FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Played 3 games on the PES demo so far. Basically Fifa 08 is so far in front of PES at this time that there really shouldn't be any debate. And this comes from a PES player since the last 4/5 years.

Thats good to hear.

I feel it for the PES "fanboys" though.

Their loyalty is being thrown back in their faces.

the biggest joke we could have heared in the last couple of months is

THIS GAME HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT FOR 2 YEARS

oh pls nokami suck ur own balls and shut up pls

Tbh, i think ill probably like the demo as a one off match. That isnt the problem with pes, it still is fun in meaningless matches/multiplayer.

Its just that its developing at a snails pace(graphics/sound/gameplay/AI?), will likely still have all the annoyences of the previous versions and has no worth as a single player game.

Im not, ive given up on pes. Just cant stand to play another year of ML, and to be honest i was also getting bored after playing the same game for 5 odd years.

I really like fifa this year, and the final is even further improved by all accounts. And it has a great singleplayer mode aswell as actually looking/sounding/feeling nextgen.

Oh and i wont have to spend 2 weeks editing everthing (kits/logos/playernames/teamnames/etc|) before i can start playing it properly.

Well thank-you PES. Just played the Fifa 08 demo again and PES actually makes this EVEN better than before. I didn't even notice any response issues after i played PES. Fifa is just sooooo much better in my opinion that the football console war has finally been won.

All rise for Fifa 08.

I'm looking like a fanboy and I don't blame anyone for jumping to that conclusion so I shouldn't really say anything else, Placebo has said it's fun so obviously I'm missing something. But I can say honestly I've always had a kind of soft spot for PES, even if I've criticised it. I just really, really can't stand this demo, and in my personal opinion this is the worst it's ever been. Sorry if that makes me sound unbelievable but I'm nothing if not honest. I'm really disappointed because I was hoping to be won over for a few online games, but I just can't stand it. The physics aren't physics, the speed is like... Well, it's like someone's sat on the remote and put fast-forward on by accident. But I'm really shocked, I didn't think it would be this bad.

There's even bugs, which I've never really seen in PES before (not to the point where goalkeepers are punching out shots that are going miles out, anyway, and where there's big flashes across the screen occasionally). It can't be the final version.

I'm looking like a fanboy and I don't blame anyone for jumping to that conclusion so I shouldn't really say anything else, Placebo has said it's fun so obviously I'm missing something. But I can say honestly I've always had a kind of soft spot for PES, even if I've criticised it. I just really, really can't stand this demo, and in my personal opinion this is the worst it's ever been. Sorry if that makes me sound unbelievable but I'm nothing if not honest. I'm really disappointed because I was hoping to be won over for a few online games, but I just can't stand it. The physics aren't physics, the speed is like... Well, it's like someone's sat on the remote and put fast-forward on by accident. But I'm really shocked, I didn't think it would be this bad.

There's even bugs, which I've never really seen in PES before (not to the point where goalkeepers are punching out shots that are going miles out, anyway, and where there's big flashes across the screen occasionally). It can't be the final version.

Well thats good enough for me, I was looking forward to your impressions Chris and I am somewhat shocked you think it is that bad.

I would never have thought it would be as poor as you state, but if its anything like PES6 then I am glad I picked up an avatar lol.

What dissapoints you the most Chris and is it like PES6??

@ Placebo:

Wasnt having a go at you. The sad smily was more the likelyhood they will start coming in here. You know how sensitive they are to a joke, even if it is funny.

Exclusive image.

Fifa Creator Joe Booth after trying the PES demo.

cigars1.jpg

Well thats good enough for me, I was looking forward to your impressions Chris and I am somewhat shocked you think it is that bad.

I would never have thought it would be as poor as you state, but if its anything like PES6 then I am glad I picked up an avatar lol.

What dissapoints you the most Chris and is it like PES6??
I'm actually, and this is going to sound stupid, quite emotional. I've played Pro Evo since ISSPE2 on the PSone and I loved the first three or four, got tired of little changes to the off-the-field stuff (no more teams, no more competitions, done it all before), but each game has been playable. I had one or two good matches of PES6 online - I hated the game overall but online it wasn't so bad if you got a good player. But this is, I feel, the end of an era. I could never play this.

I'm always honest, and I don't argue if people think I'm not. Every year I've had a lot of negative things to say, but I have said positive things as well, because there have always been positives. This year, the only thing I can say is, the shots don't balloon over the bar any more. But everything else is the same as PES6, and the poorness of the game is exaggerated by the cartoon-like speed of it. Honestly, even though I prefer FIFA, I'm gutted, because I've bought every PES and every WE up to now. But this is terrible. I could shed a little tear, it's so sad.

The physics are ridiculous, every ball moves across the surface like it's glass. The way the ball bounces isn't real, at all. Everything is decided by the CPU (if you don't like their method of using manual pass), meaning that every pass you do is either perfect, or straight to the CPU. Goalkeepers punch things out for a corner that they have no need to even be APPROACHING. If I want to cross the ball then I barely get a challenge, just a wing-back flapping his arms at me. They don't try to stop you. But the speed is what kills it for me.

No improvements I can see bar the graphics and the shots that don't go over the bar every time (plus good referee AI and excellent graphics for the faces and the crowd). From what I can tell, everything else is either the same or worse. But then the speed of the game makes it hard to notice any improvements.

I'm honestly gutted.

Last edited:

damn i just took the bait i just posted a rant about those narrow minded ones in the pes thread. I hope a ban aint forthcoming.

I haven't seen your post but I would severely doubt that moaning about narrow minded fans could warrant a banning.

@ Jack - don't be so down mate!

I know where you're coming from but come on, the game ain't out for ages yet - they've obviously shit themselves with the positive feedback to FIFA and thrown something together - perhaps the final release will be a LOT better?

I hope they are both great games (but then also, I would prefer to have a leaning to one rather than the other as I generally only play one game all year (which in the past has been Pro Evo)).

MJP - it must be an early version, because as I said before, I've never seen real "bugs" in a PES game and I've seen three or four in this demo already. So hopefully everything will improve - but with FIFA I'm hoping for two or three things, with PES I'm hoping they lower the speed, fix the physics, fix the automated everything, the CPU cheats (which are still there, your player slows down when a ball is a few feet in front of you when you're hammering the sprint button), fix the goalkeepers... I will try it, I will try anything, but I know in my heart this is the end of an era. They can't make it better than FIFA 08 in my eyes, if this is what they're working with - and at the moment, for me, it's unplayable (the speed and the way everything is automatic just sickens me). So sad.

After playing the PES demo then going back to FIFA, i really cant believe just how much better Fifa is. It just plays and looks like footbal that we all know and love. Pes has had its day, it still plays pretty much like it did several years ago, yes it was good in its day but Fifa has definitely taken over this year. Pes will shortly be deleted.

Just been watching a vid of PES2008 and being totally honest, I got bored halfway through and switched it off.

Looks like it plays exactly the same as PES6 ZZZzzzzzz.

Jack - see what you're saying mate, maybe it is the end of an era that for a lot of us has existed for the best part of a decade. It is, after all, why we are all here in the first place.

Pro Evi is dead, long live FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom