FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

After watching Sporting v Man Utd and then going back to the FIFA demo, I can't believe how realistic the game is, I really can't (especially on manual, as sometimes you get the pass just right and sometimes you kick it off the other side of the pitch).

It's a bit quicker in real life, though. The game is about 20% too slow (and I think that's why the crosses can sometimes feel "floaty", speed it up and it'll be perfect). And they do need to fix the response times, the impossible defenders and the GK AI (and apparently at least two out of three of those are done in the final version, so that's great).

After watching Sporting v Man Utd and then going back to the FIFA demo, I can't believe how realistic the game is, I really can't (especially on manual, as sometimes you get the pass just right and sometimes you kick it off the other side of the pitch).

It's a bit quicker in real life, though. The game is about 20% too slow (and I think that's why the crosses can sometimes feel "floaty", speed it up and it'll be perfect). And they do need to fix the response times, the impossible defenders and the GK AI (and apparently at least two out of three of those are done in the final version, so that's great).

im guessing those 2 are defenders and response times...
:(
unfortnatly, becasue those dont bother me at all as i dont really see them... on the other hand, the gks do, quite much.

JayM, apparently they do - pitch degradation is a part of next-gen FIFA, and the crappier your ground is, the more degrading it will be to play on it.

God help us, Tranmere.

Jack, I think they have the pace right to simulate it in a video game,add that 20% and you have no time and create this ping pong effect that PES has sort of lent it self to.It is difficult enough to pull off the tricks and side steppng in the match, I feel any faster and it would be near on imposible without it looking unnatural at full speed.

I love the calmness you can bring into the match to build and plot attacks, I would hate the ball being wizzed about due to an extra bit of pace and quicknes of the pass button.

Just my opinion but I think they ae about spot on with everthing br the responsiveness (improved anyway) and abnormal AI in defence.

With regard to reponse times, what matters is the relative reponse times of your players compared with that of the cpu team. The cpu players have unrealistically quick response times whilst your guys are clearly slower.

As far as I'm concerned, it's as much that the cpu players reponse times are too quick as your guys being too slow.

Also, the physics is pretty weird at times. There are strange moments when everything seems to sudednly go really fast for a second, then settles down again. And the players collisions are often pretty poor.

Can't say I'm feeling part of the FIFA love-in. For me, it's more of an adequate-in.

i think the speed is fine for me, they just need to get the response times right to have it spot on. about the deffenc i wouldn't mind playing it as it is, as i like the game 2 be difficult.
anyways here its my first fifa08 vid.
i scored both goals with barca, by just using long throw ball in the same match.
i don't know about u guys but i am starting to score some nice goals this way by just using long throw balls, ofcourse u need lots of practice, to get the hang of it, & the timing needs to be preefect, but it was nice to see, that u can score this way, as i use to love using them in pes.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nVkymo_McM8
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XwBYXgvUYKY

Last edited:

Great to read this thread guys, I hadn't visited since page 209 and is good to read all 3 pages at once and get various opinions and facts :)

Thanks for the info about Manager Mode to all those who posted it, sounds good really, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it :) Will have to be Charlton for me - (I may actually win something in the first season!).

Just one more question on Manager Mode and the transfers, can you set the transfers and player growth to Off? So that there would be no transfers at all and no growth, just like playing Seasons with teams the same. Sometimes I feel this is better, as when the CPU is doing transfers galore it can get unrealistic :(

And another video from me, not a great goal, but I read that the goalkeepers would be affected if they saw the ball late on, or got wrong footed, and both of these happen in this video! Nice to see line of sight does have an affect as the goalie saw Ze Roberto's shot really late and could only tip it away to Toni :) Another nice touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kUeGsRgWAw

is the manager/career mode in the next gen versions included or not? the official fact sheet on the fifa blog does not mention it. in the current gen facts it is mentioned! this makes me worry.

It's only not mentioned in the fact sheet because they want to push all the other stuff, Be A Pro and all that. Management mode IS in next-gen, confirmed, with promotion relegation and playoffs (all accurate apart from a few leagues, the Dutch league is one of them, due to the complicated nature of the playoffs there).

"If anyone new to Fifa wants to ask any specific Q's about the manager mode please feel free"

All i need to know is will be get money at the end of the seasons for doing something great like being promoted or winning cups because on fifa 07 (ps2) i never ever got a penny as torquay when i won he premiership, champ league, english cupsand got promotion.

I think my clubs owner was dodgy!

Check this skill out I did Ronaldinho trick

did you have to score a goal to record that because I managed to do 5 in a row and fluffed my shot lol no one will believe me till i can score but ive only done 5 in a row twice.

And its called Round The World if you didnt know

All i need to know is will be get money at the end of the seasons for doing something great like being promoted or winning cups because on fifa 07 (ps2) i never ever got a penny as torquay when i won he premiership, champ league, english cupsand got promotion.

I think my clubs owner was dodgy!

Yeah I really hope that's fixed, because 07 PS2 was so easy I used to play with fixed challenges for myself which was that I stuck with the default Sheffield Wednesday team + young prospects my scouts find, because you don't get any prize money/season ticket money what I'd do to get revenue is sign players on bosmans then sell them right away :)

Just one more question on Manager Mode and the transfers, can you set the transfers and player growth to Off? So that there would be no transfers at all and no growth, just like playing Seasons with teams the same. Sometimes I feel this is better, as when the CPU is doing transfers galore it can get unrealistic :(

Pretty sure there was no such option in 07 PS2.

yeah mate I had to score, i managed 4 before but arsed the shot up lol

did you have to score a goal to record that because I managed to do 5 in a row and fluffed my shot lol no one will believe me till i can score but ive only done 5 in a row twice.

And its called Round The World if you didnt know

even if u dont score right after a trick just run up and do a easy goal the replay records for a long time before the goal so u can go back and find what u did

I've been thinking about this Human reaction times vs Cpu reaction times. I do think they react a lot quicker than they should. I'm having trouble getting by slow defenders with Ronaldo of all people. In PES I do the sidestep, boom, I'm gone. Here it gets frustrating sometimes, should be something like 10% or 15% quicker.

Also, does anybody else think that the Trick stick should be used in two ways like me?

1) Like it is now, you do the moves according to the direction you're facing.

2) Like PES, whatever direction you're facing if you press down-up on the stick you lift the ball.

You should be given the option me thinks.

Because the way it is now it's real fu**in hard to pull the right tricks when you're not faced directly to goal. Anyone else shares my pain? :)

...eu.

the players responsiveness to attack the ball when you do a longer pass is also too slow. my cpu partner is always antecipated by the opposite team. is there an "pes-r2" that can help me with this?

no supercancel here, too?

is there an option to let the ball go, like in pes6? the players always lock the ball first before doing anything else... i loved that feature in pes6: R1+ direction where the ball is heading... dreamy. i'm missing it already.

I thought the Goal keepers were good when I started playing the demo, but now i see they seldom come for crosses that are right in front of them, and the strikers just jump and score while the keepers run in circles. Also Free Kicks as long as they are on target they go in. I hope these two things are fixed in the final retail version.

Recieved a response from Joe Booth regarding goalkeeper AI and the blogs:

The goalkeeping AI has been tweaked since the demo build, should find that they are a little more repsonsive.

As for the blogs, he will look into it and will get back to me once FIFA 08 has been released. Told me that EA are very grateful the work other people do to promote their series. (Sounds promising lads.)

It was a very short email, but i thanked him for his time.

Back
Top Bottom