FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Another PS3 user, very strange, the two versions were supposed to be identical, I guess they're having problems with the PS3 version......

FIFA 08 demo now available on XBL in Europe, New Zealand, and Mexico.

Go get it boys, wot u waiting fer??

Played the demo for a bit, took me bloody ages to download the bastard, and made me realise why i switched to PES years ago..Very slow and doesnt even look that great.. Close up the players look good and all and its better than 07 but just not feeling it.. It just makes me want to play PES that much more..
I hope the 360 version is better than the PS3 one..

@ Placebo - hahaha .... yea i know, but there's a couple of guys in here who are still patiently waiting for UK release if I recall .... something about not wanting to create another user account and all that.

Anyway, looks like it's just u and me running on Asian timezone. the others are fast asleep.

Hmmm .... another PS3 complaint. Gonna download on my PS3 tonite and compare.

Going to try the PS3 version now and see if it's any different. It's good that EA are letting us compare both versions before release, I wish other games did the same.

Well i eventually managed to get my hands on the 360 demo at 11:21pm last night.

Played 4 games, 3 ended 0-0, 1 ended 1-0 to moi.

I love it, it is easily the best football game i have played, its a total different feel to fifa 07 and ucl, but a feel that can only be described as Jack put it yesterday "beautiful".

How anyone can call the ball floaty are surley crazy? Its a lot more heavier this year and the ball moves around the park brilliantly.

Im not one to review the game in and out, but i rate this game highly, it has a few floors, but doesnt every game.

Roll on 28th September.

Lol, the whole day everyone likes it, and suddenly 3 people complain about it within 5 minutes.......

so let them.. dont be immature about it. There is no reason to get all defensive. Everyone has there views. And who cares if someone doesnt like a game u really like.. As u have demonstrated, we are all fanboys at heart defending the games we like. But remember, there are always people not liking the game you like *pats him on the shoulder*

The PS3 demo is basically the same except that it uses a different stadium, the frame rate can be choppy when a lot is happening and there's some jaggies that aren't there in the 360 version.

The PS3 demo is basically the same except that it uses a different stadium, the frame rate can be choppy when a lot is happening and there's some jaggies that aren't there in the 360 version.

Wanna see the final version due to the recnt videos looking different i.e nets

Haven't downloaded the demo yet, but i have been watching some movies in this thread.
As a somebody who did not like FIFA very much, i must say i'm impressed. The movie that Noted posted with the passing game is amazing...this evening i will download the demo and i'm pretty soon i will buy the game.

I just hope you can't score much goals like Messi's...the defending was horrible on that one...but i guess that happens IRL too...

Was impressed by the "fluke goal"..the cross that went into the goal...while these are freak accidents, it was very convincing...of course if this would happen almost every match it would not be realistic but somehow i'm pretty confident it will not be like that...

@ Thomas: if you are as biased as that, you should better not post...i have defended you recently because you are not a native speaker...but your comment about the shooting in this thread is childish and provocative...

I must say i think the demo is the prebuild, before the final version, Ive seen video's that are a little more advanced, but still even if it is a pre-build it runs smoothly and its such a joy to play!!

After my marathon session I really must get to bed. Just a few things, anyone who can't notice the difference between 07 and this simply doesn't want to notice the difference, it's a different animal altogether. Next this is an older build Hienze is still at Man Utd and the nets are the old steel ones in the first vids and not the recent ones. Responsivness has been improved further in the final build I read from a trusted source. Next this game is hard as nails but it doesn't help that you have to end after 4 mins so you can't really get into your stride. All in all I'm very happy and I'm sure we'll be even happier with the final game.

I guess the league is a definate then? As I'm sure enough people are happy enough with just this older build demo so will be even happier with the final game.

Just to quote myself,

It's not the final build.

Not sure what game other people are playing or if they are just that desperate for something better from FIFA games, it just isn't very good in all honesty.

That's simply your opinion. That's what people need to realize there is no universal guideline as to what is enjoyable. Some will like it, some won't, simple!

this is just other mediocre fifa game to me.

incredible sound and licensing, but terrible gameplay (more sluggish than ive ever seen it). I could go into all the many small details of the ball physics, player movement, passing, shooting, reactions, timing, but put simply its just not football. not even close. which for me is disappointing after seeing that brilliant video of the game at the games convention, i really had some high hopes.

as far as graphics...meh having good graphics means nothing if the players themselves dont look human. they all look like block heads or an undeveloped version of the human species...and lets face it...kind of scary.

goddamn it! whats with the negative comments of late? i just went out and spent 220 dollars to get a harddrive just for the demo! im downloading it now, im a huge pes fan but like many of u im being converted and i was so excited about getting this, download of demo is taking ages! once i get it i really hope im not dissapointed, the thing that made me go and get a harddrive is all the positive comments from die hard pro evo fans, i really hope its good otherwise i will be shattered! i just want a beutiful football game and this sounds like the real deal, please god dont i hope im not let down! im fairly confident though that i will like it

The demo is uploaded now to Usenet:

Extract and either...

1) Burn iso to dvd-/+r and play

or

2) Mount iso and Upload to your xbox hard-drive using X-Sata and Xplorer360 onto Partition3 in the correct location

This is an nzb - fifa08_demo_360.nzb - 0.23MB , save it and open with your usenet client and you can download the files.

If you don't know what usenet or nzb is then read here: http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited:

goddamn it! whats with the negative comments of late?

Negative comments are down to:

1. PS3 owners and the PS3 demo really is a poor build compared to the 360 build which just runs lovely and smooth.
2. People who cannot accept that a certain game by Konami is no longer the daddy.

But if you look at this thread, 95% of comments are positive, of the 5% negative most seem to be PS3 owners and a couple are just people from certain other threads who apparently want to do some trolling (despite the fact they bitch and moan when anyone posts anything negative in the threads of their beloved game by a Japanese developer).

My name is Paul Statham, I have an Xbox360 and am a Fifa08'aholic :)

Could someone pls explain how to shoot in this game i'm battling like hell. What iv'e noticed shooting is more acurate when not running. but i'm stilll bad at it. imo the game is growing on me.

FIFA:

You either love it or hate it.

Thankfully I love it. The football feels more real than PES (im basing my theory on PES6 Xbox 360 - wouldnt be fair to judge PES2008 just yet). PES feel more arcadey, and im a realist.

Althought i do enjoy playing both, i think FIFA will get the thumbs up, i just cant see PES making any drastic change to the previous title. (I hope im wrong)

1. PS3 owners and the PS3 demo really is a poor build compared to the 360 build which just runs lovely and smooth.
2. People who cannot accept that a certain game by Konami is no longer the daddy.

But if you look at this thread, 95% of comments are positive, of the 5% negative most seem to be PS3 owners and a couple are just people from certain other threads who apparently want to do some trolling (despite the fact they bitch and moan when anyone posts anything negative in the threads of their beloved game by a Japanese developer).

thats what i needed to hear! i have a 360, so im just waiting now, but some of the other forums like soccergaming.com there is a lot of negativity about it saying it looks shit etc, i guess they must be ps3 owners, man this download is taking ages, i cant wait anymore, thanks placebo u have given me strength!

My negatives are actual negatives, especially the players when recieving the ball and the keepers are total useless.

I guess I will have to try out the PS3 demo, I will download it in about 2 hours or so, and compare teams :)

Also I dont think stats matter much, every player seem to control the ball exactly the same and also pass with the same amount of skill and accuracy and power, manual or not.

Okay, my idea about the demo:

First of all I have to say it's far better than the FIFA PC demo, which was virtually a FIFA 07 engine. This one has improved on the overall gameplay. In fact it is the best FIFA sofar.
You must know I am the passing type and I did not try a single trick. That is not how I want to play.
One thing which does not work well enough compared with PES is the passing.
Sometimes the ball will not go where I want it to go, especially when defenders pass. That causes chances for my opponent. I think the response of the direction is not good enough.
The dribbling is great, as you may expect from a game that was originally an arcadegame. You can turn en twist easily. Shooting is nice too.
My main problem of the game is the positioning from the defensive point of view. Sometimes it is really a mess :)Positioning when attacking works better. Players off the ball come forward as they should, so that is worked out well.
So in general I have to say it is a long time ago I enjoyed another game then PES, but this one was fun. I played it 15 halfs, won 3 with 1-0 lost 2 ( 0-1, 0-2 ) and all others were 0-0.
I give it another try tomorrow and hopefully I can improve. In that case I will buy FIFA08 too, like I will certainly buy PES 2008.
You know, I like to play with tactics and PES is still the game for tactics.
But I can understand the joy of the players who are so happy about this :)

my words han! thanks...

...but the gaolie must improve...all crosses comes in but the goalie don´t go in the ball! in PES, i try to block some high balls from corner or freekicks with the goalie but in the demo evey time i move the gaolie i get a goal...

Just a crapper that we wont get a PES demo until about 3 months after release if PES 06 is anything to go by

I agree paul.

There are always going to be people that decide its not for them because its FIFA after 5 games they think its the same as any other FIFA, which is clearly rediculous.

What I can't get is the fact that we were once all die hard PES fans and now we are not, so it does not take a genious to work out the correlation between going from one game to another.

For those that say its nothing like football are on a different planet in my book, it plays like football, players do not magically spin around liko Jacko when receiving a ball, there are sequence's of events that dictate the animation and I think EA have done a cracking Job.

Watch a premier league match, the ball does not ping around players on rails, its played into space and deliberately played into feet.Sometimes these passes are short or over hit and this is simulated also very well in the demo.

Shooting feels great and difficult to master, but its not ridiculous like a previous version of PES, at least you feel you are in control and thus its far more rewarding than the lottery of shoot and balloon.

I found it easy to dictate the pace(on manual) but difficult to mount serious sustained pressure,this will improve once I have mastered the free reign of passing, judging the weight and direction.

Nothing seems scripted to me, I have had a couple of heart stopping moments in the box where a couple of shots were blocked and the ball bounced agonisingly across the face of the goal.I had a shot from rooney that my defender blocked, but it him on the shin and skimmed over the top of my keeper.

I have heard some comments regarding the defensive heading that it favours the attackers.Not so in my games (around20), I cleared 90% of my crosses and defended the wide area's well, this is a massive improvement for me as well as the tackling which made me wince once or twice with some real crunches.

The ball physics are the best thing about the game (the most important too IMO) the spina nd weight is perfect for me and you can feel the pace of the longer passes now the player seems to put more effort and swing into the animation.If you watch closely the ball behaves different in accordance with its spin both in the air and on the ground, its beautiful to watch and I feel in control.

Free kicks are harder due to the complexity of the shooting and this is a good thing too, the set pieces are a little basic in that its pretty difficult to pick a spot but I can live with that.

The other thing that has got my attention are the keepers.The animation is spooky at times and they make some brilliant saves as well as some despairing dives for those out of thier reach.I had a couple of one on ones both for and against and the keeper reacted how he should have done.

This is so different to 07 and UCL in my book, its heavier,more dynamic and free flowing, I do not feel constraints in the way I pass or shoot and its far,far harder.I love the challenge and its going to be difficult to master but i think it will reward those that want to play it like football and punish those that want to play it like an arcade game.

The tricks look superb but and are nicely built into the players stats, i tried various tricks with scholes and he just did not cut the mustard, whilst ronaldo was pacey and balanced.the other thing I like is the fact that they are difficult to pull off in the heat of a game, you have to slow down and think what your next move is, not just fiddle the stick in full sprint (PES)as you just cock it up.

I am glad they have added the shot feint for those one on one moments as you feel you can actually outwit the keeper now rather than just shooting past him.

Anyway I have said enough, the game is magnificent,organic and free.The graphics are improved from 07 & UCL,its a different game full stop, with added clubs and a deep manager mode I do not think there is going to be room for another football game.

As good as PES is, its too much arcade now for me.This is how I like my football games.

does anyone know how to shoot left or right on penalty kicks?... i did it once and cant do it again

Edit: Nevermind found out. Have to hold the direction you want to kick before you press x.

How about curling free kicks?

Last edited:

Ok to Sum up...for me at least...

Pros:

Good movement, first touch and pass animation is nice.
Shooting feels a bit better than 07
Passing seems crisper.
Framerate (during play) seems nice and smooth
Crowd sounds (again during play) are nice.
Like the way the ball spins off the foot realistically - will make for some nice looking goals.

Cons (and yes we all hope these are demo bugs)

No deafening roar when you score - ok doesnt have to be THAT loud but is quite muted - like scoring away in europe or something (whoever scores)

Players run weird - cant quite put my finger on it but they just dont look right running.

Keepers are spastastic under a cross ball... running out the the 6 yard line and then diving BACK towards your goal to try and catch a ball and then missing it isnt the best - might be down to the settings though.

Framerate during cut scenes (xbox and ps3) is shocking and the players look .. weird.

No ref / linesmen? (demo only perhaps?)

-----------------

All in all I thought the game was OK - didnt live up to the hype in my opinions its not leaps and bounds better than 07 - although it is better.

Hopefully the final game will address some of the issues I have with it.
I was really looking forward to fifa this year and this has only disappointed me - its just doesnt feel right to me. Maybe Im just too used to pro evo...

I wish I liked the demo as much as some of you guys do..... sometimes I wonder if its the same game :/

Last edited:

As good as PES is, its too much arcade now for me.This is how I like my football games.

I agree with that completely, PES to me is arcadey compared to Fifa, Fifa is a simulation of football, much, much more than PES is or will ever be if the direction it's been going over recent versions is anything to go by.

One thing I'm especially loving is the extremely subtle deflections that the ball can take, a number of times the AI has had a shot which has gone wide, next thing it's a corner, as I play on "tele" I just couldn't see the deflection but on replay you can clearly see the most subtle deflections (which beautifully and correctly affects the spin and flight of the ball), there's going to be some really realistic goals scored that take a slight nick off a defender and loop into the net or just wrong foot the keeper and such, think it was Noted or Coopz? Who already showed a clip where a shot took a massive deflection and only a stunning tip over by Kahn stopped the ball from looping into the net.

Anyone remember the goal we conceded to Germany in the Italia 90 semi where Paul Parker rushed the freekick and it spooned off him and looped over Peter Shilton? That kind of goal is going to be completely possible with the physics and collision engine that EA has built, IMO they've done a stunning job.

Back
Top Bottom