FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

well i might have to take back what i said! I was playing at lunch and i was getting pissd off cause i was sucking, then i became bayern munich and changned the passing to semi assist, and i started kicking ass and the beatuy of the game came out. This isnt a game you can play once and be good at it, the controlls and evertyhing is so different. You have to give it lots and lots of time. Dont expect to pick it up and start winning like in pro evo...

AWESOME! That sounds great my man. I'm sure we will get the most out of it when we go online.

Last edited:

Got my PS3 cuz I didn't want the daily worry of 3 Red Lights, but now MS has the 3 year warranty and I've bought an Elite, my PS3 has gathered dust :( Sure there's LBP and maybe a few other exclusives, but I can't see my PS3 getting much playing time in for a year or so until devs unlock the power of the PS3.

Nearly grabbed the PS3 demo, quite looking forward to it, though I want the 360 version more as I'll be playing the 360 league (I assume) and want to get used to the controls using the 360 controller.

Haha, some brilliant posts coming in now. Basically, Gomito is the guy to ask. He's always hated FIFA and he hated UEFA as well, with a passion, but he said the following today (big of him to do so as well):

It brilliant, it has improved on 07 and UCL immensley ... great game, EA have done a great job

I was playing at lunch and i was getting pissd off cause i was sucking, then i became bayern munich and changned the passing to semi assist, and i started kicking ass and the beatuy of the game came out. This isnt a game you can play once and be good at it, the controlls and evertyhing is so different. You have to give it lots and lots of time. Dont expect to pick it up and start winning like in pro evo...

Seriously, Gomito, I've always wondered about you. But for someone who's hated FIFA and UEFA CL to come out and say that, seriously, that's big of you, and I appreciate that. If PES2008 was better than this FIFA demo I'm loving at the moment, it wouldn't be easy to come on here and say it (I would, people know I say the good and the bad - usually the bad - but it wouldn't be a nice feeling).

Anyone can play whatever they want but to say it's 1/10 for gameplay is a posh way of saying "ur game iz shit lol pes iz da best 4eva i hav a 10 inch cock". That's not to say you have to love FIFA, but it's totally manual, you can switch between fast and slow passing, they've even listened to the fans and added tricks and the supercancel. On that alone they deserve a lot of credit, since when does Konami listen to the fans? Same ML for six years? Same CPU drivel? Nobody who gives it 1/10 will be getting work from any games magazines soon.

Anyway, moving on, the reason I came here just now...

ok i have played four halves and to be frank. what fucking game are you playing? sorry jack not to be mean or anything or personal, i just dont see what your seeing
I can see why you'd think that, but just to prove it (even though it's not actual proof as I'm not recording and uploading all the matches :eh:)...

I just played the Red Bulls, and one of their defenders tried a sloppy pass to the wing-back, which I intercepted and scored (after FIVE HOURS of no goals - what a fucking feeling!!). In countless games I've not seen Barcelona or Man Utd or Marseille do that (not to say it doesn't happen but they've been generally flawless). And also, their style is a lot more direct, like it is in the real game (we get highlights of the MLS over here now, on David Beckham's Soccer USA - I know, what a great name for a show :roll: - and they play exactly like I've seen them play).

More importantly though, they seem to "rush" - if you play fast it's like they try to play fast as well, meaning that they're more prone to making mistakes. Whereas other teams will pass it around properly and wait for openings.

I'm so impressed with the game, I just wish I could get used to scoring. The shooting is great, it's getting past the defenders. I find it really hard to get used to the tricks, I can never do the same thing twice. One big hint that's got me close though (thanks to Brunnoce), LB is slow-dribble. You can hold the ball off, you can dribble more accurately and responsively, and it seems to let you hit the shot a bit harder as well.

It's too long to wait until the final release, damn...

Last edited:

Well, that's one of the games I'm looking forward the most to, but by the time I bought my PS3, I didn't know anything about it. I just felt like getting one, it wouldn't change anything buying it on March or September, since the price would be the same.

I should have gone to a Xbox instead. Now it's too late. Asshole.

Well, the download is almost complete. Finally. :eek:

im wainting for your thoughts from the ps3 version miguel(after hearing so many bad thing from the STAFFS, im quite curious about it)... u seem like a nonbised nice lad. ;)

Wow I'm disapointed. I was expecting (hoping) good reviews. For the first time I got more excited over FIFA then PES. And these negative reviews don't exactly help.

:|

:mrgreen:

Ok here is my thoughts on the 360 version.

Graphics = 7/10 The stadium is wonderful but the players ain't great, but from a distance who really cares.

Sounds 8/10 = Fantastic crowd sounds, lack of commentary makes it a bit weird tho.

Game-play = The game played at the same pace as fifa 07, but that is no bad thing.

Ball Physics are fantastic, heading improved 200%.

Now for the only gripe I have with the game so far.

The Camera angles are awful, either too far away or too close, I cant adjust to either, I just hope there are more options in the full game.

First impressions were really good - but the more I play it, the more things seem to piss me off. The players still seem very unresponsive in my eyes - it's as if I'm playing it online or something. Just seems sluggish. The framerate on replays etc is very jarring too.

I have to say I really like this game, but for some reason it feels alot better on the 360 than on the ps3. Can't tell if there is any difference in gameplay but the colours and lightning look alot better on 360. I'll probably buy it for ps3 anyway since I prefer that controller and for the possibility to use my 4 pc controllers on the ps3 for 3vs3 multiplayer.

My main gripe about this game is that the cpu seem to create almost all their chances through crosses, they cross far to often when a simple cutback would be better or even a shot.

The Camera angles are awful, either too far away or too close, I cant adjust to either, I just hope there are more options in the full game.
Nope, same as last year. They won't be changing that.

So far the only things I want to see fixed are the odd time that you can't select a man (usually after a corner, you head the ball out but then you can't select anyone for a second or two), more camera options (zoom in/out), custom controls (my dad will collapse from a heart attack unless he can have :triangle:/Y as sprint), and Tevez's generic-looking face.

I was going to moan about the defensive headers, but I think supercancel makes it easier. The more you play it the more comes out. :)

Last edited:

Hello there. PES Fanboy here. :) Played the demo for 3h.

Almost everybody is raving about the demo, so I thought I'd point out some negative things about it (some of these might be because i'm not used to the game yet, so Fifa fans might tell me if it's a question of time or not.)

First and foremost, I like the game, and I think that just like PES, It has a few things that prevent it from being Football heaven. Here goes:

1 Heading. On defence at least, I'm Rio and Vidic, yet any foward from Red Bull wins almost every aerial battle against me. Pisses me off. Could it be that I have to work more to anticipate where the ball is going?

2 Goalkeeping. On the first three games I played this happened twice: cross from the wing, my goalkeeper stands still as the ball flies over and near him, striker on the 2nd post heads it home with no opposition. The GK could've just jumped for the ball.

3 Supercancel. Yes, it's there, but it doens't work the same as in PES. It cancels shots, passes and crosses, but you can't use it to "force" your player out of a rail. Many, many times I found myself wanting to meet the ball halfway and couldn't, only to see the defender intercept the ball.

4 Opposition defence. It's been said that in previous games the GKs were superhuman. Think that now defenders are superhuman. I mean, Red Bull defenders taking the ball away from Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry as easy as taking candy from a baby... (Maybe there are ways to counter this and I need to play more...)

5 Nets. The net on the training ground is not the same as in game... Why not EA?

6 Response times are still not as good as PES.

7 Finally, same as everybody else, I'm pissed cause I can't score to save my life. :)

Now, don't come to me saying I'm a party pooper or anything, I'm really enjoying the game and only wish it was perfect, but it's not. There are a lot of very good thing about the game that have been mentioned before, so I didn't bother to repeat them.

Barring any unforseen financial crisis I'll probably get this and PES. :)

Peace and enjoy.

Last edited:

Really couldnt have been planned any worse. I spend the whole day waiting to play the demo. It installs on my PS3, JUST (and I mean just) gets to the Arena, and I get called to say my tea is done! :(

I cant even get it snoop think yourself lucky.

Microsoft have blocked signing upto Xbox live. Im well pissed off!!

Even if it's half the game of PES6 it's better than Fifa 08 in my opinion.

Now we all know that your dont know what your talking about becuase PES6 was a pile of shit and even the hardcore fans have said that

Just tested the demo. Well as a PES fan i just have to say, great job. The game is really impressive. It's a new way of FIFA and i like it. btw, the game is really hard :D

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85nDd8f0gcg

Watch firstly how Henry controls it with his instep, then the shot gets deflected and Khan makes a great save.

OMFG !!!
what a save!!
absolutly incredible..makes me wonder if this is the first game we will finnaly see real diference between goalies in terms of attribute ingame...
i found a lot easier to score past Ochoa(america MEX) than van der sar in the demo.

My thoughts on the PS3 version after about five games:

I'm on manual for everything and it is really hard having to aim your passes yourself instead of the CPU passing it for you!

The controls do feel slightly sluggish, not sure how they feel against UCL as I can't remember UCL, but definately a bit sluggish. I can get used to it though.

I do like the pace of the game a lot, you do get time to pick out plays (apart from the pressing of the opposition, which seems they press a lot more than they did in UCL?)

I'm crap at shooting, I just can't seem to get a shot on target. For that matter though, the CPU hasn't had a shot on target either.

Headers seem fine, though sometimes it seems as if only one player will bother to jump for the ball.

The ball doesn't feel floaty at all, feels quite heavy to me but that may just be down to the slow speed of the gameplay.

I've seen some very suspicious free kicks given by what could only be a kick on a players foot. Replays don't seem to suggest any contact was made. Hmmm.

Long balls that are heading to the keeper with no threat and pace, when they get to the keeper he seems to jump into them and double his body up. As if he's saved a rocket of a shot. Odd.

Not entirely sure I like the PS3 pad, though 360 will be my weapon of choice and I'll grab that demo later.

I do realise I've got quite a few negative points up there, but I do like the game. It really annoys me that they only have 4 min quarters as just as I start to get into things, it's over already! I'll keep plugging away, it's a nice game and I'm enjoying my football fix again :)

Oks, jonah-man, if you seriously think that player collisions and teammates AI are better on pes6 than in fifa 08 (even PC las-gen demo), then it's a matter of recognizing the evident. That's usually the line that a fanboy crosses no matter what. Then, I put you real hard homework. Try to explain the things FIFA are better than PES. If you can't name 4 or 5, then you are a fanboy. Take it as a personality test.

I'm sorry, but I think the game looks crap on PS3 with HD Ready, FIFA 2007 and UEFA looked much, much better on the 360. Haven't seen the 360 demo though (not out here), but I really hope it looks better. It probably does, because it was the same with The Darkness.

Other than that, it plays like a dream. ;-)

Jonah, whilst you can have an opinion, its considered inflamatory when your opinion is not based on anything substantiated, its just mindless.

Your scores are not in the least reflective of an opinion, its more a chance to flame.

Even PES fans(and I am one of them) can never say that graphics are 1/10 that is the give away I am afraid that you are here to cause arguments rather than put forward an opinion based on fact.

just try to respect others and thier "fun" please mate

Oks, jonah-man, if you seriously think that player collisions and teammates AI are better on pes6 than in fifa 08 (even PC las-gen demo), then it's a matter of recognizing the evident. That's usually the line that a fanboy crosses no matter what. Then, I put you real hard homework. Try to explain the things FIFA are better than PES. If you can't name 4 or 5, then you are a fanboy. Take it as a personality test.

1. I will admit the AI is better than PES6. (Although I expect PES 2008 to be much better than PES6)

2. I guess the in game graphics are better than PES6 (On the PS2, I've never seen the 360 version so can't really compare them fairly. Like I said in my previous post I think the videos of PES 2008 on WENB.com look much better)

3. The menu's and general presentation e.g. scoreboard and timer, etc.

4. Licensing. Doesn't need explaining.

5. Skills. Although some clips looks stupidly unrealistic in Fifa 08. PES has never focused on skills and I wish more were implemented realistically.

Happy? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom