be challenging in 2 months too. The pace of the game, the look and feel and the whole gameplay is so realistic that it blowed me away. PES is arcade and I have already read many old FIFA fans complaining about the new gameplay and them wanting to switch to PES. Why ? because their beloved arcade gameplay is gone and is found at konami newer days.

Back in the day everyone played Fifa.

Then Pro Evo came along and the people who played it then began trying to convince the Fifa fans how great it was despite lacking most of Fifa's content.

Each year it seemed like more and more people were finding what a gem PES was --- But at times it felt like a lot of people who jumped across to PES exclusively were elitist dick heads just jumping on the bandwagon because their older cooler brother liked PES better or all of their friends did. -- I'm not saying all but i knew a few people... dick heads basically who play what they hear is cool and ignore what they themselves think.

Sheep basically!

These kinds of people then start attacking the fifa fans to make themselves feel above them. Usually it would take the form of 'graphics over gameplay' arguments and the 'Why are you still playing that shit EA update? That's all they do rather than give us a full new game - you idiots!'.

=

Now, today... PES has stopped growing and has become the 'yearly update' game rather than the good old game that evolved each year and never stopped giving us surprises.

And EA / Fifa are evolving.

So now we have a switcharoo ---

Those who are open and free minded have played Fifa and enjoyed it and here we have the elitist pricks coming along trying to convince us that we're wrong. Im sure some people will play fifa and then pes and prefer one over the other... but thats great! Support for both games means future games.

But i say we ignore the arguing sheep - give it a year or two.... and they'll (if history repeats itself in a vice versa form) be coming across to FIFA and then attacking the PES fans.

Last edited:

Went back to the FIFA08 demo, afraid I might not like it as much.

And... I enjoyed it. :)

Barça(me) 1 United 0

United didn't have a shot on goal.

But like some said here, I really hope the final version is different and we can feel the difference between great teams and smaller teams. Right now I think the difference is in speed and power of the players. But every team plays too damn well. Never miss a pass. And the Goalkeepers blunders. Please EA, fix all that please.

If these problems aren't solved, it won't be such a great single player game as it could be. I'm hoping that human vs human is a lot more fun.

After playing the pes demo I can only say that I felt like I was in a Benny Hill sketch. I feel a bit relieved now and a bit calm that im not playing pong anymore. I had to turn it off. Its so fucking SPEEDY!!! No realism, looks like pes6. The only thing it has going for it is its AMAZING faces. But if we moan to EA as much as we do to each other in here, Im sure theyll take it on board ;)

Back in the day everyone played Fifa.

great its story time

Then Pro Evo came along and the people who played it then began trying to convince the Fifa fans how great it was despite lacking most of Fifa's content.

one day there was these evil germans and they were all like

"yo lets go to poland"

Each year it seemed like more and more people were finding what a gem PES was --- But at times it felt like a lot of people who jumped across to PES exclusively were elitist dick heads just jumping on the bandwagon because their older cooler brother liked PES better or all of their friends did. -- I'm not saying all but i knew a few people... dick heads basically who play what they hear is cool and ignore what they themselves think.

the nazis were growing in numbers!

Sheep basically!

nazis basically!

These kinds of people then start attacking the fifa fans to make themselves feel above them. Usually it would take the form of 'graphics over gameplay' arguments and the 'Why are you still playing that shit EA update? That's all they do rather than give us a full new game - you idiots!'.

they bombed our britches

which was a shame as i liked them trousers

Now, today... PES has stopped growing and has become the 'yearly update' game rather than the good old game that evolved each year and never stopped giving us surprises.

And EA / Fifa are evolving.

So now we have a switcharoo ---

Seriously my graph was not put up as a joke.

I'm not some sort of market analyst but I know how to sit back and take a look at the bigger picture.

You're stuck in a box.

Those who are open and free minded have played Fifa and enjoyed it and here we have the elitist pricks coming along trying to convince us that we're wrong. Im sure some people will play fifa and then pes and prefer one over the other... but thats great! Support for both games means future games.

So i'm one of those elitist pricks who has jumped on the pes bandwagon trying to befoul your cattle and steal your daughter's virginity and fill her with evil doctrines.

run for the hills

So i say we ignore them - give it a year or two.... and they'll (if history repeats itself in a vice versa form) be coming across to FIFA and then attacking the PES fans.

Brilliant.

Whilst I try and form ideas that can be loosely backed up, we have this.

Might as well predict what game moon men will prefer when they come visit us

Though Badger - really you should just leave this fifa 08 thread and go and take your ideas/opinion to the Fifa vs PES thread.

Thats what its for

This is where the action is son

Where else can I treat nonsense with a nonsensical reply?

I do enjoy it though.

Sensibleness is met with a straight bat. This is met with a newspaper to the nose you bad dog.

by any chance badger are you an adult? because i wouldnt be able to look myself in the mirror if i acted like you.

Or is this just a joke account someone set up for a laugh today?

ha ha ... great stuff guys

i get it now... i was thinking 'someone cant be this thick can they?'

good one!

To be honest I thought you (radiation) were a gimmick at first.

Also I'm exuberant as it's just who I am.

I can confirm that I have a clean driving license (and have had so for 3 years)

I also got told by my mummy that i was a big boy this morn when i made go in my potty.

I'm this way to people whom I rank on the badger scale as underserving of a proper response.

You need to prove yourself quick with an excellent quip or funny joke.

Clock's ticking.

winston said:
Well, I've just played my 4th session of FIFA08 demo since downloading it and I have to say that, if the demo represents the final product, it's another turkey. I'm now creating a few chances every game but it's just not like real football at all.

The AI absolutely wrecks the single-player game. Their immaculate passing at super-speed, their super-response times, it's laughable and it kills the game. And this is the equivalent of PES on only 2 stars?

I've heard people talk about how the difficulty in scoring is a good thing. Not in my opinion, not when it's all down to the cpu players having far superior response times and acceleration. And game can be made cahllenging by doing that. It's not subtle, it's not "intelligent" AI, it's cpu cheating. And that's not to mention their flawless, high speed passing.

It's dangerous to put out demos that don't represent the final game.If I hadn;t heard that the final game will be addressing some issues, I'd certainly have cancelled my pre-order. For now, I'm hoping to hears others opinions when they receive the game early.

Cracking posts mate. I have to agree 100%. The way you've described the flaws are exact. I know you have as many reservations about PES 2008, but these views share mine.

I've spoken to Badger on MSN for a bit and he's not a bad lad when you get him away from the forum. ;) We disagree on a lot - his argument is that PES2008 is more like a launch title and PES2009 will be great, but my argument is I feel like they've disregarded everything I've wanted to see added to the game for eight years (which makes it feel personal) and now they've gone one better by screwing up the game speed (which they haven't done by accident, so this is what they want the game to be). Launch-title or not they've chosen to fiddle with the game speed and I can't understand why they were compelled to touch it. Yes the responses are faster but I'm button-mashing because the game is going so fast I don't know when I've got the ball sometimes, so what does it matter?

We might disagree but at the end of the day we pay our money, we make our choice. I won't be touching PES2008, he won't be touching FIFA, but we'll both be happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom