FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

PS3 owners have reported poor performance with the Fifa08 demo, they're actually a bit different in content (different teams, stadium, day setting) so if you have both systems try both.....

i was indeed refering to which should be better: 360 fifa v ps3 fifa, and likewise with pes. i probably opened up a can of worms with that comment!

i can't really imaging playing pes with anything other than a sony pad though...

I have tried both and the 360 demo is a lot better, the graphics are as rough as fuck on the PS3, and the L&R2 buttons are crap for sprinting or doing tricks

Honestly I have gave up on website/magazine reviews of PES. they refuse to talk about issues which are not fixed and that hurt the game. I gonna download the demo when I get in but it sounds like it is going down the arcade route. like Jack has said in the WE thread, I have bought nearly every WE game since WE6:FE (missing two old J-League games) and it is sad to see Seabass struggling.

and I forgot that there lots of slowdown in a crowded box in the PS3 demo

PES will get better reviews than it deserves based on its history, Fifa will get worse reviews than it deserves because of its history.

IMHO :)

@ Spunk, i would say ps3 pes for the d-pad, fifa 360 for the pad (and possible game issues(slowdown/etc)). Although if you have both, try both.

My thoughts on the PES demo.

First, something dedicated to Jack: Funny how you're scoring more than me on PES and I'm scoring more than you on FIFA. :)

Right, my take on it (this opinion is coming from a PES die hard who's been enjoying FIFA08, as my avatar suggests):

Positives:
> Quick responsive gameplay. (arcadish? don't think so, play some virtua striker and compare).
> Human Defence is improved, I've been able to head the ball clear out of the box most times, which almost never happened on PES6. Reaction times of defenders are better too, they turn around quicker etc.
> Very nice new animations. (when fighting for possession, falling on the ground, jumping in front of a shot while trying to protect their body, etc.)
> I like the way the crowd gets up when they think something special is gonna happen.
> The sound of bodies colliding, the tackles, etc, makes you feel like you're right there on the pitch in the heat of the battle.
> I've had breakaways with Messi and Ronaldo and the defence could not catch me.
> (Compared to FIFA) I like how GKs react quickly when I order them to come out.
> Body proportions are better than FIFA, faces are amazing. Player expressions and emotions are very well portrayed.
> You can adjust the colors of the game.
> Pitch seems bigger.
> The game is fun.
> The refs and linesmen are great.
> Numbers and names on the back are accurate.
> Portuguese menus.
> THERE ARE UNTUCKED SHIRTS :)

Negatives:
> The running animations
> The game is a tad too fast (Fifa is a tad too slow)
> The pitch and the grass don't look like much.
> The 360's dpad sucks. As does the blue ball.
> The ball doesn't feel like a marble or whatever Jack said, but it does feel a little heavy.
> Overall look of the game isn't as realistic as the "other one", animations aren't as realistic.
> Don't fix what isn't broken is true and all that. But how long before a new engine is really required? Specially to take full advantage of the 360 and PS3? Seabass is probably thinking about this right now, and if not, he should.
> Music is AWFUL.

To sum it up, and my opinion is subject to change due to the fact that the full versions of the games have to be played to really have an honest and well funded opinion, i will say this:

For the first time in many years I will buy two football games. And this is due to the fact that FIFA has become a very good alternative, and a genuine alternative as the game looks and feels different. PES is still PES, It keeps all of its qualities, has improved here and there, and also keeps most of it's flaws.

Some guys from the FIFA side are blind with hate for PES, coming here and calling everybody fanboys, they are wrong. PES still has a lot of qualities, there are a lot of things in PES that are better than FIFA.

Some guys from the PES side haven't even given FIFA 08 a real chance before saying It's a load of crap, calling FIFA fanboys to whoever likes it, they are also wrong. FIFA has improved a lot, and depending on what you want out of a football game, it can be a better game than PES.

It all depends, and I think the balance is in between, both games are still far from perfect in many ways. And bar some unforseen merging of EA and Konami, the perfect game will likely never show up.

Ideally you should buy or at least give both games a fair chance. And you should also be mature enough to admit the qualities of the game you like the least and the flaws of the game you love the most. And you should respect other peoples choices and opinions. And this forum would be better for it.

I think I never wrote this much before. :)

Peace out and enjoy football, whatever club, nation or game that means for you.

Eight-direction yes, scripted yes (perhaps slightly less so but I've seen enough scripted moments), slow-rising power bar no (seems normal now), max power still looks inadequate.

Don't say I never give anything to this community. :thumbup:

Cheers. Can't say I'm surprised.

Incidently Jack, if you don't mind me asking, don't you work? You seem to be able to download and play all the new stuff as soon as it's released, no matter the time of day, and then spend all day on here posting (although I spend half my working day on the internet thesedays :lol:).

