FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Lots of PES fans are bashing it.

Most of them prefer faster (thus Arcade) gameplay.

Not necessarily. I said this last year and I'll have to say it again: I'm liking this game a lot, but due to the slow response times, you can't play "à la Barcelona". By this I mean fast one touch passes, triangulations (don't know if it's the right word or not.)

When a team like Barça is clicking, and you see Ronnie, Etoo, Messi, Deco, etc passing the ball around at a very fast pace, first touch everytime, making the opposition go crazy.

I don't think I can do that in FIFA though.

Not necessarily. I said this last year and I'll have to say it again: I'm liking this game a lot, but due to the slow response times, you can't play "à la Barcelona". By this I mean fast one touch passes, triangulations (don't know if it's the right word or not.)

When a team like Barça is clicking, and you see Ronnie, Etoo, Messi, Deco, etc passing the ball around at a very fast pace, first touch everytime, making the opposition go crazy.

keep playing mate i think you can, just not on every single buildup, thus realisim

keep playing mate i think you can, just not on every single buildup, thus realisim

I'm still changing the pass system to figure it out. Assisted makes me feel like it's slower. Manually I can make faster passes but I have to keep the button pressed down for a sec, so you lose time. :( Gotta find some sort of balance in between.

I think you can, but not on manual.I think some assistance is needed to be able to ping the ball about at short distances, but this then defeats the freedom aspect.

I need to add some assistance because in some 30 halves I have scored twice won 1 lost 9 and drawn the rest 0-0:shock:

Great goal, did you use pass to get the ball from Rooney to Tevez? or just a quick tap of the cross button?

I just scored a somewhat similar goal with Barca, used the pace of Abidal (awesome on this game) and Ronaldinho, then laid it up to Henry, cut inside and laid the ball in along the ground, cause Eto'o had pulled back. Was nice to watch, very realistic. I'm liking the game now (though I'm on assisted everything).

Last edited:

green here :D

Same here.

I am pretty sceptic. I think the only place where people are praising FIFA is here. Some other forums are angry with the demo (DKZ, as an example). But also I consider this forum one of the best on the Internet because some members like Jack, although i tend to think that the good JB is seeing FIFA as a good game because he has lost the faith on PES2008 :lmao:

I will try to test it tonight, if a friend lend me his PS3. Then I will post my impressions.

Something that I have never understood about FIFA is... why not only one system for passes, crosses, etc? Why assisted, manual, etc? For me it has non-sense... probably someone can explain me this.

just playing with barca, and yaya toure made a lung bursting run from midfield, unleashed a shot (simular to mcfaddens against france), ball swerved (like it does in real life) and struck the post....i fucking love this game, ball physics are out of this world

manual is so u have full control of the passes and direction and power

semi control of power but direction of pass is helped slightly

assisted power and direction is helped even more...

Same here.

I am pretty sceptic. I think the only place where people are praising FIFA is here. Some other forums are angry with the demo (DKZ, as an example). But also I consider this forum one of the best on the Internet because some members like Jack, although i tend to think that the good JB is seeing FIFA as a good game because he has lost the faith on PES2008 :lmao:

I will try to test it tonight, if a friend lend me his PS3. Then I will post my impressions.

Something that I have never understood about FIFA is... why not only one system for passes, crosses, etc? Why assisted, manual, etc? For me it has non-sense... probably someone can explain me this.

not being funny mate but we are all pro evo fans otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum on a daily basis, but fifa has grabbed our attention and i for one can't stop playing it

so in my opinion your probably in the best forum to get a honest opinion of FIFA 08,of course it's not perfect but it's well worth forking out for

Oh please, realism is something we have had in PES for years. Its nice that you FIFA fans now eventually understand what we have been talking about for such a long time.

A problem with FIFA 08 is that one touch play is difficult because of the sluggish and unresponsive gameplay. We're used to pressing the pass-butting when we want the player to start passing the ball (when we want the passing animation to start). Its all about timing. Its like playing football in real life. You want to do a pass: you start moving your foot to do your pass. In FIFA your players react slowly, and you have to press the pass button earlier. It just doesnt feel right. It slows down the game.

