FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Definately, I mean in SPRINT MODE (holding down right trigger) in both PES and FIFA you shouldn't be able to do any tricks at all, I mean in real life you NEVER see a player sprinting down the line with a ball, then pull of a Zizou twirl whilst still sprinting, it's IMPOSSIBLE! So if you want to do this trick in the game, you should be FORCED to have to let go of the sprint trigger, otherwise if you're holding it down and then spin the right stick your player must fall over every time.

As for R1 and this "WALK MODE" I speak of, it's about bloody time! This is something football games have been lacking in realism since the 80s!!! Every football match you see, atleast one twentieth of that match will be a guy walking with the ball (most likely a defender), before looking for a player upfiled to aim for. So far I think it's been impossible in any football game to just walk with the ball.

I always play PES with real pace and I enjoy it like that, but it's nice to have this added realism now that adds to the variety of play.

It was typical Konami, a great idea screwed up completely. You could slow down but it didn't actually lead to any real change or benefit. The only time I ever used it was when waiting for support, rather than actually trying to beat someone with it, as rather than give you the edge it just slowed you down and nothing more.

It's so ironic (or should that be tragic) that Konami have some great ideas and then totally screw them up. The Master League was ahead of its time, until they removed two divisions from it - then in the same year, other football games had the same features but with more divisions and Konami were behind again. It's as if they're told what features their fanbase want, but they don't understand why, and so they have no idea how to implement them properly.

You have to wonder if they are actually football fans - baseball is bigger over there, and look at the screenshots and the reviews of that baseball game Konami are making. Incredible, apparently.

The FIFA 08 team this year are real football fans (well, about as real as you can get supporting Leeds), so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

It was typical Konami, a great idea screwed up completely. You could slow down but it didn't actually lead to any real change or benefit. The only time I ever used it was when waiting for support, rather than actually trying to beat someone with it, as rather than give you the edge it just slowed you down and nothing more.

It's so ironic (or should that be tragic) that Konami have some great ideas and then totally screw them up. The Master League was ahead of its time, until they removed two divisions from it - then in the same year, other football games had the same features but with more divisions and Konami were behind again. It's as if they're told what features their fanbase want, but they don't understand why, and so they have no idea how to implement them properly.

You have to wonder if they are actually football fans - baseball is bigger over there, and look at the screenshots and the reviews of that baseball game Konami are making. Incredible, apparently.

The FIFA 08 team this year are real football fans (well, about as real as you can get supporting Leeds), so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I have the baseball game you speak of. It's pro yakuu spirits 4 by konami. It's the reason why i bought a ps3.

I have been an avid PES player since the end of ISS days.Each new game had its faults but it played like footy and was without doubt the best thing out.

We got to PES5 and I played it to death but I thought it was one of the best in the series and put along FIFA it seemed Konami were a million miles ahead of EA.

But then came PES6 on the 360 and I thought it was a massive step backwards. I could not belive how poor an effort Konami had made.

Then I turned to FIFAto see what all the fuss was about.

It was without doubt a far superior experience to the shallow PES effort and as a result I am looking forward to the FIFA08 game more than PES.

The point is that there are so many gamers that loved the KONAMI series that have been so let down by the last next gen game,that its gonna take one hell of an effort for peeps like me to turn back.

FIFA 08 will be excellent because they have done what KONAMI did in PES1, released a game that felt free flowing and realistic, sure it needed improvements, which we got to great effect for the 5 years after. So FIFA08 will have the tweaks and depth to make it better than 07 but PES will have to do more than tweaking IMO and that is why I feel for the first time in some 6 years FIFA will take the crown.

FIFA looks realistic when you play, feels atmospheric and gives an all round far superior immersive experience, thats what they are building on and we all benefit.

If they can get rid of some of the bugs and add some variables to the grounds like, different nets, weather effects, match officials etc then its going to be just superb.

I would also like them to allow draws online, none of the ET and pens shit, and the abilty to play a mate a few games in a row rather than getting booted out of the server.

In agreement with Holio draws should definitely be allowed unless your playing in a Tournament.

They should include multiplayer offline cups and leagues

why they left this out before i will never know

Since this thread seems more active and most of yous more concentrated in here i'll throw in my uefa cl question since nobody replied in the uefa cl thread.

"Can somebody help me with the controls here? I do not want to use analog and im having a seriously hard time controlling my players. Help"

You have to use Analog mate im afraid there is no option to use Digital.

Since this thread seems more active and most of yous more concentrated in here i'll throw in my uefa cl question since nobody replied in the uefa cl thread.

"Can somebody help me with the controls here? I do not want to use analog and im having a seriously hard time controlling my players. Help"

welcome to fifa, thats just how the game plays, clunky

Haha, dude, seriously, you know that "negative PES7 comments" thread you made? Make one for FIFA 08 and knock yourself out in there for a few days, go nuts. :)

new preview, credit PSW and cvg.co.uk

nothing all that new apart from the comment about crosses and through ball at the end. edit, is the thing about manual keepers new too?

the preview -

Kick velocities, ball swerve trajectories; anything that could possibly be turned into algebra has been crammed into FIFA 08. There's a 22-page document crammed with diagrams of wiggly lines through footballs - and that's just for shooting!

That document is why the ball now behaves so realistically. If it's caught square with the laces, it'll rocket in a straight line towards the goal, while any skew will send it curling away. You can now send Frank Lampard specials skidding low towards the goal too.

Tricks will play a bigger part in breaching defences, instead of just being showy and ineffectual. Tricks now seem to be much more organic and easier to integrate into overall play. Impressive-looking sequences can be strung together as space is sought in the middle of a packed park.

Finding that all important gap to unleash a rocket or killer pass will be more demanding than ever before. Now defenders will plug gaps more efficiently, with the whole team shifting its formation on the fly.

If it does all go a bit wobbly, you'll be able to switch to manual control of your keeper by pressing R3. This is especially useful during freekicks, as you'll be able to cover the bits of the goalmouth left unguarded by your wall, and when you've been caught on the hop by a quick counter.

Also rejigged is the way through passes and crosses are performed. Now they're completely manual, so your timing and placing of passes needs to be spot on - but when you crack it, the effect promises to be mighty satisfying

Last edited:

Sounds excellent, the goalkeeper controls sound scary but great that they're adding new gameplay features. Same for the 100% manual passes and crosses as well, it's brilliant to have full control.

Thanks for that KD!

Props kid thats impressive update. Total control and real feel of footy is what i'm looking for.

thanks for the info, iteresting moving manualy the G.keeper on the free kiks situations, its a welcome new fature,

ea is talking alot about the new shooting sistem, that the ball will have it's own weight etc...
i can't wait to see how the shooting feels on fifa08,
hopefully they have put lots of work on it & different animations while taking a shoot depending on the situation, so that when we take a shoot on goal, not only the physic of the ball feel good, but also the animation look realistic in the same time.

(the way through passes and crosses are performed. Now they're completely manual, so your timing and placing of passes needs to be spot on - but when you crack it, the effect promises to be mighty satisfying)
this is great news, i hope the game will give u that freedom, so that we can play the game any how, or style we want.

finally the tricks,skills are back, i hope that the tricks are done realisticly, & very balanced, otherwise everyone will be playing as barca:P

from what we have know so far, ea is taking the gameplay serios, & i really hope they don't f**ck it up this time around

Another quick email from my contact, and certainly something we'll be talking about in the next podcast.

Overall positive once again, he got another few hours on it. The whole game is a huge improvement, with in his opinion around a 50% improvement in both animations and gameplay. Especially impressed with the A.I. and shooting. Unfortunately keepers seem the same so far, which is a big problem for me. They are working on this though. Finally more praise for the trick stick & the much improved response times.

More chit-chat about it this weekend.

Oh crap, that's bad news about the goalkeepers. Are EA definitely going to be working on it or do you think there's a chance they're just saying that to your contact to keep him quiet?

well he did mention that when he told them, they mentioned folks giving positive feedback from Fifa 07 regarding keepers...

Who the hell have they been askin?!

That doesn't sound good. :eh:

Oh well, at least that's put my feet back on the ground.

I would of thought they would of got feedback from Uefa tbh the goalkeepers in that i thought were pretty solid apart from silly mistakes known again.

They were certainly much better then Fifa 07 keepers anyway thanks for news Adonis. :)

Manually moving Keepers at free kicks.... I think ive seen this somewhere before :) Oh yeah Virtua Striker! its quite comical if you get it totally wrong on that game, your keeper dives off to the right and the ball ends up in the top left corner of the goal :) I like the sound of that update,FIFA 08 could well put some daylight between itself and PES2008 as being a proper next gen footie experience.

Unfortunately keepers seem the same so far, which is a big problem for me. They are working on this though. Finally more praise for the trick stick & the much improved response times.

More chit-chat about it this weekend.

the keepers being at the same level as uefa champions league game is a real worry for me, there were times when the keepers ruined it for me, they'd either be retards or superhuman depending on difficulty level and their mood.

i accept the keepers pulling off incredible saves maybe 2 out of 10 times but when they're doing it 8 out of 10 times just because the game is on world class kind of bugs me.

the shooting also bugged me but that seems to be sorted according to reports. apart from that i really liked uefa, a nice break from ISS. (pes for the young'uns)

fingers crossed for the keepers actually being REALISTIC this time

Back
Top Bottom