FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Im tempted to go out and re-buy UCL, ive been playing FIFA 07 online to waste the time in between FIFA 08 coming out, reckon i should give UCL another whirl before FIFA 08 Demo arrives on Thursday?

Im tempted to go out and re-buy UCL, ive been playing FIFA 07 online to waste the time in between FIFA 08 coming out, reckon i should give UCL another whirl before FIFA 08 Demo arrives on Thursday?

Why not just play the PC demo for the last few days? It's really quite fun and although it's nowhere near to the final 360 version it still shows enough to suggest we're in for a treat!

I don't think it's worth buying just for a couple of weeks, and it is possible that the quirks in UCL that some people don't like might put you off Fifa08, why not just wait for 08 and face it nice and fresh and ready for a good football game? :)

I tried the UCL demo and was wondering what was up with the cards, what were they for?

Is there a decent edit mode in this fifa? Will I be able to create myself and say my own team?

wow, rooney looks a lot more like rooney this time. even his shot looked realistic

Eventually , a video with gameplay by a guy that knows how to play ;)
http://www.dailymotion.com/search/fifa+08/video/x2va34_metro-a-teste-fifa-08_news

( sry if it's posted before )

Great link - thanks so much!

My God, how good does the net look for Rooney's rocket?!

EDIT - Did ya see the way Etoo outpaced the right back for the headed goal? Cooool.

And the way the keeper looked much improved in his attempts to save the header compared to some previous videos?

Last edited:

Yeah it does look good, im just wondering how positive the comments were. I heard some good words but couldnt understand the whole thing.

My response on seeing that Rooney goal, was saying out loud "WHAT A GOAL!" That looked so satisfying to watch, never mind score! It's like when you watch a real match, if there's a great goal (even if you don't support the team) you shout, what a goal - and watching FIFA gives me that feeling. PES doesn't, it looks and feels like a video game, in my opinion (and that's why I'm so desperate for FIFA to play as well as it looks).

HAHA, the tricks look great as well (when you're a tricky team).

And WOW, that headed goal looked AMAZING.

Very exciting video.

something really weird happened at the weekend. i plugged my xbox into our new hd tv as we have just moved house and threw on UCL - wow what a difference! It no longer seems slow and plodding. When i played this on normal tv its quite sluggish, but on HD, its so much smoother and better paced. Why is that?

Antred, were you playing it on a 4:3 TV originally? If so, here's why:

It's been discussed on here before. In-case you don't know why it appears to be slower/faster in different display modes, it's actually a trick of the eye. If you play in 4:3, the "players" are running across a small square area. If you play in 16:9, the image is expanded, and so the graphics are expanded. A player has to reach the middle of the screen in the same time that he does on 4:3, but because the image is stretched, it appears that he reaches that point quicker.

Put it like this. Say you play a video on a 4:3 TV of a man running from the very-left to the very-right of the screen, and it lasts for one second. Then you take that same video and you play it on a one-hundred-foot long specially made widescreen TV. It wouldn't take a longer time for him to run that distance, because it's the same video and the video is being stretched to fit. It would still take one second for him to move from the very left to the very right of the screen, which would make it look like he was moving at 100ft-per-second. :mryellow:

I'm not that impressed by the last video posted.

Rooney's shot still screamed of Fifa 07 - the way the ball pings off the toe of his boot rather than the lace part - like the ball is reacting to ANY contact and as soon as the toe end of the boot connects the ball shoots away.

I didn't like shots like that in Fifa 07 - although i think that was the only shooting animation in 07 (?) because you'd want to side foot the ball into the corner so you'd tap shoot - and the player would toe poke the ball like a rocket. - I'm sure you could side foot - wasn't it done by holding a trigger?

The ball also still seems to float through the air like a cheap fly away - and with the header in the video, the cross had hardly any power in it - it seemed more like a lobbed curving cross (i hate the auto curve fifa force onto your crosses) so it would of been hard for anyone especially Ronaldinho to get a straight powerful rocket of a header into the top corner.

What the shot really should have done was just get directed into the far side and end up bouncing on the line and going in or hitting the net as waist height - not rocketing into the top corner as if its on a wire.

And it looked like the same old 'heading a ball with the crown of your head blindly' rather than directing it with your forehead animation.

Also the long ball played in the video still had the auto aim fifa style that i despise. You hold lob... the ball is booted ... and as if by magic it lands at the feet of a player up front!

I'm not as hyped up as i was before seeing this video now.

Oh and did they record that video on a mobile phone?

Last edited:

the headers sems easyer to score, & that was the case for along time in fifa. thats what worryes me alot cos scoring goals from croses where so easy on fifa world cup & in fifa 07, i really hoped that they could have made it harder to score with the jumping headers on fifa08, but from what i saw so far i am not impressed, way to many goals scored that way, fifa need to balance the airial balls alot more, cos in real football match, u will see central defenders fighting in the air alot more aggressivly, i hope i am wrong but it doesn't look good so far

Link isn't working for me at work, just says "Loading" and not doing anything :(

My response on seeing that Rooney goal, was saying out loud "WHAT A GOAL!" That looked so satisfying to watch, never mind score! It's like when you watch a real match, if there's a great goal (even if you don't support the team) you shout, what a goal - and watching FIFA gives me that feeling. PES doesn't, it looks and feels like a video game, in my opinion (and that's why I'm so desperate for FIFA to play as well as it looks).

HAHA, the tricks look great as well (when you're a tricky team).

And WOW, that headed goal looked AMAZING.

Very exciting video.

Second that: looks really good. Nice flowing game, nice graphics and a good screamer hitting the back of the onion bag.

I don't know what else people are expecting, looks like a good game this year...

For me it looks one of these normal fifa 07 goals in der middle of the goal. I cant understand why people impressed by this goal. The header looks also too easy..like in fifa07.

Fifa07 Goal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdiksMTQSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGwSfi5nTOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCTZKloB5Y <- so unrealistic. the ball is reacting to ANY contact and as soon as the toe end of the boot connects the ball shoots away.

Another example is the rocket shoot (BUG) in Fifa 07:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9f4OZGHJ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIM3XXT5wkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUdwy7R1-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rBJvlSFYuk :lol:

The GK are so bad in Fifa07!

Last edited:

I don't know what else people are expecting, looks like a good game this year...

Shots that look like the force of the boot hitting the ball causes it to rocket away - or pea roll into the goal - not any contact equals a rocket shot and by holding a trigger forces your shot to be a low power shot.

Headers that can be directed OR smashed but the outcome is dependant on the speed, direction and height of the cross.

A high cross with speed or no speed could not be smashed into a goal from a STANDING jump easily. - A running jumping header would give you a rocket of a header though.

long ball passes or 'hoofs' that don't auto aim to your forwards. PES gets this right, so i expect fifa to copy it. a long 'hoof' should aim in the area of your forward players. but not land EXACTLY by his feet and the player controls it perfectly.

I don't know what else people are expecting...

A good game of football - its not like EA can't do it - just look at fifa 07 last gen

Im with Radiation 100% the way the foot and ball react have been awful in all the videos, I dont see how such balls can be played with the positioning fo the foot on contact wth the ball, it zips away.

And the floaty passes are still there, and the lob pass being always accurate, straight to the guy who chested past the defender.

Im not liking it, it looks similar to a match graphics, lighting wise, but otherwise it doesnt look like real football, I thought this was gonna be better, a lot better than the previous, but I think many are overhyping it and I was getting caught with the ride.

Lastly that rooney goal, me and my mate watched it, and was silent, wasnt a great goal, good but not amazing.

A good game of football - its not like EA can't do it - just look at fifa 07 last gen
In that case, Radiation, you'll be happy with FIFA 08 last-gen/current-gen/whatever it's called now... But personally I think it looks great, and the amount of work that's gone into the physics for next-gen is colossal compared to what they can do with current-gen. I don't see the problems you're mentioning at all, but if you think current-gen is better then fair enough (a fair amount of people do actually, although I think it's absolutely awful with the "sticky" ball - how people can say the physics that do that appear better than the physics in next-gen FIFA is totally and utterly beyond me - and the completely random shooting).

Honestly, I look at PES and I see from start to finish "this is a game, look at us move like robots, up, down, up, down", whereas with FIFA I see "this is a real match". Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm not saying anyone is wrong (please don't think I'm attacking your views) but the physics look spot on to me. I loved UEFA CL so I know I'll love this, my only worry is the goalkeepers.

Last edited:

I don't know whether I should answer you, you seem to turn everything into a fanboy debate. :p

Before I do answer you, FIFA 07 was good but had far too many bugs, UEFA CL cut down on those bugs significantly (no more player "bumping" etc). So I'll answer your question using UEFA. I played offline and online.

Offline I found it great, your teammates made intelligent decisions and your opponents always tried to block the route you used most. Online, it was a great game if you played someone who played fair. Such as the people who formed an Evo-Web FIFA League last year. It was great, but then if you play anybody else, they use the exploits (which happens in every game, I might add, including PES), and then it becomes a waste of time.

As I said before, the best online games of football I've ever had in my life were with members of this forum, on UEFA. It was amazing fun, playing people with different styles, seeing the way they could implement it with the tools UEFA has to offer (mainly the free movement and manual passing). I thought it was fantastic. But if you get someone who just presses through-pass for the entire game then obviously it's going to be a waste of time.

So I enjoyed offline more than online overall, but both were enjoyable (if you steered clear of playing random people).

Last edited:

I don't know whether I should answer you, you seem to turn everything into a fanboy debate. :p

it was a normal question

It was great, but then if you play anybody else, they use the exploits (which happens in every game, I might add, including PES), and then it becomes a waste of time.

please dont compare the fifa07 bugs with pes06 bugs. I agree with you pes6 have some things which getting on my nerves. (cutbacks,bugshoot ...). But for me these are not bugs in comparision to fifa rocktebug or headerbug. But when you play good in the defense you can stop cutbacks goals.....

Cut backs are not a bug at all for starters... I havent really encountered any surreal bugs on PES that effects gameplay much and can be used over and over again... the only one I remember was in PES5 I think, when from like 40m, you could tap it out and then launch it and go in cause keeper came out, but even then it never always happened.

But the keepers in this Fifa may stand all proffesional with them tip toeing everwhere but they react and act poorly, the animations are alright though, only seen one save however.

To me, any bug online (that gives you a big advantage - I consider cutbacking a bug in this respect, because it's basically like pressing a button that says "50% likelihood of adding a goal to your score"), is unacceptable, and so I think both games are poor for (ranked) online play.

Most (if not all) games have glitches but in a sports game I think they will ruin the game a lot more, especially if you're looking for realism. I won't play any football game online for a prolonged period if they have the same bugs as either PES6 OR FIFA 07/UEFA.

Cut backs are not a bug at all for starters... I havent really encountered any surreal bugs on PES that effects gameplay much and can be used over and over again... the only one I remember was in PES5 I think, when from like 40m, you could tap it out and then launch it and go in cause keeper came out, but even then it never always happened.

100agree. The freekickbug from like 40 m in pes5 is the only bug. But with manual gk controll you can stop this bug.

Back
Top Bottom