FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Love the fact they have named the Premier League and Football league, Barclays and Coca-Cola, little things like that impress me.

Favourite bit was probably the shooting, as mentioned with the Alonso shot, it wasn't a goal but everything about it, receiving the ball, moving into space, taking aim, shooting, watching the ball travel and dip, waiting for it to nestle in the back of the net, seeing Lehman dive, seeing his arm stretch out, seeing his hand pawing at the ball, watching him "get a big hand to the ball", watching it go out for a corner, audibly going "oooooh" cos it all looked so sweet, that was the best part.

Beating a human defender with a skill move is also high up there.

Saving a penalty in the 3rd minute against the EA guy was also nice (I went for the old faithful keeper's bottom right and it worked), unfortunately I didn't clear the rebound and he ended up scoring anyway but it was still sweet!

Least favourite? I'll have to have a think about that, the most frustrating thing was simply using a control scheme you're not used to.

Maybe through balls on the wings, especially when I was Wednesday I had a player moving into space and I couldn't really chip in a through ball enough ahead of him, but I'm assuming that's simply due to not having manual passing that I'm used to :)

Tranmere with 1 star, at least they have done their research and gone with realism. ;)

@placebo

What about the player skills? Can you feel the difference between ronaldinho and for example materrazi? In the PC Version all players can dribble,shoot, run........ like C Ronaldo or Ronaldinho.

edit: You are an admin @ fifa forum/site?

Thanks a millions Placebo. I think everyone was really dying for some final confirmation that this game is worth the anticipation. Again, thanks for putting that little football crazy spot in my brain to rest.

Now I know which game I will get first. But the tougher question is; PS3 or XBOX360? Most EA games are designed for 360. But PS3 has better controls and free online play.

Last edited:

The Power I'm not ignoring you I will answer every question I promise, some are quicker to answer, that's the only reason I jumped ahead of yours :)

Uploading the rest of the videos now

I know I'm not a regular post-er on here (often quietly agreeing/disagreeing with comments on here!) but I wanted to say thanks for all the info you guys get for us.

As a Southend fan, I was interested to see Tranmere are 1 star?! What does that make us now we keep selling our decent players?! And does that make league 2 sides 1/2 star etc?

Thanks again

Thanks for the vids even though 2 are a blur. lol. It looks like Deon Burton is finally black in 08' if I could tell correct from your arena video and they the little afro as well. So How much of an improvemnt over UCL is it?

There's double the viewers in this forum than there is in the WE forum, mwahaha, the fools are slowly realising...

;)

Isnt it funny how there's over 105 pages on a pro evo forum about Fifa....the work is spreading, your luck if there's 15 pages on the 360 forum about the game.

Woooo!! Sorry I'll try and calm down a bit. Is it better than UCL? What stood out most for you. I'm so excited I've forgotten what quesrtions I wanna ask. But please tell me the guy who was Arsenal was a total newb because Liverpool 4-1 just aint right. How was the shooting and did scoring give you satisfaction?

Yes it's better than UCL without a doubt, even though I'm a big fan of UCL I think this has an all round better feel to it and I really enjoyed playing it.

Yeah the guy who played as Arsenal was a noob, he said it was his first time playing Fifa as he normally plays WE (in fact halfway through he had to ask me which was the shoot button because of course Fifa default is opposite to WE/PES so I had to tell him!).

Shooting I think I've mentioned in fair depth but to reiterate shooting is superb, and scoring is very satisfying, but I'd say that the really nice moves you can put together are almost as satisfying, I put together some great moves as Sheffield Wednesday but sadly I had no end product (just like the Owls in real life!)

What about the player skills? Can you feel the different between ronaldinho and for example materrazi? In the PC Version all players can dribble,shoot, run........ like C Ronaldo or Ronaldinho.

I only played as Liverpool and Sheffield Wednesday, plus a little time as Christiano Ronaldo in the arena, I can say for sure that playing as Liverpool and playing as Sheffield Wednesday feels different, and I found myself playing different, I actually played a shorter game with Wednesday because they didn't have the speed/skills/passing/movement that Liverpool had to play a slightly more direct game that having 3 tall players up front (Babel, Torres, Kuyt) makes me feel like playing.

