FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

One thing I hate about FIFA and something I feel they have missed a trick with is the goal celebrations, they are still canned and have no relevance to where you are on the pitch.

You score and all of a sudden you have 5 players around you that weren't there before. Hella lame.

I definately noticed a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions, the 360 version feels like it runs much better and definately looks better.

Gameplay speed. Those two words are the reason PES fans don't like FIFA. Everything else I think PES fans could handle and probably like, but they're used to the arcade-like fast pace of PES, with the small pitch resulting in a MUCH quicker game.

FIFA runs a lot slower anyway, and also the pitch is a lot bigger so those two reasons will put a die-hard PES fan off straight away. I can understand why they'd be so disappointed, coming from the pace of PES and the small pitch to slower FIFA with a huge pitch and having to spend that much longer playing your way from defence to the opposition box will annoy PES fans. They're used to getting from one box to another in pretty quick time, whereas FIFA means having to work around the whole pitch, and even passing backwards.

My opinion of course, I'm pretty sure I'm right, whether PES fanboys wish to acknowledge this is the reason or not :)

FIFA runs a lot slower anyway, and also the pitch is a lot bigger so those two reasons will put a die-hard PES fan off straight away.

Not me. I've been playing PES for years and i really enjoy the game. However, i recently bought a noiseBOX 360 and i'm going to check out FIFA when it comes out, because i believe this year it warrants it. I don't like fast pace gameplay (remember when there was a speed slider to set it yourself?)

Radiation,

Am i ok to add you to my XBL peeps? :mrgreen:

I'd say yes but i've got rid of my 360 a few weeks ago now.

It bricked on me 3 times since launch which isnt too bad - but the replacement i got the 3rd time bricked a day later (The second time i turned the thing on!) so fed up i asked for a refund as i felt like id bought a pile of junk and been ripped off.

They did and with the 5 games i had on the 360 i ended up with about £450 so i bought a ps3 and im no longer afraid of leaving a console switched on downloading.
-

I'm gutted now though that EA games are running like shit on the PS3 - i wonder if Peter Moore has anything to do with it?

Finally got to play this today before work (made me half-an-hour late!).

Why oh why couldn't the demo have included the ability to swap the buttons around 'cause I can't play it on the "old" FIFA config!!!!

I'd read people saying it was tough to score but in my first game I scored after 6 minutes; cross from Giggs, chest and volley by Rooney.

So I'm thinking I'm great....3 games later and erm......no more goals scored (but none conceeded).

All in all, really pleased, couldn't see any negatives except perhaps the ref is a tad too easy going as I was trying deliberate fouls and not getting any cards.

Isn't it wierd playing with no commentary though!?

Finally got to play this today before work (made me half-an-hour late!).

Why oh why couldn't the demo have included the ability to swap the buttons around 'cause I can't play it on the "old" FIFA config!!!!

I'd read people saying it was tough to score but in my first game I scored after 6 minutes; cross from Giggs, chest and volley by Rooney.

So I'm thinking I'm great....3 games later and erm......no more goals scored (but none conceeded).

All in all, really pleased, couldn't see any negatives except perhaps the ref is a tad too easy going as I was trying deliberate fouls and not getting any cards.

Isn't it wierd playing with no commentary though!?

You can change the buttons in settings mate.

Well you can choose from a numeber of different configs, although EA have moved a couple of things around so you're perhaps not going to find a config that has everything in the same place as before, it's really a case of choosing which functions you must have on certain buttons, for me things like sprint=RT , Shoot=X and Lob=B

Well yellows and reds are in there, I just got a straight red, hacked a player down from behind in the box as Milito of Barca and the ref gave a penno and straight red :)

Same here, studeep. Just got back from the PS3, I'm really impressed with the game. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow, I need to get some sleep. :p

Kobashi, the finesse shot = :r1: + :circle:. :)

Another way of shooting? :shock:

Jesus christ, the controls of Fifa are seriously harder to master than PES's. There are so many ways to pass, shoot, cross and run.

