FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Taking ages to download for me.

Couple of questions.. is the arena included in the demo and is there commentary?

this is superb, just downloaded it and played 3 games....straight away i notice it's a step up from UCL, keepers are amazing and the movement of the ball it's top notch

thoughts on the bad things ive noticed.

1) difficulty defending CPU crosses. seems only one player ever goes up for the ball and 85% of the time it's the CPU.

2) super-human defense. would be understandable if the game was on World Class, but there is way too much pressure for the 2nd lowest skill level. shitty D teams like NY red bulls cover spaces just as well as barca or manu.

3) off-the ball reaction by human team. don't cover spaces as well as the CPU. don't cut off many passing lanes and don't respond to loose ball situations fast enough. i've experience many times where my corner is defended out of the penalty box into scholes' territory yet the game refuses to allow me to switch to him for a rebound shot.

4) super-human CPU ai is present every so often. NY red bulls would sometimes be impossible to take the ball away from a la UCL when the CPU was down 1. ferdinand riding altidore for 10m+ shouldn't be occurring considering the size differences and skill difference.

5) every player feels the same. pace is represented pretty well, but ronaldinho dribbles exactly like g. neville save for the trick stick skills. i feel as if im never fully in control of my player.

6) shooting. set it to manual and tried to aim my shots to no avail. i managed to score an outswinging cracker with Zlatan, but overall, my shots are always on the keeper or just wide... like UCL.

i LOVE the arena mode. everything has been modeled greatly and the shooting feels terrific! just doesn't feel as if it translates over to the 11v11 game like in fifa07. be a pro mode is enticing since it will resemble arena mode in that you only control 1 player. vast improvement over UCL. and yes, i use unassisted everything except for regular passes (semi).

finally, how do you curl the ball during free kicks? i've never been a fan of fifa FKs, but when i press the dpad in arena mode and get a free kick, R10 won't curl it even if i press RB, LB, etc...

I played the ps3 and 360 demo all night, i played against the CPU and played against my son. Playing against another person is so much better. As a pes player i have to say that this is a very impressive game and much more next gen then my beloved pes.

One thing really struck me. The 360 version looks a LOT better but the ps3 version has better gameplay. It's a bit faster and responsive. It's also more dynamic and explosive compared to the 360 version. Unfortunately, the ps3 version also plays choppy and suffers from occasional bad framedrops.

I hope the final versions will combine the ps3's gameplay and the 360's graphics and framerate.

Guys. I thought it was good when I hadnt really got hang of the buttons etc. Wait untill you start to learn how to play. Its unbelievable.

Im starting to notice little things too, for example, I have the ball with xavi...I pass to my left back. As soon as i pass it he comes back and gives me the support i need to play him it back. It reminded me so much of what gerrard and alonso do, get it, give it, asks for it back. Fucking awesome.

Just had my best ever half. Bayern (me) 3 - Man Utd 3 - SHOTS :lol:

My first real open game, was class. All my shots went wide, but I have it on manual shooting so itll take some time.

Dont know why people are having problems with heading. I think its great, you win and lose your fair share. Its all about positing and timing it with the jockey button and then pressing your head button :)

ive been playing this all night and can honestly say its fantastic.

There is little to no difference in ps3 and 360 imo and i have played both extensively.

No framerate issues at all.

I agree about the nets they do look different in the more recent videos.

ive been playing this all night and can honestly say its fantastic.

There is little to no difference in ps3 and 360 imo and i have played both extensively.

No framerate issues at all.

I agree about the nets they do look different in the more recent videos.

Be a Pro cam is a ugly 30 FPS though...:(

erm some ive found myself and found on forums

PS3 - On the control scheme 'new'

Kick ups - Hold L2 and tap R1 over and over

Hold L2 and rotate the right anologue stick 360' to pull off the obvious

Rainbow flick - You flick down then flick it up fast, hold it there and just as the ball is flicked flick it again and ronaldinho will knock it over his head

Impressions now that i've had more time with the demo.

I scored! i finally scored! ok it was on a penalty kick but i scored! i scored!

Thats pretty much it...

the game has a STEEP learning curve and is difficult as all heck.

BUt it's amazing to play :)

thoughts on the bad things ive noticed.

1) difficulty defending CPU crosses. seems only one player ever goes up for the ball and 85% of the time it's the CPU.

2) super-human defense. would be understandable if the game was on World Class, but there is way too much pressure for the 2nd lowest skill level. shitty D teams like NY red bulls cover spaces just as well as barca or manu.

3) off-the ball reaction by human team. don't cover spaces as well as the CPU. don't cut off many passing lanes and don't respond to loose ball situations fast enough. i've experience many times where my corner is defended out of the penalty box into scholes' territory yet the game refuses to allow me to switch to him for a rebound shot.

4) super-human CPU ai is present every so often. NY red bulls would sometimes be impossible to take the ball away from a la UCL when the CPU was down 1. ferdinand riding altidore for 10m+ shouldn't be occurring considering the size differences and skill difference.

5) every player feels the same. pace is represented pretty well, but ronaldinho dribbles exactly like g. neville save for the trick stick skills. i feel as if im never fully in control of my player.

6) shooting. set it to manual and tried to aim my shots to no avail. i managed to score an outswinging cracker with Zlatan, but overall, my shots are always on the keeper or just wide... like UCL.

i LOVE the arena mode. everything has been modeled greatly and the shooting feels terrific! just doesn't feel as if it translates over to the 11v11 game like in fifa07. be a pro mode is enticing since it will resemble arena mode in that you only control 1 player. vast improvement over UCL. and yes, i use unassisted everything except for regular passes (semi).

finally, how do you curl the ball during free kicks? i've never been a fan of fifa FKs, but when i press the dpad in arena mode and get a free kick, R10 won't curl it even if i press RB, LB, etc...
altiodre is a stong strappin lad mate...and he isnt a bad player either, he will be in a top european league very soon, he is only 17 but has the physique of a 25 year old, ala Lebron James

Oh and if you leave the demo on the 'press start' screen you'll get the tricks video playing that explains how to do a few more tricks and then shows them on the field in action.

Not sure if this was posted before but while holding LT press RS and he'll do the Blanco jump, like Blanco of Mexico who puts the ball between his feet and jumps with it.

Right my review, first I will talk about the first 5 mins, as I played my girlfriend for the first game, ummmmm think it was Man U vs Barca, well before that we tested out the arena, the tricks are cool but seem odd, some commands do the same tricks its a bit fiddly, but got a bit used to it. Sorry to say but the shooting hasnt changed, I swear it hasnt feels EXACTLY the same, I let the GF have a go, and she scored some 30 yarders easily, I wouldnt say that was good, as she isnt really a gamer she just shoots and they went in, I tried it aswell, keeper is crappy tbh. One on one saves nothing, I countlessly scored from edge of box, in the bottom corner normal or finesse shots, lobbed him, and skinned him by turning right or left, and tapping it in... also it is only 8 directions and you CAN definately tell, I cant see how you CANT NOT see it tbh. Same turning as before aswell.

Anyway onto the match, was alright, looks alright from far, stadium and crowd look very nice, players up close are not very good, well I dont think, what else was there, oh um, all the players felt the same to me, cept Ronaldo as he seemed a bit faster, I tried tricks with most, most actually did the step over, feint things etc, ball floats still, shooting is bad in a match, I think its cause of the view not being straight on. She did alright, I won 1-0, Roone easy tap in, right under the keeper, he looks awful in this aswell, giggs did and so did neville, not very good facials. GF agreed aswell. She left, then I played the computer.

Moving on now, the computer, firstly in 2 games I used manual for everything, it seems similar you aim you tap the button, and it goes to someone, but more oftenly it goes to the computer, same with assisted it sometimes goes NO WHERE near the player you aim to, which I found annoying, computer are alright, they all played the same to me, got it to the wing tried crossing, or if they had free men in the centre went there, not anything amazing. Barca where a bit better as Eto, Ronaldinho, Henry are a fast triple upfront, but all teams played the same tbh. Conceeded a crap free kick though when I was playing as Marseille, on the left corner, Ronaldinho steps up curls it, keeper absolute flaps it, goal, cheaply, keepers ruined it for me totally. Anyway the rest of the game is pretty good, there was more I didnt like, corners and defensive headers.

Now my main gripe, all this talk about super control and freedom is bull, I never really call many games scripted as such, but this is the only way I can describe it, when you pass it the player runs AWAY from the ball it so annoying, and you cant stop them! Secondly crosses or clearances when the yellow x appears, your players are STUCK on a set route to it, you cannot move them out of it, its like its a script to move to the plus.

Well thats me, overall plays the same as Fifa UCL that I playd again earlier today, not really much different, personally its like FIFA 07 with added tricks and teams and shizzle.

Oh I rememebered something else while playing I thought every player ran the same speed, but actually Ronaldo, Cisse, Henry, Eto'o, Ronaldinho all run at a facer same speed, its like its speed of boundaries they run the same speed but sum are set to faster or something. They all dribble the same and feel the same. Jack the only reason I can say they feel more agile or stronger is the fact I compare them to real life and think Ronaldo is agile and tricky, so you try it and then you think the game does it, when in fact it doesnt, Rooney isnt even that powerful on the game.

I was hoping I would been blown away, but I have to say, in all honesty, it does seem like Fifa 07, bar the trick stick and the added teams, the looks are the SAME, faces are awful, facial animations, look like they are chewing on some sticky shite and the gameplay is similar, actually lastly ball reacts poo, too bouncy, especially when recieving, sometimes they control the ball to well and weird.

Thats me done, I will play it some more tho, so if my opinion changes, I feel knackered playing an 11 a side friendly, then 5 a side match, but after playing those, I think I can compare real life to the game and think its a fairish or harsh comparison however you see fit.

Its a fun game just not a great simulation, should be fun to play full game just because of modes and online though. Must add the throw ins are ace the way they twist the bodies.

And played one more game and I am really let down from the keepers got a video of how poo they are, had a free kick they are soo easy, I fluffed it under half way, side netting, keeper no where near, to easy. The script in recieving high balls is very annoying.

Last edited:

Seems to be some difference of opinion on a lot of points... shooting and heading for one. Not liking the fact there seems to be a load of tricks, especially ones you would never see in a real top flight game.. The game will no doubt differ from the demo so we'll have to wait and see if the Fifa boys are looking through Rosy spec's or the Pes fans are picking at straws...

Seraphs - Read you post, and have to say I totally disagree. It feels nothing like FIFA 07!!! I really do strongly disagree with most of what you say. This is the first fifa where ronaldinho isnt super speedy, he is technical, cisse is super speedy, not so technical, gary neville is poo, giggs is giggs, scholes is tenacious snapping at your heels, carrick is lazy. Tevez just tries to bomb through you. Team America are pants. There is a variety every game.

Ah well, gotta love the ole debates eh?! Hope you will still be joining our evoweb league ;)

Oh and for the trick dislikers. Most defenders cant do any skills other than a shimmy or a pooey stepover :)

Anyone here with the psn name dazimus?

I had someone add me today but just wondering who they are/how they know me

Anyone here with the psn name dazimus?

I had someone add me today but just wondering who they are/how they know me

I messaged them asking if they were from here, but with you being added as well it would somewhat prove that they are.

PS. your compilation on GameTrailers was very good. Tune?

Last edited:

I disagree they all feel the same technically besides the defence, even then i could do some tricks with them Neville wasnt poo, he ran about 80 yards played Rooney through and scored, I have conceeeded 2 real crap goals because of the keeper should of been 3 and I have this one on my phone, but the team america team put it wide from 2 yards with an open goal, as the goalkeeper again flapped it!

I will probably still be buying it, and also quick question is lob through pass still in, is it Y and LB? Cause I kept using LT and Y forgot to use LB :) Cause thats how you lob so I guess it should be the same :) I have to add Team America played like Barca on mine, they played very similar if anything. Its like their team stats meant nothing and I was Inter :O Cisse is technical aswell, well he was for me :D Spooned the shot wide after I milked to players though! Shooting is awful in game, very easy in arena.

Ok i played the 360 and ps3 version today i think the 360 version is better i don't like the ps3 pad at all. Oh and i think this is miles better than the others, i likes it.

The tunes - Buckethead- Jordan (Guitar Hero 2 Version)

I dont mind people adding me - i just prefer them to tell me how they know me.

I had someone add me on XBL and i asked them how they knew me - like from gamefaqs or some other forum and they replied saying 'I dont know you... but this is how you make friends moron... if its a problem then just say so'

I didn't have a problem ... but i did after that lol

Back
Top Bottom