FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Just noticed something: there's no 360 movement, only 8 directions. With Ronaldinho on the training ground you can notice this easily. Just like PES.

Yes it's odd, I set everything on manual and was trying to pass around with my defenders. I could only pass straight down, at a 45 degree and angle or forwards.

Sometimes I'd get a different angle if it's going straight to a player, but rarely. I don't find this analogue at all, I think FIFA 2002 had more analogue passing than this. I don't get the hype at all.

I just love it.

Much better game than 07 infact a completely different game for me.

Cannot understand how anyone feels its the same.

Anyway, its just fantastic and I am off to bed.:(

Okay, my idea about the demo:

First of all I have to say it's far better than the FIFA PC demo, which was virtually a FIFA 07 engine. This one has improved on the overall gameplay. In fact it is the best FIFA sofar.
You must know I am the passing type and I did not try a single trick. That is not how I want to play.
One thing which does not work well enough compared with PES is the passing.
Sometimes the ball will not go where I want it to go, especially when defenders pass. That causes chances for my opponent. I think the response of the direction is not good enough.
The dribbling is great, as you may expect from a game that was originally an arcadegame. You can turn en twist easily. Shooting is nice too.
My main problem of the game is the positioning from the defensive point of view. Sometimes it is really a mess :)Positioning when attacking works better. Players off the ball come forward as they should, so that is worked out well.
So in general I have to say it is a long time ago I enjoyed another game then PES, but this one was fun. I played it 15 halfs, won 3 with 1-0 lost 2 ( 0-1, 0-2 ) and all others were 0-0.
I give it another try tomorrow and hopefully I can improve. In that case I will buy FIFA08 too, like I will certainly buy PES 2008.
You know, I like to play with tactics and PES is still the game for tactics.
But I can understand the joy of the players who are so happy about this :)

Right men, the game plays best, for me, with these configurations:

Auto switching: One bar
Pass Assistance: Assisted
Through Pass Assistance: Manual
Shot Assistance: Manual
Cross Assistance: Semi
Lob Pass Assistance: Manual

This way, you can play it to the closet man easily without it fucking up, and you can play it ANYWHERE with through ball. Ergo you have two ways of passing, manual or auto for a short pass! Best of both worlds!

:)

Team America plays like a pile of wank on my 360 :S. They keep passing the ball to me by accident, they are shite!

After my marathon session I really must get to bed. Just a few things, anyone who can't notice the difference between 07 and this simply doesn't want to notice the difference, it's a different animal altogether. Next this is an older build Hienze is still at Man Utd and the nets are the old steel ones in the first vids and not the recent ones. Responsivness has been improved further in the final build I read from a trusted source. Next this game is hard as nails but it doesn't help that you have to end after 4 mins so you can't really get into your stride. All in all I'm very happy and I'm sure we'll be even happier with the final game.

I guess the league is a definate then? As I'm sure enough people are happy enough with just this older build demo so will be even happier with the final game.

I got my passing setting changed after two games ( from which I lost one 2-0 ) and now it is also assisted and manual. Cross also assisted, but it did not help me to score. All three goals where after a short spell of passing, followed by a through-pass.

Now my main gripe, all this talk about super control and freedom is bull, I never really call many games scripted as such, but this is the only way I can describe it, when you pass it the player runs AWAY from the ball it so annoying, and you cant stop them! Secondly crosses or clearances when the yellow x appears, your players are STUCK on a set route to it, you cannot move them out of it, its like its a script to move to the plus.

:lol:

The amount of times I was shouting "MOVE TO THE FUCKING BALL" when playing some passes. Even when passing to a player in space the pass is so slow and you can't do anything about the opponant running in a nicking the ball.

They even run away from balls, you have the arrow over their heads and can do nothing, it reminds me of PES2, I never had this gripe with the old FIFAs.

i can only presume the 360 demo is far better than the PS3 one because this game is the epitome of average.
I just cannot believe this is the demo that has people have been raving about.

Well ive been on for 2-3 hours now and I cant seem to drag myself away, it just seems to get better and better and better!

Im DEFINATLY in the league :)

I played the 360-version. Tomorrow I will download the PS3 version to see if it makes any difference.

Yes it's odd, I set everything on manual and was trying to pass around with my defenders. I could only pass straight down, at a 45 degree and angle or forwards.

Sometimes I'd get a different angle if it's going straight to a player, but rarely. I don't find this analogue at all, I think FIFA 2002 had more analogue passing than this. I don't get the hype at all.

Actually I meant the movement of the players. You can only move in 8 directions just like in PES. And there were always a lot of people saying that PES was stone-age because it didn't have full 360º movement. Well, Fifa doesn't have it either.

All I can say is that its a great game but the controls are too hard to get used to. Shooting needs to be tweaked but its still fun. EA are really making some good progress with this. I'm predicting it'll be a perfect game in another 2 years time.

The only difference is you can't use the d-[ad to control FIFA, it would actually be better for some to use the d-pad for FIFA, it's 8 way just like PES.

The only difference is you can't use the d-[ad to control FIFA, it would actually be better for some to use the d-pad for FIFA, it's 8 way just like PES.

It would probably make it more responsive. I remember that in some previous version you could choose analog or digital control. Shame they took it out to promote non existent 360º movement... :(

Who started this whole FIFA had 360 degree control thing?

Did someone just misread the "Manual passing" thing, or think that because you can't use the d-pad that it's fully analogue?

Well, I'm really getting pissed watching as Henry, Etoo, Ronaldinho and Messi seem powerless against the world class defence of Red Bulls and América. I'm not even outrunning them.

Another thing getting on my nerves which can be labeled as cpu cheating:
When you pass a ball to a teammate, you're on a rail with the receiving player, can't do shit till the ball reaches you and usually a defender intercepts it. Sometimes the other way around the Cpu is on a rail trying to receive the pass and the game forces my player (controlled by me) to make a little change in direction so that the ball can get to it's receiver.

Still haven't scored, hit the post, the bar, a teammate, defenders, Gk, but not the back of the net. It's making me angry and therefore the little things that piss me off grow to epic proportions...

All I can say is that its a great game but the controls are too hard to get used to. Shooting needs to be tweaked but its still fun. EA are really making some good progress with this. I'm predicting it'll be a perfect game in another 2 years time.

We say that every year I 've personally given uop and am saying this is the best it's gonna get like it or leave it

maybe its just me but tapping the sprint button works well and barca are a force so much quicker than the rest :)

using the finesse shot in the box works well for those struggling to score.
it works almost too well infact.

Team America plays like a pile of wank on my 360 :S. They keep passing the ball to me by accident, they are shite!

well then that is bullshit then, they definatley would give alot of european teams a very even match.. especially when they had blanco last year... the stats for team american are too low, they are a very good squad.. not even one of the best in south america, the south american teams i have a feeling are going to get stupidily low ratings.. which is not realistic

:shock:Wow!! what a game... its 4:38AM and i'm still going at it!!!! trust me that says a lot,,...:applause:... just WOW!!

Just played the ps3 demo, and im not impressed, The 360 version is miles better, the graphics dont seem half as good, theres slowdown in the area if its crowded, the controls are a nightmare using the L2+R2, its not totally bad tho, you get to play in a different stadium with an english anouncer, the german was getting on my tits on the 360, still going to be a good game but its going to be a lot better on 360 I think

only played two games as had to get bed early but I very impressed. the shooting is great! honestly you know can put the ball wherever you want it. I spent 10 mins in the arena just picking my shots.

how do you do finesse shot?

Passing is superb and i have not had problems with headers yet. everytime CPU put in crosses my defence was doing well. problem is we only get 4 mins.

Same here, studeep. Just got back from the PS3, I'm really impressed with the game. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow, I need to get some sleep. :p

Kobashi, the finesse shot = :r1: + :circle:. :)

well just tested the USA demo in my PS3. :( i really dont like it. 360 version must(and hope for them) be better.

PS3 demo in my case has delays on buttons, sluggish "cutscenes" and dull gameplay. Dont know how to express it, it just Doesnt feel right :*(
The upside is really good gfx and music.

Im not trying to put down the game, but i cant understand what people seems to find in fifa. So far my experience in PS3 sucks.
im dissapointed and hope PES do a far far far better job.
:(

Have been playing the PS3 FIFA 08 demo for several hours and am dissapointed. It's pretty, but to me the players generally feel sluggish and the ball feels floaty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom