FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Thanks for the vids even though 2 are a blur. lol. It looks like Deon Burton is finally black in 08' if I could tell correct from your arena video and they the little afro as well. So How much of an improvemnt over UCL is it?

Unfortunately as mentioned that was Yoann Folly ;) I believe Deon in 08 is "light black", which does make him look white when zoomed out, Wade Small is the same, I was berating the EA guy saying "Wade Small is not white!" then during a cutscene it showed he also was "light black", so I told him that was acceptable for Deon but Wade should be blacker, he said he's gonna try and get that fixed for me for retail ;)

I think the figure I gave was 75% better than UCL? I'll stick with that, sounds about right :)

60 FPS? can you compare to something already out like NHL 08 which is silky smooth?

I couldn't say what FPS it was running at, certainly it played very smooth, didn't notice any hiccups or anything like that. Haven't tried NHL 08 so can't compare I'm afraid.

Worst video I have seen, Keeper comes rushing out with no awareness for the ball nor the attacker.

Dissapointed.

I played the arena a fair bit and every time I got too close to the keeper he rushed out directly at me and won the ball 90% of the time except for the couple of times I pulled off a "skill move™" at the correct time and left him clawing for air :)

As I mentioned earlier one of the goals I scored with Liverpool was me rounding Lehman and slotting into an empty net, for one thing Lehman came straight at me, for another it was a situation where I very much noticed the improved response compared to UCL, I actually timed my swerve away from Lehman too late (at least that's what I thought compared to how I'd have to time it to round the keeper in UCL) but Kuyt responded very quickly and Lehman was clawing at my shadow as I tapped it in to an empty net :) And you have to consider that presumably Kuyt has a lower agility attribute compared to many other forwards because that's how he is in real life......

Placebo

brilliant input and I would like to exspress my gratitude for making so much effort in giving us your impressions.
Oh you're more than welcome, glad to be able to contribute something to a forum and a community that has given me so much over the years :)

How would you rate the collision physics, have they improved so there is little stop/start when players collide?

Is the ref more forgiving allowing the game to flow?

(I moved the two similar questions together), collision physics seemed right, certainly nothing happened I was like "WTF happened there", the tackling was really, really sweet, when you get a sliding, lunging tackle right and you win the ball leaving the guy on the ground it's a really nice feeling, obviously timing is the key there, get it wrong and you'll be punished, during the Owls v Blades game the EA guy tackled Tommy Spurr with one of the most crunching tackles I've seen, I was certain it was a foul, I actually stopped playing and was like "bloody hell that's a foul" but it wasn't he must have won the ball and play went on :)

Is the actual pace of the player realistic, ie when you try to pull away from a defender, do you get the feeling of him accelerating?

Overall pace is good, I read that the game had been slowed down but I didn't feel that if it had it was in any way a detriment to the gameplay.

One thing I wasn't happy with and I believe it's because I was using the wrong control config as to what I'm used to was sprinting, in UCL I hold down the right trigger to sprint but that wasn't in the control config I was using today so basically I couldn't figure out how to really sprint with the ball, I guess that's why I ended up attacking with lots of triangles and short passes and such, which in a way was a good thing ;)

How would you rate the overall atmosphere of the game? ie sound, crowd, lighting and stadia.

Unfortunately it was so loud there I heard nothing of the sound, if the commentary is as good as UCL then I'll be happy as I felt that UCL 360's commentary was the best in any football game ever, I'd also say that the crowd noise in UCL 360 was the best of any football game ever, so I expect it to be as good.

One thing of note is that each team has at least one rival (it actually says who their rival is on the team profile screen), and when you play the rival the commentators will specifically mention it's a derby match or you're playing a rival or whatever, and apparently that will also include championship teams so when I play Sheff Weds v Sheff Utd the commentators should talk about how it's a big derby and the result is important blah blah, which is a nice touch :)

Which one are you most looking forward to, PES or FIFA and why??

TBH I was always looking forward to Fifa08 more than PES2008 because I've grown disillusioned over the last couple of years with what Konami have been doing.

I actually talked to the EA guy about it, I was like "no offense but with EA there used to be a give and take, we'll give you a game and take your money, that was the extent of the give and take, but it seems that now it's Konami who've gone down that path and EA actually seem to be trying to make more of an effort to give the gamer what they want, to keep evolving the game and the series", an example of that is the Fifa forums, you have a number of different EA community guys posting in there now trying to give feedback, even if the answer is "no" it's still more feedback than Konami are giving. I gave the EA guy the example with PES that pissed a lot of singleplayer gamers such as myself, we begged and begged from PES3 for an improved ML, and what we got next was the same old ML but giant animal heads we could put on the players. I told him as one community guy to another I was impressed with the efforts I'd seen EA putting in with regards community outreach in the last year or so.

- How is the response compared to UCL? The same or a bit tighter? (My main issue as the rest seems to be great atm)

Definitely much better than UCL, reactions are very responsive, but again I feel I should mention I was happy enough with UCL's reaction times, I guess because I went 07 PS2 - UCL PS2 - 07 360 - UCL 360 - 08 360, maybe if you go PES 6 - UCL 360 it is a noticeable difference, but certainly I believe everyone will notice an improvement in response times, maybe not enough to convince the most diehard PES fan but that's their problem not mine, if they're happy with PES I'm happy with Fifa and that's all that matters :)

- Did you manage to see the speed setting? (Probably not as i would expect it to be in the controller setup)

I didn't see the speed setting no, and on retrospect I don't believe there was a speed setting in either of the 360 games previous, it was probably 07/UCL PS2 that had them (maybe someone else can confirm)

Apologies for answering questions out of order but it's hard to keep track, I'm just trying to ensure I answer everyone's questions :)

What absolute BOLLOCKS. Some of you lot need to chill out or you will give yourself a heart attack before you hit 35.
Erm, cheers for that. It's not like I'm saying the game will rule my life. All I've said is that it will be gutting if one problem ruins an entire game - how is that "bollocks"? Similar things eventually put me off FIFA 07 and UEFA CL, so it's a worry born out of past experience. If you ask me, the guy who needs to chill out here is the one shouting "bollocks".

Anyway, moving on...

I've just had a conversation with my good old contact* regarding this and my hope has been raised again. He's played week-old versions of PES2008 and FIFA 08 on a certain next-gen console (can't say which one - don't know why but he's said that's the only "confidential" thing in the whole conversation, everything else I'm allowed to divulge though). He says that FIFA 08 is currently edging it for him and most of the others in his office, which is great. He's a PES fan, plays it every lunchtime at work, but he says he's enjoying FIFA 08 more at the moment.

It's a bit weird though, he was telling me (as were all the other sources relating to it) that the flow of the game (the passing and the movement) in PES2008 had to be seen to be believed. Now he's saying in FIFA 08 the flow is "almost perfect", and that it feels "just right". Apparently you can really feel the difference between different players, and different teams (not just a better/worse difference but e.g. an English/Spanish difference).

He's said it's obvious, to him, that both games have set out in one way or another to copy eachother this year. He thinks that PES has had some things added to it that have been lifted straight out of FIFA (he didn't say what but months ago he mentioned that the feet-planting system was awful, which has now been fixed), and FIFA vice-versa - but he feels that the changes to FIFA amount to the biggest difference. He says each player feels a lot more individual, and the response time has been tuned quite a bit. The only two people in his office that still prefer PES don't like FIFA's faces and the response times - they still think it could be tuned further, but I used to know one of these two guys personally and he is the biggest PES bumboy in the world. He's the kind of person who only plays PES because he enjoys having a fight when someone says "FIFA". The other guy is usually sensible from what I know, though.

Not one mention of dodgy goalkeepers either, so... Woohoo!

* = If you don't believe that I have a contact then please don't make ten posts about it, you either believe it or you don't - I'm not offended either way, especially with the amount of crap spread by a certain "contact" who's fake information weaseled his way into several posts in the PES2008 thread. I'm just trying to serve a community I've been a part of for years, and this is a guy I've known personally for a long time.

Last edited:

Thankyou Placebo, brilliant response and i JUST CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME.

I like your comment re the outreach of the forums as that has made a difference, the nets for example was a big issue on the FIFA forums and bingo they made them better.
PESFAN/EVOWEB et al dont seem to be able to influenc Konami at all, and the lack of attention is maybe beginning to show a little.

Thanks again matey (will add you to my friends list)

What's your GamerTag Dr Force? I'll add you too.

Erm, cheers for that. It's not like I'm saying the game will rule my life. All I've said is that it will be gutting if one problem ruins an entire game - how is that "bollocks"? Similar things eventually put me off FIFA 07 and UEFA CL, so it's a worry born out of past experience. If you ask me, the guy who needs to chill out here is the one shouting "bollocks".

Anyway, moving on, I've just had a conversation with my good old contact* regarding this and my hope has been raised again. He's played week-old versions of PES2008 and FIFA 08 on a certain next-gen console (can't say which one - don't know why but he's said that's the only "confidential" thing in the whole conversation, everything else I'm allowed to divulge though). He says that FIFA 08 is currently edging it for him and most of the others in his office, which is great. He's a PES fan, plays it every lunchtime at work, but he says he's enjoying FIFA 08 more at the moment.

It's a bit weird though, he was telling me (as were all the other sources relating to it) that the flow of the game (the passing and the movement) in PES2008 had to be seen to be believed. Now he's saying in FIFA 08 it's "almost perfect", and that it feels "just right". Apparently you can really feel the difference between different players, and different teams (not just a better/worse difference but e.g. an English/Spanish difference).

He's said it's obvious, to him, that both games have set out in one way or another to copy eachother this year. He thinks that PES has had some things added to it (he didn't say what but weeks ago he mentioned the feet-planting system) that have been lifted straight out of FIFA, and FIFA has done the same - but he feels that the changes to FIFA amount to the biggest difference. He says each player feels a lot more individual, and the response time has been tuned a bit.

Not one mention of dodgy goalkeepers either, so... Woohoo!

* = If you don't believe that I have a contact then please don't make ten posts about it, you either believe it or you don't - I'm not offended either way, especially with the amount of crap spread by a certain "contact" who's fake information weaseled his way into several posts in the PES2008 thread. I'm just trying to serve a community I've been a part of for years, and this is a guy I've known personally for a long time.

Thankyou JB thats great to hear and should just give us that bit of security we want considering the anticipation for this game.

Everything your contact has stated seems to ring true when you watch the two games video's.I just feel that FIFA has potentially a more advanced AI and physics engine at this stage with Konami's being an improvement from last gen (IMO)and you can tell.

Response times tuned a bit FECKING GREAAAT and the info from a pes fan that they are enjoying it more speaks volumes.

Thanks for the update

Sadly the awful GK positioning in FKs is still there :( :(
So unrealistic.

I picked this complaint post about the FK at random so don't take it personally.....

Obviously with the first goal the keeping was awful, he should have punched or done something, the only headed goal of the two games I played today was mine versus Arsenal, Gerrard cross from the right to Kuyt on the far post who headed across the keeper and into the top corner right corner, if I remember correctly Lehman stayed on his line and dived to try to save it but the header was too good.

Now the freekick, I'm sorry but I don't see what's wrong with the goalkeeper's positioning? Isn't that in real life how they defend freekicks? The keeper stands to the side of the goal not being covered by the wall?

I took two screen grabs.......

In position one it does look a little as though he's too far to his righthand side of the goal, but look at position 2.....

You can see that's he's as far left as he can be yet still see the ball, by positioning himself so he can see the ball it gives him a greater chance to see in which direction the ball is being kicked.

If the keeper was positioned behind the wall then if the FK taker is left footed he has a very easy chance to score in the keeper's right hand side, or he has a good chance to cross the ball in with pace for a tap in into the keeper's right hand side. TBH I think the FK positioning is about right (for what my humble opinion may or may not be worth of course :))

I mirrored the 4 shakeycam vids I made for those people unable to download from Momupload......

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dj9txntd4bn
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8y3e9d5ntmj
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e4mbowtnlvh
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?axanxnmmidx
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2nymtvmmz1c

Added :)

Hope we can sort a tournament out on FIFA!

Tnx Placebo and Jack.

The example you give with kuyt has really made me happy ;) Its those type of situations that i just couldnt get the timing of correct in 07 and UCL, those moments when its just a "gut" reaction to something happening on screen. And also kuyt is fairly slow i would suspect, especially compared to torres, and even further to ronaldo. Which brings me on to jacks contact, who i do believe. Having a "contact" seems more hassle then its worth when posting information so there isnt anything to gain.
The fact that he, and the guys in his office are leaning towards fifa says an awfull lot to me, especially being diehards. Again the critism to game flow with regard to pes i would suspect has a lot to do with how you play the game and what level you are. The leipzig vids seem to be a bunch a guys just trying to get from one end to the other as quickly as possible. Not a good way to show it, although for me it wont matter this year as i have given up on it.

Another positive is the comments of both placebo and the contact about player indivuality, something fifa has lacked which pes has in bucket loads. That also makes game for more enjoyable and organic.

Its looking really good, even moreso because its from people playing the game instead of it being ea hype, which has to be said is fairly minimal this year imo.

@everybody

dont u guys find wierd that every video showing the GK AI problems are in the BE A PRO MODE????
u guys think that it could be something related to it??
i ask this because everybody we know that played the game(in normal fashion, not Be a pro mode) didnt see any GK AI problems

I took two screen grabs.......

In position one it does look a little as though he's too far to his righthand side of the goal, but look at position 2.....

You can see that's he's as far left as he can be yet still see the ball, by positioning himself so he can see the ball it gives him a greater chance to see in which direction the ball is being kicked.
In that second picture, isn't he way too far off his line? I don't recall seeing a goalkeeper out that far just before a free-kick is taken. When it's being set-up maybe, but not a second before the ball is struck.

With regards to the goalie issue, i think its also to do with 07's lame goals that could be scored by "lobbing" the goalie, even though he was standing on his line. The vid shows a similar situation that he just cant get high enough being slightly off his line to make the save. However you see those types of goals nearly every weekend on motd. A good freekick that the goalie just couldnt get to. Reminds me of beckhams 1st la goal, the goalie didnt even dive and just stood still. Im sure Ive seen reina concede like that before aswell.

im not condemming it just yet but it just what it looks like. Another question is why would they release promo videos showing gameplay flaws if they knew they were flaws in the first place? doesnt seem like good business to me.

We get asked that quite often because of releasing ArmA videos that include bugs we know we've already fixed or are on the list to fix.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things, if you want websites/magazines talking about your game you have to give them betas which will include things you have fixed or will fix, if you want the community to not be demanding for new shots, new videos, new news, you have to release shots and videos and news from the game in its current build :)

What absolute BOLLOCKS. Some of you lot need to chill out or you will give yourself a heart attack before you hit 35.

I only have 20 days until I reach that landmark, fortunately the amazing wife, the wonderful country I live in and the great job help keep me very happy and chilled ;)

@ Placebo;

Tnx for the answer regarding response time. That has made me more positive about the game as the response time in UCL was just too slow for me. In what way do you consider it faster/sharper? Is it in shooting/passing response or also in movement response i.e. turning?

In both ways, how quickly they pass the ball and shoot as well as how quickly they respond to your movements on the stick, not sure if my comment about rounding Lehman was before or after this question but in UCL to round the keeper you pretty much have to start making your movements before you're close to the keeper because of how he responds and how wide the turning circle is, as mentioned in 08 I thought I'd timed it too late but the kick response time and the agile way Kuyt moved meant I rounded Lehman really close to him and it just looked so sweet, I looked at the kid I was playing and he even seemed impressed with how it happened, he had the kind of "I know you just scored against me but that was a good goal and it was a deserved goal well taken" look :)

Thankyou Placebo, brilliant response and i JUST CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME.

I like your comment re the outreach of the forums as that has made a difference, the nets for example was a big issue on the FIFA forums and bingo they made them better.
PESFAN/EVOWEB et al dont seem to be able to influenc Konami at all, and the lack of attention is maybe beginning to show a little.

Thanks again matey (will add you to my friends list)

Glad to be of help :)

I actually mentioned these forums quite a lot to him in terms of the mindset of the community, I guess it's not that often he gets to hear feedback so quickly about stuff they release, I was telling him about how the 2 new gamespot videos from yesterday were received and such :)

Well it's 11:22pm here and I'm gonna go to bed, so unfortunately I won't be able to give you the rest of the info until tomorrow, hopefully you're all still interested enough to read more of my babble, I'm tempted to go back tomorrow to play some more but I'll have to resist the urge and spend the weekend with the lovely Mrs. Statham instead (no not my Mum ;))

Placebo, in all honesty I was getting suspicious about U being some kind of undercover EA marketing guy when U tried to justify the keeper positing. But I went out to look for some free-kick video's to see if you right..and yes..keepers do trust on their wall allot..it is strange I never noticed this before.

Just one example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRdv3ai9UYc
pause at 0:28

A massive round of applause to Mr. Placebo - cheers mate - all your efforts are much appreciated.

Placebo, in all honesty I was getting suspicious about U being some kind of undercover EA marketing guy when U tried to justify the keeper positing.

LOL well I don't blame you, I have been praising the game a lot today so I can imagine some being cynical. But as most people know I work for Bohemia Interactive Studio so it's not really possible to also work for EA, although I do believe they're looking to hire a community manager in Singapore so maybe I should consider it ;)

But I went out to look for some free-kick video's to see if you right..and yes..keepers do trust on their wall allot..it is strange I never noticed this before.

Just one example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRdv3ai9UYc
pause at 0:28

See! ;)

One tidbit for now, according to the EA guy, there is no hard coded limit in edit mode for next gen other than the storage space you have available (for example memory card/hard drive), I should mention he was going from memory and he's not 100% certain, but if it's true that's great news :)

does that mean we can actually set the real boots for any player?? and possibly edit every stat for every play??
i remeber i read somewhere that in 08 we can edit evan players face that fave generic ones...if thats true, editing heaven is back baby!

It probably means we can have as many created players as we like?

Brilliant! Can't wait to try this demo.

If only they included accurate goal/nets for stadiums such as Nou Camp. The nets in those videos look a bit took transparent and not solid in color as they look in PES2008.

Response time looks great in those vids. I can't wait to play around with the skill stick in the EA arena with Ronnie.

Great..I can hear the video but am unable to view it. It says something about not having the right codec. :-(

Image is photoshopped, look at the foot of the player on the left at the back. There is a clear line where they have blurred the background and missed part of his foot. Actually its also visible with the nr 5's right foot. A bit missed in the blurring lets you see fence and stand more detailed. Edit nr3, just going round each players contour shows it. Makes you wonder whether they have only blurred it to highlight the players or have also done work on the players themselves. Either way i cant say i care, its not like ill be viewing the game like that anyway.

Although im not sure what santiago is on about :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom