FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

It's not just one in essence though, considering it did happen in UEFA CL and a lot of people noticed it (and here we are, ten videos later, and it's there - so it could happen once every ten games, which still isn't good enough really).

Excuse me for being so downbeat Dr Force, I would just hate for a great game to be ruined by one stupid thing. It's the most frustrating feeling in the world when you feel that you could love a game, only for one thing to repeat like a broken record and spoil it completely. I'm still expecting to love the game and the heading looks absolutely fantastic (so far the passing, shooting and heading have all been the most realistic I've seen so far in a football game, ever). Which, to repeat myself again, is why it would be such a monstrous shame if one thing spoiled everything.

It's not just one in essence though, considering it did happen in UEFA CL and a lot of people noticed it (and here we are, ten videos later, and it's there - so it could happen once every ten games, which still isn't good enough really).

Excuse me for being so downbeat Dr Force, I would just hate for a great game to be ruined by one stupid thing. It's the most frustrating feeling in the world when you feel that you could love a game, only for one thing to repeat like a broken record and spoil it completely. I'm still expecting to love the game and the heading looks absolutely fantastic (so far the passing, shooting and heading have all been the most realistic I've seen so far in a football game, ever). Which, to repeat myself again, is why it would be such a monstrous shame if one thing spoiled everything.

Im with Jack on this one, its not as if you can avoid the goalkeeper AI its one of the most important features within the game.

Hopefully the bug doesnt occur to often.

Jack I feel your pain.

being downbeat?? i think you are just being honest, it does not help being a perfectionist but I take on your point about it being a major flaw.

I just cannot see it being as big as the speed glitch, bad collision, non existant heading,tackling etc which we had in 07 and a bit of in UCL.it will no way distract from the game as much as they did and hey...if a goalkeeper makes an AI mistake once every ten games then 4 mistakes in a season is alright with me.

I think we are getting a bit anxious because you can see its almost hit the money, everything has improved soo much, all the things you mention are fanastic, it looks like a real game and is playing some fantastic ball physics.but its FIFA and we have seen so many last gen titles get screwed over by glitches and bugs it kinda makes us feel like we are waiting for something to bring it crashing down.

I dont think we have to worry for this game, it will be flawed in area's but nothing like anything FIFA has produced before it.

One dodgy goal and all of a sudden the Keeper AI is awful, will ruin the game and the overall experience.......c'mon guys lets get this into perspective. Did CW mention how appaling the keepers were, no he said they had improved, di kenny m say the same, have you heard any person thats played the demo mention that keepers seem a bit hit and miss??

you cannot draw an assumption of the game from those few shots, what difficulty was it on?? nobody knows.

i remeber slagging an early video off from mexico but looking at now in comparison its a different class, the nets have improved 500% from leipzig 2 weeks ago, its still in development until it goes gold or confirmation that the code has been locked.

Everyone needs to lighten up, the game looks class.

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Hi, i'm a Pes player, i'm considering to switch to Fifa. I would ask some question to you:

Can you send as many player as you want inside the box for a corner? can you decide who?

Are there indirect free kicks (two touch)
Can you score an indirect free kick?

Can you jump when you want, or is the cpu that decide the right time in order to head?
In this case, can you jump to chest the ball?
Can you make lob's headings?
Can you make a very short high ball?
Can you easily make a through ball exactly over the opponent's defense?
Can you make a feint in wich you let the ball pass, without touching?
Since there is not the supercancel (feature that i use a lot in PES), if you pass the ball to a mate, and he is running towards the goal, can you force him to go toward the ball (the opposite direction he was running) as soon as you can?
If a ball is going out and you are chasing it but you don't want to touch it, can you make it?
Can you protect the ball without touching it?
Is the shot really aiming 360°?
Can you make an intentional foul?
Are the highh ball playable, or you'd better just pass ground balls?
Can you switch tactics during the play? can you build different formations and assign them a button to be switched as a tactics?
Can you decide if the defence must stay high or not?

Thank you

Well I'll be!!!

I think EA finally got the net animations right. They look and animate smoothly and realistically in this video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24565.html

This proves again that the folks at EA are reading and listening to die hard futbol fans. Especially those who have played Winning Eleven games for years.

EA, I thank you personally for fixing the nets, and for listening to us Net-Freaks.

The nets, oh my Lord, they look beautiful!

Thank you!

Now, I await patiently for the demo.

Last edited:

Can you send as many player as you want inside the box for a corner? can you decide who? No

Are there indirect free kicks (two touch) Not sure
Can you score an indirect free kick? Not sure

Can you jump when you want, or is the cpu that decide the right time in order to head? Yes and no... You have to time the button-press right or, in FIFA 08 by the looks of things, you'll miss the header and fall over. BUT, I would imagine this is only possible when the ball is close to your head. If you press to jump before the ball has reached you closely enough, I don't think you'll jump
In this case, can you jump to chest the ball? No, this is automatic
Can you make lob's headings? Not sure what you mean - do you mean can you lob the ball with one player and then head with another? If so, yes
Can you make a very short high ball? Yes
Can you easily make a through ball exactly over the opponent's defense? Yes, too easily in FIFA 07 because it always lead to goals, although this is apparently being fixed for FIFA 08
Can you make a feint in wich you let the ball pass, without touching? Not at the moment, but you may be able to in FIFA 08 with the trick-stick
Since there is not the supercancel (feature that i use a lot in PES), if you pass the ball to a mate, and he is running towards the goal, can you force him to go toward the ball (the opposite direction he was running) as soon as you can? No, unfortunately. Thankfully this isn't required as often as in PES though. And FIFA 08 might have a supercancel, who knows
If a ball is going out and you are chasing it but you don't want to touch it, can you make it? Yes, thank God; if you stop moving the stick/pad, the player will stop moving
Can you protect the ball without touching it? Yes
Is the shot really aiming 360°? Well if you're facing forwards you can't shoot backwards, that would be a 180 and that would be impossible :p But yes, shooting is totally free, "360°", in FIFA 08
Can you make an intentional foul? You can press "slide tackle" and get yourself a red card easily, if you're behind a player for example. Is that what you mean?
Are the high ball playable, or you'd better just pass ground balls? You can use high balls.
Can you switch tactics during the play? can you build different formations and assign them a button to be switched as a tactics? Not currently, perhaps in FIFA 08
Can you decide if the defence must stay high or not? You can put their offensive arrows to high, but there is currently no "defensive line" setting

Thank you You're welcome, hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Is it me or has all the in game videos (not including be a pro) not included anyone doing or attempting any skill?

Tis a genuine question.

One word awesome!

Shooting, headers, touch was all superb definitely a big step up videos proper wowed me.

But i agree on the dodgy keeping but superb shot from Rosicky and cracking save from Cech later.

Fifa 08 certainly bringing the big guns i will get both games like always do but im glad to see Fifa stepping up looks set to be cracker. :)

I think it was Adonis who said ages ago though, that the goalkeepers in FIFA are like Jekyll & Hyde. One minute they're making wonder-saves and the next they're diving under the ball and letting it go in. From that video, there may be new animations, but the GK AI looks the same.

since when have the goalkeeper AI been excellent in any footie game? PES has Jekyll & Hyde keepers too.. and it seems just about every football game ever has goalkeeper AI issues.. this is why it's a must to have the manual keeper option available.. but EA only has it in it's current gen which is the biggest let down of FIFA 08 next gen at the moment. It's retarded that we had manual keeper back in the old fifa days on the sega genesis and can't even have it on the 360/PS3.. what gives?

why doesnt the crowd go nuts when the goal goes in? if i remember clearly in the previous old videos they did but why not now. also would be interested to see if there is proper segregation of fans for example if arsenal were to score against chelsea, ud see the away fans jumping around cheering while the rest of the stadium sat still

Back, holy shit Fifa08 is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Was fortunate enough to get chatting with an EA Producer there, he showed me a bunch of stuff in Fifa and I played a match against him :)

I played two full matches in total, Sheffield United (the EA producer) v Sheffield Wednesday (me), lost 2-0 but it was a really good match, I made loads of chances but couldn't convert them (just like real life!). Dirty cheating blades had Lee Hendrie sent off for two yellows! :)

Second match was Arsenal v Liverpool, me as Liverpool against a guy who was there, I won 4-1, 1st 60 mins was really close but I pulled away in the end with a couple of quick goals :)

I have some information to share which I'll do later, also some pics/videos but I warn you now the quality will be very, very poor because they're from pda/cellphone.

One tidbit for now, according to the EA guy, there is no hard coded limit in edit mode for next gen other than the storage space you have available (for example memory card/hard drive), I should mention he was going from memory and he's not 100% certain, but if it's true that's great news :)

Oh and Jack, I have a photo of Sheffield Wednesday v Tranmere Rovers select screen in be a pro mode, unfortunately a guy then asked if I would play 2 player against him and as I'd been there a while I didn't want to say no so that's all I have ;)

Edit: Oh and I noticed Wade Small wasn't black enough so I complained and he's going to try get it fixed before release!

Also I made some suggestions about how the crowd should respond dynamically, for example if I make a bad tackle and injure an opposing player the opposing crowd should then boo that player for the remainder of the game, if I try to do a skill move and fail the opposing crowd should jeer, if I sell a player then when I play against him for his new team the fans of my team should boo him, he's going to Email the suggestions to the dev team :)

Last edited:

Yes I have, Sheffield Wednesday's team stats are all around 55-60, I told the EA guy that was very wrong and they should all be at 99!

Placebo, you lucky sod :D

What ball was used for the Steel derby?? Football League??

Net Physics any good??

Computer AI smooth??

Any major glitches that stood out??

Sorry for all the questions, just really excited!! :)

Back
Top Bottom