Loads Prof Nutmeg, check back in the last 10 pages or so, you'll find quite a few vids :)

Well so far its been a very positive response to the game. With the most obvious negative from the more hardcore pes fans being the speed and responsetime. Which i think is valid, especially if you are playing fifa after only recently playing pes.

Something i was trying to say yesterday that i couldnt get out properly was the difference in playing styles, well i figured it out.

In pes if you see a player with a bit of space infront/around him, say for example a winger, you pass the ball into the space infront of him and then he will go after the ball and you end up crossing/dribbling/etc. But the key is that you make him move by passing the ball. In fifa its the otherway round, you have to keep possesion and wait for a player to make a run/create space and then you pass. It seems something small, but it really does make a big difference to how you need to pass/play the game.

Whether you like it or not is a different matter, some will find that you dont have enough control because of it, other will say thats how football is played and it highlights the team ethic of the sport. I think its great, however I do notice how much of the ball i lose by trying to make something happen. Especially when attacking, most of the time ive tried to pass to a player so i can make him do a run/dribble/etc but more often then not the defender gets the ball. However if i keep possesion and wait for a player to make a run, then pass, it works. He gets the ball and has space to then do something. As mentioned with the xavi example, the get/give/ask method of playing. I also noticed this alot when i changed tevez for saha. Tevez for the most part stays central with defenders around him, meaning that most of the balls i played to him (in the pes manner) meant i lost possesion. Saha actually made a lot more runs and had more movement allowing me to keep possesion of the ball higher up the pitch as he was making space for himself for me to pass to.

Offcourse the game has some issues, as pes does. Some more prominant then others, and some maybe to be found in the full game.

As for the redbull vs barca example that redbull were too good, could it also be to do with fatigue? Its only the first half, and in real life a lot of teams make the extra effort against the top sides but in the end wear themselves out too much and the difference is visible in the second half? Could be, hope so.

I agree with that completely, PES to me is arcadey compared to Fifa, Fifa is a simulation of football, much, much more than PES is or will ever be if the direction it's been going over recent versions is anything to go by.

wow :shock:

Good points there tiktik. I think you're right in the different styles of playing between PES and FIFA, even with regards to FIFA 07 and 08. FIFA 08 definately asks you to keep hold of the ball and use corerct judgement even for what you'd assume would be a simple pass. Which is how it should be, you should have to look for an open player, in real life you can't expect to pass to someone who's got a defender on top of them, and expect your player to keep hold of the ball. Sure, he might, but chances are he wont. And this game makes you look for the open player. Top stuff :)

Tiktiktik, you made some good points and it is good to see that you are willing to see that there ARE some minor points in playing FIFA. Pitty that some people have the approach that everything of the game is good, like Placebo. Placebo, 'your' game IS really good, but not 100%. Talking about percentages: There are more than 5% of the people who are critical.
This is a discussion about FIFA, it is no PR-place for the game. ;)
What do you guys think about the radar?

I enjoy it, im slightly dissapointed, but after the hype, thats kinda to be expected. this usually happens. pro evo is supposed to have a smaller pitch, but i feel in pro evo i can get the ball, and just look and decide what im gonna do, i feel in fifa, the pressure your put under is inbelievable. its very very hard to just take it past one player. no players that are fast like henry and etoo are able to really beat defenders like they should.

i really really like it and will buy it, but after playing it i went back to pro evo and felt really comfortable and happy. im not a fanboy, not at all. i like them both, its just very very hard for them to co exist. due to all the buttons and tricks, it seems like you'd kinda have to make a choice and stick with it to get the best out of that game. i didnt score in my first 5 matches, then scored an open goal header, then just had 2 games where i won 1-0 in both, and both were good goals, and in one of those games i decided to chance my luck from about 40 yards, the ball swerved and dipped, it was really cool, and the keeper scrambled backwards, and flew through the air and tipped it over, it looked amazing.

the shooting is really good, its a really good game, i just feel its all about perseverance, and will take time to get used to.

this and pro evo 2008 will finally give gamers 2 good footy gamews in the 1 year!

