FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

hmmm im a little confused about this demo. it seems REALLY rough to me. the gameplay doesnt seem to really resemble real football. you guys really like it that much???

Het Amerikaanse tijdschrift Game Informer heeft zojuist

Gameinformer seems American to me.

Football is the national sport in Portugal, we live and breathe Football, unlike in the U.S. And you know that.

What have we won in the last 30 years? At international level lots of Under 21-20 titles, at club level a few European titles.

I'd say an average Portuguese knows a lot more about football than an average American. Don't you agree?

Edit: To get my point across, I don't trust British magazines when it comes to Basketball games, many a time I read reviews that started with the claim that the sport itself was boring compared to Football.

Last edited:

Gameinformer seems American to me.

Football is the national sport in Portugal, we live and breath Football, unlike in the U.S. And you know that.

What have we won in the last 30 years? At international level lots of Under 21-20 titles, at club level a few European titles.

I'd say an average Portuguese knows a lot more about football than an average American. Don't you agree?

Edit: To get my point across, I don't trust British magazines when it comes to Basketball games, many a time I read reviews that started with the claim that the sport itself was boring compared to Football.

fair enough, but programming and being a graphic artist have nothing to do with how well you know a sport but how well you can make a video game. shit i bet alot of the developers and artists on fifa
know more about comic books and graphic novels then football. There canadian as well so they probably all are hockey nuts, the point is if knowing alot about football = great video games, then konami should be headquartered in Rio and not tokyo.... in reality it has little to do with that and more to do with the developers and artists being the masters of there art then actually knowing the game of football

fair enough, but programming and being a graphic artist have nothing to do with how well you know a sport but how well you can make a video game. shit i bet alot of the developers and artists on fifa
know more about comic books and graphic novels then football. There canadian as well so they probably all are hockey nuts, the point is if knowing alot about football = great video games, then konami should be headquartered in Rio and not tokyo.... in reality it has little to do with that and more to do with the developers and artists being the masters of there art then actually knowing the game of football

Wrong their whole team is good at what they do but also LOVE FOOTBALL

thier situated in canada but most of the team is from all over europe and south america...

the assistant producer is a fifa player himself *was in the fifa interactive world cup 3 years ago...

thier situated in canada but most of the team is from all over europe and south america...

the assistant producer is a fifa player himself *was in the fifa interactive world cup 3 years ago...

could go on but just because thier in canada doesnt mean their team is

i totally agree gomito...

so, youre just proving gomitos point...doesnt matter where u are from, u can love football as much as anyone from brazil for instance.

Sure, I don't doubt the knowledge of football that the FIFA development team posssesses. I was doubting the reviewers. The FIFA team is supposed to love Football. Don't know about the reviewers.

which you should.. specially considering they are american and prolly don't know chit about football.. I'm american myself.. and I don't even trust game informer for any sports game review.. they usually have guys review sports games that arn't hardcore about it like us. for example.. I be willing to bet I have played the demo already more than they played the game. lol

there more you play this game. the more there is to appreciate

Last edited:

My fun with this demo has emerged after mastering LT thanks to Gomito.;-)

I am scoring more goals and having a blast. The pace is a little faster for me ever since I changed my control settings. one of the reasons why I am scoring more goals is due to my shooting being set to "Assisted". For some reason the control settings such as Manual, Assisted and Semi on passes and shots have an influence in the speed of the game and player responsiveness. My players respond a lot smoother and quicker. This game takes time to master, but once you crack it, you will be having a blast!

I am definately buying the full version of this game. Especially since the nets will be improved along with a more polished and refined gameplay.

Back to some more demo fun!
;-)

Last edited:

Somehow the crowd has decided to leave the stadium. I just decided to play a bit and noticed the stadium is empty (restarting the game or the console won't fix anything). Weird.

Anyway, I've read this has happened to some more people (PS3 version), and the only way to get the crowd back to the stands is re-download the demo. Shit.

Jack has only scored one goal and still has people watching him play.

Why me? :(

Somehow the crowd has decided to leave the stadium. I just decided to play a bit and noticed the stadium is empty (restarting the game or the console won't fix anything). Weird.

