FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

ps3 is dusk, hence some orange-y reflections on the players skins etc, 360 is during the day so it's nice and bright. Otherwise there is no difference apart from the stadium and it's shadows.

Just scored a great goal with Rooney on the turn and he leapt up and punched the air with ingame graphics before it went to the cut scene. I looked at the reply and checked th other players out - Van der Sar clenched his fist in celebration, Neville clapped, Ferdinand punched the air and others copied. Great attention to detail.

I think the real issue that'll divide people on this game is the speed of play, as we're much more used to quick movement in pes where as this is slower (and possibly more realistic).

Sorry if I'm repeating anything, I can't read 10+pages everytime I log onto the thread!

Alright guys, I played the demo all night. I am dead tired...

Annoyances:
There are still some annoyances from UECL, like the sluggishness of some players. They are still not as tight as PES, but, I am sure this will be somewhat tweaked for the final version.

The shooting is still hit or miss to me. I am having a hard time getting a grip on manual setting. However, this may change since I am still adjusting to it.

Nets are not as soft as I seen on some recent videos for some reason. I was looking forward to burying some belters in the arena mode. Big let down here for me. Note: they are by no means brick walls, they still animate, however still seem rather thick and solid like hitting a thick floor mat.

Camera angles are something I have never liked in FIFA games. I don't mind Tele, but in PES I usually play with Angle "9", and in this demo, there is no way to change the angle. I hope they do include this in the final version.

Now, for the positives:
The game flows very smoothly. The animations are great. Sooo many of them. Last night playing against Bayer Munich, I received a brutal tackle from Lucio with Tevez and immediately Tevez began to squirm in agony on the pitch rolling left to right while holding his knee with both hands. Brilliant!

The tricks: are so much fun, however hard to pull off during game since you have to slow down and hit LT to execute.

The passing: is great, I use manual and semi. I have soooo much freedom in this department. It just feels natural, like it should.

The speed of the game is perfect IMO. I love creating opportunities and being patient passing the ball around waiting for players to open things up and make smart runs.

Heading: is also great in this demo. I haven't had any problems with it. I smacked one on the post with Henry last night and the animation was so realistic. The jockey button(LB) along with precise timing, is definately the key to executing them. The same goes with tackling on defense.

C. Ronaldo and Ronnie are so much fun to control in this game. All in all, I had a blast playing it. I can't wait till I get home to experiment some more tonight.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I won only 2 games with Barcelona. Goals by Eto and Henry against Man U. and America. One header and the other a finesse shot to the upper corner. It was class!

Can't wait for the final version and online gaming.

This will be a great christmas...
;-)

Last edited:

For the pes players that dont like the passing, put it on full assitance. I might sound odd, or not at all, but you can pass more accurately and faster more in keeping with pes. Also your players who you are passing it to will actively go towards the ball instead of waiting for. Makes the game go a bit faster and lets you focus more on player runs instead of focussing on just passing it correctly. Makes the game feel better and more responsive for me anyway. Its worth the try.

Yeah like I said earlier, I agree with tiktiktiktiktititiktiktit, i have my passing on assisted and through ball on manual. This way you have two options, either let them pass it to the closest or most far away play depending on how long u press auto pass for, without worrying about misguiding it or underhitting it OR use the manual through ball to pass it wherever u like, giving u full control ;)

I hate when people say its crap.

Its not crap even if you hate it, its not crap.

Crap is superman on the n64.

The amount of thought money and planning that has gone into this game is unreal, to label it crap is in the words of Michael Jackson "ignorant"

:lmao: I literally laughed out loud at the crap and the Superman comment :)

To think i thought i would never buy a fifa again! but after playing the demo i am so impressed, really looking forward to the full game now. I was a true pes fanboy in my youth, but now i must be having a mid-life crisis:D

To think i thought i would never buy a fifa again! but after playing the demo i am so impressed, really looking forward to the full game now. I was a true pes fanboy in my youth, but now i must be having a mid-life crisis:D

You started the crisis when you started supporting the blue shite :lol: ;)

i still love playing it. i remember fifa 07 demo bored me after maybe 10 matches.

this is a lot better.

I have always been a Winning Eleven supporter. And this is not to say I won't be buying the next PES encarnation. However, after seeing how much FIFA has improved and showned that they do listen to their fans, has led me to beleive that they "in Fact" are the ones who are Pro Evoluting.

They really are serious about creating the best futbol sim that will eventually revolutionize futbol simulation gaming as we know it.

I truly beleive that they will get there before Seass and company. One reason for this is that EA has already layed out the foundation in creating this awesome engine that will only get better and better and better.

And I for one am truly grateful.
;-)

I was just in a store where Fifa07 or UCL was on the 360 demo pods and noticed something: the dots on the radar were a lot better on that game. In the 08 demo I'm having a tough time "reading" the radar just by glancing at it. Hope it's changed in the final version, it's Basic Design.

i have a tough time seeing the clock - its like an orange or red colour and i cant see what the numbers are while playing.

Not sure if its a colour blind thing though

It's definately worrying me how easy the CPU is scoring off free kicks, they seem to score more than they miss :(

I'm also finding I win headers easier when I don't use the jockey button oddly enough! I played 20 mins match time of using jockey and didn't win a single header, played the remainder without jockey and won a fair few headers.

I'm still crap at getting a shot on goal, my chances always seem to come from bursting past players on the wing, crossing it in to get it headed to the edge of the box where I crack a shot ... which misses because I can't get the hang of shooting yet :)

they "in Fact" are the ones who are Pro Evoluting.

:lol: Nice choice of word. It does look like Konami might have been out-evoluted by EA this year.

I agree that one of the most exciting things is that FIFA08, for all that it has flaws, is now a sound engine on which to build, and it already has many great options too (career mode, etc). Flaws can be fixed. The game still has plenty of room for new features too (dynamic weather, etc), so good times ahead.

I don't think this is the end of the road for PES. One of the best things about having a good FIFA is that PES will have to improve noticably in order to stop looking like yesterday's hero. I hope that next year, PES2009 will, for the first time in years, see Seabass deliver a game that has the "wow" factor instead of feeling like last night's meal warmed up.

I'd really really like if someone that was a pro/master of his domain at Fifa07/UCL could make a video of himself playing the Cpu. For me to see what level I have to reach to enjoy the game. And to see different ways of achieving results.

I mastered PES with years devoted to it, I'm not gonna master FIFA in a couple of days so... If anyone thinks he's good enough, give it a try will ya? :)

Fair enough, I was wrong about the controls being more advanced in comparison to PES, although the trick system perhaps make them a bit more advanced. :)

I think it just surprised me how advanced Fifa's controls are nowadays. Yeah, they just copied it from PES, but both companies should copy all the good stuff from each other. We will profit from it.

EXACTLY

Damnit, again! Second game running, the CPU gets a free kick outside of the box and it scored again! Really, far too many free kicks are going in. I can't remember the CPU missing a free kick in fact.

Damnit, again! Second game running, the CPU gets a free kick outside of the box and it scored again! Really, far too many free kicks are going in. I can't remember the CPU missing a free kick in fact.

What amazes me the most about that and the fact that the CPU seems to win 80% of the offensive headers is: There is playtesting going on before you release a game. Surely players testing the game should complain about this sort of thing?
Who's testing the game, "soccer" fans? (No disrespect to Americans intended :) )

Juan Pablo Angel seems to score loads of free kicks. When he was at the Villa he was shite most of the time he was there!!!.

I'm not trying to bash you or anyone else, but how are you guys giving away so many free kicks in scoring range?

Seriously, the more I play this demo the more I love it. I just can't get bored of it, it's amazing.

I don't know what to say, to be honest. I'm really having fun with it, everything looks and plays in such a realistic way. It's impressive. Besides, I haven't seen any major bug or flaw in something like 30 (half) matches. :eek:

I've just got used to the controls, so the real fun is just starting. I've always played football games with the d-pad, so it's taken me a while to get used to the analogue sticks. Besides, the L2 and R2 triggers are bitches, they're too slippery.

I'll post a complete review later.

*Runs towards the PS3 to play the "beautiful" game.*

I'm not trying to bash you or anyone else, but how are you guys giving away so many free kicks in scoring range?

In my case it's because you only have like 4ms to play, so I hack the computer a lot, to get the ball back quicly. :)

Placebo mentioned in another thread that the UK demo (360) might be different from the US/Singapore one. Can anyone confirm this? I did go like 6 hours without scoring on the 360 US demo, and scored on my first game on the UK PS3 demo...

Trying to get to grips with the defending in this game, the CPU just constantly plays through balls through me. I wouldn't say its "so" many, not liking I'm giving them away all of the time. But when I do concede one, the CPU is scoring more than half of them. Very annoying.

There is a few things which annoy me (% of goals from free kicks, too many fouls for no contact it seems while definate fouls don't seem to be called, slide tackles always look the same and aren't as effective as they should be, etc) but it does play a great game of football for the vast majority of the time. The more I play it and learn a different way of approaching the game, the more openings I'm finding. Still can't score though :)

Incidently, I usually play 4 min halves on football games, but I'm sure those 4 minutes in other games dont go as quick as the 4 mins in this demo :lol:

Back
Top Bottom