FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

^^Stunning, best video I've seen. That Sao Paulo player really shows off the realism of the game. Some very nice looking pass combinations and finishing. How I wish I had a 360!!

Player likenesses may be closer in PES2008, but the quality of the faces in PES2008 in terms of highly detailed, next gen, modelled graphics is very poor, they've just converted photos to 2d layers which they've laid over the mesh of the 3d model, in Fifa they've actually modelled each face in a 3d application which artistically and technically is the forward thinking way, it just takes a little work to get spot on.

It's like comparing these two:

churchilllglg.JPG
winston_churchill.jpg

Yes they're somewhat close but not 100% spot on, you would say the photo portrays the nuances better of the person but there is more artistic creation in a clay model.

Now compare these two:

einsteinmarclg.jpg
954-032~Albert-Einstein-Posters.jpg

I'd say they compare much closer from photo to clay model.

EA are at least (in my opinion), going forward in the best way to eventually reach a level of quality where player likenesses will greatly surpass what can be done by using the methods that Konami use, certainly in terms of expressiveness the EA way will work better. The Konami way is IMO quickly showing its age and their 2d layer method will never stand up against a good quality 3d model in terms of the depth and subtlety of it.

This is a good example of what the absolutely best graphicians can do with 3d modelling if they have plenty of time at their disposal:

I have just played the CL demo and im not liking how sluggish the players feel when turning and running, was this better in the full game i cant remember?

No I can attest. the demo of CL was bad while the full game was MUCH better than fifa 07...

I don't like the demos anyways because 1. they're too short 2. they're stuck on a certain controller config I don't like 3. they're stuck on a certain camera angle I don't like

yes you can press triangle to call him and it was a player controlled team and well i wouldnt leave it upto cpu to control my keeper most especially on PES i use the control feature where u can position ur keeper need to introduce that into fifa next gen they have for current gen... stops things like this occuring

hmmmmmmmmmmmm still looks a bit too fifaish to me, players look fucking awful! but there are some positive things as well, ball physics seem to be sorted

Thats the best video so far, really shows the improvements in the game. I really think I'm gonna be happy. The freedom of passing looks amazing. And the super keepers seem a distant memory. Shooting looks so improved. F the player faces, I think FIFA have cracked it.

I liked the video, but in that last goal, Buffon stood still like a statue, the cpu should make him rush out automatically. Still, you can press "triangle" to force him to do it right?

I wish the GK's would come out and close the angle down. shouldnt really have to press a button to make them move.

Usually you don't have to press a button for someone attacking that close to goal, maybe it was having a brain fart ;)

SpSxxx1 - it was confirmed a long, long time ago that there'd be no visible refs/linesmen other than cut scenes.

Usually you don't have to press a button for someone attacking that close to goal, maybe it was having a brain fart ;)

SpSxxx1 - it was confirmed a long, long time ago that there'd be no visible refs/linesmen other than cut scenes.

OK, cheers mate. Wonder why they don't include though. Its not that important but it does add a little to the overall experience.

I'm guessing, but it's probably a combination of:

Visible ref/linesmen added in a manner which makes them interactive will take CPU cycles that they don't have spare right now (I think that's also a reason why the crowd isn't overly animated), they already said that due to the AI improvements and such the graphicians have much less available to them this year.

The other reason is probably one of time constraints, as with weather they appear to not want to include something unless it can be fully simulated in a realistic manner, for the ref/linesmen that would be to move around and react appropriately, wave the flags, point for advantage, blow for freekicks etc. etc. if they just slap it in without the time to test it properly it could all go pear shaped :)

Love the hand gestures when Juventus concede a penalty and appeal to the ref, the "praying hands" and the cupped hand gestures are spot on! :)

Why's one waving as if asking for a card though? "Please book me you tosspot referee"? ;)

Or maybe he's saying "give them a penalty and you're off my Christmas card list you fucker!" ;)

I don't think it's a card gesture? I've seen plenty of Italian players do that with their hands (in fact Mafia films have people doing it too hehe), they seem to do it when something goes against them and they're trying to reason with someone.

Wow... That video is just amazing. Fifa has really improved. For me it's all about gameplay. But I don't mind graphics like this. And Snoop, you're right. It's not a card gesture. Italians tend to do that, just like you said.

Nice video.

Animation looks nice, ball physics look much better,net animation up by about 500%, lighting and general graphics up on last year,pitches look superb,nice commentary and sound,shooting is clearly much better..........................but the people playing it are defensive drongo's.

Why do we always see plebs playing the game on pre-release vids.

You never see someone passing around the back 4 and playing a long ball to feet etc.

I would say all of the goals were avoidable and the goal where he forgets to get his keeper out is silly:roll:

Anyway its clear that FIFA have definately laid down a challenge this year and its going to be closer than ever.IMO I think FIFA will pip it due to the deeper manger mode and far superior online.

Wow... That video is just amazing. Fifa has really improved. For me it's all about gameplay. But I don't mind graphics like this. And Snoop, you're right. It's not a card gesture. Italians tend to do that, just like you said.

Looking at your name, are you Italian? Do you know a reason why Italian's do that gesture?

I don't think it's a card gesture? I've seen plenty of Italian players do that with their hands (in fact Mafia films have people doing it too hehe), they seem to do it when something goes against them and they're trying to reason with someone.

Actually come to think of it you're right it is an Italian gesture, it's something like doubly making a point like you say "are you really serious" and the hand gesture amplifies the point? If that makes sense ;)

I have a hunch we may see the demo today. :mrgreen:

Oh and that video was superb.

I love the way the ball really looks loose and bobbles about.

Actually come to think of it you're right it is an Italian gesture, it's something like doubly making a point like you say "are you really serious" and the hand gesture amplifies the point? If that makes sense ;)

yeah and I bet they are saying "Mamma Mia"

Back
Top Bottom