FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

This is going to turn into FIFA vs PES again, The Power. Just cut it out mate? Everytime you come on here it's to start something and an arguement ensues over FIFA v PES which nobody wants to see (and there's a seperate thread for). Keep it to just FIFA talk? (and no blatant PES bias?)

100agree. The freekickbug from like 40 m in pes5 is the only bug. But with manual gk controll you can stop this bug.
Stopping the bug isn't the point though, you shouldn't have to, it shouldn't be there in the first place. That's why I hate the supercancel in PES, you shouldn't have to use it, the game should just do what you want it to without interfering. Otherwise, why not let the CPU play the CPU? To me, 1% less control isn't fair, and makes that match a waste of time in my eyes (including when it would do it in FIFA 07, when on automatic passing - 80% less than on PES, but still there).

Personally, and this isn't an insult to anyone, I find it "sticking up for Konami" to say that you can work around it. It's like buying a car that doesn't start until you slap the bonnet. It works, but how can you defend having to do that? What about the times when it doesn't work, is that okay too? You can say it is but I will never find it okay, and I will always complain about it because it's not right. If I had to hold down two buttons to stop my soldier in Call of Duty running sideways, I wouldn't play it, full-stop. If it was in any other game, by any other company, it would get absolutely fucking slated.

This is going to turn into FIFA vs PES again, The Power. Just cut it out mate? Everytime you come on here it's to start something and an arguement ensues over FIFA v PES which nobody wants to see (and there's a seperate thread for). Keep it to just FIFA talk? (and no blatant PES bias?)
I shouldn't have replied, I knew this would happen.

Last edited:

The whole foot on ball contact doesnt bother me as long as the ball moves where I want to it to. Looking from the Rooney video it looks as if the player has put the ball exactly where he wanted it to go.

Great goal as well, the net physics were near enough spot on as you can get them considering last years poor effort.

ROFL Bauer start PES vs Fifa discussion/comparision. NOT ME! Read my posts. I only posts some Fifa07 videos for a comparision to fifa08.

Honestly, I look at PES and I see from start to finish "this is a game, look at us move like robots, up, down, up, down", whereas with FIFA I see "this is a real match". Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm not saying anyone is wrong (please don't think I'm attacking your views) but the physics look spot on to me. I loved UEFA CL so I know I'll love this, my only worry is the goalkeepers.

Last edited:

Oh dear, I'm so sorry, I'll go and kill myself. :roll:

I try to put things as nicely as possible ("please don't think I'm attacking your views"), and it's still down as fanboyism. Dear me.

Well, I've given my points, I'll shut up now until another one is raised.

lol at your comments about the shot...

its realistic and you could tell from tht camera footage that he didnt use his laces... BS

And if were are going to talk about ball physics ill talk about PES6 on the xbox 360 when you take a low shot that rises why does it always swerve back in like the Essien shot vs Arsenal not 1/50 but every time is this realistic ball physics ? not at all but then people have a go because there was a header scored and one peach from Rooney...

we dont know the difficulty how many goals he scores how many matches he needed to play to even score those goals.. and who he was playing against yes its my opinion and people will disagree but

People go on about PES been so great well it isnt and neither was FIFA 07!

but im comparing fifa 08 to PES6 and PES2008 and i think FIFA has the edge i hope this is confirmed when I get the demo in 3 days :)

ohh no dont do that. BUT pleaaassee

This is going to turn into FIFA vs PES again, Jack Bauer. Just cut it out mate?Everytime you come on here it's to start something and an arguement ensues over FIFA v PES which nobody wants to see (and there's a seperate thread for). Keep it to just FIFA talk?

ROFL Bauer start PES vs Fifa discussion/comparision. NOT ME! Read my posts. I only posts some Fifa07 videos for a comparision to fifa08.

Why react to it then??

Lets cut the whole fanboy talk, PES V FIFA crap, its boring.

Last edited:

Aye, but Jack puts it across in a fair and unbiased way. He can give positive points of both games and negatives, but still keeps both in perspective. You asking if he played online or offline, before he even replied I knew what was going to follow after he replied to you (that you'd complain about FIFA).

It really does come across (in my opinion at least) that you are looking for any angle to get in another dig at FIFA. We've already heard your views so many times, we all know well enough what you think, you don't need to keep going on about it.

No fault on your part Jack, you can't be classed as a fanboy while you give constructive critisism and can talk about both games in a reasonable conversation without resorting to simply attacking a game.

Back to topic :)

Is that Rooney video on any other sites like YouTube? This PC doesn't seem to like Flash players much :(

Stopping the bug isn't the point though, you shouldn't have to, it shouldn't be there in the first place. That's why I hate the supercancel in PES, you shouldn't have to use it, the game should just do what you want it to without interfering. Otherwise, why not let the CPU play the CPU? To me, 1% less control isn't fair, and makes that match a waste of time in my eyes (including when it would do it in FIFA 07, when on automatic passing - 80% less than on PES, but still there).

Personally, and this isn't an insult to anyone, I find it "sticking up for Konami" to say that you can work around it. It's like buying a car that doesn't start until you slap the bonnet. It works, but how can you defend having to do that? What about the times when it doesn't work, is that okay too? You can say it is but I will never find it okay, and I will always complain about it because it's not right. If I had to hold down two buttons to stop my soldier in Call of Duty running sideways, I wouldn't play it, full-stop. If it was in any other game, by any other company, it would get absolutely fucking slated.

I shouldn't have replied, I knew this would happen.
AMAZING POST.
Great work buddy that way you are always able to turn my thoughts into words astounds me.

It's really the animations combined with the physics that I'm not liking now.

When Rooney stretches his leg out - that kind of movement should give you a toe poke with little power. If you try running with a ball and then stretch one leg forward to shoot. Not pull it back as you're running and shoot. but just mid run suddenly throw a stretched leg forwards.

You would never get a rocket shot.

And the header combined with the painful canned animation of the cross that's been around since Fifa went 3D.

1 - players don't, if ever blindly shoot on goal by using the crown of their head to direct goals in. Yes its possible that if you hit the ball with your crown correctly you'd get a good headed shot. but players direct them with their forehead.
--
The headed goal shows the canned animated from ancient fifa games of a standing jump, a player hitting the ball with his crown and the ball rocketing into the goals.

And the long passes that landed perfectly at the targeted player. There's just no way that's not a scripted event.

From the last video at least this just looks like fifa 07 with new teams and tricks.

hopefully the video is misleading because im gagging for a good next gen football game and i cant see PES 2008 giving that to me based on last years arse of a game (which as the ISS teams fault not the usual pes guys)

i think i will be looking at fifa 08 ps2.

I didn't really play as the great teams in 07 - i started a manager mode off with Torquay United and worked them up into the premiership.

I loved that every game felt like a struggle - the crap pssing and shooting i put down to my crap players (it could have been the engine) but when i signed a better star i really felt it. the whole team became centred around him and when he couldn't play i again found my matches a struggle.

I never had that feeling with fifa 07 next gen - so that's something im hoping for big time

Last edited:

^ Disagree 100% about FIFA 08 Comments

and FIFA current gen is a joke

It's really the animations combined with the physics that I'm not liking now.

When Rooney stretches his leg out - that kind of movement should give you a toe poke with little power. If you try running with a ball and then stretch one leg forward to shoot. Not pull it back as you're running and shoot. but just mid run suddenly throw a stretched leg forwards.

You would never get a rocket shot.

And the header combined with the painful canned animation of the cross that's been around since Fifa went 3D.

1 - players don't, if ever blindly shoot on goal by using the crown of their head to direct goals in. Yes its possible that if you hit the ball with your crown correctly you'd get a good headed shot. but players direct them with their forehead.
--
The headed goal shows the canned animated from ancient fifa games of a standing jump, a player hitting the ball with his crown and the ball rocketing into the goals.

And the long passes that landed perfectly at the targeted player. There's just no way that's not a scripted event.

From the last video at least this just looks like fifa 07 with new teams and tricks.

hopefully the video is misleading because im gagging for a good next gen football game and i cant see PES 2008 giving that to me based on last years arse of a game (which as the ISS teams fault not the usual pes guys)

i think i will be looking at fifa 08 ps2.

I didn't really play as the great teams in 07 - i started a manager mode off with Torquay United and worked them up into the premiership.

I loved that every game felt like a struggle - the crap pssing and shooting i put down to my crap players (it could have been the engine) but when i signed a better star i really felt it. the whole team became centred around him and when he couldn't play i again found my matches a struggle.

I never had that feeling with fifa 07 next gen - so that's something im hoping for big time

lol!! you are the first person who prefers old gen fifa from current gen games

Believe me, it was the engine, as proved in the FIFA 08 demo (PC). Man Utd v Barcelona, and no matter who you are, Rooney, Ronaldinho, you can't direct a shot properly because it misses by a country mile. Not something I feel you can get used to either, because it seems to "click" into one set direction no matter where you point the analog. Either straight at the keeper or miles (and miles) wide, unless it "wants" you to score.

I did actually enjoy FIFA 07 on PS2 briefly, but I couldn't play it for prolonged periods because the sticky ball did my head in (you'd absolutely belt the ball, it would land on the grass and then one bounce later it would stop dead, the physics were totally off - even shots that you misdirected would sometimes stop on the line without going out of play, it really was as if the ball was coated in honey). But I know exactly what you mean about Torquay, hence why I'm looking forward to the next-gen FIFA with 30-leagues.

There's something beautiful about loading FIFA 07 on the PS2 and being able to select "English League Cup" from the competitions menu. All setup for you, proper rules (and the correct teams selected), all you have to do is play it. Even if it's not gameplay-related, it's still wonderful to be able to do that.

lol at your comments about the shot...

its realistic and you could tell from tht camera footage that he didnt use his laces... BS

And if were are going to talk about ball physics ill talk about PES6 on the xbox 360 when you take a low shot that rises why does it always swerve back in like the Essien shot vs Arsenal not 1/50 but every time is this realistic ball physics ? not at all but then people have a go because there was a header scored and one peach from Rooney...

why did you need to throw in the 'bullshit' comment?

You could have just given your side to the video without putting me down by claiming what i think is BS.

we're taking about ball physics because Fifa claim their engine recreates real life - they claim their engine and their ball is 100K% free and not tied in to the animations.

any comparison with PES in that department is useless because PES dont claim to have free ball physics

--

edit

Yes YES YES

i agree 100% about the ball coated in honey line!

you've nailed that perfectly LOL

--

and i prefered the last gen fifa compared to fifa 07 because fifa 07 lacked a LOAD of things. and i didnt care for the engine at all. the 3 direction shooting being my main pain in the ass

Last edited:

I try to put things as nicely as possible ("please don't think I'm attacking your views"), and it's still down as fanboyism. Dear me.

Well, I've given my points, I'll shut up now until another one is raised.

I find Mr Power lives really quite nicely on the IGNORE list, enhances the reading.

ON Topic, the game still looks good to me, the guys who wrote all the things they didn't like don't know how the game actually plays to go along with that video. I don't either I guess but we've heard enought here from Placebo to suggest the glass is HALF FULL rather than half empty. And I don't know what the Newcastle fan is moaning about, his team is fully licensed in PES 2008, and Titus Bramble is gone! Happy days, no?

Yes Tithead Bramble going made me very happy man - pes... meh if its anything like last years crap ill pass and i was moaning about the video because of the header and the toe poke rocket power goals.

im hoping like crazy to be proved wrong and come Thursday id be VERY happy to eat my own words if the game doesnt play and feel like fifa07

-

all the other videos filled me with hope but that last one was a bit of a kick in the balls to me as it highlighted all the problems i had playing 07

How come you're in Widnes but support Newcastle Radiation? You're only a few miles from me, I live in Hale Village by Liverpool Airport :)

lol

well i used to live in bolton with my family - we went on a holiday to scotland when i was really young and loads of people where we were had newcastle shirts on - they were the first team other than my dads everton id really heard of so they stuck in my head as i got into football and ive supported them ever since.

People always thought i jumped on the keegan bandwagon but that wasnt the case.

Widnes - I moved to liverpool when i was in uni and im now with my Gf in widnes

Just found out that Football Manager 2008 is out on October 26th. So if PES and FIFA both turn out to be crap, it's not the end of the world. :)

found a good video that may have been posted before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDCSpDI5ZQ

the animation is insanely smooth... and the shot near the end that hits the bar doesnt have the toe poke shot i despised in 07. it looks like a perfectly weighted side footed shot.

and the best moment in the video is the very end.

A player makes a great run, takes a little touch past the last defender and then the shot is just PERFECT. a little side footed place into the corner.

shame it was saved.

Videos like this fill me with excitement

Yeah that was a good video/animation sequence. The "little american" shooting video also shows the different stances the player now takes when shooting, hardly any toepokes, something i didnt like about 07 either. Tbh i cant tell whether rooney toepoked that goal, to me it looked spot on with the speed, movement and the camera angle.

The header also looked correct to me, the cross could have been a bit faster imo (something i couldnt stand in 07) but the actual header is accurate with the players movement. He doesnt jump up and just use his neck to get the power, which was the case in 07, but he runs towards the ball and leaps to get the header before the defender. Ive seen those scored with good power on the ball in real life. And the crossing can be sorted out by holding one of the triggers i believe, gets you a fast paced lower cross for the striker to run onto.

Also i would recommend everyone who is in this thread for decent discussion to put the power on ignore. I have and it works a treat, every comment he posts in here is supposedly to "discuss" the merits/negatives of fifa, yet for some reason every time he does it ends up a fanboy pes vs fifa argument, a bit of a coincidence.

There's a good shot and save halfway through that video, the rest is a bit blurry and mostly images of people playing the game instead of the game being played.

Last edited:

In that case, Radiation, you'll be happy with FIFA 08 last-gen/current-gen/whatever it's called now... But personally I think it looks great, and the amount of work that's gone into the physics for next-gen is colossal compared to what they can do with current-gen. I don't see the problems you're mentioning at all, but if you think current-gen is better then fair enough (a fair amount of people do actually, although I think it's absolutely awful with the "sticky" ball - how people can say the physics that do that appear better than the physics in next-gen FIFA is totally and utterly beyond me - and the completely random shooting).

Honestly, I look at PES and I see from start to finish "this is a game, look at us move like robots, up, down, up, down", whereas with FIFA I see "this is a real match". Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm not saying anyone is wrong (please don't think I'm attacking your views) but the physics look spot on to me. I loved UEFA CL so I know I'll love this, my only worry is the goalkeepers.

im right ther with u JB..loved that last video.. the gk trying to save taht header looked sweeet... very realistic..you could see he was really streacthing himself to get to the ball...

wow
i was impressed by a save the GK did from a manutd player shot...(also the stadium looked spot on...you could see the crowd very close to the goal nets..)
couldnt recognize that away team though, had white shirt, black shorts and white socks, any idea?

Cheers Placebo, watched the Youtube one but my eyes couldn't concentrate on the flicking of the colours etc hehe :) I'll watch when I get home I think :)

Back
Top Bottom