FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

That sao paolo vid looks really good. The players look better proportioned in the tele cam then the dynamic one in the manu-ars vid. Also liked how fast the players moved direction, didnt seem too slow and nice transitions between them. Looked to have a good level of sharpness and tightness in the animations (something that 07 suffered). And the nets are looking better and better imo :D. Even have their own colours.

Cant wait for the demo, hope we can change the controller setting, and possibly the speed (CW confirmed that it was in the game, i think).

@ Coopz, UCL is very unresponsive, but 07 is a lot sharper. Im hoping, as its two different development teams, that 08 will follow 07's lead in that regard.

Excellent video, this really does look the biz, just hope it plays as well, looks like it will. As mentioned up a few, the way the ball bobbles about and is no longer magnetically attached to a players feet makes it feel so realistic.

One question that I haven't seen talked about on here - the refereeing? Now on Champions League the reffing was terrible, maybe that's because it was more of a European game with European matches? But every time you go through a player, whether you get the ball or not, the ref gives a foul. It was shocking. Any word of this being improved in FIFA 08? I really hope so as this is a pretty major point.

Also, handballs? Are they in FIFA 08? Because on CL there are some BLATANT handballs that just don't get given, defenders sometimes posing as goalkeepers!!! :lol: When they slide to block a shot and their arms are in the air the ball can cannon off their arm, so the game physics obviously know that a part of their body is in the way, the game just needs to know it's an illegal part in Football.

Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone know, will there be promotion and relegation in Fifa 08 or will you remain in the same division whatever the outcome?. Its so much better when you have something to aim for.

yeah and I bet they are saying "Mamma Mia"

No that'll be the Swedish players ;)

Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone know, will there be promotion and relegation in Fifa 08 or will you remain in the same division whatever the outcome?. Its so much better when you have something to aim for.

English leagues will have promotion and relegation, that's for certain. The question is whether or not they'll have playoffs for promotion, I'm waiting for EA to answer that question as I heard a rumour, but if 07 current gen had them I don't see how they can not have them in 08 next gen.

One question that I haven't seen talked about on here - the refereeing? Now on Champions League the reffing was terrible, maybe that's because it was more of a European game with European matches? But every time you go through a player, whether you get the ball or not, the ref gives a foul. It was shocking. Any word of this being improved in FIFA 08? I really hope so as this is a pretty major point.

Also, handballs? Are they in FIFA 08?

In 07 360 the refereeing was awful, 90% of sliding tackles or "pressing" tackled were given as fouls, UCL was much better and 08 from what little I've played is better yet, if you win the ball then no matter how crunching the tackle as long as you get the ball first it should be ok.

There are no handballs in UCL that I've seen given, I don't think there are any in 08 either, shame of course as they should be in :(

Not sure about the playoffs placebo, they havent done them for the other leagues (dutch for example). See the FAQ on the fifa forum.

Yeah I know but the Dutch playoffs are nothing like ours, Dutch league has European competition place playoffs and they have relegation playoffs against clubs in the next league down, only the Dutch first division is in Fifa08 so they would never be able to do the proper Dutch playoffs until they add the Dutch 2nd division.

Check this wiki link to see how insanely complicated the Dutch playoffs are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eredivisie#Positions

That's probably my favourite video so far. Absolutely brilliant. As always, I have constructive criticism, but that video has put a huge smile on my face this morning. I absolutely can't wait for it now.

My only issues are the goalkeeper not coming out (but if the PES fanboys can say "there's no issue with CPU cheating if you use supercancel" then the FIFA fanboys can say "there's no issue with the GK standing still if you bring him out yourself" :)). The player's faces are a bit emotion-less as well, something Konami have worked hard on for PES2008 (when the penalty is given away the faces are a bit like puppets - you can't make a puppet smile or frown if he has a straight face, know what I mean?). And finally, there was a brilliant goal from the team in stripes where I shouted "what a goal", but the commentators were dead. They talked about it like it was the most boring match you've ever seen, "I think that was a goal, so Andy, what are you doing after this?"

Now that is a brilliant video

have you noticed that in most games there is nobody doing skill at all?
I think thats good because it must be very hard to beat players with them, so you wont get people who just use skills all the time against you

Im gonna watch that video again its great , some of the saves are brilliant

There's a save where the ball flies off the goalkeeper's hand and up behind the goal, and I thought, "that's dodgy" - but then the replay showed it from behind the goal, and it was really spooky. Deja-vu. The exact same thing happened on Match Of The Day the other week, the goalkeeper moved across so quickly to get it that the ball kind of "sliced" off his hand and went over the bar. And they showed a replay from the exact same angle.

The physics are absolutely spot-on.

Oh how many people are gonna stay in the arena for a bit trying the tricks out when the demo hits tomorrow?

:)

Oh how many people are gonna stay in the arena for a bit trying the tricks out when the demo hits tomorrow?

:)

I know I will, should be good longetivity out of that alone! :)

Also, handballs? Are they in FIFA 08? Because on CL there are some BLATANT handballs that just don't get given, defenders sometimes posing as goalkeepers!!! :lol: When they slide to block a shot and their arms are in the air the ball can cannon off their arm, so the game physics obviously know that a part of their body is in the way, the game just needs to know it's an illegal part in Football.

Hey, handballs - I have seen one given on the PC '08 demo within the 2 or 3 hours playing that I've enjoyed so far.

It occurred as I did a sliding tackle in midfield, missed the ball and the player then the left arm of my player moved the ball slightly.

Andy Gray called it too - something along the lines of "that's a blatant handball".

[covering my arse statement follows:]
I know it's not next-gen but I would imagine things like hand-ball would be more of a "company" decision to integrate on all platforms.

Anyway, it was cool.

I don't think I've ever seen handballs given in a game before?

Handball has been on current-gen since FIFA 07, doubt it has crossed over to next-gen yet. In FIFA 07 there was some ridiculous calls over it anyway, sometimes it would be a clear case of ball smashed into hand while someone's lying on the floor and a penalty would be given.

Cant say im bothered about handballs, they added in one version of pes, 4?, but t stop started the game too much so they removed it again. The amount of times it actually happens isnt too important to me. Woul db nice for winning penalties, but then its also frustrating if you concede a penalty from something which you have no control over. Works both ways atm, so i would say leave it out.

Good video, except for the goalkeeping at the very end. Why not come out to get the ball?

the video is good..

but

i have 2 questions

1) why defenders are so slow and don't react immediately to the change of the player cntrolled by human? (i mean..they do not cover the center of penalty area and seems that the 'change' between players is slow...)

2) Free kicks.. 'are there the same as fifa 07?' 'one shot - one goal'?

sorry for my english..i'm from italy

Never noticed it in PES4 ... or maybe I did but can't remember :)

Back
Top Bottom