FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Look terrible for me, shitty physique, animation etc...

while im not a huge graphic guy i do have to agree with thomas that it LOOKS just like UCL. I dont see a difference as everyone is alluding too. but i havent played it yet so i wont no for sure until the demo. The link above to me looked no different from UCL. I know some of you guys have played it and have contridicted each others opinons, some guys saying its much more responsive, some guys saying its the same. We will see when the game comes out, but right now im not overlerly optimistic that EA is giving us something new.

roll up, roll up free tickets to the bandwagon.

i knew it was too good to be true, things must be all quiet in the next gen we/pes thread

Watched the video, and got some worries and some joys, the joys, as usual the graphics look very nice, looks quite like a real match, maybe the grass could be a stronger green but its ok as it is, the camera adds to the realism aswell, I suppose the broadcast camera or something like on PES aswell, but maybe thats one reason PES doesnt look as good? But I have to say does look similar to the previous Fifas, but then again I wasnt expecting much of a graphics change, as I see all the other games and think they aint so I doubt this would (im going by tiger woods 08, madden 08 etc) anyway also the player faces dont look right, at all, seems the improvements in looks arent as much as PES, to me seems fifa added creasing in kits, PES added creasing in kits, sweat and also the good old amazing faces, and supposedly good facials. But fifa looks like a real match, PES is nice to watch I guess.

Onto the gameplay, keepers look poo, cant really say anything more about it, from that video I just saw, believe placebo posted page before, the free kick, own goal and header, the keeper was craply, positioned and did nothing, the ball moves weird aswell, when recieving the ball seems like it bounces a lot, doesnt look as realistic as they make out, and seems still floaty on long balls.

But anyway, im yet to play and thats what I want to see improved, and the new game modes offcourse, its probaly why I want to play it more, probs because its out earlier, and has new modes I want to try, more subtlities rather than real substance but cant say, have to play it....

My question now is, what are all of you fifa players gonna get it on, as I can either get it on PS3 or XBOX360? :D

Just to add that only the most feverish fanboy could even suggest that the PS3 is on par with the 360 at the moment as a gaming machine. The PS3 is as powerful no doubt and is a great HD movie player but as a gaming platform the 360 is miles ahead in catalouge and online features. I'm format neutral and could add my wii code to my name but that's mainly for the kids.

Seraphs it depends on your friends list etc, and the PS3 has the benefit of teh interactive world cup as well, me I'm going 360 as it's what many more people have and getting online games will be easier and more varied. And I like achievements and I now prefer the 360 pad.

The PS3 is as powerful no doubt and is a great HD movie player but as a gaming platform the 360 is miles ahead in catalouge and online features. .

not miles ahead but better. But dont forget you pay nothing for ps3 onlineplay.

Many more may have a 360 but will the majority of the many more have Fifa 08, as I believe that most 360 owners are FPS shooters, and american. So I doubt as many of them will get Fifa 08, personally I reckon the same amount will be on the PS3 as 360, but I will probably be wrong :D Infact it doesnt matter :D

I only like the 360 pad really for shooters, PS3 pad for pretty much everything else, but I dont mind shooters on PS controllers yet I dont like the feel of the football games on the 360 controller, but dont really care, ill get used to em. I dunno now, PS3 or 360 :( Ill decide nearer the date, but the interactive world cup, why is that only on the PS3?

Talking about PSN is free, I got to pay another 40 quid for XBOX Live :( Damn them!

Also I noticed, why do the nets look like a steel cage, well similar atleast? Doesnt move very convincing either...

Last edited:

plus you can share edited fifa option files for the latest transfers if ea leave any big signing out on the PS3

If I had both PS3 and 360.. I would get FIFA 08 on the 360.

I'm sure 360 owners will be playing the FIFA 08 Demo first as well.. there will be more people online on Live vs PSN with FIFA 08 I would guess..

the NHL 08 Demo has been out for a couple weeks now on 360 and the PS3 demo still not out.

Not because of the price, because of the amount of decent games available. I have a drawer full of 360 games I'm yet to complete. The only games I'm interested in on PS3 (exclusives) are Resistance and... That's it. Plus the achievements system, the friends system, everything is ten times better than on PS3. There will be some great games on the PS3 but nowhere near the amount that's currently on the 360, until early next year at least.

In my opinion, of course.

all that, plus the THE FACT that amost every multi plataform game looks and runs better on the 360... its just a fact.. we cant argue with that.

I wonder what all these PS3 Fanboys do at night while we are playing Forza, Bioshock, Command and Conquer etc etc.

Like i said before you cant call yourself a true gamer if you sit staring at your $500 paperweight get a Xbox 360 play some great games now and get a PS3 later maybe in 2008/9 when a decent PES is actually truly built for it and not ported from the PS2.

Ive decided to wait until March next year to get the PS3, the prices at the current minute, doesnt match the quality of the console im affraid.

The actual quality of the machine is excellent and if your a fan of HD movies then I'd reccomend a PS3 in an instant but as a gaming platform which is what the Playstation name has made it's name from then sadly it's not worth owning unless money is no object. But to have one over a XBOX 360 and then call yourself a gamer is ludicrous to say the least.

Thought I'd try and bring this thread back on topic (I guess being an ex-mod of another forum means old habbits die hard)......

Did anyone pick up on the sound of the ball hitting the net on the latest vid called "goooal" or something? Check it out on the goal from the free-kick - you just hear it before the crowd react - sweet as anything and VERY realistic.

Also, in defense of the keepers who have been taking a battering recently, the reaction of the keeper for the deflected third goal in the vid is spot on - exactly how you would expect a keeper to react.

And before I kick off another "oh woe is me" debate on the keepers, remember that it has been observed that Ferrier is playing RB for Chelsea and in other vids where there was no suggestion of dodgy keepers, the new Brazillian guy is playing there so clearly the vids that are being presented are not possibly in chronological order.

Off topic - but does anyone know if a xbox 360 controller can be used in a ps3?

I have both consoles and IMO the games run far better for me on the ps3 - Although in my case this may be due to the fact that my xbox360 runs through vga(720p) and my ps3 in 1080p through hdmi. And it looks far far better on the ps3. I know there is a jump up in resolutions, but there is a huge noticable difference in colours, sharpness etc etc.

I just hate the ps3 controller, i hate the analogue sticks. Where as the xbox360's pad for me is perfect. IMO the best pad for ages.

On topic - This year ill be buying fifa 08 on the ps3 for the reasons above, cant wait for the interactive leagues and a full career mode, i like where EA are going and their vision for the future is spoken as if from true footy game fans.

I dont know about pes2008 - think i will wait until some other repected 'neutral' members on here give their verdict first. Mainly cause of the 'Same old same old' factor

Last edited:

It hasn't been asked don't worry :)

Firstly you're welcome, as I said previously I mainly went to get a Fifa fix myself as I'm struggling a little like the rest of you with the anticipation ;) but obviously being able to give you guys info that you might not get through official channels is pretty fun :)

Yeah on UCL it does happen from time to time that a player will pick up the ball and have a kind of 30 second invulnerability from the tackle, obviously this time around I was playing human v human which I've never done before, so it is possible the AI has some quirkes, but in both matches I was able to win the ball well when I timed my tackles or attempted interceptions correctly, obviously because you're competing against someone in the heat of the excitement you get a bit carried away and mess up your timing but I thought I defended pretty well.

What I did notice and like was that those defenders which are slightly better than the others around them will do a noticeably better job, for example as Sheffield Wednesday I noticed that Frankie Simek was my best defender by far (in real life he's head and shoulders above most of the team), but Steve Watson also did a good job especially in winning headers, when I was Liverpool Carragher was just awesome, winning tackles and headers, but I did notice that Finnan defended well in a quiet, calmly confident way (I know that sounds weird because I was the one controlling him but it just felt like Finnan you know?) :)

Thanks for the reply ,I'll be interested to hear about defending whenever(or if) you get the chance to play against the cpu .

Watched the video, and got some worries and some joys, the joys, as usual the graphics look very nice, looks quite like a real match, maybe the grass could be a stronger green but its ok as it is, the camera adds to the realism aswell, I suppose the broadcast camera or something like on PES aswell, but maybe thats one reason PES doesnt look as good? But I have to say does look similar to the previous Fifas, but then again I wasnt expecting much of a graphics change, as I see all the other games and think they aint so I doubt this would (im going by tiger woods 08, madden 08 etc) anyway also the player faces dont look right, at all, seems the improvements in looks arent as much as PES, to me seems fifa added creasing in kits, PES added creasing in kits, sweat and also the good old amazing faces, and supposedly good facials. But fifa looks like a real match, PES is nice to watch I guess.

Onto the gameplay, keepers look poo, cant really say anything more about it, from that video I just saw, believe placebo posted page before, the free kick, own goal and header, the keeper was craply, positioned and did nothing, the ball moves weird aswell, when recieving the ball seems like it bounces a lot, doesnt look as realistic as they make out, and seems still floaty on long balls.

But anyway, im yet to play and thats what I want to see improved, and the new game modes offcourse, its probaly why I want to play it more, probs because its out earlier, and has new modes I want to try, more subtlities rather than real substance but cant say, have to play it....

My question now is, what are all of you fifa players gonna get it on, as I can either get it on PS3 or XBOX360? :D

You're lucky to own both consoles ,I intent to get it on my XBOX360

You're lucky to own both consoles ,I intent to get it on my XBOX360

im lucky enought to have both platforms and enjoy both. not a great deal in it at the mo. bar the bigger game catalogue. which will should become less of an issue in the next 6 months.

IMO just play on whatever you enjoy each to their own.

Thought I'd try and bring this thread back on topic (I guess being an ex-mod of another forum means old habbits die hard)......

Did anyone pick up on the sound of the ball hitting the net on the latest vid called "goooal" or something? Check it out on the goal from the free-kick - you just hear it before the crowd react - sweet as anything and VERY realistic.

Also, in defense of the keepers who have been taking a battering recently, the reaction of the keeper for the deflected third goal in the vid is spot on - exactly how you would expect a keeper to react.

And before I kick off another "oh woe is me" debate on the keepers, remember that it has been observed that Ferrier is playing RB for Chelsea and in other vids where there was no suggestion of dodgy keepers, the new Brazillian guy is playing there so clearly the vids that are being presented are not possibly in chronological order.

I agree, Ithought the own goal animation and reaction times were spot on and the video's are inconsistant with regards to what stage of code they are at.

Anway the keeper thing has been analysed and done to death and is something that does not concern me at this stage.I will probably master the game on world class/Legend using manual passing, so no doubt the keepers will be far and away improved form the recent vids.

I am also a bit confused with the comments that "the physique/animation looks shit" of course this is a matter of opinion but I think that is a bit of an extreme view, especially comparing it to the completely different animation of PES.

EA are trying (and not always achieving) to simulate real bio-mechanics, this is a notoriously difficult thing to do and can sometimes look strange.However, its surely better to go down this path at the start of the new generation and fine tuning it for the next 6 years.

PEs has continued with its smooth mechanics but this is more becoming of a video game than a real life simulation and thats where (IMO) they are making the mistakes.They should have completely re-wrote the whole game from mid 2005(when alpha/beta kits were released for the new generation)in preperation for a 2007 release.

Instead I am looking at a smoother,greater graphical and slightly more animated PES5, not a different game.Whereas I compare FIFA07 to the new game on the 360/PS3 and its night and day IMO.

For anyone to say that FIFA or PES looks shit is not adding any value anywhere

Ill help you mjp, :lol:

I noticed that aswell, excellent crisp sound of the ball striking/going along the net. Also i watched the eng-isr match and the wembley nets actually moved pretty much the same as the new fifa goal videos. Same stantions at the back and in real life the net didnt actually move that much. Where the ball strikes it goes back and the rest of the net sways a bit. Very much like whats been shown in the videos now, and the sound was excellent aswell. So its looking good, as the 07 nets where like steel.

Look terrible for me, shitty physique, animation etc...

I speak about the video of FIFA08 ON PS3, and for me this game don't change, the last video with the new camera show all default of the game, look shit for me, scripted etc... If you like it, it's perfect for you.

Oh my god have you seen PES this year its a joke. :lmao:

How can you call this scripted.

It looks almost real, where as cartoon PES with its glass marble on wood floor ball physics, and players on rails.

And what about as soon as you get the ball a defender is on you, with no time to think.

Open you eyes TG the PS3 has failed and so has seabass.

Nah PS3 hasn't failed. It's selling as well as the 360 did in it's first year, and it took a while for people to realise the potential of the 360 too. The PS3 will come good once people learn how to use the power of it.

ME - Can you make lob's headings? JACK BAUER - Not sure what you mean - do you mean can you lob the ball with one player and then head with another? If so, yes

No i mean can you chip the ball while heading, for example, with foots you can push :x: for a short pass, :circle: for an high pass, can you do it with the head too?

ME - If a ball is going out and you are chasing it but you don't want to touch it, can you make it? ? JACK BAUER - Yes, thank God; if you stop moving the stick/pad, the player will stop moving
ME - Can you protect the ball without touching it? JACK BAUER -Yes

Obviously in every game you can stop, but i mean can you follow the ball very close, without touching it, i.e. while you want to protect a ball going out. In pes you can at least use supercancel to go toward the ball but changing direction before touching it, you can't protect that without touching it, though.

ME - Can you make an intentional foul? JACK BAUER -Yes You can press "slide tackle" and get yourself a red card easily, if you're behind a player for example. Is that what you mean?

No i mean, like in WE9, using :x:, in this case, tryng to stop the opposite player with heavy body conctat.

ME - Can you switch tactics during the play? can you build different formations and assign them a button to be switched as a tactics? JACK BAUER - Not currently, perhaps in FIFA 08

Maybe Placebo can answer to this? and what about indirect free kicks?

Last edited:

Cammeyboy got to disagree for a moment there, check the official pro evo trailer, and then theres one bit in particular, the nutmeg by by messi I think cant remember :D But anyway, the ball physics there are the ebst I have ever seen, the way he taps it through, in the first bounce, it slides a little rather than spinning, as not enough friction causes it to spin, on the second touch with the floor, after the minature bounce, it starts to spin, absolutely perfect that is :D

And also I personally prefer the PS3 as a machine to the 360, Ive had past bad experiences with the 360, and theres no faulting that the 360 is a shoddly piece of machinery, im on my 3rd which isnt as much as some, cause it couldnt handle some games and crap, now with this one the disk tray dosnt open properly, and to top it off sounds horrible, but thats just the machine, but the games is what is has, but even then I dont play much, Bioshock isnt all that great, well I didnt think so, Doom in HD. Forza I would onlyplay for editing options might get it, but I dont really like Forza, didnt like the demo thought it was absolute crap, and I have Command and Conquer, love that game :D

Also I think Fight Night 3 is better on PS3 :D Probably some others too...

But yeah I think I will probably get it on PS3 :D Atleast I dont have to worry putting it in the 360 and seeing if it dont like the game and give me 3 red lights :(

No i mean can you chip the ball while heading, for example, with foots you can push :x: for a short pass, :circle: for an high pass, can you do it with the head too?
Oh I see what you mean - I think. :eh: No, I don't think you can. It's the same as in PES, you've got headed pass and headed shot. Actually, :square: heads as well, but I've no idea what that does. Headed clearance maybe? Manual header?

Obviously in every game you can stop, but i mean can you follow the ball very close, without touching it, i.e. while you want to protect a ball going out. In pes you can at least use supercancel to go toward the ball but changing direction before touching it, you can't protect that without touching it, though.
Yes, you can - you can on 100% manual passing at least, that's the only way I play the game. It's totally manual so you can follow right behind it and then stop, no overriding of the controls.

No i mean, like in WE9, using :x:, in this case, tryng to stop the opposite player with heavy body conctat.
Wasn't :x: in WE9 stab-tackle, the same as it is now? That's in there, obviously. Or do you mean a deliberate foul button, like there was in FIFA years ago (which means you do a two-footed violent tackle)? That's not there.

Can you switch tactics during the play? can you build different formations and assign them a button to be switched as a tactics?
You can switch strategies during the game now but still not change formation, at least, not in the build my contact was playing (I asked about that myself). So you have to pause the game and change it manually.

and what about indirect free kicks?
Still no idea on that, PLACEBO, wake up!! ;)

Last edited:

I do hope FIFA introduce the ability to mess about with the number of choices when taking a freekick.

its rare nowadays that you see one sole player standing next to the ball when 25 yards from goal.

Pes does a great job of this IMO and something that EA could easily implement in future games.

I think there is like a lob header think its been in PES and Fifa for a long time, the shoot buttons are clearance header where they just jump and head as far as they can depening on positioning, or shooting header if they are in the other half, the pass header passes to nearest player that you are aiming towards, and the lob/cross pass would cause the header to be like a inspirational pass, where its directed to a player far away, but it probably wont reach, but might do.

But may be mistaken, might just be what I see, I only usually use the shoot/clearance header and standard pass headers.

Ive always found FKs in Fifa poor, PES are great the way theyve done it now, I love their system :D Maybe Fifa should try to copy it, well better atleast :D

Yes FK's are the same in Fifa as before and are one of the few things that are poor and should be improved, hopefully it's on their list of "pazazz" things to add for 09 :)

Back
Top Bottom