FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Argos have got Halo 3 in today and have sold it to some people. I wonder if they have FIFA 08 :)

Bah, they don't even have FIFA 08 on their website.

The injuries sound good, the fact you don't have to completely wanker somebody to get injured is a positive. Hopefully we won't get major injuries in Career mode though!

I haven't played a FIFA Career mode at all, so could somebody just give a basic outline for those of us with no Career experience on FIFA?

Assuming it's similar to Fifa07 current gen it's pretty basic, create your manager, choose your team, choose your sponsorship for that year, first match will be first league match, you have that 1 month do transfers before the "window" closes, once it's closed you cannot buy/loan/sell players until the January transfer window.

Assuming you're in the English league you'll challenge for your respective league prem/champ/league 1 or 2, as well as League and FA cups, if you're in the prem and qualified you'll also play in either the UEFA or European cup, there might be a Super cup but I can't remember.

Transfers are annoying because you only have a certain amount of "bids", so for example 5 means you can bid for 3 players to buy and transfer list 2 of your players, 3+2=5, yes it's a crap annoying system so I really hope it's improved.

There is some club/stadium advancement things you can do, basically improve a number of your backroom staff (costs £ per level increase), physio, attack coach, defense coach, scout, youth team coach, stadium (to increase gate revenue), can't remember the full list but it's just a case of choosing what you want to improve that you have the spare cash for.

You have a boardroom satisfaction rating, a supporter satisfaction rating and a team err what's the word? Cohesion rating or something (basically the more the first 11 play together the more it improves), obviously winning makes the board and fans happy, selling a player the fans like can make them unhappy, at certain times you get asked multiple choice questions which if you get right will make the board or fans happy, or bring you in a little extra cash, get them wrong and the board or fans will lose a little of their happiness.

At the end of the season you can of course be promoted/relegated if applicable, there should be English playoffs for promotion but waiting on confirmation of that.

You'll get the choice to either stay with your current club after each season or if you say no you can pick a new club, 07 PS2 had no job market as such, if you get fired it's game over.

After each match the player's will gain experience which in turn gives you points you can use to improve them in certain areas, young players earn more than older players of course, you can save up the points to "buy" a key skill eg add certain abilities, or remove existing negative abilities (for example save up some points and remove Owen's injury prone stat). Older players will retire, new youth players will be promoted from the academy and you can decide whether to sign them as pros or not, sometimes the parents of the kid will tell you to bugger off cos they want their lil Jonny so sign for a better club or something ;)

All in all compared to say FM it's a rudimentary manager mode, but compared to the ML we all know and pretty much despise (after playing for 12 years ;)) it's pretty sweet, certainly the choice of so many leagues and teams means there's lots of nice little challenges, for me and Jack it's a dream because we can be the team we support, for other people a challenge such as taking Grimsby from League 2 to Champions League glory in only 15 seasons can be quite fun :)

I'm probably forgetting a few things but others can add more :)

If anyone new to Fifa wants to ask any specific Q's about the manager mode please feel free :)

Ok, about purchasing this game. Now I'm a little confused on where I should get it. Some people I guess are saying that ShopTo is not that reliable. Is that true? Should I stick with them or go with Play.com?

Regarding Argos and Halo on the website it says available Monday to collect.

Quite a few people have had it saying they could pick up today, have gone and picked it up and have posted photos, videos, receipts etc. All the ones near me are only showing Monday tho. Not that I have the money til next Friday anyway :roll:

I've ordered once from shopto.com and they were pretty quick. Ordered from Play a few times but they have been slow at times. I've heard good stuff from ShopTo so I'd go for them mate.

Am i right in saying that in previous last gen versions that you had international call ups?.

Yeah that's something I forgot, you'll see a newspaper headline saying something like "Big match coming up England v Spain", then a week or so later will be the match and if you have any English or Spanish international class players they might be called up, but your match doesn't get postponed so you have to deal with it, fortunately I'll be managing Sheffield Wednesday so I won't have that problem ;)

One massively annoying bug from 06 and 07 career mode, you often have to play 2 matches on the same day if you progress in the cups, so you'll play a cup match and a league match on the same day, so other than the goalkeeper who apparently can play two matches just fine you have to rotate your whole squad, you can also get matches on consecutive days, I had a league game on the Saturday then a cup final on the Sunday, that was fun ;) Hopefully this bug is fixed by now, if not it'd be a real pisser, as not only is it a current gen bug it's a current gen bug from 2 versions ago.

There are other bugs that made it through from current gen to next gen 07/UCL but I'm sure you don't want to be bored by those ;)

@ Placebo,

are there no job offers in the manager mode? So say youve reached all the boardroom goals and its the summer, can you get an offer from another club to become their manager? And then decide to saty or go. Or are you just free to go to any club?

For those with more questions and no access to the fifa board, here's the official FAQ:

Manager Mode Specific

All Versions

How many seasons can you play through?
15 seasons.

Will there be awards i.e. “Player of the Year”, “Man of the Match” etc.?
There is a team of the season. Man of the match is also there (and available in every game mode).

Is the Champions League licensed (all aspects, including the official CL music)?
No it is not as the license it used for a different football title altogether.

Will crucial games (cup-finals for example) be any different from other games?
Unfortunately not this year.

Will it be possible to manage international teams?
Unfortunately not this year.

Is it possible to view the results and standings of leagues other than the one in which you are playing?
No.

Will team’s third kits be un-lockable?
Yes. We’ll have over 30 unlockable kits this year.

Does winning tournaments and leagues earn you money?
Yes. Depending on the sponsor you have selected, you can win bonuses for winning tournaments and winning the league.