I wanna thank you guys for every piece of informations you gave these last hours ,specially Jack Bauer and Placebo .This game looks marvellous and I intent to get it

Oh please, realism is something we have had in PES for years. Its nice that you FIFA fans now eventually understand what we have been talking about for such a long time.
Go and look at EVERY SINGLE FUCKING POST that Gomito has made before the FIFA 08 demo was out. He absolutely utterly hated FIFA, and was constantly slating those of us who did.

Saying "you FIFA fan" to him is like saying "you peace-loving hippy" to George Bush.

Go and look at EVERY SINGLE FUCKING POST that Gomito has made before the FIFA 08 demo was out. He absolutely utterly hated FIFA, and was constantly slating those of us who did.

Saying "you FIFA fan" to him is like saying "you peace-loving hippy" to George Bush.

Maby, but he was talking like PES is unrealistic arcade where its easy to just play one touch football (like Sensible Soccer) while FIFA is realistic and you have to think like its real football.

Well, yeah, you have to think like real football in FIFA because its a good simulation of football, just like PES has been the last years.

It just offends me a bit when people use the "think like real football" argument on people who have played PES for years. I just say: "Hey! Welcome to the beautiful world of realistic football gaming. Now you know what its actually about!"

Gomito has played PES for years. Gomito has puked on FIFA for years.

I don't usually agree with him, I barely agree with him now even though he's enjoying the new FIFA, but he is a PES nut. So anything he says can't be considered patronising to PES nuts. He is one.

My pass back to Tevez, if i remeber rightly was a double or tripple tap of cross with lots of power. I love how i rounded the defender the best, cheeky :D

manual is so u have full control of the passes and direction and power

semi control of power but direction of pass is helped slightly

assisted power and direction is helped even more...

I clearly understand what means each setting. What I am trying to say is why does settings exists? The game should have only one style...

When you have a competition, those settings means A LOT.

because you can choose to have full control which if u master is mayb more beneficial but its alot harder

and assisted is to help noobs like us to start off with...

I thank you guys also seeing as my xbox is at my brothers house for university reasons so im console less now i have 5 face requests (if you don't mind):
ronaldinho
nani
c.ronaldo
ribery
henry
much apprieciated.

Gomito has played PES for years. Gomito has puked on FIFA for years.

I don't usually agree with him, I barely agree with him now even though he's enjoying the new FIFA, but he is a PES nut. So anything he says can't be considered patronising to PES nuts. He is one.

I think you both have a point. But some people around here are kinda saying PES is ultimate arcade, passes are as fast as bullets etc, but that's just not true. It's down to pass speed of every player. And many are also forgetting that PES stood tall for years and it took EA almost a decade to even come close.

There should be a little more respect where it's due.

because you can choose to have full control which if u master is mayb more beneficial but its alot harder

and assisted is to help noobs like us to start off with...

I think that is a not-very-good idea in my opinion, but oh well.

I guess PES sucks because you cannot choose those settings...

I clearly understand what means each setting. What I am trying to say is why does settings exists? The game should have only one style...

When you have a competition, those settings means A LOT.
So you'd rather the game gave you less choice. You'd rather be forced to play one way, even if you don't like that way.

If PES was fully manual you'd be saying it's crap like FIFA (because it would be the first time they've done it and the first time it's always crap, trust me). If they gave you a choice, you could play it the old way, while they modified and improved the new way.

Asking for less choice is just... Weird, sorry. "No I don't want 200 teams, just give me 10, so you can concentrate on them more. And make me play the way you think is best, even if I can't get used to it and I hate the game for it. Thanks."

Mate, on FIFA, you can't select the D-PAD as the movement method. So my 60-year-old dad is heartbroken, really upset, that he can't play it. Less choice is NOT the way to go for a football game, ever. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom