FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

If the full game plays like the arena does but in a match then i will be VERY happy as the arena is just a joy to play. I spent about an hour and a half just running around doing random things. Not even tricks..testing out early crosses etc.

So true. I spent 5 hours today trying a lot of useless things and for me the shooting is perfect in this mode. You can do everything you want, but I can't do during a match : as fast or accurate.

I respect your opinion jones, but in all honesty mate I don't understand why some people that don't like the demo keep playing it or even bother posting in this thread. That's all.

Because it is a thread to discuss FIFA,
Only positive opinions can be posted?
fair enough, i like the pace and the tough AI.
I will only post palatable impressions so nobody has to bear the thought that the demo isn't wowing everyone.
I would only get labelled a fanboy anyway.

haha kl trick (will try in the garden later)

dunno if this has been asked already, but this "be a pro" mode, do u just take control of existing players, or do u create a player and try to make him a star?

think the latter would b awsome ;)

You pick an existing player. Hopefully in the future the mode will be expanded to some kinda of "fantasia" mode, alternatively I'd like to see it used in a "player manager" type of mode where you choose an existing player in his late 20s and you're the player manager of the club of your choice with him :)

anyone wanting to know how to Curl a free kicks you push the left stick the direction you want to curl as soon as you press the shoot button

Last edited:

Because it is a thread to discuss FIFA,
Only positive opinions can be posted?
fair enough, i like the pace and the tough AI.
I will only post palatable impressions so nobody has to bear the thought that the demo isn't wowing everyone.
I would only get labelled a fanboy anyway.

Jonestm, I never meant only positive opinions can be posted. As a matter of fact I started that post by bringing up two things I don't like about the game.
It wasn't directed at you personally but at people that very clearly want this game to fail.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love PES2008 to be better than its competitor but I just don't see it happening this time around.
PES has been the best soccer game in the last ten years or so. That's why you find me posting here and not in a FIFA forum ;)

anyone wanting to know how to Curl a free kicks you push the left stick the direction you want to curl as soon as you press the shoot button

You also have to remember that due to the ball physics incorporating such principles as the "Reynolds Effect" which means that no matter how much the ball is spinning it won't curve beyond a certain speed so it's not until the ball starts slowing down that you'll see curl, so if you're blasting free kicks from 20 yards chances are you'll be able to put little curl on it if any, however if you use the finesse button with freekicks the amount of curl you put on the ball is significantly increased due to the lowered velocity.

Whatever issues people are having with the game, all I can say is that this demo is awful and doesnt represent the final quality of the game.

I do actually find it surprising that people are actually enjoying this demo. There are aspects that truly impress me, but overall its a shambles. There are elements of this game that mirror real life perfectly, especially off the ball, but while in control of it its not very accurate at all. The animations imo are what bring this game to life and gives an illusion of a simulation. The ball physics are all over the place, very unpredictable.

But anyways, like I said this demo doesnt represent final quality of the game. Listen to the latest official Fifa podcast (get it from the itunes music store) to understand how we know this ;)

Only thing they say that it's better than Leipzig. Or did I miss something?

For the guy how ask about getting more power on the shot, when shooting hold LB in, that makes the shot a "middleshoot". Works well, although it does take getting used to to hold it down. Oh and do it at the same time as pressing the shoot button, otherwise you go into slow dribble mode. Works well in the arena as well.

Was just over at the fifa forum and there are some clear examples that this isnt the latest build. One example is belletti still at barca yet in one of the pro videos he's at chelsea. Tbh, im pleased with the reponsetime as i was expecting the worse after UCL, however tightening / speeding it up slightly can only be a good thing and put even more pressure on pes. Thats one of the few substantial elements that pes still has over fifa. [imo]

Last edited:

Just scored my first goal in 12 hours of matches (that's 15 halves per hour, times 12... 180 halves, or 90 full matches, THANK GOD I wasn't in a league).

Used jockey on a corner, got my head to the ball, hit the underside of the bar and bounced down over the line.

In celebration, I smashed three glasses, two windows and a small dog.

There's definitely momentum in the game, either that or my own personal confidence is building. The more you pass it about, the more good positions your players seem to get into, and the more chances come up. I had two chances that Ronaldo would have scored in real life before, over to the right of the goal with the keeper far over and tons of space on his other side, wanted to aim for the bottom-left of the net but I'd switched manual shooting off and so it was weak and straight at the keeper... I was kicking myself. But there's so much depth from the game.

And looking at the difference between the demo and the final version, there might not be much left to complain about.

Whatever issues people are having with the game, all I can say is that this demo is awful and doesnt represent the final quality of the game.

I do actually find it surprising that people are actually enjoying this demo. There are aspects that truly impress me, but overall its a shambles. There are elements of this game that mirror real life perfectly, especially off the ball, but while in control of it its not very accurate at all. The animations imo are what bring this game to life and gives an illusion of a simulation. The ball physics are all over the place, very unpredictable.

But anyways, like I said this demo doesnt represent final quality of the game. Listen to the latest official Fifa podcast (get it from the itunes music store) to understand how we know this ;)

So are the response times quicker in the main game - brief summary of how its better?

Thanks

You've already answered - please ignore! Sorry

Last edited:

My goal tally is at 9 in 20 halves of football.

4 were scored in 1 game.

I agree with Jack, the game is so life like. Previous FIFA titles you have been able to run with the ball at speed, slice the defence open and score past terrible keepers. This year you need to adopt a style of play that suits your game, unfortunatley 4 minutes is not enough for you to get playing fluently, to score a handfull of goals. Which is the main reason most of us are finding it hard to score.

But the way the game plays is beautiful and so life like that I arent complaining, I just cant wait for the full game to come out so I can start scoring some more goals :lol:

Yeah i can manage a few straight from kickoff [running towards my goalie......with etoo], but i dont dare do them with opposition players around :lol: Ive never used dribbles in footie games anyway. Use direction and a sprint or two to get pass players.

Does anyone else have issues with the AI missing EASY tap ins or chances...like open goal from a yard no joke...and also in a good position at by-line at edge of box and then running towards the corner flag?

really annoying for me...the AI seem to lack direction and some simple knowledge of how momentum and speed can work to create football goods.

Does anyone else have issues with the AI missing EASY tap ins or chances...like open goal from a yard no joke...and also in a good position at by-line at edge of box and then running towards the corner flag?

really annoying for me...the AI seem to lack direction and some simple knowledge of how momentum and speed can work to create football goods.
I think that's because the game is on semi-pro, the second-easiest difficulty setting.

The defence doesn't seem to worsen, but the amount of goals the opposition can score seems to.

My biggest AI problem is the throw-ins, where the CPU will almost always throw the ball to a team-mate and then roll it out of play for no reason.

@ Paul (placebo)

There have been comments that the final version is far superior to the demo.have you noticed any difference in the demo in comparison to the games you played at the GC.the very latest videos posted about a week ago showed a bit more polish in everything from the goal nets to the response's.

I cannot help but think(although I love the demo) that there has been a bit of pressure to get this demo out and due to the fact that EA have stated that the demo has to be done seperately rather than taken out of the game.this could explain various AI and graphical issues.

I am not in the least concerened because you can tell the game has got tons of depth in gameplay and couple this with a very deep manager mode its got far more longevity than maybe any other footy sim before.

Its a passing game for sure, but mastering the very basic skills in movement is going to be key in creating individual space in carving out opportunities in the final third.I like that because its now not a about following set patterns or sequences in which to score, every attack can be different and the variety of goals will be amazing.

So PS3 version will be better??

Thank god for that

I am really, really impressed.

The graphics are stunning
The AI is outstanding. Even the computer can launch decent attacks, they know how to use width and they exploit space.

You have to pass the ball around to create openings. I'm struggling to score. I've score about 5 in 25 games. I've never used an Xbox 360 controller before, so that will have some bearing. I've never been keen on analogue controls, but I will eventually get used to it.

The shooting is all but fixed, it goes where you point and you can set the power. You can ping the ball about with one touch passes, and the shooting animations are sublime. Nearly scored a Adebayor copy cat from yesterday with Ibrahimovic, that had me off my seat, the keeper tipped it over the bar onto the roof of the net. The crossing is still a little floaty, but you can set the power when its set to manual, which helps a great deal. Still trying to get to grips with early crosses though.

I only just worked out how to use the trick stick, but its all just a bit too random for me to use it without memorising the combinations.

I know people are complaining about sluggish animations, but as long as you know when to use the close control buttons you will be okay. It's a bit like real football, you can charge out with heavy touches in order to commit defenders and thus find space, or you can fine tune your control to keep control of the ball in a packed mifield.

The only negatives so far, apart from the ridiculous time limit that EA put in every demo (which can be worked around on the PC, and not the 360 AFAIK) is the player likenesses. PES still seems to be lightyears ahead in that regard. I really stuggle to tell who's on the ball sometimes. Doesn't help with the default camera angle being so far away and also when you play on a tiny tele. Not sure if the selection of cameras angles is the full shebang on the full game?

It's kept all the good points its built on from 07. The physics, the jostling, the tackling system, the first time shooting and is nearly gone and perfected them.

Is the button to activate a run still there?

Are you lot playing on manual shooting?

Put it on semi and you get the best of both worlds

Im gonna have to try out manual through passes though, because there have been a number of times my player has bee on the shoulder of the last man and the through ball has gone straight to the defender rather than into the space either side of him.

Back
Top Bottom