Will computer controlled teams bid for players realistically?
Yes. The CPU will try and improve their own team given their given budget.

Will computer controlled teams be managed realistically (and not abuse star players)?
Yes it can try. The CPU will attempt to and rotate the lineups if any players (star players included) become too fatigued to play.

Will loaned players gain experience and will their stats improve?
Yes. In fact, this is one of the better ways to improve your own players; loan them out for 1 season so that they can grow and then they can return to you as better players.

Will teams spend the money that they receive from transfers on upgrading their squad?
Yes. When economically feasible the CPU will attempt and improve their squad.

Will the fans support fluctuate depending on transfers?
No. Fan support is mainly based on how the squad fares in the league/tournament and how you as the Manager Deal with the press (through memos and interviews).

Will board expectations be more realistic (appropriate)?
Board expectations are the same as they were in 07. As we have more leagues, the expectations vary from club to club and will be more demanding in the User plays with a team from the top leagues.

Will the MLS be structured realistically (two conferences and play-offs)?
Unfortunately not. This is not a supported structure at this time but it is something we’re looking forward to implementing for the next iteration of FIFA.

Will the SPL be structured realistically (after 33 games, the top and bottom 6 “split”)?
Unfortunately not. This is not a supported structure at this time but it is something we’re looking forward to implementing for the next iteration of FIFA.

Will the Dutch leagues be structured realistically (with play-offs)?

Next-Gen - PS3 & 360

Are pre-season friendlies and training modes in Manager Mode?
No, there are no pre-season friendlies or training sessions.

Is there a “Create-a-Club” option?
No there isn’t.

Is player growth more restricted (a player with 99 overall stats is unrealistic)?
Players will not be able to easily reach 99 on their own. If the User decides to manually grow players and know how attributes work for a specific player’s position, they may be able to grow some players to a 99 overall faster than if player growth is left on automatic (option).

Do players still have “exclusive” growth (whereby they only reach certain attributes when playing in the player controlled team)?
This was never a feature of NG. All players on all teams grow as you play through Manager Mode.

Here's also a link to a guide:

http://guides.gamepressure.com/fifa07/guide.asp?ID=1432

Last edited:

I've ordered once from shopto.com and they were pretty quick. Ordered from Play a few times but they have been slow at times. I've heard good stuff from ShopTo so I'd go for them mate.

I guess I'll give ShopTo a try. Anyone from the US ordered from them before? And if you did how long did it take to get it with the fastest option?

@ Placebo,

are there no job offers in the manager mode? So say youve reached all the boardroom goals and its the summer, can you get an offer from another club to become their manager? And then decide to saty or go. Or are you just free to go to any club?

Nope you're free to stay with your current club or manage any club of your choosing.

Obviously it'd be great if there was some kind of realism option whereby you could only manage say a 1* team until you'd built up enough credibility for yourself and then you get job offers, maybe next year :)

Those player prices look ridiculous!

Diarra for £880k?
Mark Gonzalez £1.5m?
Stephen Ireland £1.2m?

All should be priced more expensively.

Edit: Just noticed another screen. Why is David Weir still at Everton? Didn't he move to Scotland last summer? Yobo is £3.9m but Lescott is only £1.7m? And Everton has £12m to spend, with that money they could buy a new squad! Hopefully we can fix up a lot of stuff, but I reckon transfer fees are coded to be low anyway :(

Last edited by a moderator:

That guide is from Fifa07 which was released in September 2006? I think whinging about specific details of 07 is a little "horse has bolted" ya know? ;)

Pfff I was wondering why the guide had training pictures :)

That guide is from Fifa07 which was released in September 2006? I think whinging about specific details of 07 is a little "horse has bolted" ya know? ;)

Yeah, didn't know it was about 07;)

But I hope it will be in. Always fun to check out all leagues. See who's scoring a lot, see who will qualify for the CL.

Just to clarify, before anymore posts come up. Its a guide to fifa07 current gen, which will likely be very close to fifa08 NG.

@ Placebo,

shame about the manager job offers. Would have been a really cool feature. Guess ill just set a limit for myself. Reach the goals and win promotion/league and then i can move up a star/league. And continue till i can become manager of liverpool :D

Yeah, didn't know it was about 07;)

But I hope it will be in. Always fun to check out all leagues. See who's scoring a lot, see who will qualify for the CL.

No the quote you took is from 08, you cannot see standings and scorers and such from all other leagues, which indeed is a big, big shame, I'd be more than happy to have a "processing other scores" after each of my matches so that we can then have proper simulated matches in the world around us.

We also have to remember EA do publish a football management game so they unfortunately will never, ever add ooddles of management stuff sadly :(

I guess what would be nice is if they could find some way to merge the two games, so if you want only playable football you buy Fifa, if you want only a management game you buy Premier Manager or whatever their management game is called, but if you want a management game where you actually play your matches you buy both, I think that'd be worth £60 or whatever of anyone's money? :)

ShopTo question. How do I checkout on a pre order? It says I don't have to check out now because it's a pre order. I want to setup my shipping method and everything.

No the quote you took is from 08, you cannot see standings and scorers and such from all other leagues, which indeed is a big, big shame, I'd be more than happy to have a "processing other scores" after each of my matches so that we can then have proper simulated matches in the world around us.

We also have to remember EA do publish a football management game so they unfortunately will never, ever add ooddles of management stuff sadly :(

I guess what would be nice is if they could find some way to merge the two games, so if you want only playable football you buy Fifa, if you want only a management game you buy Premier Manager or whatever their management game is called, but if you want a management game where you actually play your matches you buy both, I think that'd be worth £60 or whatever of anyone's money? :)

Couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom