FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

The shooting is highly impressive, I ended up using Christian Ronaldo in the arena for some reason, even though I dislike him, I tried some shooting from around 20-25 yards and it was a thing of beauty, ball moves really well, good speed about it, sent one drive crashing off the crossbar :)

During the Liverpool v Arsenal game I hit a shot with Alonso that was probably the highlight of my experience with 08, he's about 25 yards out, in the "inside left" position as they like to call it, I point him towards the far post then shoot to the left post, medium height dipping shot, fair amount of power, I'm about to celebrate but then Lehman pulled off a fantastic full stretch one handed save to push it out for a corner, looked really class :)

EA have speeded up the "powering up" of crosses and shots and such so at first if you're used to UCL you'll find yourself hitting shots over the bar, but once you get used to it you get your timing back and can really hit the ball well, the movement of the ball from shots just looks fantastic, really smooth and organic, looks spot on and not elasticy or whatever like older Fifa's, it somewhat reminded me of PES' shooting in the way that it felt pure and organic.

Placebo, you lucky sod :D

What ball was used for the Steel derby?? Football League??

Net Physics any good??

Computer AI smooth??

Any major glitches that stood out??

Sorry for all the questions, just really excited!! :)

To be honest balls and net physics are never something I notice because they don't interest me all that much. I did talk to the EA guy for about 10-15 mins before I actually got to play so net physics was one of the things I mentioned because I know how a lot of you are really into it.

I commented that recent videos have been meeting with a better response than the Leipzig version and he said that yes it's a newer build that was shown recently (eg gamespot vids), and the version they were showing in Singapore is only about a week or two old, much newer than the Leipzig floor demo, the version they let us play today is pretty much the full version of the game rather than a limited demo.

I only played versus another human so can't really comment on AI, goalkeepers seemed to do what they're supposed to do and obviously they're AI so that's something, when I first a couple of people were playing separately against the AI and from what I saw the AI attacked and moved in a very convincing way.

I don't remember any glitches, I'll try to rack my brain ;)

One thing that was very cool, I passed back to Reina, the guy I was playing closed him down with Van Persie and when I powered up kick and released it Reina panicked because of the pressure and fluffed his kick resulting in an almost air shot, the ball only just left the box, fortunately my defenders were awake and cleared it, very cool and very accurate I thought :)

I just fell asleep watching the bill so I'll make some coffee and upload the pics/vids I took, as I said please don't expect anything much quality wise but maybe there'll be something of interest :)

Interesting read Placebo, did you notice players play differently? Did the Liverpool players play as you'd expect them to? What was the Liverpool first team?

Liverpool first team IIRC:

Reina
Finnan Carragher Agger Riise
Pennant Gerrard Alonso Babel
Torres Kuyt

I was mostly focussing on my own game but one player who stood out was Fabregas for Arsenal, his movement and passing I thought looked very good, he seemed to be always in space when the guy passed to him and when Fabregas passed he generally passed well. van Persie also seemed very much to move and shoot and such as van Persie should do, for Liverpool I made some good bustling runs with Gerrard, he's very strong so can win the ball well and also run past players if they don't make very strong challenges, I believe at least one of my goals was a Gerrard assist which was nice, Kuyt header from a Gerrard cross IIRC.

Skill wise it takes practice to get the timing right for the moves, at first I was doing them too late before a challenge so lost the ball, later on especially in the last 20 mins of the Arse/Live game my timing was better but certain players were better than others, I had most success with Ryan Babel, I guess because he's athletic and skillful but also because being on the wing you get a little more time, I tried skillmoves with Kuyt but struggled to pull anything off, I did round the keeper rather nicely with Kuyt and tap into an empty net which I especially liked ;)

Sweet, can't remember the last time I've seen a player round a keeper in a football game! Did you trick past him or just normal stick movements?

hi fifa-folks,

very exciting news! fifa 08 will bi my first fifa since Fifa RTWC98...looking forward to it...looks really pretty...

(i'm coming from the PES section, i pre-order both footi games...)anyway....

my question; im playing always with in-game tactics....i have 4 tactis each game --> pressing, counterattack, full attack and offside!

i can remember that in fifa RTWC98 it was possible to activ the offside with the L2 shoulder button...

will the in-game tactics be in fifa 08?

i think for a footi sim, this features is indispensable!

raffau

First few pics, the Neville ones came out really well and show something not seen before I believe? Player stats......

We (the EA guy and I) ended up doing a lot with Gary Neville because I used him as the example for the concern a lot of people have for doing skill moves (a little more on that later), so Neville ended up as the player selected in the Arena and then the guy showed me Nevilles stats (I specifically asked if I could see what attributes make up each player).

(ignore the fact that the first pic doesn't show Neville, that's because there's a slight pause whilst it loads the selected player and my photo finger was a little faster than the 360!)

I didn't manage to catch all the stats as he scrolled through but as you can see from the scrollbar there's something like 20-30 stats and attributes so they really add up to making a player unique from another player, also something which I only just noticed now is that a player finally has more than one position if applicable, Neville as you can see is listed as RB/CB/RWB and his "top attributes" are about what you'd expect them to be for Neville.

^^Snoop^^ I think it was simply a case of rounding the keeper by moving to the side as he rushed out at me, a few times I did beat the defender coming to tackle me by doing a skill move and I can tell you now it feels sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, and I'm someone who when it was announced about the skillmoves being in 08 went "blahh", but now I've seen them and tried them it's fantastic, a couple of times to tease the guy I had the ball with Gerrard, stood still then started doing "keepy uppy" until he came to tackle me then passed the ball off!

Is Neville black on that picture? He's white on the second picture, but the first one showing the team selection shows a black face?

Those stats are a bit crap, Nani is a bit better than 81, as is Hargreaves, Tevez. And how does Vidic get 85?! He's awful!

Edit: Just read your comment about Neville :)

Last edited by a moderator:

my question; im playing always with in-game tactics....i have 4 tactis each game --> pressing, counterattack, full attack and offside!

i can remember that in fifa RTWC98 it was possible to activ the offside with the L2 shoulder button...

will the in-game tactics be in fifa 08?

I can confirm that yes you use the D-pad as before to choose an attacking or defending tactic same as current gen or 07/UCL next gen :)

UCL uses the R1 button? to make your defenders play offside, I'm sure it's in 08 but I couldn't find the button that did it, the control scheme was not one I'm used to, I did change it 10 mins into the Steel City derby but I don't think I found the one I'm used to from UCL, my excuse for being 2 down ;)

My first post!!!

What about aerial play, because 1up are complaining that there are some problems with this...

As mentioned it's simply because it's still showing the pic of a previous player, maybe Nani or Saha?

Here's a couple of random pics, one of Fifa 08 on the wii (at GCA they had 2x Fifa08 360, 1x Fifa08 Wii then about 20 linked PCs playing "Fifa online")

And here's an obligatory "booth babe" pic, I was under orders from the wife not to photograph any ;) but I felt sorry for this girl, she was in a dark corner of the hall, clearly nobody was interested in the game she was there to show as nobody was there and she had to stand there with this big book for some reason! So I went up and asked if I could take her picture to cheer her up ;)

My first post!!!

What about aerial play, because 1up are complaining that there are some problems with this...

As in heading towards goal to try to score and heading out of the box to clear when you're a defender? I thought is was pretty much as it should be, if you're in a better position than the guy you're challenging then you'll win the ball most likely, if the guy you're challenging is a stronger player who is better in the air then he might well win the ball, during the Blades v Owls game Steve Watson won a lot of headers in the box which he should have done because he's a big fat strong bugger ;) During Arsenal v Liverpool Carragher dominated Arsenal in the air because he was mostly challenging van Persie who is neither strong nor a good header, at the other end Kuyt won a couple of headers "he had no right to win" because he was up against weaker players with less heading ability, and as I mentioned I scored one very nice headed goal during the game, I'm pretty sure I hit the crossbar with a header from Frannie Jeffers as well :)

Last edited:

Mmmm she's very nice, lovely eyes and smile :) What game was she there for?

As in heading towards goal to try to score and heading out of the box to clear when you're a defender? I thought is was pretty much as it should be, if you're in a better position than the guy you're challenging then you'll win the ball most likely, if the guy you're challenging is a stronger player who is better in the air then he might well win the ball, during the Blades v Owls game Steve Watson won a lot of headers in the box which he should have done because he's a big fat strong bugger ;) During Arsenal v Liverpool Carragher dominated Arsenal in the air because he was mostly challenging van Persie who is neither strong nor a good header, at the other end Kuyt won a couple of headers "he had no right to win" because he was up against weaker players with less heading ability, and as I mentioned I scored one very nice headed goal during the game, I'm pretty sure I hit the crossbar with a header from Frannie Jeffers as well :)

Thanks mate!!

great impressions placebo!!!
placebo how you fell the passes in the game!??
they are really 100% free??
you can do long balls from where you want in the game!??
and the teammates AI??
they really move around you trying to get you a options from passes??
i see in the pics from neville attributes, one call movement??
this indicate if players run more or less in the pitch or is the movement with the ball???

Mmmm she's very nice, lovely eyes and smile :) What game was she there for?

LOL I have absolutely no idea, she was in a dark corner near a TV which appeared to be showing something in a similar theme to what she was wearing but it didn't interest me enough to stop!

There were actually loads of games being shown, Mercenaries 2, Crysis, Graw2 PS3, everybodys golf etc. etc. but I didn't really pay any of them much attention, I was only there for the Fifa ;)

Getting the pics and vids off my phone now, hopefully there's something of note :)

So cruel mate, you should've went over to her, showed some interest in the game and make it look like she was doing a decent job. The poor girl probably wont be used by that company again. Shame. :)

great impressions placebo!!!
placebo how you fell the passes in the game!??
they are really 100% free??
you can do long balls from where you want in the game!??
and the teammates AI??
they really move around you trying to get you a options from passes??
i see in the pics from neville attributes, one call movement??
this indicate if players run more or less in the pitch or is the movement with the ball???

Unfortunately by default player switching and passing assistance were turned on and to a high degree, I didn't really feel like I could stand there for 10 mins in front of the EA guy turning off all the assistance so I just made do with it, normally I'd prefer manual player switching and completely manual passing so my feelings for the passing/switching were a little bit lowered because of that.

So yes you can do long balls from whereever you want, it looks like players can actually kick a little further as I played a long ball with Carragher and it actually went all the way through to Lehman with just two bounces which seemed improved over 07/UCL 360.

AI movement seemed very good, I couldn't figure out which button made the AI do runs for me but they seemed more than smart enough to do it themselves anyway, during the Owls v Blades match especially I did some really, really nice passing moves, short one-twos, through balls into space etc. etc. I guess it partly helped because stat wise the players were slower than the Liverpool/Arsenal players :)

I'm afraid I don't know what movement is for but at a guess I'd say it's his movement off the ball, moving into space to be smart defensively as well as moving into space in an attacking sense to give options to the player on the ball.

Woooo!! Sorry I'll try and calm down a bit. Is it better than UCL? What stood out most for you. I'm so excited I've forgotten what quesrtions I wanna ask. But please tell me the guy who was Arsenal was a total newb because Liverpool 4-1 just aint right. How was the shooting and did scoring give you satisfaction?

I can confirm that yes you use the D-pad as before to choose an attacking or defending tactic same as current gen or 07/UCL next gen :)

UCL uses the R1 button? to make your defenders play offside, I'm sure it's in 08 but I couldn't find the button that did it, the control scheme was not one I'm used to, I did change it 10 mins into the Steel City derby but I don't think I found the one I'm used to from UCL, my excuse for being 2 down ;)

uhhhhhhhhhhh yes...definetly head to head fight with pes! looking forward....hahahaah, they play on "my" monitor...got the same DELL monitor....holly shit....the pics looking awesome...

raffau

What about the player skills? Can you feel the different between ronaldinho and for example materrazi? In the PC Version all players can dribble,shoot, run........ like C Ronaldo or Ronaldinho.

Unfortunately by default player switching and passing assistance were turned on and to a high degree, I didn't really feel like I could stand there for 10 mins in front of the EA guy turning off all the assistance so I just made do with it, normally I'd prefer manual player switching and completely manual passing so my feelings for the passing/switching were a little bit lowered because of that.

So yes you can do long balls from whereever you want, it looks like players can actually kick a little further as I played a long ball with Carragher and it actually went all the way through to Lehman with just two bounces which seemed improved over 07/UCL 360.

AI movement seemed very good, I couldn't figure out which button made the AI do runs for me but they seemed more than smart enough to do it themselves anyway, during the Owls v Blades match especially I did some really, really nice passing moves, short one-twos, through balls into space etc. etc. I guess it partly helped because stat wise the players were slower than the Liverpool/Arsenal players :)

I'm afraid I don't know what movement is for but at a guess I'd say it's his movement off the ball, moving into space to be smart defensively as well as moving into space in an attacking sense to give options to the player on the ball.

thanks very much placebo!!!
so great to read this!!!!!!!!!
this means that players will moving around the pitch very different one with other!!!!!!
this it will make the game so great to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the infos!!!!!!!!!!!
can´t wait more for demo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

so with the increase of player stats, i think we can tweak the players stats for a perfect footi sim like we did in PES! thats something that move the game to a other dimension...

I'll get to the next round of questions shortly, need to convert the videos on my phone from 3gp which I'll do now, hopefully they turned out better than the photos I took on it :(

I've checked the vids and 2 are pretty useless but I'll upload them anyway, 1 is Yoann Folly of Sheffield Wednesday in the Arena, I was trying to do skill moves with him one handed whilst holding my phone!

Brilliant stuff Placebo, I can't wait to see that Sheff Wed v Tranmere pic. :D EDIT: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah!! Hold on a minute, ONE STAR?! Cheeky bastards...

Quick question (my favourite question to people who play a game I want to play)... What was your favourite thing about the game, and what was your least favourite thing about it?

Back
Top Bottom