FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

In that second picture, isn't he way too far off his line? I don't recall seeing a goalkeeper out that far just before a free-kick is taken. When it's being set-up maybe, but not a second before the ball is struck.

Im a goalkeeper and I would suggest his positioning is just about bang on. His wall if doing the correct job protects one side of the goal and he another. if the taker is good enough to get it up and over then being a coupe of yards of the line shortens the dive distance.

You shouldnt be on your line apart from penalties imo.

Erm, cheers for that. It's not like I'm saying the game will rule my life. All I've said is that it will be gutting if one problem ruins an entire game - how is that "bollocks"? Similar things eventually put me off FIFA 07 and UEFA CL, so it's a worry born out of past experience. If you ask me, the guy who needs to chill out here is the one shouting "bollocks".

Anyway, moving on...

I've just had a conversation with my good old contact* regarding this and my hope has been raised again. He's played week-old versions of PES2008 and FIFA 08 on a certain next-gen console (can't say which one - don't know why but he's said that's the only "confidential" thing in the whole conversation, everything else I'm allowed to divulge though). He says that FIFA 08 is currently edging it for him and most of the others in his office, which is great. He's a PES fan, plays it every lunchtime at work, but he says he's enjoying FIFA 08 more at the moment.

It's a bit weird though, he was telling me (as were all the other sources relating to it) that the flow of the game (the passing and the movement) in PES2008 had to be seen to be believed. Now he's saying in FIFA 08 the flow is "almost perfect", and that it feels "just right". Apparently you can really feel the difference between different players, and different teams (not just a better/worse difference but e.g. an English/Spanish difference).

He's said it's obvious, to him, that both games have set out in one way or another to copy eachother this year. He thinks that PES has had some things added to it that have been lifted straight out of FIFA (he didn't say what but months ago he mentioned that the feet-planting system was awful, which has now been fixed), and FIFA vice-versa - but he feels that the changes to FIFA amount to the biggest difference. He says each player feels a lot more individual, and the response time has been tuned quite a bit. The only two people in his office that still prefer PES don't like FIFA's faces and the response times - they still think it could be tuned further, but I used to know one of these two guys personally and he is the biggest PES bumboy in the world. He's the kind of person who only plays PES because he enjoys having a fight when someone says "FIFA". The other guy is usually sensible from what I know, though.

Not one mention of dodgy goalkeepers either, so... Woohoo!

* = If you don't believe that I have a contact then please don't make ten posts about it, you either believe it or you don't - I'm not offended either way, especially with the amount of crap spread by a certain "contact" who's fake information weaseled his way into several posts in the PES2008 thread. I'm just trying to serve a community I've been a part of for years, and this is a guy I've known personally for a long time.

Jack many thanks for all the info you gather for us. Im curious though, have you asked your contact why he said that "You have to see PES 2008 in motion", he said it was amazing, but the videos of gameplay we have seen so far are certainly not mind blowing to say the least. Sorry to ask about PES in this thread but I'm also interested in FIFA and I saw your post here.

That's why I said in the bit you've quoted that "it's a bit weird", he was telling me that the flow of PES2008 had to be seen to be believed, and now he's saying the same about FIFA 08.

What he was referring to is how the game flows, the passing movement. He meant it looked totally natural, the way that the players were passing to eachother and moving into space. But after playing FIFA 08 for a few days he reckons the flow in that is even better - he even went so far as to say, it's almost as if they've managed to see what Konami were doing to their game and then tried to copy it for themselves.

Did I not say that it flowed very smoothly a couple of weeks ago?

;)

Did I not say that it flowed very smoothly a couple of weeks ago?

;)

You did and apparantly the version Placebo played today was newer than the Leizpeg one and reaction time has been touched up etc. It's looking good for FIFA this year.

first of all thanks from also for placebo getting the info

as u may all know or not, i play pro evo, this year fifa has excited me, the reports coming out are fantastic, the only thing im curious about is that on the we blog the guys said that its the same old fifa gameplay so dont get too excited, im just asking the question here, because i am hearing different reports, so is it the same or is it much better? hope that makes sense and i really hope fifa 08 is awesome, i really do

That's why I said in the bit you've quoted that "it's a bit weird", he was telling me that the flow of PES2008 had to be seen to be believed, and now he's saying the same about FIFA 08.

What he was referring to is how the game flows, the passing movement. He meant it looked totally natural, the way that the players were passing to eachother and moving into space. But after playing FIFA 08 for a few days he reckons the flow in that is even better - he even went so far as to say, it's almost as if they've managed to see what Konami were doing to their game and then tried to copy it for themselves.

Well that's good news for FIFA, and good news for those of us willing to give both games a fair chance.

first of all thanks from also for placebo getting the info

as u may all know or not, i play pro evo, this year fifa has excited me, the reports coming out are fantastic, the only thing im curious about is that on the we blog the guys said that its the same old fifa gameplay so dont get too excited, im just asking the question here, because i am hearing different reports, so is it the same or is it much better? hope that makes sense and i really hope fifa 08 is awesome, i really do

Fantastic site WENB and well worth visiting.the only thing I would say is that the guys at WENB have not put as much research and time into the demo as they have PES.So its quite easy to look over a shoulder and say its the same as last year.

First impressions by everyone on this site was that PES2008 was a mere upgrade of PES6, clearly its not having seen more and researched a little more.

Did you get any info on a tricks list ?

Are there tricks that wont be in the manual that you find out yourself ?

Response time more like fifa 07 ? if you played it if so brilliant as UEFA CL fault was this and probably only this if it didnt have response time problems id have played it over pro evo

Any ratings for players you played with from Liverpool and Arsenal ?

About the finesse shot if you used it ? Is it harder to score with than uefa cl as fifa 07 you could score 9/10 times and after 100 games i got bored..

will ask more questions if they have not been asked thanks for all the answers so far

Response time more like fifa 07 ? if you played it if so brilliant as UEFA CL fault was this and probably only this if it didnt have response time problems id have played it over pro evo

About the finesse shot if you used it ? Is it harder to score with than uefa cl as fifa 07 you could score 9/10 times and after 100 games i got bored..

will ask more questions if they have not been asked thanks for all the answers so far

I think most of your questions have already been answered Jay, have a browse through mate.

sorry the internet here is so slow in Africa atm until 2moz so please bare with Q been asked that have been answered but im sure the 1st two have not :)

Fantastic site WENB and well worth visiting.the only thing I would say is that the guys at WENB have not put as much research and time into the demo as they have PES.So its quite easy to look over a shoulder and say its the same as last year.

First impressions by everyone on this site was that PES2008 was a mere upgrade of PES6, clearly its not having seen more and researched a little more.

Excellent point there mate.

I certainly do hope to play a lot more than I did at Leipzig, and perhaps will be able to give a more defining view on the game. Then again Im sure everyone will be able to judge for themselves when the demo hits.

I hope it isnt the same one from the GC, would hate to have Inter in there instead of Milan ;)

Excellent point there mate.

I certainly do hope to play a lot more than I did at Leipzig, and perhaps will be able to give a more defining view on the game. Then again Im sure everyone will be able to judge for themselves when the demo hits.

I hope it isnt the same one from the GC, would hate to have Inter in there instead of Milan ;)

Thanks Adonis

one thing is for sure, we are going to have a treat in comparison to any version gone before as far as PES and FIFA is concerned this year.

IMO FIFA has made the most changes, but PES also looks sweet, especially the new PC shots that Chris issued on your site today.
two great games that will consume my life for the next year and both well worth the purchase.

I wish PES could just listen a bit more to the punter especially with regards to the outdated ML, but hey you dont always get what you want.

Thanks for the efforts at WENB, some brilliant info on PES.

Cheers

Dr Force is that your GT? I'll add you as soon as I get my 360 back, I got the 3RL's playing Pro Evo, I know I deserve it ;). only joking but it's good to play mature gamers as well.

Dr Force is that your GT? I'll add you as soon as I get my 360 back, I got the 3RL's playing Pro Evo, I know I deserve it ;). only joking but it's good to play mature gamers as well.

Hi jay

yes that is my GT so feel free to add me mate.

I got the 3RL's playin PES5 (no shit) on my 360, but not had a problem since.

looking forward to FIFA more than I have any other footy game since PES3\\:o/

Paul, what do you actually do for a living fella?(and by the way I am a mature gamer too at a young 35:shock::roll:)

I'm the Community/PR Manager for Bohemia Interactive Studio, I used to do it full-time based in the Czech Republic, the wife and I moved to Singapore in February so I basically "retired" for a while, but now I'm back working part-time external from Singapore :)

Glad to see there's another old fart still playing games at "his age" ;)

I'll add the info I have about tricks and such in my next information post ;)

Fifa07 360? Hmm well unfortunately I can't remember what the response time was in 07 so I can't really compare it, all I can say is as mentioned previously it's faster than UCL and it felt smooth and responsive :)

No sorry I only looked at the ratings for Gary Neville :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't try to use it, most likely because as mentioned a couple of times the controller config was different to what I was used to so I was just trying to stick to the basics ;)

I'm trying to remember the 4 goals I scored as Liverpool, one was a penalty (chipped straight down the middle to piss the other guy off ;)), one was rounding the keeper and tapping into an empty net, one was a Kuyt top right corner header the last one was a tap into an empty net after a bit of a scramble, I think I ran through on goal, keeper rushed out, I shot, keeper saved it but couldn't hold onto it, ball was loose in the box, keeper out of position, his defender got the ball but I won it back before he could clear it and I just tapped it in, real messy, ugly scrambled goal, but they all count of course ;)

Sure thing :)

Ok so now I'll try to post the rest of the information and such that I haven't posted before, I'll try to remember everything at once but if I leave something out I'll just add it later :)

Tricks and the "Gary Neville" factor: I said to the EA guy that whilst a lot of people seem excited about Fifa 08's tricks one of the biggest concerns is that players like Gary Neville will be running around doing flipflaps and Blanco jumps and what not, he told me this wasn't how it will be, and that the ability to do tricks for each player is primarily stat based, with attributes such as agility, ball control and others being what define what tricks a player can do.

There are 3 levels to the tricks, the basic ones such as feints, the middle ones such as step overs and then the highest level of tricks that only the very, very best players can do such as flipflap, Blanco's jump, Christiano Ronaldo's turn etc. etc.

Now this is the bit some people will disagree with but I think is realistic, even Gary Neville can do the most basic tricks, such as feints and such, although because of his stats they will be much slower than if a "good" player was doing them, I think this is correct because anyone, even a 60 year old granny can stand next to a football and do a feint, it's just a shoulder/leg movement, just if a granny (or Gary Neville) does it then it will be slow and pretty much ineffective.

The inverse is also true for the top level of tricks, example Ronaldhino can do Blanco's jump, or Christiano Ronaldo's turn, and again I think that's accurate, if Ronaldinho is skilled enough to be able to do the tricks we know he can do such as the flipflap, he could just as easily learn to do Blanco's jump or any other trick that the best players pull off.

Finally regarding tricks, I asked the EA guy if we will see the AI utilising the tricks, for example if we play as Chelsea v Barcelona will we see Ronaldinho running around doing tricks even if the AI are controlling the team and he confirmed that is the case, which is good news :)

Quick change FK taker: one of the things that bugged me about 07/UCL next gen is that when you get a freekick/corner there's no quick way to change the freekick taker (in 07 PS2 you hold down R1 then scroll with the D-pad, works great), I asked the EA guy if there would be a way to quickly change kick takers, the strange thing was when he went to do it to show me it was no longer working, so it looks like for some reason it was removed/disabled from the build they were showing in GCA, so I'm hoping that means there's a chance it will be in the release version (it looked like he was trying to press "LB" for it).

Be a Pro 5v5 outside EU/USA: there's been a little confusion about the availability of Be a Pro 5v5 and why it won't be available in certain regions. The EA guy confirmed to me that sadly it won't be available in Asia or any other continent outside the USA/EU (I didn't ask about Canada but I'm pretty much assuming it will be available there)

The reason that for example Australia/Asia won't be able to have be a pro 5v5 is because there aren't sufficient EA Servers in these regions so the latency would be so bad it would make the mode unstable and unenjoyable to play. The good news is that EA want to make the mode available worldwide and are currently investigating what needs to be done and where to make this possible. I asked if he had any idea of a time-scale for Asia or other parts of the world (I asked if perhaps we'd be able to see it before Fifa09) and he answered that they honestly didn't know.

Be a Pro Arena Mode: not a very big thing but something I noticed, when you set up a Be a Pro match, during the loading of the game it appears that the player you chose to control is automatically the one you have available to you in the Arena as the game is loading (I accidentally chose Yoann Folly as the player I was controlling in be a pro and whilst loading it was Folly I had in the arena, hence the video of me doing tricks one handed with him ;)), it seemed like a good, simple idea as you then can take a little time familiarising yourself with how that player moves and shoots, or if you chose Drogba you can familiarise yourself with how he throws himself to the ground as if shot by the 2nd sniper on the grassy knoll every time he's tackled ;)

Core makeup of current gen/next gen teams: we talked a little about feature content of both current and next gen, how current gen seems to have more of the little touches and features we would like next gen to have (pre-season friendlies, keepers that can be sent off or injured, etc. etc.), I told him that a lot of people were unhappy about the apparent lack of "extra pazazz" in next gen, I also told him that the new updates to the FAQ had been badly received, that it was basically "is this, this this and this in next gen, answer no, no, no, no". He went on to explain to me that with Fifa08 the current gen team constitutes a larger portion of designers (because the graphics and AI have reached a level where they are at the extremes of what the systems can offer), whereas the next gen dev team constitutes a larger portion of programmers (for the AI, movement, tactical awareness, threat mapping and all that) and "graphicians" (all the extra kits, stadiums, balls and what not of 30 leagues needed creating by someone). So that reason is part of the reason that next gen (in comparison to current gen), looks like it's lacking a little love, feature wise, now that everything has been created for 08 it should mean that less stuff needs to be made from scratch in 09 and there is more room in the team for extra love/features/pazazz in 09 :)

Lifespan for current gen I asked him if there would reach a time where they stopped making a current gen version of Fifa, he said that whilst it still indicated there's a market for current gen they'll keep making current gen versions.

Edit Mode: one question I asked him about edit mode was to clear up some confusion I'd been reading, we were told that for the star players with real faces we couldn't edit their face (which of course makes sense), but the question was whether or not we can change their hair/facial hair? Beckham being the perfect example, for two weeks he was bleached blonde so appears that way in all EA's Fifa08 shots and then in his last Galaxy appearance we see he's shaved it all off, so obviously a year with Beckham's white hair would be annoying. Unfortunately the EA guy confirmed that for players with "real" faces we will not be able to change their hair/facial hair, I pointed out to him that PES lets us do that so I think he took it on board ;)

One thing I was very keen to look for was the edit mode, I wanted to see if for example you can change the skin tone of a player easily, just playing as Sheffield Wednesday I saw a couple of players that need some adjusting (Wade Small in game is light black but in real life he's very black black), unfortunately I couldn't find the edit mode, I went into creation centre/edit player but all I could see was the usual edit stuff such as name/DOB/nationality/tape or no tape/shirt tucked or untucked and where you edit his attributes, so either I wasn't looking in the right place or it was disabled in the build I was playing, the EA guy had left at that point so unfortunately I couldn't ask him about it.

I have to admit that there's something he told me that he then asked me to not reveal, but we talked about so much I can't remember for the life of me what it was, so hopefully if it is something I've revealed he won't get into too much trouble ;)

I think that's everything he told me that I hadn't posted so far, if anything else comes to me I'll post it, obviously if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them :)

Thanks for all this information.

Got to say, I ditched FIFA for Pro Evo in 2001, but for whatever reason, I'm genuinely excited about this years edition and I'm anticipating it more than Pro Evo for the first time in a dog's age.

Placebo, ask him if they are thinking on implementing appropriate goal types for their corresponding stadiums. It's kind of strange when your playing at the Nou Camp with Premier league style goals. The nets at the Nou Camp are much more solid white in color. PES2008 has this exact same goal/net styles that should be in the Spanish league stadiums.

Wondering if they can change this with an online patch if it's too late to implement.

Thanks for all the info mate.

Peace!

One thing I was very keen to look for was the edit mode, I wanted to see if for example you can change the skin tone of a player easily, just playing as Sheffield Wednesday I saw a couple of players that need some adjusting (Wade Small in game is light black but in real life he's very black black), unfortunately I couldn't find the edit mode, I went into creation centre/edit player but all I could see was the usual edit stuff such as name/DOB/nationality/tape or no tape/shirt tucked or untucked and where you edit his attributes, so either I wasn't looking in the right place or it was disabled in the build I was playing, the EA guy had left at that point so unfortunately I couldn't ask him about it.

thanx for all the insite man! i really appreciate your effort to give information on this game for us here at evoweb.

i must say im very disapointed to hear this thing about the edit mode....

so it seems that in the end we will only get that superficial edit mode we had in fifa07 and UCL...

at the moment i doubt very much that there will be a deeper edit mode in the final version, since the version u played didnt feature it... (i hope, pray, im wrong though)

a good and fully edited "edit mode" is a need in this new fifa...specially for people interested in the non big europen leagues, like me....i bet the brazilain league will come with a many many roster and apperance mistakes...and without a goog edit mode, this wont be possible to fix...

its just a pitty to have a great game and at the same time have players not looking like themselves without us beeing able to edit them...
i was very pissed in fifa 07 with my villarreal squad when i saw that many players looked nothing like themselves, and i couldnt do anything about it(Cani was a great example).

now, if villarreal had many roster mistakes, can u imagine how many will the braizlian, and all other sub leagues have? i know its very hard for EA to keep every player in the game updated and acurate in apperance..so, give us a PROPER EDIT MODE...and than we can do it ourselves...

im really excited about this fifa 08.. like others mentioned, i think this might be the first next(current) gen game that satisfies my needs.. but iam very disapointed to think we wont be able to edit at least the players that have generic faces. thats just a step back.

Placebo, ask him if they are thinking on implementing appropriate goal types for their corresponding stadiums.

Unfortunately my time machine is broken :(

thanx for all the insite man! i really appreciate your effort to give information on this game for us here at evoweb.

i must say im very disapointed to hear this thing about the edit mode....

so it seems that in the end we will only get that superficial edit mode we had in fifa07 and UCL...

EA already confirmed in their own forums that the game will feature an appearance editor, and that you can edit the appearance of generic players, so I think it was simply a case of the appearance editor being hidden somewhere in the build I was playing or it had been removed for reasons of unresolved bugs or something like that :)

Back
Top Bottom