FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Good man, I am no FIFA Fanboy either and like most people here loved PES for years since ISS Pro Evolution. However I think FIFA has really caught up. This years battle of the soccer games will be very very interesting. EA has shown its hand 1st and Konami has yet to show anything.... Let the battle COMMENCE! :)

Yes anyone who plays PES has noticed the CPU cheating, but most people play online so that solves that problem. The reason why most people still prefer PES is shooting, tackling, dribbling, crossing is way more realistic. I watched that new TV channel X League TV when they had people playing Fifa07, the goals where embaressing, Eto from the corner edge of the area with a looping crap shot......goal everytime. Thats when I was glad I had got rid of Fifa.

I'm sorry but anyone who plays footy or watches it, has got to recognise that Fifa has dodgy mechanics. The shots players can pull off at impossible angles, with power, on the wrong foot just grates on me. Its Disney Football, it always has been, they have tried to improve it, but lets face it they needed to. The fact is both games have major faults, but Konami didn't even try with PES and its still better. I like most people were disapointed with this watered down version of PES, so they better sort the next one out, if they really try, and I think they will then it will raise the standard again.

But I will still give Fifa ago (I am not a silly Fanboy, why people get so angry and are so loyal to one game is beyond me) because I love footy games, if they make it better than PES, then great because that will be a top game and thats what we all want.

great post dude, totally agree with u

Yes anyone who plays PES has noticed the CPU cheating, but most people play online so that solves that problem. The reason why most people still prefer PES is shooting, tackling, dribbling, crossing is way more realistic. I watched that new TV channel X League TV when they had people playing Fifa07, the goals where embaressing, Eto from the corner edge of the area with a looping crap shot......goal everytime. Thats when I was glad I had got rid of Fifa.

I'm sorry but anyone who plays footy or watches it, has got to recognise that Fifa has dodgy mechanics. The shots players can pull off at impossible angles, with power, on the wrong foot just grates on me. Its Disney Football, it always has been, they have tried to improve it, but lets face it they needed to. The fact is both games have major faults, but Konami didn't even try with PES and its still better. I like most people were disapointed with this watered down version of PES, so they better sort the next one out, if they really try, and I think they will then it will raise the standard again.

But I will still give Fifa ago (I am not a silly Fanboy, why people get so angry and are so loyal to one game is beyond me) because I love footy games, if they make it better than PES, then great because that will be a top game and thats what we all want.

:applause:

Bravo! :applause:

Last edited:

Agree - goals in fifa are sometimes stupid

I'm sorry but anyone who plays footy or watches it, has got to recognise that Fifa has dodgy mechanics. The shots players can pull off at impossible angles, with power, on the wrong foot just grates on me.
Play FIFA or UCL again and then play PES. I press shoot in PES - and no matter what angle the ball is at im able to get a shot at goal. One of the best things FIFA 07 *(360) and UCL brought to the genre was that if the player shooting is off balance - the shot is rubbish and dribbles along the ground. Next time do your research.

Well said

Play FIFA or UCL again and then play PES. I press shoot in PES - and no matter what angle the ball is at im able to get a shot at goal. One of the best things FIFA 07 *(360) and UCL brought to the genre was that if the player shooting is off balance - the shot is rubbish and dribbles along the ground. Next time do your research.

Andish2001

I have put the hours in, I didn't buy Fifa to find its faults and then sell it on for less money believe me. For the record I think both games are poor, and I am hoping the next efforts are a lot better and they address the obvious flaws. I know what your saying re PES, but I doubt you get a shot on target everytime (a shot over the bar is not on target) PES deals with off balance/weak foot shots differently, basically your shot goes high over the bar. Even though you talk about the improved shooting in Fifa (which I agree with against previous Fifa games, but thats not saying much)I still recall plenty of shots/goals were the position of the player, their stance/foot to the angle of the ball, has all been wrong to get a decent shot off, and yet a well directed shot is still performed. I just couldn't enjoy scoring these goals, and thats why for now I favour PES. Its very very rare I would look at a PES goal and say 'they had no right to score from there' PES goals just look more realistic, the ball flight, the players animation all looks solid. I still think EA need to work on the ball as well, the frame rate looks dodgy, and almost all shots off the ground have a curl added to them, this has been present in Fifa games as far back as I can remember, why ? in my opinion it cheapens the goal/shot, another example of Disney Football.

But having said that they have the upper hand in other areas, I love Fifa's on the floor passing, specialy when you hit a slow paced pass across your back four, that looks good, and I love some of the pitches, and of course the menus/presentation. As I have already said I chose PES because in my opinion it is still closer to the real game. But the next one needs to be improved a lot, starting with giving us a full game this time!!!

Have a closer look at the goals you score in Fifa in slow motion, even Fifa fan boys would have to admit there are still too many cheap/assisted/unrealistic goals

Last edited:

The advantage in terms of realism PES6 had over FIFA 07 was shooting, IMO.

In FIFA, yes, the shooting seems to have no cheatin or on-rails effects, but the way you kick the ball never seems to be effected by the way the ball arrives at your foot. EA have said they'll be correcting this, hopefully they've done alot to improve dribbling besides the use of tricks.

OK just listening to the WE podcast and the ability to control a players feet/dribbling with the right stick, it sounds really impressive, but surely this is gonna have our thumbs and fingers crossing all over the place.

I really wanna give this game a go though.

OK just listening to the WE podcast and the ability to control a players feet/dribbling with the right stick, it sounds really impressive, but surely this is gonna have our thumbs and fingers crossing all over the place.

I really wanna give this game a go though.

I know what you mean. I like the fact that you have to enter the slow dribble mode by pressing a button though. It would be awkward imo using LB/L1 for that though. Id rather use RT/R2 for that, so it has the same feeling as PES in terms of being able to do tricks.

Really cant wait to see how responsive it is.

Actually this slow dribble button worries me, I want to play a fluid game.

It sounds like it's done similar to how PES does tricks with the right stick but from what you said it's supposed to feel more natural and organic, EA may be translating what the Wiimote motion does into analogue stick thumb movement for PS3/360.

How about giving us more than 8 Directions of movement EA? also Konami! im sick of having that restriction when a lot of us use the Analogue stick and could get much more out of it if we had 16+ Directions to use!

yeh i was thinking that - if the controls are morelike 360 degree controls the players wil become a little 'floaty'

Fifa 07 and UEFA for 360 piss on PES 360 from a great, great height.

In fact I'll go as far as saying Fifa 07 and UEFA 360 piss on PES/WE PS2 in my personal experience.

How can u say that Fifa07 and Uefa360 pisses on PES/WE ps2?? If thats your personal experience i think that youre delusional. I think that anyone who thinks that is delusional. Id say the opposite is true - WE10JL and to a lesser degree PES6 (both on ps2) piss on any fifa game.. including the next gen versions (xbox 360).. And thats why i dont think its even worth having a next gen machine yet..

We all know microsoft payed konami to release a half baked pes360 which i agree was shite.... if u wanna compare a fifa game, compare it to the best konami games to date.. the ones on the ps2 ;)

This is how I calculate it.

PES6 PS2

FIFA 07 360

UCL 360

PES6 360

The 360 version of pro evo is complete bollocks.

The ball slides across the pitch like its glass or something.

How i calculate it exactly.. but id put WE10JLeague at top... particularly when playing as 2 of the JLeague teams. Seems much slower and realistic as opposed to playing with 2 euro powerhouses.. its realistic, but much quicker etc.. i prefer the slower gameplay of 2 crappier teams.

pretty much how i see things.. i think it all depends on what people see as real football and how real football should be played. I think in the end, thats what determines which footy game you lean towards..

anyways cant wait for some Fifa08 ingame footage, and ofcourse this weeks news on the PES7..

This one particluar pic gets me really excited:

ribzwj0.jpg

Everytime I see it Im impressed by the player likeness, the way hes moving onto the ball, the grass textures and the stadium. Looks class. Im also impressed because it doesnt look as rendered as the usual Fifa pics. Remember Fifa 07 and UCL pics?

Jesus just look at that image compared to PES 08, the colour, I love the shine on his boots.

My God, we're on the same wavelength again!!

Seriously though, I'm sure PES will be improved, I just hope it's improved a lot. Either way, this has to be the biggest year for virtual football so far, surely?

My God, we're on the same wavelength again!!

Seriously though, I'm sure PES will be improved, I just hope it's improved a lot. Either way, this has to be the biggest year for virtual football so far, surely?

I love you :'(

Yes, it's the best year, these two games I reckon will no doubt be the best in their series'

And in another way, not counting Mario Strikers and UEFA, there are only two football games being released on the shelves this year. Can you remember 2002? How many idiots and mums must've bought crap like Red Card Soccer, David Beckham Soccer, Virtua Striker and Club Football, christ people must've been put off the genre for life.

In a way, it's nice that Konami and EA have killed off the competition.

Last edited:

It's nice that EA have finally done what they said they were doing for years - design a completely new engine. People on here see me as a cynic and nothing else, but until the end of 2006 I was just like everybody else, slating EA and saying "well, even if PES is full of cheating AI, looks like crap and I'm getting bored of being the same teams in the same competitions, it's the best football game out there". Just like the people now who are refusing to accept a patched PES6 screenshot looks better than the PES7 ones (as somebody said in another thread, if someone had released those patched PES6 shots and said they were of PES7, everyone would be shouting "OH MY GOD, THEY'RE AMAZING, AT LAST", but instead they're saying "PES7 looks way better you mong" - people can have their opinions but I just think that is laughable, whether the shirts move or not).

Then I download the FIFA 07 demo and I can direct the shots so perfectly, and see the goalkeeper struggling to reach rather than effortlessly saving everything, and that changed my outlook on football games. I couldn't go back to how stiff PES is now.

But that doesn't mean it's going to stay that way; who knows, FIFA 08 could be FIFA 07 with a facelift, and PES7 could be incredible. We won't know until both games are released. Those screenshots are way too similar to PES6 to make me believe it's anything but PES6 with shirts that waft in the wind.

People slate me for wanting more teams and competitions but I'm sorry, I get so bored playing with the same teams, against the same teams that I've been playing against for the last, what, six years? I remember when it was just ten Premiership teams; when all twenty were in, that was what hooked me. I'd come home after college (so it's not like I was 11 years old, when all games were "the best game in the world ever"), and I'd put the disc in and sit there for hours. When a mate came round I'd throw a pad over. There was a full Master League, with four divisions, and tons of teams.

Which is why I think it will never get better (and why I'll always have something against PES); Konami switched from four divisions to two divisions, so it's obviously considered an improvement. The game is developed for the Japs, who must love quick fantasy leagues, and I think that's the way the game is going to go. Which is ludicrous, there's going to be fantasy off the pitch and realism on it.

I wish there were two seperate development teams - or a localisation team that changed the ML format and added pounds instead of credits.

Last edited:

Jesus just look at that image compared to PES 08, the colour, I love the shine on his boots.

the boots look great, too bad the player himself looks like a human and a monkey fucked each other and had a half ribery half monkey baby and he grew up and now stars in fifa. And I like how they took some graphics from 2k7, too bad its the NBA style oversized shorts, and nothing else...

How many idiots and mums must've bought crap like Red Card Soccer, David Beckham Soccer, Virtua Striker and Club Football, christ people must've been put off the genre for life.

In a way, it's nice that Konami and EA have killed off the competition.

How stupid are you? Are you not pro choice? The first two games, fair enough, but Virtua Striker is fun and it is arcade based, its a quick game of footie, and well, it didnt have a speed/run button for a reason, you had to keep knocking the ball about, you couldnt just dribble from one length of the pitch to another. Club Footie was an ok title from Codies, just they never made enough sales to warrant taking the series beyond Eng Int Footie, and thus it died, so now we are left with two games, two games mate, you think thats a good thing?

I loved the day when 4,5 or 6 companies made footie games, Infogrammes who became Atari had a series, Sega in the past had it's own regardless of the Virtua Striker games. Hell even Konami had two footie games with ISS and PES. But if someone wanted to challenge the two remaining games now, best start on the DS to make money, or a DL game, because every boss of a software co would just say, look at the sales for these pair of games, we just cant compete.

the boots look great, too bad the player himself looks like a human and a monkey fucked each other and had a half ribery half monkey baby and he grew up and now stars in fifa. And I like how they took some graphics from 2k7, too bad its the NBA style oversized shorts, and nothing else...

You really are a knob. No matter what, in your eyes PES will be realistic and everything else won't. Heck I bet you even watch real football and comment on how unrealistic the players look because they look different to PES.

Holio, in agreement about Virtua Striker Ver 2002 (I still play that on my Wii now) But Club football was bloody awful! Ball physics diabolical, player movement was awful...

Virtua Striker had amazing physics, but the control was far too sluggish and Sega never bothered to alter it since the original.

Yes controls were a bit sluggish I do agree but ultimately the game was FUN :) its like what someone said to me on here the other day, some people just want to play a game which they can easily get into and have a laugh with. Virtua Striker is one of them type of games.

Thanks, at least we'll (probably) get to play the game before the release.

I'll most likely be buying it anyway (it's already pre-ordered).

Back
Top Bottom