Anyway, I've read this has happened to some more people (PS3 version), and the only way to get the crowd back to the stands is re-download the demo. Shit.

Jack has only scored one goal and still has people watching him play.

Why me? :(

lol :D

OK i've literally played over 200 games :shock:, and that is not an exaggeration at all, most of them i played on the 360. i thought i'ld give my overall impressions on the game, but i noticed it involves bits and bobs of alot of other peoples (reading through here) so i figgured i wont be saying anything new.. but i'm thoroughly enjoying this game to the max, everything's riding on a positive wave at the moment, it just feels soooooo good and i'll be playing this a hell of a lot when the final game's out...very impresed, well done EA :applause:.. anyway just thought i should add though that paying the ps3 version, personally, to me it feels like the more touched up version between the two (ps3 and 360), why?
- the nets!! they are one jump away from looking/recreating the ones from the pes2008 vids, but they are just a touch tighter than the pes ones which look wierdly loose for premiership nets anyway so it being tighter is probably a good thing, but its definately MILES better than its 360 counterpart.
- Player responsiveness.. it feels a lot better/quicker controlling the players on the ps3, cursor change is comfortably fast and the annoying bit where it takes a player (even ronaldo) 3-4 touches to get the ball down and away on a run on the 360 seems non-existent on the ps3.. it almost seems like its a different game when you play it...
- Shot/aim stability.. playing it on the 360 i felt that it was quite difficult to shoot at a slight/very slight angle to the dead centre of the goal. eg. i was running in the arena with ronaldinho (obvously) straight at the goal, then i tilt the analogue stick very slightly to the top-right direction, but not exactly top-right (as the aim on the analogue stick is 360 degrees, at least its supposed to be), but i aim it to the point where he dosent change direction of movement but the aim is slightly off the "straight" position he's still moving on and then shoot, but the ball either goes straight to the keeper, perfectly nestles in the wide goal area, or wierdly sometimes curls crazily wide for some reason. but playing the ps3 version i noticed the shots are more "controlled", and i could almost hit the same shot twice, (when i got the combination of power and direction right).. Mind you i'm not very fond of the 360 controller so that might be an affecting factor but none the less just saying effectively what i noticed "off the bat"..
Distorted graphics/picture.. i think a lot of people has mentioned this as well, the colour, contrast, brightness, looks horrible conjoined in a almost "Embross" kinda effects and well it dosen't look goo....AT ALL. it actually makes henry who already looks... well., "wierd" skin colour wise on the 360 really dodgy on the ps3 and thats me being nice..
Hopefully its a more touched up version the ps3 got and its not just the machines working different ways, or the game being programmed using different techniques with both machines hence the slight difference in gameplay, so at least we can expect someting like the graphics of the 360 and the (should i say) responsiveness of the ps3 in the final version for the both machines. heres hoping i'm not dreaming/seeing things ;)

Last edited:

dude its the same game lol people just imagine this stuff up

dude its the same game lol people just imagine this stuff up

The PS3 demo is in a different stadium and at dusk which makes everything look fairly crap - the shadows are too exaggerated making everything much too dark and an orange hue covers the grounds and players and gives them a plastic look. I'm also wondering if the different stadium might have some slight effect on smoothness - if some of you recall PES had framerate issues in specific stadiums.
Anyhow what bugs me more is the fact that in the last handful of goals I've scored I noticed that the goalscorer initially has no reaction when the ball crosses the line (and before the celebration cutscene) - he just stood there with his arms down at his side looking fairly bored with the proceedings...does this occur all the time? (watch it on replay).
I know it's not a huge deal but it really detracts from the realism and emotional aspect of the game - in reality goalscorers almost always have an immediate reaction of some sort whether it's throwing their arm(s) in the air or simply turning to run to the corner or off toward the crowd.
It's a shame that after turning out such a solid effort gameplay wise that EA couldn't get the 'moneyshot' right - reaction should be immediate when a player scores and the celebration cutscenes are just really weak (the fact that the screen cuts to black to get to them is ridiculous as well).

Last edited:

i think ea is goin in the right direction there working on the core gameplay element once thats correct they could fix the "money shot" things what the point in having all the pretty aspect right and then gameplay sucks..

Does anybody know if there is a button/combo for the "let go" action?
I mean like the "L1" button in PES on PS2 (when the receptor lets the ball go through his legs).

Cheers

i think ea is goin in the right direction there working on the core gameplay element once thats correct they could fix the "money shot" things what the point in having all the pretty aspect right and then gameplay sucks..

This is just bitterly ironic as that is what we used to say about PES - that the important thing is gameplay and leave the flash and eyecandy to EA and FIFA! Why can't we have it all, especially on Nextgen?!
How long are we gonna have to wait?...it's always 'they're goin in the right direction, let's get the gameplay right...' Cripes we've all spent a fortune on consoles, HD televisions and surround systems - is it really asking too much to get a good playing footy game that also captures the sights and sounds of the overall experience?!!
Alright sorry, rant over - but seriously if there is one aspect of the presentation you'd like to have be as real as possible it's the sights and sounds that follow a goal as that's what you work so hard to accomplish and to have your player just kind of give a ho-hum and then have the screen turn to black and then the awful canned cutscene is just disappointing is all.

Does anyone know how the edit mode will be in the final version? I'm guessing it won't be as deep as PES' edit mode.

Would be cool if you could at least edit skills, teams and transfer players.

Based on 07, UCL and bits and pieces I've picked up about 08:

You'll have
player edit
player create
player transfer
national team roster select (ie to change players on national teams)
you can change default starting lineups of all teams
default formations and tactics for all teams

Can't remember anything else for now, for player edit it's split between star players with custom faces which cannot have their appearance altered or default players who can have their hair/face changed, which is obviously great news for people like Jack and Me who support lower league teams which will be 100% default players.

So player edit:

Change name, DOB, position, foot, height, weight, shirts tucked or untucked, sock tape, sweatbands, boots, face, hair, skin tone, then you can also edit player attributes, there are some hidden stats for certain players, not sure if default players will have any hidden attributes or if they do whether you can edit them or not, obviously for "star" players with real faces you'll have all of that stuff except for the hair/face/skin tone edit, although I'm somewhat hoping that they'll let us edit the skin tone of star players because it seems from some screenshots they have a hard time judging how black someone is, for example in screenshots Pennant and Clichy have look a little too white compared to real life.......

EA haven't officially released any info about player editing really.

WHY oh why can't EA simply give us a custom camera?! (TELE is too far and DYNAMIC is too close!!) They've created this brilliant looking game and haven't given us a view that works to take best advantage of it dammit!

In the full game you'll be able to adjust the angle and zoom for each camera and if you're able to find something you like it will of course remember that setting for ever and ever, personally I use Tele with maximum height and maximum zoom out to see more of the pitch :)

ECC for CL and also an equivalent to the UEFA cup?

Are those cups exactly the same as the real CL and UEFA Cup?

From 07 current gen (EA have told me next gen manager mode will essentially be the same minus a couple of already known omissions) ECL and UEFA cup qualification and rules are exactly like real life.

Does anybody know if there is a button/combo for the "let go" action?
I mean like the "L1" button in PES on PS2 (when the receptor lets the ball go through his legs).

Cheers

In British English we call it the "dummy", a few people have mentioned it's in there but I haven't found it yet, only way to know for sure I guess is to pass to a player then before it arrives hold down each button in turn ;)

In 07 PS2 it was (IIRC) one of the shoulder buttons, so you passed, then held down (for example) R1 and the player would open his legs and let the ball through......

It's been confirmed by Adonis, Suff played the final build this week at EA HQ. He mentioned to me before he posted that here on the same day he played that the demo bulid was older and the final version looks, feels and plays better, with graphics and the response time being the major inprovements as well as other little things. So rest assured it's been improved.

So theres actual proof to this?

Where is the podcast/blog with this info?

In British English we call it the "dummy", a few people have mentioned it's in there but I haven't found it yet, only way to know for sure I guess is to pass to a player then before it arrives hold down each button in turn ;)

In 07 PS2 it was (IIRC) one of the shoulder buttons, so you passed, then held down (for example) R1 and the player would open his legs and let the ball through......

Thanks Paul.

Back
Top Bottom