I would say that different players play and "feel" (I know you like that word ;)) differently, Gerrard as I mentioned is powerful in tackle, strong at running with the ball, Babel is more skilful and agile, Kuyt is less skilful but stronger. Christiano Ronaldo from what little I used him in the arena moves and reacts on another level compared to the average Liverpool or Wednesday player, I guess as he should :)

Whether or not the difference between players will be enough to make everyone happy I don't know, but at the end of the day I'm very, very impressed and happy with what I've played :)

so with the increase of player stats, i think we can tweak the players stats for a perfect footi sim like we did in PES! thats something that move the game to a other dimension...

Yeah I think that's the good thing about the amount of stats they have, people must remember that with UCL 360 especially the amount of stats each player had was reduced greatly compared to 07 and 08 because of the whole trading card aspect.

Also it's not just about the attributes you can see, certain players have hidden attributes which help to define the player they are, for example Gerrard is strong on the ball, has a powerful long shot, Lampard will shoot as soon as he can see the goal etc. etc.

id like to say thanks placebo for taking the time and effort to give us an opinion we can trust of the game. Thank you.

You're very welcome, I primarily went because I was jonesing so much for a Fifa fix but to be able to share some info with you guys is also cool :)

As for whether you can trust my opinion, I certainly wouldn't lie about anything but remember I came into the game being more of a fan of Fifa at this point in time than a fan of PES, but all I can do is answer questions as the best I can :)

Placebo out of 10 what would you give it on first impressions.

Hmm I'd say 8.5, I didn't get to see any of manager mode, and I couldn't figure out where you edit a player to change his appearance and skin tone etc. etc. so I think 8.5 right now is a fair score :)

How much better than UCL would you say it is?

How much better than UCL? At least 50%, 07 - UCL I thought was about 25% better so you could say 07 is 75% better than 08 ;)

The shooting alone is 37 times as good as 07 and 23 times as good as UCL ;)

edit: You are an admin @ fifa forum/site?

LOL I can understand you asking but no I'm not an admin or anything on any Fifa site, I post under a pseudonym on the official EA forums because I like to be quite vocal in having a whine about the things they leave out of the next gen version. The only football game forum I'm really affiliated with in any way is this one, well if you exclude the vital Sheffield Wednesday forum ;)

As a Southend fan, I was interested to see Tranmere are 1 star?! What does that make us now we keep selling our decent players?! And does that make league 2 sides 1/2 star etc?

Thanks again

I reckon you must be rated higher than at least Tranmere now cos you've just signed the big fella from us, Leon Clarke, who I rate pretty highly even though a number of Owls fans don't, if your fans get behind him and support him I believe he'll score you a few goals :)

The wife's home now so it's snuggle time, but I'll be happy to answer more questions later after we have swimming lessons, I have a fair bit more info to share, especially about the whole "Gary Neville skill move" question ;)

Placebo

brilliant input and I would like to exspress my gratitude for making so much effort in giving us your impressions.

How would you rate the collision physics, have they improved so there is little stop/start when players collide?

Is the actual pace of the player realistic, ie when you try to pull away from a defender, do you get the feeling of him accelerating?

How would you rate the overall atmosphere of the game? ie sound, crowd, lighting and stadia.

Is the ref more forgiving allowing the game to flow?

Which one are you most looking forward to, PES or FIFA and why??

Thankyou matey

Tnx Placebo, i have a couple of questions;

- How is the response compared to UCL? The same or a bit tighter? (My main issue as the rest seems to be great atm)

- Did you manage to see the speed setting? (Probably not as i would expect it to be in the controller setup)

so you could say 07 is 75% better than 08

Oh o, something for the pesfanboys to quote you one :lol:

I forgot to ask the most important one of all (to most people who don't like FIFA); are the response times any better? At all?

EDIT: The tikmeister has just asked, never mind :)

One quick answer before I leave for swimming lessons :)

Response time IMO is much improved over UCL (although I never had a problem with UCL), Fifa08 seems to react much quicker :)

Back
Top Bottom