So, a very important issue that I've not yet seen mentioned in the post-demo reviews, any sign of cpu cheats?

I've heard one or two comments about players being locked into runs until they reach the ball (or the cpu reaches the ball first). Presumably, super-cancel doesn't work here - a bit like how super-cancel in PES conveniently doesn't work all the time -but if that's it, no other signs of the cpu controlling your guys, making them run the wrong way, making them slow down so they can't get to the ball first, scripted deflections straight to cpu all the time, every tackle near the touch-line is scripted to cause the ball to speed out for a throw to the cpu, 100% biased referees, every tackle by you is a foul, every tackle by the cpu is "play-on", your guys standing like statues to allow cpu to score, cpu keeper is a hero every match but your keeper has jelly hands, laws of physics endlessly changes to favour the cpu team, your guys stumble for no reason just so they lose the ball, every sholder charge results in your guy spinning 360 and falling but cpu guy just keeps running, scripted balloon shots from 1 yard, scripted passes at 1mph so you lose the ball, and the famous cpu turbo-boost?

Any of that fun-destroying PES crap here?

Last edited:

That's because Fifa is a simulation not an arcade game :)
Really?
Where are the formations-screens where you can pin-point your strategy?
Where are the running lines for the players individually?
Where is the option to pick attackers to man-mark?
Where can you see the CPU changes its formation during the match?
I can go on for a while, but as long as FIFA does not have the ability to change it's strategies as precise as in PES the are at best a semi-simulation...

I've found I can run past players easy enough, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Henry and Messi have all been able to sprint past players down the wing for me :)

Well I have noticed that your players are locked in runs and run away from passes and you cannot stop that, and usually the computer ends up with the ball, this is pretty much the only reason I lose the ball, dribbling round players is realtively easy, also when the computer crosses, might just be me, but the computer usually win the headers, attacking or defending, all my clearance headers always go to a computer aswell, as my midfield crowd my own box, so its like 8 defenders, and 2 forwards, and they swamp the midfield, so they always recieve it. There isnt no super cancel, which I would of found useful to say the least. Also whoever said free kicks are harder, there is no way that is true, they are so easy!

Im just downloading the PS3 demo aswell, see how it goes, hopefully I will play the gf later aswell, as she hates the 360 controller, prefers the PS one, so I will see what she thinks about it too. Thursday will be the real tester though :)

Really?
Where are the formations-screens where you can pin-point your strategy?
Where are the running lines for the players individually?
Where is the option to pick attackers to man-mark?
Where can you see the CPU changes its formation during the match?
I can go on for a while, but as long as FIFA does not have the ability to change it's strategies as precise as in PES the are at best a semi-simulation...

I'm pretty sure most of those are in the game when you pick your start before the match? Not sure if you can do anything in the demo (haven't tried changing players), but I'm sure in FIFA 07 and UCL you could change tactics, markings etc at the line-up screen

That's because Fifa is a simulation not an arcade game :)

Yes, I like these advanced controls. Hopefully experienced players will have a huge advantage after they have mastered the controls.

Tiktiktik, you made some good points and it is good to see that you are willing to see that there ARE some minor points in playing FIFA. Pitty that some people have the approach that everything of the game is good, like Placebo. Placebo, 'your' game IS really good, but not 100%. Talking about percentages: There are more than 5% of the people who are critical.
This is a discussion about FIFA, it is no PR-place for the game.
What do you guys think about the radar?

Well, you need to give Fifa more of a chance too. Your arguments against it aren't really convincing:

-"PES has better animations" -> Err, Fifa has the best animations ever.
-"Bad Passing" -> You just need to get used to it. There are far more possibilities in your passing game, especially if you set everything to manual.
-"Tactical mess in my own defense" -> Again, too early to judge on that. Did you try different formations and man mark settings?

On base of the demo you can change a whole formation and exchange players on their positions, but you cannot pick players and move it around and edit it's position. Yeah, maybe you can man-mark in the full game, but I doubt if the game has the in-depht strategical possibillities of PES and that is for me the fun to use :)

Back
Top Bottom