Incidently Jack, if you don't mind me asking, don't you work? You seem to be able to download and play all the new stuff as soon as it's released, no matter the time of day, and then spend all day on here posting (although I spend half my working day on the internet thesedays :lol:).
I'm taking a year off work to pursue a career dream of mine, which involves learning from home. Not going too well though, and Evo-Web is a big distraction. Long story...

Good review by the way Airjoca, I respect your opinions. Have to say though, I strongly feel the physics are glass-pitch-like. The ball doesn't react like it does in this game in real life, no way. It's like pong on acid. Press pass ten times in a row, just pass it about to your team-mates. The ball does NOT move like that in real life - only if you play on a pitch made of something that isn't grass. There's no effort put into passing or whatever, you can just hammer the button and press a vague direction. I really dislike the game, but admittedly playing the FIFA 08 demo has probably exaggerated my view.

I've just watched my dad do a cross-field ball with a full power bar, and the ball took literally ONE SECOND to cover the whole pitch, side to side, and hit the other player's chest. If that's realistic then I don't know what football I've been watching for years.

I love some of the graphical touches though, the crowd closeups at half-time are really good (although some of them look a bit freaky).

Last edited:

Finally managed to watch some of the new videos showing the PES2008 demo.

They really need to rename the game to PES4590 as everything happens at angles of 45 or 90 degrees. It looks cack.

The ball physics is still clearly scripted. The AI looks like it's still as bad as PES6. CPU cheats are evident even from the videos. I've read reports that there's slow-down in busy penalty boxes! They've basically ported PES6, warts and all.

Be honest, guys, is it really worth me burning electricity downloading the demo?

Finally managed to watch some of the new videos showing the PES2008 demo.

They really need to rename the game to PES4590 as everything happens at angles of 45 or 90 degrees. It looks cack.

The ball physics is still clearly scripted. The AI looks like it's still as bad as PES6. CPU cheats are evident even from the videos. I've read reports that there's slow-down in busy penalty boxes! They've basically ported PES6, warts and all.

Be honest, guys, is it really worth me burning electricity downloading the demo?

1- In FIFA, when attacking, it's also 45 or 90.

2- The A.I. has surprised me a few times with some clever passing. Don't agree with the scripting of the ball.

3- There is slow down sometimes, but it's a demo, it will surely be fixed.

4- Yes download it. Most FIFA fans defended it against bashing from PES fans when all we had were videos. Are you gonna do the same now?

1- In FIFA, when attacking, it's also 45 or 90.

2- The A.I. has surprised me a few times with some clever passing. Don't agree with the scripting of the ball.

3- There is slow down sometimes, but it's a demo, it will surely be fixed.

4- Yes download it. Most FIFA fans defended it against bashing from PES fans when all we had were videos. Are you gonna do the same now?

It's a real shame neither PES2008 nor FIFA 08 have 360 running direction .

Back on topic with FIFA 08', After playing literally 100's of halfs I now feel I'm starting to get to grips with the game.It's been a steep curve but definatly worth it, it plays so well and the moves you can string together are so realistic. If what has ben said regarding the responsivness being improved then FIFA will be my only purchase for the first time ever. I really can't wait till the full game now.

My thoughts on the PES demo.

First, something dedicated to Jack: Funny how you're scoring more than me on PES and I'm scoring more than you on FIFA. :)

Right, my take on it (this opinion is coming from a PES die hard who's been enjoying FIFA08, as my avatar suggests):

Positives:
> Quick responsive gameplay. (arcadish? don't think so, play some virtua striker and compare).
> Human Defence is improved, I've been able to head the ball clear out of the box most times, which almost never happened on PES6. Reaction times of defenders are better too, they turn around quicker etc.
> Very nice new animations. (when fighting for possession, falling on the ground, jumping in front of a shot while trying to protect their body, etc.)
> I like the way the crowd gets up when they think something special is gonna happen.
> The sound of bodies colliding, the tackles, etc, makes you feel like you're right there on the pitch in the heat of the battle.
> I've had breakaways with Messi and Ronaldo and the defence could not catch me.
> (Compared to FIFA) I like how GKs react quickly when I order them to come out.
> Body proportions are better than FIFA, faces are amazing. Player expressions and emotions are very well portrayed.
> You can adjust the colors of the game.
> Pitch seems bigger.
> The game is fun.
> The refs and linesmen are great.
> Numbers and names on the back are accurate.
> Portuguese menus.
> THERE ARE UNTUCKED SHIRTS :)

Negatives:
> The running animations
> The game is a tad too fast (Fifa is a tad too slow)
> The pitch and the grass don't look like much.
> The 360's dpad sucks. As does the blue ball.
> The ball doesn't feel like a marble or whatever Jack said, but it does feel a little heavy.
> Overall look of the game isn't as realistic as the "other one", animations aren't as realistic.
> Don't fix what isn't broken is true and all that. But how long before a new engine is really required? Specially to take full advantage of the 360 and PS3? Seabass is probably thinking about this right now, and if not, he should.
> Music is AWFUL.

To sum it up, and my opinion is subject to change due to the fact that the full versions of the games have to be played to really have an honest and well funded opinion, i will say this:

For the first time in many years I will buy two football games. And this is due to the fact that FIFA has become a very good alternative, and a genuine alternative as the game looks and feels different. PES is still PES, It keeps all of its qualities, has improved here and there, and also keeps most of it's flaws.

Some guys from the FIFA side are blind with hate for PES, coming here and calling everybody fanboys, they are wrong. PES still has a lot of qualities, there are a lot of things in PES that are better than FIFA.

Some guys from the PES side haven't even given FIFA 08 a real chance before saying It's a load of crap, calling FIFA fanboys to whoever likes it, they are also wrong. FIFA has improved a lot, and depending on what you want out of a football game, it can be a better game than PES.

It all depends, and I think the balance is in between, both games are still far from perfect in many ways. And bar some unforseen merging of EA and Konami, the perfect game will likely never show up.

Ideally you should buy or at least give both games a fair chance. And you should also be mature enough to admit the qualities of the game you like the least and the flaws of the game you love the most. And you should respect other peoples choices and opinions. And this forum would be better for it.

I think I never wrote this much before. :)

Peace out and enjoy football, whatever club, nation or game that means for you.
my long lost twin,i have finally found you. I AGREE %100.

OK its been a bit hectic around here the past 8 hoursor so since the PES demo.

I have decided to not even bother downloading the demo because FIFA gives me everything I want in a footy sim, so why bother comparing? I always said it does not matter what game it is as long as I enjoy it, so if you like the PES demo, fantastic,FIFA has some great feedback so woooop and I personally love it.

The problem I have found in the past is that having two similar games on the go ends up being a comparison everytime you play and that sort of detracts from the fun.With this in mind I am going for 1 fotygame this year and I will putalot of effort into it.

Chris (jack) has given an opinion with a heavy heart, some may say he is a perfectionist and thus expects alot, but why should'nt he/we?? I asked if it was similar to PES6, the answer was all i needed to hear.The arcade footy sim died with SWOS, to think its making a return in the shape of PES 12 years later is very dissapointing.

Say what you want, FIFA has made the next gen stride, I am afraid PES has just left the stating blocks.

My pes review, well sort of:

Its ok actually, I like the return of the fix curser, Grass looks like its painted on the pitch, Graphics are quite good, I dont like the way the game freezes for a split second whenever the whistle goes but I imagine that its an early build, Shooting is still not much cop too, Im going to buy it anyway but I think FIFA is better this year, and before all the fan boys start kicking off, ive been playing pes since iss pro 98 so im not a FIFA fan boy

Hi,

I've been a pes man since pes1 on ps2 - and have always had nothing but contempt for FIFA - it has never ever felt like football. FIFA 08 - what a game - this is real football. I do think it could do with being slightly faster, but then i've noticed the more i play, the faster i'm able to play, but attacking and closing down in defence.

For the first time, almost every player feels different. When i look at pes 2008, it reminds me of Edge's review of the third prince of persia - something along the lines of "but the worst thing of all....ennui". However unrealistic pes may be, it just looks the same. Every time i watch a fifa goal, anywhere on internet, it seems to have that flourish that makes me think what a goal. Every tiem i see a pes 2008 goal.........well it's like pleasuring yourself whilst thinking about your girlfriend.

p.s. - is 360 version noticeably better re the graphics?
Also re doing tricks, always felt analogues have too much dead zone on ps3 - are they more responsive on 360?

In real quandry as to which to buy...

And i share the above thoughts - imagine if FIFA 08 was the usual tedium this year........doesn't bear thinking about - i actually feel grateful to EA, like i used to each october with konami..........

...eu.

the players responsiveness to attack the ball when you do a longer pass is also too slow. my cpu partner is always antecipated by the opposite team. is there an "pes-r2" that can help me with this?

no supercancel here, too?

is there an option to let the ball go, like in pes6? the players always lock the ball first before doing anything else... i loved that feature in pes6: R1+ direction where the ball is heading... dreamy. i'm missing it already.

will somebody answer me this?

Just starting my PES 2008 demo download.

I have a feeling it will be dissapointing, but I'm open to some suprises this weekend. Apart from Brum winning at Anfield of course.

PES 2008 is more fun in the short term but that makes it boring in the long term like fifa always has been..

Back
Top Bottom