FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

JB the only thing I would love to Know when you get your Promo copy is, have they improved the response times of your control over the players... I have had a quick (1 half) bash on a mates PS3 demo, and it still felt at times my player was going through the set graphic or just straight delayed at times...

I know I compare the two and it's wrong, and I know this happens in PES too, but it does seem fairly regular on the demo... yes I know I played it for a matter of Min's. But a few people have brought it up and there has been talk from those that have somehow played the final build, that this has been improved, I'm doubtful they can have altered this...

so that's the long winded question Jack... Is it hand on heart, more responsive.... If you say yes, I'll order a copy and open my PS3....

passing : Assisted
Through pass: assisted
lob pass : asssited
shooting : assisted
crossing : semi

thats mine

and its fine for me i score alot of goal 2-3 goals a game...

its all down to personal preference but manual on everything in this game wont work for me ever

too assisted for me...

i use

passing : semi-assisted
Through pass: manual
lob pass : manual
shooting : manual
crossing : manual

:)

3-4 days till i hopefully get my copy god i cant wait ;P

They send you a free copy because you were in the FIWC?

Finally got the demo and played a few games last night and another few this morning. Can't say I'm exactly blown away by it. It's certainly an improvement on any previous FIFA I've tried but still has that iffy, light-weight FIFA physics feel.

The experience wasn't helped by the fact that I was trying to adjust to the new controls but I found myself with Jack's (and other's) problem of not scoring any goals and barely creating chances. That will come with practise but for all that the AI on both sides does some good things (and a few bad things), I share Jack's fear that every team in the game will have a near perfect, well-drilled, deep-sitting defense that are very quick to respond, in contrast to the sluggish response of your guys.

The main positives so far are the lovely free passes, good ball defelctions, decent AI and looking forward to the careeer mode in the full game.

Not convinced this game is a world beater, though.

They send you a free copy because you were in the FIWC?

yes only people in the actual tournament who sent a reply back some people i guess didnt get e-mails

but only if you were in the actual finals in amsterdam

The FIWC were a joke anyway, I seen clips and everybody was just glitching lol

JB the only thing I would love to Know when you get your Promo copy is, have they improved the response times of your control over the players... I have had a quick (1 half) bash on a mates PS3 demo, and it still felt at times my player was going through the set graphic or just straight delayed at times...

I know I compare the two and it's wrong, and I know this happens in PES too, but it does seem fairly regular on the demo... yes I know I played it for a matter of Min's. But a few people have brought it up and there has been talk from those that have somehow played the final build, that this has been improved, I'm doubtful they can have altered this...

so that's the long winded question Jack... Is it hand on heart, more responsive.... If you say yes, I'll order a copy and open my PS3....
I've been told by Suff, who has played the final version of the game, that the demo is unplayable once you've played the release version - apparently response times are unrecognisable from the demo, they are improved a hell of a lot. Bear in mind EA were aiming for a late August release for the demo, and from the looks of things it was worked on for at least a month - so you can safely assume the demo code is almost two months old. One of Suff's biggest complaints from the older games was the response times, and he's told me that he's very happy with the responses in the final version.

But I will give the promo a test drive and comment on the response times, obviously. My biggest hope is that the defences are easier for easier teams rather than being rock-solid for everybody, and that the referees and free-kicks are improved (that bug of "CPU scores every free kick" is still there in the demo, and that's what put me off FIFA 07 and UEFA in the end).

Played the demo some more.

I'm getting used to the responsiveness of the controls even if they are not immediate.

I have everything assisted though as semi-pro seems to be super defense assisted.

Please anyone that scores a copy early or on the 28th tell this poor lad if the rookie setting is any easier and do they pressure you as much...

suppose, I know you finesse a lot but that doesnt bother me, but speed glitching takes the piss, especially in a big tourny like that

I have my settings as follows:

Passing : Semi
Through: Manual
Shooting : Semi
Crossing : Semi
Lob Pass: Manual

Mine are all on manual, its a lot harder but more rewarding when you score or hit a 40 yard diagonal long ball

Same as you Tim, although I'm switching through-pass between Manual and Semi a lot. I keep forgetting it's manual and not aiming properly, PES doesn't half teach you to be lazy.

Ive gone Manual all the way through except shooting.

The shooting is just too hard to put it on Manual!

Do players pass differently, everyone seems to have the exact same immediate skill in passing, they all pass the same, to the same accuracy and to the same power as far as I can see, same with shooting :S

Im getting annoyed, not terribly but it is annoying, once you score, it has like say Zambrotta jumping punching the air, even though Henry scores, then its Henry that comes over to Zambrotta, it should be the other way atleast, celebrations arent very good though, goes of to a black screen and stuff, doesnt flow, kinds of ruins the scoring feel for me anyway.

Also why do the keepers do the tip toe thing pretty much all the time, I never noticed it in a real game before, and even then, when I go in goal, I never do it, if anything, I re adjust my feet on the tip toes, but not all the time, I thought it was more of a heel lift than a tip toe motion. But I might be wrong with this, as I dont observe the real pro keepers much.

Im getting annoyed, not terribly but it is annoying, once you score, it has like say Zambrotta jumping punching the air, even though Henry scores, then its Henry that comes over to Zambrotta

I have noticed this too, it's bizarre and very annoying, as it's a simple thing, that takes away from the game :(

I actually start to think who did I score with aswell haha!

They might of changed it in the final game... :D

Passing : Manual
Through: Semi/Manual dependinh on how I feel :)
Shooting : Manual
Crossing : Manual/Semi also depends if I can be bothered to change it.
Lob Pass: Manual

Find it simple enough, my shots tend to do the same as what I do with semi and assisted :)

Last edited:

I've been told by Suff, who has played the final version of the game, that the demo is unplayable once you've played the release version - apparently response times are unrecognisable from the demo, they are improved a hell of a lot. Bear in mind EA were aiming for a late August release for the demo, and from the looks of things it was worked on for at least a month - so you can safely assume the demo code is almost two months old. One of Suff's biggest complaints from the older games was the response times, and he's told me that he's very happy with the responses in the final version.

But I will give the promo a test drive and comment on the response times, obviously. My biggest hope is that the defences are easier for easier teams rather than being rock-solid for everybody, and that the referees and free-kicks are improved (that bug of "CPU scores every free kick" is still there in the demo, and that's what put me off FIFA 07 and UEFA in the end).

Interestingly, whilst I share your hope for lesser teams to have more vulnerable defences, my experience so far on the PS3 demo is that the referees seem ok (I got booked within 5 seconds of starting my first ever match by accidentally slide-tackling someone - presed the wrong botton). I've had plenty more deserved bookings and the cpu has had a few. Likewise, the cpu has had a few direct-free-kicks and either my keeper has pulled off a fine save, or they missed the target.

I'm also hoping the lesser teams are less pixel-perfect with passing. I've barely seen a stray pass from the cpu, with the exception of a few crosses that have curled out for a goal-kick.

Anyone else finding an annoying delaying between pressing a kick button (shoot/pass) and the event actually occuring...just long enough for the cpu to nip in and steal the ball? Smells a bit of cpu cheats. Hopefully this is included as part of the purported reduced reponse times in the final version.

Back
Top Bottom