FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Han, maybe you're better suited to Football Manager then? ;)

Tiktiktik, you made some good points and it is good to see that you are willing to see that there ARE some minor points in playing FIFA. Pitty that some people have the approach that everything of the game is good, like Placebo. Placebo, 'your' game IS really good, but not 100%. Talking about percentages: There are more than 5% of the people who are critical.
This is a discussion about FIFA, it is no PR-place for the game. ;)
What do you guys think about the radar?

Did I ever say everything in the game was good? That's nonsense, but what's the point speculating about all the little things that may or may not be fixed, will it change anything? No. Read my history, I've bitched about many things about Fifa's past and present.

So I moan there's no defence push up for offside button, what's the point in moaning about it? What do I achieve?

So I moan about the fact that sometimes when I press Y for the keeper to push out sometimes he's not responding enough or at all, maybe it'll be fixed, maybe it won't, will me moaning about it help?

There are more than enough people wanting to come in here to do nothing but troll and rip the game to shreds, for no other reason than it's an EA game, it's called Fifa, it's not PES, it's not by Konami, it's not made by the flawless god that is Seabass, what point is there in me posting the negative things when there's plenty of people queuing up to do it?

I take offence at that bullshit comment implying I'm doing nothing but posting PR for the game. Maybe unlike some people I'm just seeing the wheat from the chaff?

Yes, I like these advanced controls. Hopefully experienced players will have a huge advantage after they have mastered the controls.

Well, you need to give Fifa more of a chance too. Your arguments against it aren't really convincing:

-"PES has better animations" -> Err, Fifa has the best animations ever.
-"Bad Passing" -> You just need to get used to it. There are far more possibilities in your passing game, especially if you set everything to manual.
-"Tactical mess in my own defense" -> Again, too early to judge on that. Did you try different formations and man mark settings?
I did it on different formations ( 3-5-2 and some 4-4-2 variants ).
Man-mark I did not found.
I will look for manmark and try it again, but it is certainly not as well organized as in PES when using zonal marking.
I do not agree with your remark for FIFA having the best animations. Certainly not. :)

I did it on different formations ( 3-5-2 and some 4-4-2 variants ).
Man-mark I did not found.
I will look for manmark and try it again, but it is certainly not as well organized as in PES when using zonal marking.
I do not agree with your remark for FIFA having the best animations. Certainly not. :)

I find PES is a mess at setting up tactics personally. And even die-hard PES fanboys admit that FIFA's animations are better than PES's, I can't understand what PES game you're looking at as I see PES with robotic animations. PES has always had slightly stiff models and robotic animations a lot of the time, yet I stuck with it because the core gameplay was so good. Now FIFA has got the animations AND gameplay right.

Really?
Where are the formations-screens where you can pin-point your strategy?

In the formation editor which isn't available in the demo.
Where are the running lines for the players individually?

In the tactics section where you choose attacking and defensive movement.

Where is the option to pick attackers to man-mark?
In the tactics section, it's called, wait for it, are you ready? It's called "man marking" genius or what?

Where can you see the CPU changes its formation during the match?
I can go on for a while

In UCL that was something like: Start-Team settings-View formations, obviously as this is a demo that isn't in there but I would expect it to be in the full game as UCL was.

but as long as FIFA does not have the ability to change it's strategies as precise as in PES the are at best a semi-simulation...

Well thank you for proving my point that under your criteria Fifa is a simulation :)

I take offence at that bullshit comment implying I'm doing nothing but posting PR for the game. Maybe unlike some people I'm just seeing the wheat from the chaff?
Really mate, I am not the person to be offensive. If you read my other posts on evo-web you know that. :)
You make note of people who are critical on FIFA and you are not critical on the game. That makes me think you cannot stand critics towards FIFA ;)

So, a very important issue that I've not yet seen mentioned in the post-demo reviews, any sign of cpu cheats?

I've heard one or two comments about players being locked into runs until they reach the ball (or the cpu reaches the ball first). Presumably, super-cancel doesn't work here - a bit like how super-cancel in PES conveniently doesn't work all the time -but if that's it, no other signs of the cpu controlling your guys, making them run the wrong way, making them slow down so they can't get to the ball first, scripted deflections straight to cpu all the time, every tackle near the touch-line is scripted to cause the ball to speed out for a throw to the cpu, 100% biased referees, every tackle by you is a foul, every tackle by the cpu is "play-on", your guys standing like statues to allow cpu to score, cpu keeper is a hero every match but your keeper has jelly hands, laws of physics endlessly changes to favour the cpu team, your guys stumble for no reason just so they lose the ball, every sholder charge results in your guy spinning 360 and falling but cpu guy just keeps running, scripted balloon shots from 1 yard, scripted passes at 1mph so you lose the ball, and the famous cpu turbo-boost?

Any of that fun-destroying PES crap here?
I'm pleased to say, in my experience - no. Apart from the player selection "locking" after a corner is headed away sometimes, but using the right analog stick to select counteracts this 50% of the time, and as you mention, players "locked into runs until they reach the ball" (but it's once per game, if that, compared to once per minute in PES).

There's the fact that I haven't seen the CPU give away a single foul yet (after eight hours of matches) as well, BUT I'm assuming it's impossible in the demo, because they've blatantly shoved some of my players into the ground and got nothing. And it works both ways (kind of) because there is an option before the game to enable cards, yes/no - but I can chop a player down from behind, then kick him, shove him, and break his leg five minutes later, not one card has been given out yet. So the demo isn't complete, obviously.

My biggest problem in the game is that defence. If you play as a lower-league team and their defence plays like this, then we'll all be playing on Novice, which is ridiculous. I have to agree with Airjoca on that.

But apart from that I'm in heaven, it's truly beautiful.

Last edited:

BIG EDIT!

AWSOME!!!!!!!

it has just clicked, i won 2-0, messi and etoo both scoring very good goals. it all clicked and i actually felt like my barcelona team were far superior to the other team, and i felt i could score or at least create every time i got to their final third. i swapped controls and now its perfect for me.

its THAT good, my son was pestering me to fix his torch, to which i replied, "jesus christ ryan, did you see that stunning strike by messi" lol

to which he smiled and replied with "yes, but can you fix my torch"

as i said, you can really feel tyhe learning curve, and as sed before it doesnt help when its four minutes, in full games you could play it like such, slow and steady, not trying to go all out coz you only have 4 mins!

GREAT GAME!

d/loaded it last night for my ps3, after it failing twice, once while at 83%. but i need to ask something, is there a way to change player movement back to the d-pad? i cant get down with this analogue business.

In the formation editor which isn't available in the demo.

In the tactics section where you choose attacking and defensive movement.

In the tactics section, it's called, wait for it, are you ready? It's called "man marking" genius or what?

In UCL that was something like: Start-Team settings-View formations, obviously as this is a demo that isn't in there but I would expect it to be in the full game as UCL was.

Well thank you for proving my point that under your criteria Fifa is a simulation :)
Okay, okay I overlooked the man-mark-setting but you can say that more friendly, do you :shock:
Seems FIFA has 'learned' ( stole?) a lot from the PES tactics; let's wait and see if they really work well.

The manual pass is awful, its hardly manual, you get 8 way direction passing with manual, its basically the same as assisted, cept you actual control power of the pass, but even then, its easy to do.

I'm pleased to say, in my experience - no. Not one.

Although I haven't seen the CPU give away a single foul yet (after eight hours of matches). I'm assuming it's impossible in the demo, because they've blatantly shoved some of my players into the ground and got nothing. But it works both ways (kind of) because there is an option before the game to enable cards, yes/no - but I can chop a player down from behind, then kick him, shove him, and break his leg five minutes later, not one card has been given out yet. So the demo isn't complete, obviously.

I've been fouled a few times, mostly on the outside of the opposition penalty area funnily enough :) But I have conceded a number of fouls when I check the replay and don't see any contact or foul.

Okay, okay I overlooked the man-mark-setting but you can say that more friendly, do you :shock:
Seems FIFA has 'learned' ( stole?) a lot from the PES tactics; let's wait and see if they really work well.

Honestly mate, you seem quite blinkered to not wanting to acknowledge things in FIFA and want to believe PES is better. Not finding the man-marking is a perfect example. If you really wanted to find it, you would've. But you must've gave it a one second glance at the line-up screen, seen it now there and gave up? If it was the new PES and they changed the order of the settings, I'm sure you'd take the time to find settings then?

Ref is cheating towards the computer on the demo, player vs player no one gets fouls, vs computer your rare to get one, they are obliged to get many! I have had one for a good challenge, nearly scored, keeper was awful, anyway I got absolutely crunched legs flied in the air, ball was no where near, got nout, well I did, an injury, but hardly fair! The free kick angle is not very good imo, and why do Ronaldinho and C. Ronaldo run up well annoyingly for free kicks, I was creased up. Also the player lock run, happens more than once in a game, it happens ANYTIME there i a high ball, and they tend to jog rather than run! Also they run away from the ball pretty much all the time, unless thats player runs, like it is useful in defence :S I passed the ball with keeper, and it went to wrong person again, (this was yesterday havent played it since, nd went straight to tevez, open goal, with the amazing ai, he took no touch, and put it well wide. Excellent.

Anyway the PS3 demo is complete, I will try that out and compare them... woooop! :D

Ref is cheating towards the computer on the demo, player vs player no one gets fouls, vs computer your rare to get one, they are obliged to get many! I have had one for a good challenge, nearly scored, keeper was awful, anyway I got absolutely crunched legs flied in the air, ball was no where near, got nout, well I did, an injury, but hardly fair! The free kick angle is not very good imo, and why do Ronaldinho and C. Ronaldo run up well annoyingly for free kicks, I was creased up. Also the player lock run, happens more than once in a game, it happens ANYTIME there i a high ball, and they tend to jog rather than run! Also they run away from the ball pretty much all the time, unless thats player runs, like it is useful in defence :S I passed the ball with keeper, and it went to wrong person again, (this was yesterday havent played it since, nd went straight to tevez, open goal, with the amazing ai, he took no touch, and put it well wide. Excellent.

Anyway the PS3 demo is complete, I will try that out and compare them... woooop! :D

Not sure why people aren't seeing some things others are seeing regularly. I'm having no problems defending headers, and am getting free kicks for fouls by the CPU also. The CPU does seem a bit too accurate with free kicks I must admit.

And Ronaldinho and Ronaldo both run up to free kicks the way they do in the game, surely you've seen them take free kicks in real life?

Honestly mate, you seem quite blinkered to not wanting to acknowledge things in FIFA and want to believe PES is better. Not finding the man-marking is a perfect example. If you really wanted to find it, you would've. But you must've gave it a one second glance at the line-up screen, seen it now there and gave up? If it was the new PES and they changed the order of the settings, I'm sure you'd take the time to find settings then?
No, I just did not find it. Can happen. I wanted to play as much games as possible last night (is that a positve thing? ;) ). It was pretty late, so I did not look too well into all of it.
You can read my opinion about the game some pages ago and I was pretty positive. But if somebody say it is a simulation and PES is arcadey I bring some arguments how ridicilous that statement is. EA themselves has argued many times that FIFA is more for people who want just to get play without a high learning curve, like PES is, and now some people overhere say the opposite from what EA said....:shock:

No, I just did not find it. Can happen. I wanted to play as much games as possible last night (is that a positve thing? ;) ). It was pretty late, so I did not look too well into all of it.
You can read my opinion about the game some pages ago and I was pretty positive. But if somebody say it is a simulation and PES is arcadey I bring some arguments how ridicilous that statement is. EA themselves has argued many times that FIFA is more for people who want just to get play without a high learning curve, like PES is, and now some people overhere say the opposite from what EA said....:shock:

EA said that some years ago to have some kind of markething strategy. They always wanted to make the best possible simulation, but the game just sucked until last year.

And now there are even people changing from Fifa to PES after playing the demo. Because it's too hard :) Brilliant stuff going on.

Opinions of course differ about which game is the best simulation. But Fifa now is what PES used to be. A game where you are really happy after a goal, because it's so hard to do. Fifa is also a lot slower than PES, which is more realistic.

Ferraritim, can you give us (well me) more of a tutorial on how and when to use jockey? I understand that it's best used to defend a small space but strikers are going past me all the time...

By the way, am I going mad, or does Ronaldinho in the arena not have his name on the shirt on the Singapore demo, yet it's there on the European demo?

I didn't use it that much yet. But one thing is for sure: you need to hold it when using it.

I find it very useful if my opponent has the ball around the corner flag, ready to cross or get past you. Your defender will form some kind of wall the opponent can't get past. I think it's also very useful if the opponent has possession in a very busy penalty area.

European and Singapore demos are definitely different. I've actually had fouls awarded against the CPU in this demo, hadn't happened to me a single time with the Singapore demo over eight hours yesterday (no exaggeration).

Been great to get free-kick practice in!!

It is a kind of strafe manouevere, the play crab-walks sideways, keeps facing towards the opposition player. Ferraritim has the right idea on using it at the corner flag, good thinking :)

Anyone noticed how often the CPU plays lobbed through-balls over the full backs from the centre of the pitch?

I've just been experimenting with the jockey button, I find if you're next to a player and you use it instead of the standing tackle button (especially if you're behind them), you grab hold of them and stop them from moving so easily. Sometimes this will lead to a dodgy pass that you can intercept, sometimes it gets you closer to the ball so that you can press standing tackle and knock the ball away, sometimes they fall over and get a free kick.

I LOVE this game, so much depth...

I have the singapore demo and it has hardly any crowd noise and no commentary yet people are say the atmosphere is amazing

whats that all about?

Oh its its obvious to me its not the final build, because in that great clip of Man utd v Everton, the crowd was booing, whistling, cheering ect and there is none of that in the demo

P.S. JB do i have to delete the other demo before i download the European one or can i play one while downloading the other :)?

Negative comments are down to:

1. PS3 owners and the PS3 demo really is a poor build compared to the 360 build which just runs lovely and smooth.
2. People who cannot accept that a certain game by Konami is no longer the daddy.

So you're ruling out anybody disliking the 360 version for any reason other than they can't accept that it's better than PES?

Downloaded the PS3 demo last night, i loved the immediate switch in my amlpifier to DTS, giving superb sound, i dont have a 360 to measure against but i have to say the clarity of the screens is awsome. I found the gameplay very challenging which i like, i always hated fifa`s pick up and piss all over everyone immediatedly playability. This is a major improvement over any previous fifa, i would think once ive mastered the tricky controls i will get massive rewards, i just hope it wont be like previous years where i play fifa for a couple of weeks and then crave PRO EVO, the fifas of the past have always been very easy and arcadey, not a represetation of REAL football, PRO EVO has always given the feeling that i have to make FOOTBALLING decisions rather than cosole game decisions, i love the look of fifas past and always used to go back to it for a few days, but that always just refired my hunger for PRO EVO. This year the signs look good for FIFA, i will have a few weeks with it until PRO EVO comes out and i get the feeling that i may well play both games through the year, FIFA 08 is much more of a football sim than its forebears, i play PRO EVO inside out and here i am saying i am genuinely exited by the new FIFA release, i will emmerse myself in the demo this weekend, sore thumbs here i come!!!

Last edited:

I have the singapore demo and it has hardly any crowd noise and no commentary yet people are say the atmosphere is amazing

whats that all about?

Oh its its obvious to me its not the final build, because in that great clip of Man utd v Everton, the crowd was booing, whistling, cheering ect and there is none of that in the demo

P.S. JB do i have to delete the other demo before i download the European one or can i play one while downloading the other :)?

I've noticed some crowd sounds on the Euro demo, not played the Singapore version. One thing I noticed was the crowd chanting as your goalie takes a free kick ... then it just ends suddenly when he kicks it and the header is being contested. Also the crowd don't cheer as much as they should when teams approach the area, yet they will go off on one cheering when a team gets to the corner flag? Very strange.

By the way, am I going mad, or does Ronaldinho in the arena not have his name on the shirt on the Singapore demo, yet it's there on the European demo?

Just checked, no name on his shirt in the arena in Singapore demo, deleted and downloading the UK version now to see if anything else is different :)

Back
Top Bottom