FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Also, I forgot to mention when you said "your touch is awful". Again, learn to play it, keep hold of the slow dribble/jockey button when recieving the ball to control it close to feet. If you want to knock it on, use the RAS, if you want to recive it and run, press the run button when controlling.

Theres so many differnt ways of doing things.

I dont know why im replying so much today, but the game deserves a hell of a lot of credit. I dont usually post that much, and ive spent the last hour reading what people think. Im getting too fucking obbssesed with what other people think.

Im going to play the bloody game I do so much defending for. BYE

How about the preferred foot of players?

Are they really much better with their preferred foot than with their other foot? Are there players just as good with both legs?

When shooting with Ronaldinho in Arena, sometimes he shot with his left foot while the ball was only just a bit to his left. Normally a player who is rightfooted would shoot that with his right foot.

Dissenters = people who have a different opinion from the majority or norm, so in this thread the dissenters are those who don't like the Fifa demo, in the PES/WE threads the dissenters are those like me who think it's arcadey, cartoony, blah blah :)

Edit: As Snoop said, dissent = arguing or disagreeing with someone.

And then we have the fanboys who have never tried the new PES, and still have some magical knowledge of how the gameplay will be, and that the gameplay in FIFA is better. Wait until the game is out, Placebo!

I will try the FIFA demo later tonight. I guess my 1st impression will be good, and then those little irritating bugs will drive me crazy after a while. Time will show. I'm open minded. Still looking forward to PES, but if FIFA is better I will easily change what game I play.

Don't have an Usenet account... :roll: :(

The public ones I get 0kp/1kb download speeds....

:(

There are a number of usenet providers that offer free 1gb and 10gb accounts, you just sign up, then cancel when your download is done and your credit card isn't charged.

http://www.megabitz.net/ they offer a free trial for 1gb download or the first month is only 95C US (you can easily cancel before the month is up). I have an unlimited account with them and the speed is very good. http://www.giganews.com/ also have a free trial with a 1gb limit http://www.usenet.net/ this one has a 10gb free trial limit so would be perfect https://www.powerusenet.com/ also has a free 10gb trial

If you want it fast that's the way to go, otherwise you'll be waiting a while for a torrent or such.

And then we have the fanboys who have never tried the new PES, and still have some magical knowledge of how the gameplay will be, and that the gameplay in FIFA is better. Wait until the game is out, Placebo!

Am I comparing Fifa08 to PES2008? All I'm doing is posting my opinions on the Fifa08 demo that I've tried, I've never commented about PES2008's gameplay other than speculation based on previous PES' and the videos we've seen.

Are you telling me that PES2008 isn't actually the super fast, on rails, cartoony, current gen looking, arcade game they've been showing us over recent weeks? Great news, I look forward to trying the demo then :)

You HAVE to play like a real footballer otherwise you will fail, and you will lose headers and not be able to tackle. It is NOT PES, you cannot run EVERYWHERE and smack the x button to tackle. You have to stand off your man, jockey him, and wait for the right time to tackle, or even stand off him and bring another defender over to tackle him.

I FIFA fanboy talking to a PES fanboy about having to play like real football. Wow. What has the world come to?

So going off the limited teams in the demo, who are your favorite teams?

Mine is Bayern at the moment.

Loving this game the Evo-Web league is gonna be superb.

I FIFA fanboy talking to a PES fanboy about having to play like real football. Wow. What has the world come to?

Im not a FIFA fanboy. I played PES since the early days. And I realised quite some time ago how shite and unrealistic it is. I play football everday, and run a kids football team. I come home from REAL football and put the new FIFA demo on and the more I play it the more real it feels.

Dont know who the pes fanboy is, dont really care, infact I dont know what your talking about, but Im a fan of football.

Coopz I have to disagree personally I think there the same range of variety in PES shooting, on PS2 mind you, you have your pea rollers, your rockets, your luvly dipping volleys etc etc, I dont see much difference, infact, in PES theres also the absolute spooner that goes no where near goal which is a nice touch, especially with crappy players.

Im annoyed aswell, just had a 1-1 draw, Inter (me) vs Barca, scored a luvly goal due to great build up, for them to equalise, as my keeper again rolled the ball to the first player where there was a barca player, he kicked it, didnt go in, keeper jogged back, eto'o finished :(

My touch isnt awful, although they tend to make the ball bounce all the time. I have got a lot better now, just got to be more weary on the defence, I founf the jockey button, I dont use it much still, doesnt really work trying to jockey eto'o or someone, when they just sprint and you cant jockey with them haha.

Airjoca im glad you picked you picked up on that, another way of shooting? Hello R2 and Square in pro evo, basically the same thing, Fifa are using similar controls to PES, its not a bad thing though.

SANTIAGO, lovely skill, looks lush when used correctly :D I got some vids, I will upload to youtube, its the good and the bad :D

Last edited:

I'm not trying to diss here, but a lot of people are excited because they were bored of PES's faults. With time most of them will miss the good things about PES and realize that both games have faults that prevents them from being "the one".

santiago, brilliant :)

How did you do that, i cant even do it in arena keeps hitting his ass!

That's not the same move me thinks. The one you're mentioning consists of two moves, that one consists of only one, quicker. I think. :)

Edit: definately not the same. The one you're mentioning you do like this: quickly press back-foward on the analog and keep it pressed up, as the ball rises quickly go to center and up with the stick again so the player heels it.

Last edited:

I'm not trying to diss here, but a lot of people are excited because they were bored of PES's faults. With time most of them will miss the good things about PES and realize that both games have faults that prevents them from being "the one".

i agree completley

You used to be able to, cant anymore. Dunno why the took it out coz it was a great feature which I used a lot. It used to be R2.

Uploading a fantastic diving header now....

Funny how Fifa has become the sim and PES an arcade game. PES is alright for a quick pick up and play but then what.. the all new Master League? LOL

Most of them yeah. But I think Fifa has more options to cross the ball. Also, PES hasn't got a jockey button. And Fifa ofcourse has way more tricks now.

That's why I think the game is harder to master.

Tricks yes. Crosses, you can set different ways of doing it in PES. First time cross L1 + Circle, Circle Circle for near post, 3x Circle for ground cross, all copied from PES.

You can jockey in PES I think.

Depends on what you mean. Combining R2 and X, or super-cancel and X, yes you can.

Nice movie Santiago :)

I really can't understand why people are coming into this thread just to bash FIFA, some people have too much time on their hands. What's the point in getting into an arguement about PES is better than FIFA?

A PES fanboy coming in here saying that isn't gonna make us all suddenly say "oh, because you said it, you're right. I'll delete the FIFA demo and go make some banners saying "PES RULZ" and walk around town."

Unfortunately Placebo seems to be getting targeted as being the FIFA mascot because he likes the game so much? Why are PES fanboys acting so bitter? If you don't like it, fine. Say you don't, then don't bother visiting this thread. Why would you visit this thread if you don't like the game?

Funny how Fifa has become the sim and PES an arcade game. PES is alright for a quick pick up and play but then what.. the all new Master League? LOL

You say that because you're so used to PES now. If you find someone who never played both games they'll have to learn how to play them both. You don't master PES overnight...

And it's not arcade at all. Compare the possibilities in formations and strategies of both games. Fifa still doesn't come close to PES's depth. Which is a shame. I like to be able to control what every single player on the pitch should be doing.

The strategies using the D-Pad in FIFA08 are those 4, you can only swap them around. Is this a limitation of the demo?

Nice movie Santiago :)

I really can't understand why people are coming into this thread just to bash FIFA, some people have too much time on their hands. What's the point in getting into an arguement about PES is better than FIFA?

A PES fanboy coming in here saying that isn't gonna make us all suddenly say "oh, because you said it, you're right. I'll delete the FIFA demo and go make some banners saying "PES RULZ" and walk around town."

Unfortunately Placebo seems to be getting targeted as being the FIFA mascot because he likes the game so much? Why are PES fanboys acting so bitter? If you don't like it, fine. Say you don't, then don't bother visiting this thread. Why would you visit this thread if you don't like the game?

Agreed, I tend to stay away from the PES threads because I know I cannot add any value.

How do you do that move correctly?

i know its down-up in the arena but it always hits my arse, i aint pulled that move off at all yet

That's not the same move Coopz. The one you're trying consists of a little lift and then using the heel to bring it over you to your feet. Consists of two moves. Press down-up and keep it up, as the ball lifts tap up quickly.

His move is different and I haven't done it yet.

Pro Evo has a lot of crossing features.

O = Normal Cross
O, O = Near Post Cross
O, O, O = Low Driven Cross

R2 + O = Normal Cross (High Trajectory)
R2 + O, O = Near Post Cross (High Trajectory)
R2 + O, O, O = I Presume The Same, Never Tried, Well Cant Remember :D

Then All The same again with L1 being early cross, and PES6 definately has jocky, on the PS2 version anyways.

I got an amazing headered goal with Saha, I got to share :D

That video just shows how much the commentary adds to the game - i love how the united players swarm around the everton team - and the way the home fans boo united when they get the ball.

Great stuff

it's strange they've gone with different stadiums/times of day for each platform?

Extra stadium pack (Adds extra options for each stadium - Night and Day options) 800 MS Points / £2.99

Downloaded the UK demo and Ronnie still doesn't have his name on his back in the arena, Jack you been at them funny mushrooms again? ;)

It is there - check the video in my sig - you can see it on around the 01:00 mark as he turns and runs at the goal

kevano22 - Loved the story about your Messi goal

-

After getting used to the demo and playing Fantasista mode loads i am gagging for the 'Be a Pro' mode. I had a bash at it with the demo (setting the camera to pro) and although its not fixed on 1 man you can get a good idea of how the final game will play. I love how you hear the players shouting for a pass (you cant hear them say 'pass me the ball you greedy shit' but you can make out someone's calling out) - I wonder if the game will have no commentary in this mode to make is super real.

And as for the who copied who stuff. At the end of the day who gives a crap if fifa use the same ideas as in PES games ... i dont think Konami own a copyright on them.

Hell if PES copied fifa and gave us licensed teams, a real world league set up and a decent commentary team that didn't vomit out lines like "He bangs it up" - I can't imagine the pes fans (not fanboys... fans!) screaming out against Konami and asking for their old master league mode back.

and PES fans wouldnt even have a game to play if Seabass and his team hadn't copied their own Konami made ISS games to start with because thats where PES came from

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom