FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I think this is the ultimate in pickiness! I mean ... wow. How often do you see a players neck? :lmao:

Whatever floats your boat mate :)

He, he I know, but after playing pes for so many years, and hundreds of hours of editing I guess you can get very picky :8): Its a small detail I know but seems all other kits looks great and with correct details..

Anyone else finding an annoying delaying between pressing a kick button (shoot/pass) and the event actually occuring...just long enough for the cpu to nip in and steal the ball? Smells a bit of cpu cheats.
GOOD SPOT. I've been noticing that as well, you press to cross and you know the CPU's going to intercept it if your player takes one more step than usual. That's a worry as well, although interestingly, I don't think of it as a CPU cheat, I see it as the only way the programming can work (as it has to happen every time you lose the ball, it's how a game works, just not obviously enough for you to notice and feel cheated). And yet when I see it in PES I think of it as a cheat and I feel outraged. Perhaps I am a fanboy after all, or perhaps it's the years upon years of it happening so obviously in PES.

Hopefully though, the improved response times mean that it's not noticeable in the final product. It's the first time I've ever seen anything like that in a game other than PES.

GOOD SPOT. I've been noticing that as well, you press to cross and you know the CPU's going to intercept it if your player takes one more step than usual. That's a worry as well, although interestingly, I don't think of it as a CPU cheat, I see it as the only way the programming can work (as it has to happen every time you lose the ball, it's how a game works, just not obviously enough for you to notice and feel cheated). And yet when I see it in PES I think of it as a cheat and I feel outraged. Perhaps I am a fanboy after all, or perhaps it's the years upon years of it happening so obviously in PES.

Hopefully though, the improved response times mean that it's not noticeable in the final product. It's the first time I've ever seen anything like that in a game other than PES.

Well isnt that more af a cheat for the ai on fifa than on PES? if thats the way it can ONLY work for the players and the ai dont have that problem, it is a cheat, as we cant use it to our advantage, I find it annoying too, the animation is too slow, due to the response or whatever, and lose the ball, or is blocked, on PES I dont have the problem, I never have felt cheated on PES, besides when they score some stupidly amazing goals in the last minute, to win or equalise! Damn them!

About that goalkeeper video (the real one), I bet you can do that in Fifa and PES if you wanted ;) with PES you definately can, well something similar atleast, give the keeper the ball, fluff up a 360, there you go, similar, mess up a step over etc, thats realistic, you dont see keepers run to the ball, and then dive 2 seconds later, when the ball has passed them etc.

I have grown tired of PES cheatings over the years, not only with those last minute equalisers out of nowhere, but also with your players simply NOT moving at all because the computer HAS to get the ball, or the poorly cheated deflections, in the box or at the sideline (isn't it strange for you that they are always the same angle and speed?).

Besides, I assume you have played PES6 on the 360: it has almost the same lack of responsiveness than this demo. Only difference is that you have payed 60€ for PES6 on the 360, and it was not fixed before release.

Oh and I am forgetting the "super-defenders" whole issue, when you go past a defender and it magically turns 180 and closes in to steal the ball even when you are running full speed with Henry. Most of us know very well what it is all about, cheating at its best...

And in 2008, it is not football anymore, it is pure Bowling and sliding running animations... I am very dissapointed.

Anyway, this is a FIFA thread...

In the end, I realize that we are becoming VERY picky with a DEMO, that surely means that EA have done it VERY well this year and a bit more polish to the final build will make it the only true next-gen football game (with its flaws, of course).

Im sorry if this has been mentioned but this thread moves faster than a rocket car.

In be a pro mode - are we going to be able to create ourselves and play out our own careers or are we only allowed to play as real world footballers?

And can we sign with other teams and do more than just play the games with a gimmicky camera?

Fantasista has spoilt me

Very well said Sunwong. There were just some games on PES where you were never going to score, no matter what you did. Players missing open goals from the 6 yard box, I recall. Filth.

Im sorry if this has been mentioned but this thread moves faster than a rocket car.

In be a pro mode - are we going to be able to create ourselves and play out our own careers or are we only allowed to play as real world footballers?

And can we sign with other teams and do more than just play the games with a gimmicky camera?

Fantasista has spoilt me

Not in Next Gen version there no kind of league only friendlys have to wait until Fifa 09. :( No Co Op either but its in current gen which is annoying.

No Fantasista in PES 2008 at least EA have tried to build stepping stone for next gen.

The 5v5 online will be good enough for the time being, even if it is just friendlies :)

so be a pro is just a dick around extra?

Well that's a huge let down for me - i had been hoping for a real gamemode - i mean 'Be a Pro' sounds like you take on the career of a pro or become a pro yourself.

But it basically means you're forced into being one player only.... in friendly matches... but i can be more than 1 pro all the time anyway!

and loads of pros are better than just 1 pro.

Damn... be a Pro sounds shit now!

Very well said Sunwong. There were just some games on PES where you were never going to score, no matter what you did. Players missing open goals from the 6 yard box, I recall. Filth.

The last minute script always use to piss me when you had pummeled a team for 89 minutes, you hit the post, and you just know that they will go and score.

FIFA's demo is excellent but to think that the final game is superior can only mean great things are still to come outa this beauty.

The keepers have been ok on my crosses, but the cpu freekick 25-30 yard goals are like penalties if you give away a freekick in that area, but other than that I cannot really complain.

I think it's just a teaser for next year. Nice that they included it now to show us what they can do and what they'll be working on. They could've just left it out and not told anyone, nobody would've said anything. So it's cool they gave us the option of fooling around in single player games at least :)

so be a pro is just a dick around extra?

Well that's a huge let down for me - i had been hoping for a real gamemode - i mean 'Be a Pro' sounds like you take on the career of a pro or become a pro yourself.

But it basically means you're forced into being one player only.... in friendly matches... but i can be more than 1 pro all the time anyway!

and loads of pros are better than just 1 pro.

Damn... be a Pro sounds shit now!
The Be A Pro mode is called "Be A Pro: Offline Training" in FIFA 08 next-gen. You can only play friendlies with it for now, no career mode with it until FIFA 09 at the earliest. They just wanted to show what was possible, with the camera and your position guide etc., rather than leave it out entirely.

But they have said a patch will be available shortly after release that enables 5v5 online play using Be A Pro, so it's not all bad news.

i don't know about u guys, but i am scared to switch my xbox360 on, cos if i do, i ll be glued playing fia08 non stop, but the good news is the more i play this game more i like it,
that's the only feeling i had by only just played pes, & now playing this demo, its giving me the same buzz,
& that is coming from someone whu never liked fifa games, simple coz the past games where very repeatetiv, & boring with no deepth & variation in terms of gameplay & controll, till now thanx got for that, it's about time when ea realised that the gameplay its important.
the gameplay now it feels freesh, deep, & vary random with lots of variations, fifa for the first time feels & plays like football sim, ea has done great job this year.

what i don't like the most is the replay camera, the speedy animation mixed with bad 30fps frame rate, it kills the action & the animation, if it was done the same way as in pes, it would have been classic, oh well we can't have everything at once i gues.
first i need it to try the demo, to see if i ll buy it
now i am convinced, can't wait for the game to come out.

Last edited:

Bad news for those of us not in USA/EU and thus not getting Be A Pro 5v5 :(
Ah yeah, forgot about that. I wonder what the reasoning is...

its the game at 85-90% completion(asked one of the producers)
Someone has just offered me a quote on MSN from Joe Booth apparently, saying that the defence is less than 50% complete on the demo, so... :eh: This is why I don't usually quote stats, because half of the time they differ wildly, even from different people working on the game itself.

The worst of all that this happens online too! Konami just seems to pick someone who is going to win the match. You have to walk the ball into the goal to score in some matches! Shot bars going sky high after just a tiny tiny touch in front of an open goal.

Disgusting. With the arcade speed, it's my biggest letdown of PES6.

Anyway, just have to say another time how revolutionary manual passing is. It changes the way of playing football games. Hard to find patterns now:applause:

Back
Top Bottom