FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

I must say, it does make a change you guys having to wait a bit longer. We usually have to wait months! I think Super Paper Mario took six months! What would you and Gomito done if it was delayed for six months?

sell my US 360 and get a PAL one..(you can get them quite cheap here in brazil) ;)

anyway i still have a slight hope that it will also come out the 27th sep. here in brazil... specially now that MS is ofiically realising their games here... i know for a fact that almost every PC version of FIFA was realised easrlier here by EA...its aways something like a week earlier then the rest of the world... not sure about this ttime though. they havnet evan annouced the 360/ps3 version.. only the pc version.

Last edited:

This is my first post after playing the demo and I can honestly say I'm absolutely blown away by it. For the first time in any football game since SWOS there is liberating sense of freedom about FIFA 08.

I've been playing this demo non-stop with all the assists set to manual (except passing set to semi). I'm impressed by the way you can play pretty much any style of football you want, the fact that you can weight and direct every pass, through-ball and shot exactly how you like, free of scripting. I love the tempo and the AI, which seems to play with a degree of intelligence.

Most importantly, I'm after a good single player experience and FIFA gives me that, PES doesn't - simple as that.

I've as good as made up my mind that FIFA 08 is the one and only football game for me this year. So much so that I've cancelled my PES2008 pre-order. I will try the demo before considering PES from now on, rather than just buying it blindly. And I'm a hardcore PES fan, whose followed the series for 10 years and not bought a FIFA game since 2000.

Another loyal fan who is jumping from the sinking Seabass ship.

Adonis won't be very impressed with me but I have to agree - mostly. I don't think what you say quite applies to Adonis, he genuinely wants to know what the fuss is about when he can't understand it, especially since WENB are expanding (even if he's not going to be editor of the new site). But I think if you don't like a game, you don't like it, and anyone (even a group of people) can tell you a million times it's a better game and more of a simulation, but it won't make you like it.

I've been waiting for a next-gen rally game for ages, so when Colin McRae DiRT came out, I was looking forward to it. Only to be really, really disappointed - you play Forza and it feels real, then you switch to DiRT and it's like, how can a car handle like this? It's like driving a fish across ice. But several magazines said that it was realistic, that this is how it feels to drive a rally car. But I hated it.

The Sega Rally demo is out now on Xbox Live and I absolutely hate that as well. I'm patiently waiting for a realistic rally game and I don't know how long it's going to be, but I can't just play a game and settle for second-best - which is why, after the FIFA 07 demo was released this time last year, I was put off PES for life.

I'd just got in from playing football (on a rare occasion actually), and I'd had a real laugh. Then I downloaded this demo, put it on, and when I was pressing buttons in the arena, I was literally getting a few goosebumps - the way that you had to weight everything, judge everything, aim everything, I was honestly shocked. It was probably the closest to real life I've ever felt a computer game has been, and it was a different world to PES, so much so that when I put PES on now I can almost see the rails that the players live on, and I know the path that the ball will take before the game does - despite the fact that I want to do something different, but I can't adapt to the (stupid, in my opinion) method of manual passing. Even when I do try it, it's virtually the same. As someone said before, if you blur a video of FIFA, it looks like real life (whereas you blur PES and it looks like a blurred video game) - and that isn't just impressive graphically, it's impressive because it's you that's moving the players and it's not a CGI or anything. So, I find the movement and control better in FIFA.

If I go and put PES on now, six-star, I can score a goal and win by attacking like wild animals. Fuck the defence, throw every man forward, run and run and run (keep your finger glued to sprint, it makes no difference). I might concede but I'll almost definitely score. If I do that on this FIFA 08 demo, not only do the defenders lock you out, the gaps you leave are mercilessly taken advantage of (and even if you play a multiplayer game, you only control one man at a time, so 90% of your team will be controlled by the AI). So, I find the tactical game better in FIFA.

Thanks to how hard it is to score, but because of the CPU defenders playing well rather than resorting to pulls and magic/magnetism now and then, I find the goal satisfaction better in FIFA.

The game also has my team - something you can't identify with if you're a supporter of a big team, you really can't (imagine PES only had the Brazilian top-flight, no other leagues, so you have to play as a team you know nothing about and don't really care about, even if the teams are extremely talented - and you still don't know how it feels). You can say gameplay is the most important all you want, but if you're playing as Crixeiro v Palas and you score a goal with Pinito (i.e. names that mean nothing to you), are you honestly going to enjoy it as much? But it's not just lower league teams, it's teams from all around the world, so you'll never run out of things to do (leagues, cups, winning them all in the career mode, making a name for yourself)...

Don't you get bored of winning the same competitions that you won when the first PES game was released, with the same teams it has now? Even in multiplayer (offline and online), I don't understand how it doesn't get boring.

Even PES fans have said for years "yeah well FIFA may have everything but it doesn't have the one thing that matters, gameplay" - well now, in my opinion, it has (and in the opinion of several hardcore PES fans' as well, which says it all to me - notice that for the past week or so there's been 50% of the users in the PES section compared to the Other Football Games section). So for me personally, PES is dead and buried, and after ten years of repetition and backwards-and-forwards "improvements", with vital ideas being totally disregarded, it's about fucking time. But it's not quite over yet.

If the final version of FIFA is littered with bugs, and it may well be because of the amount of changes they've made (especially online where the slightest thing can be exploited), then it will still have work to do before most PES fans will convert. But if it doesn't, and they genuinely have people testing the game online after release looking for exploits which they will then patch (as EA have officially said - which is another point, look at the community features EA are implementing and the work that they are doing on this), then I will be a very happy bunny come next month.

PES/WE has always had one advantage. That being your ability to put the ball anywhere on goal. Fifa 07,08 have now turned to more contextual placing9which in itself is more realistic).

Thats about it though. PES/WE was ingenius on PS2 and GC Xbox respectively, but NOT on 360 yet or for that matter when it gets to PS3.

Personally I just wanna easier difficulty setting so that i can just shoot around. IF the rookiew setting isn't forgiving i won't be buying ANY soccer title this year

i've noticied that if you change players to different positions in the formation set, his atributtes changing to...
s, if you put eto in the midfield, his atributtes get very low!!!
very cool!!!!!

finally get the demo and i´m really loving it!!!
one thing that i don´t like very much is the CPU never use offside tatic, so i think that defense players get much close to the area all the time...
get very difficult to manage a good long ball...
i hope that in the final version, teams that plays much deep in your own area being punished with shoots from midle range...
this will bring much more variety in the way that people and CPU acts in the defense...
overall demo is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after playing WE for 6 years, i really am happy with this game...
i really get sad my english is not very god because there is so many great things in this demo that i would love to coment here with you guys, but some times i can´t express me very well in english...
and i playing with everything on manual, only short pass in semi and after playing 13 hours, i only score 2 times...
it´s very difficult but much more enjoying play in manual mode...
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEATTT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
game is a very good simulation

I was wondering if there was any backheels in the game, or little flicks. Then I had a game with Imbrahimovic, flicks and backheels galore. He isnt the quickest of guys but he has some fucking ace backheels etc up his sleeve. Starting to manage at least 3 shots a half now with differnt teams and differnt tactics :)

Coopz, how do you turn the camera angle on a replay? Right stick to change angle is greyed out on my replays, so I can only change the camera with X but not actually spin the camera around.

Halo is released on Wednesday (which is odd) 26th and FIFA on Friday 28th. A lot of people. I'm not a Halo fanatic but I dont mind the single-player story so I'll grab it for that. Wont bother with the multi-player, that's where COD4, WarHawk and R6V come in :)
Games with a Friday release date are always available on the wednesday before in some stores here in Holland. So I will play Fifa on the 26th.

Anyone know which high-street shop in the UK will sell FIFA the cheapest? I've got a feeling Gamestation will charge £50, but when I got my credit note the guy said they'll price-match. So if I get in at 9am Friday, I don't want to see it at £50 and find out Game had it for £39.99 or something.

Great save by the keeper, stopped a certain goal. Strange how FIFA was so crap for years and years, all of a sudden they've started producing FIFA 07 and onwards and are now showing AI nobody would've expected them to come up with two years ago.

the made their homework. 3 months ago I wouldnt believe that that I wont be buying PES this year and FIFA instead. But FIFA is like playing NBA2K7 now, while playing the new PES is like playing a PS2 game. konami missed the next gen train

What a save from the cross, the goalkeepers had me worried in some video's but they really are a step in the right direction, i think that is FIFA 08's new motto so far....

A HUGE STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Snoope - press Square once i think to change the camera and you can move it on there.

Its either the first time you change the camera or the second.

So... You've played the game?

All the signs point to PES 2008 being not to dis-similar to PES 6, obviously with some improvements but not a huge makeover. I feel, and I think others too, it would take more than some basic improvements to get PES 2008 to be better than FIFA 08.

They can start by slowing the game down from the arcade-speed. Once that slows down, and the pitch widens, it could be worth considering again.

I was wondering if there was any backheels in the game, or little flicks. Then I had a game with Imbrahimovic, flicks and backheels galore. He isnt the quickest of guys but he has some fucking ace backheels etc up his sleeve. Starting to manage at least 3 shots a half now with differnt teams and differnt tactics :)

I scored a really nice goal with Henry, he had his back to the goal about 5 yards out with a defender behind him, I crossed the ball into him, he jumped up and flicked the ball with his heel about 1m away from him, spun round away from the attacker to face the goal then I blasted it into the bottom corner :)

Snoope - press Square once i think to change the camera and you can move it on there.

Its either the first time you change the camera or the second.

Cheers mate, that'll help me with the dodgy free kicks and seeing goals from different angles to annoy my mate :)

I scored a really nice goal with Henry, he had his back to the goal about 5 yards out with a defender behind him, I crossed the ball into him, he jumped up and flicked the ball with his heel about 1m away from him, spun round away from the attacker to face the goal then I blasted it into the bottom corner :)

:shock:
Where's the replay?!

See that's what I really like about this game. Its like PES used to be when you were continually discovering new animations. FIFA is putting the fun back into football games.

I'm loving the feeling that we finally have a fresh new football game which is brilliant and gives PES some serious serious competition (and in my opinion shitting on it from a great height). The fact that even the die hard Pro Evo fans are loving it too is great. I really can't wait till next week.

Ive found my self not recording things now. Theres too many good things to record I cant be arsed stopping all the time. Xavi and some America player went for a header and the america player won the header and Xavi won the guys head. Looked sick. They both headed each other, fell over, done a roll, then played straight on. Hardknocks.

Quality :) Like someone said up above, or last page, it's the little things like that that we used to enjoy about PES. EA have really stepped up their game :) C'mon Konami, no excuses now. You slacked off because FIFA wasn't a threat, now it's more than a threat. Over to you :)

Back
Top Bottom